CAG Beer Drinkers Unite! Beer Snobs and Cheap Ass Drunks Welcome!

The Ranger was my least favorite as well, but I'm just not a huge fan of pale ales. Plus my variety pack doesn't come with Shift. Instead it has a Pilsner called Blue Paddle which is quite nice. The Snapshot is good too, I do like my wheat ales. On top of that it's on sale around here for $13, which is a great deal for a 12 pack. Plus I like the cans. They're easier to store and dispose of.

otj0vr.png
I tried these (the variety pack with this one) soon after we talked about them. I want to say around fourth of july weekend and they were good. I'm also a fan of the cans.

New Belgium (Fat Tire) started selling these variety packs. It's perfect for me.

new-belgium-folly-variety-pack-coming-in-cans-L-RVgVod.png
My local Costco has cases for $9.97ish. I picked up three. They have a best by date of 9/14/14 but it shouldn't be a problem drinking these over the next few weekends.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up a 6-pack of Sea Dogs Nut Ale on Sunday for NFL games. Nice salty/caramel flavor, light head, good body. Not sure the a/c but the last one had me feeling it by the time afternoon games were over! Little pricey $11, but it may have just been the cannery I went to get them. Worth a try if you like a light flavored dark beer!

Little let down.  I never did get a call or email about Founders Dissenter and Perennial Savant Blanc being in.  I think it was Founders I was told I could change to the Missouri store and the Illinois should have it the next week. I was never sent anything saying it was in.  I was never told anything about the Perennial.  I did however find more of the Deschutes' Black Butte XXVI.  I hope it will hold out till New Years.  As for the other 2 that I listed when I posted about the Deschutes' Black Butte XXVI they're still on the list so I have no clue if they came out and the list was never updated or not.  Still no luck with the Dogfish Head pumpkin beer.

I just finished a Labatt's Blue! It really isn't a good beer by any stretch but my wife wanted a pilsner and it was totally the only semi-decent pilsner at Target last night...

Picked up the Sam Adams Adventures in Lager case mix pack at Costco a couple weeks ago. Very impressed! they have stepped up their game with the mix packs in my opinion. 7, 8, 8.4% abv beers. Good beers. The Vixen - Chocolate Chili Bock - I sort of cringed thinking this was gonna be the stinker. It wasn't - it was great! I was expecting their syrup-y, candy-like maltiness that just sorta makes me gag. This wasn't that at all. All the beers were well balanced with hops this time! The stinker for me - and it wasn't bad really - was the Double Pilsner - based on their Noble Pilsner - which is awesome. This one tasted like a kinda bad double IPA and it was soapy. I know why that happens now thanks to my last homebrew - too long in primary fermentation. Man, that's way too many dashes.

Went to an Oktoberfest fair on Friday. Beer was served in a proper 40oz beer stein. I believe the beer was Tuckers. Never had it but it was good. Nice atmosphere, rides for the kids while daddy sits and enjoys my beer and pretzel. I had 2 but I wish I could've stayed to have one more. It was getting late, past our daughters bed time. A bit pricey at $13 a beer and $11 for refills. The little German place by my work is $9 for a 40oz and they have a nice selection.

Just had the new Game of Thrones beer.  Had one last night and just had my other bottle.  Drink from the bottle last night and had it in a glass just now.  At 8% ABV I'm buzzed right now so my alcohol tolerance isn't what it used to be.  It was really good, better than the last one however not near as good as the Take the Black stout.  

Picked up some 90 minute IPA from Dogfish Head and YumYum from Three Floyds last week. Both are very very good. The Dogfish head you wouldn't even know is 9.0 ABV unless someone told you. Crazy smooth. YumYum is also excellent as expected from Floyds.

New place opened up not too long ago about 20 miles from me with a nice assortment of things. Their build a 6 aisle is awesome. Might head up there this weekend and pick up some more stuff. I can see myself spending a bunch of money if I'm not careful though LOL.

10563045_877007952327393_936762163704576135_n.jpg

Picked up some 90 minute IPA from Dogfish Head and YumYum from Three Floyds last week. Both are very very good. The Dogfish head you wouldn't even know is 9.0 ABV unless someone told you. Crazy smooth. YumYum is also excellent as expected from Floyds.

New place opened up not too long ago about 20 miles from me with a nice assortment of things. Their build a 6 aisle is awesome. Might head up there this weekend and pick up some more stuff. I can see myself spending a bunch of money if I'm not careful though LOL.

10563045_877007952327393_936762163704576135_n.jpg
If you like the Dogfish 90 Minute then the Victory Dirtwolf and Founders Double Trouble are a must! Really solid IPA's.

I've only had Headwaters and Hop Devil from Victory which were very solid. Don't think I've seen Dirtwolf. I have seen Double Trouble so I'll keep that in mind as well.

I did pick up the Breakfast Stout from Founders as well as Fat Jack from Sam Adams. I've had Pumpking and Pumpkick so far and REALLY enjoyed them even though I'm not big on pumpkin stuff.

Should be good on beer for at least 2 weeks now

Pick ups for this week! Was the last 6 pack of Zombie Dust as well as the last bomber of Pumking! Even though I live about 20 minutes from the FFF brewery I still have a hard time finding Zombie Dust on the shelves. Been a long time since I've had one of these and man does it deliver. Everything about this beer is amazing. I'm just glad it's not as scarce as before and they are producing it more.

1505493_905256549502533_7366179555142890445_n.jpg

I'm a cheapassdrinker. My phone is cheap too so that's why the picture is blurry.

NvKVcYj.jpg

C'mon guys we can't let this thread die! If nobody posts it will be me bumping it with screenshots of cheap $1.60 beers! Lol

Victory Harvest Ale! Such a nice hop flavor - soooo fresh and intense. It's only 6.5% but I only had one. Not really sessionable at all for me. And not sure what I'd follow it up with either.

Crown Valley Imperial Pumpkin Smash. 10.something abv pumpkin stout uh thing. A friend gave me two because he tried the other two and just couldn't get in to it. I can understand why. It's a major sipper. Two hours to finish it. It's got too many flavors - its all over the place! I've got one left and I'll drink it but I can't recommend this beer. I've got a one or two year old Pumpking in the cabinet I need to pull out and try - that's another one people love to hate on!

^^^ it's funny cause when I started drinking craft beers about 4 years back, the Pumking was universally loved...now of course for whatever reason it's now ''overrated''.. I myself am pumpkin beer out but still really enjoy a pumking from time to time.

Now that stout season is here I would like to know what stouts ya guys like too enjoy? Bourbon County should be out soon and Founders Breakfast stout is currently on the shelves. If ya can get it I highly recommend Epic Big Bad Baptist. An imperial stout brewed with coffee and aged in whisky barrels..called a KBS killer by some. Really excellent brew!

Another Hurricane. Moved into a new apartment with no smoking so that kind of takes the fun out of it. No not really, but going outside to smoke and drink, well, it's cold as hell. THAT takes the fun out of it.

Bought a bunch of nice beers for X-Mas for my dad, brother and myself to enjoy. Even picked up a couple new ones. I saw a New Belguim Yuzu Beer. I love Yuzu so it was a no brainier, I had to buy it. And tried a new beer called Einstok which is in Icelandic white ale. Sounded intresting.

2uyshw4.jpg

fvzbx2.jpg

Never tried either of those Rodimus - you have to let us know how they are.

I had a couple bombers over the holidays - Unobtanium old ale from a local brewery Straight to Ale and a Yazoo Sue imperial smoked porter from Yazoo outta Nashville. Both were aged about a year and were excellent! Also tried some Terrapin Hi-5 IPA which was ok - nothing special really.

My wife is drinking this OMission gluten free beer. It's real nice because they brew it with barley but use an enzyme to remove gluten. Tastes pretty darn good - well basically like a regular barley brewed beer. She likes the pale ale. Noticed today or yesterday that Stone is putting out their first gluten free (gluten "reduced") beer (an IPA) using the enzyme process. Also - in a moment of frustration because whatever store she was at didn't have OMission - she picked up a mix 12 pack of Woodchuck. Ughh it's awful - we both have been chugging through those just to get rid of them.

We are all kinda a bit under the weather here so I only had one beer on new year's eve - a DFH 120 min. Figured if I was gonna have just one why not make it a big one! Haven't had it in years but it was about how I remembered it. It's just not worth the price in my opinion. A friend of mine gave me this bottle a few months back so it wasn't really aged at all.

We got a nice haul for Christmas this year. My wife got me a bottle of Don Julio anejo and she got a couple bottles of wine and a bottle of Bulleit 10 year from work related gifts.

Trying something new even though the price for it this small bottle is $28 (That's 17 Hurricanes!). If this works well then I might say goodbye to those cheapy's.

Qkp4iRd.jpg

Who am I kiddin', love me some Hurricane's.

#CheapassDrunkSigningOff

I bought a case of this. Didn't do much at all and also smells skunky to me.
The skunky smell in beer won't happen with cans. That skunky smell is from exposure to UV light. It is why a lot of beers in green bottles are known for being skunky. Rolling Rock in bottles definitely could be skunky, but not cans.

Picked up some of that Not Your Father's Root Beer.  It's not that bad.  Not as great as I expected it to be, but it's not bad at all.  I can't even taste any alcohol in it, but you you drink enough that 5.9 will sneak up on you.  I'm not really sure what one I like better, Row Hard Root Beer or this.  Row Hard has more of an alcohol taste that seems a bit much, but good.  This like I said you can't even taste alcohol.  

So apparently people at our local store can't buy alcohol until 6am on Sundays. Had a bottle of rum and I was about to checkout when a clerk told us that. Not exactly sure why that is a rule.

So apparently people at our local store can't buy alcohol until 6am on Sundays. Had a bottle of rum and I was about to checkout when a clerk told us that. Not exactly sure why that is a rule.
State law in Illinois is noon on Sunday at gas stations, grocery and liquor stores. Really sucks for football.

On another note, way too much cheap beer last night. Ouch, ouch, ouch. Even with consuming tons of water throughout the night after I stopped drinking. Course it may also be a touch of nicotine poisoning from too many cigarettes going along with the beer.

State law in Illinois is noon on Sunday at gas stations, grocery and liquor stores. Really sucks for football.

On another note, way too much cheap beer last night. Ouch, ouch, ouch. Even with consuming tons of water throughout the night after I stopped drinking. Course it may also be a touch of nicotine poisoning from too many cigarettes going along with the beer.
I don't realize how much more I smoke when I drink. A couple days I would smoke so much it started to 'scorch' my throat. Had to put down the cigs for the night.

Anybody pick up some of the BCBS Rare that came out on black friday?  Curious to see if anyone bit at that ~$55-$60 per bottle places were charging.

Anybody pick up some of the BCBS Rare that came out on black friday? Curious to see if anyone bit at that ~$55-$60 per bottle places were charging.
I do not think Georgia got any because we still have a ABV cap of 14% on beer. In fact, we got a shipment of the wrong batch of regular Bourbon County so it couldn't be sold here (there was a 13.7 batch but they sent the 14+ stuff).

I am not sure if I would have paid that for a 500 ml bottle. I bought 6 of the 22oz ones a few years ago when I found them in a bar in Indianapolis. With their crazy tax it was about $65 a piece. Difference was I knew how good that batch was. I still have one left. If I knew this one was as good I would probably pay it.

Drinking Jagermeister this morning while surfing the web lol. I'm a slow drinker so I got a good buzz going after an hour or two filling up 1/4 of a cup twice.

On another note... I don't get why people like to rush to down alcohol as fast as possible. I know someone who's an alcoholic. He either gets black out drunk, or does stupid shit. Maybe I'm a minority here, but I like to pace myself when it comes to alcohol.

Drinking Jagermeister this morning while surfing the web lol. I'm a slow drinker so I got a good buzz going after an hour or two filling up 1/4 of a cup twice.

On another note... I don't get why people like to rush to down alcohol as fast as possible. I know someone who's an alcoholic. He either gets black out drunk, or does stupid shit. Maybe I'm a minority here, but I like to pace myself when it comes to alcohol.
So your friend is the alcoholic yet you're drinking Jager in the morning? Not that I'm one to judge. On my days off I like to have a 10am beer every now and then.

But to answer your post I pace myself big time. It usually takes me 2-3 hours to get at a nice buzzed state and I haven't been shit faced drunk in years. And I don't get drunk off beer anymore. I usually drink beer during meals or just to relax. My drink of choice these days is either bourbon or whisky. I only get bourbon because it's cheap and after 1 glass all hard liquor tastes the same to me. Weather I'm drinking a nice Irish whiskey or a cheap $10 bottle of E&J.

So your friend is the alcoholic yet you're drinking Jager in the morning? Not that I'm one to judge. On my days off I like to have a 10am beer every now and then.

But to answer your post I pace myself big time. It usually takes me 2-3 hours to get at a nice buzzed state and I haven't been shit faced drunk in years. And I don't get drunk off beer anymore. I usually drink beer during meals or just to relax. My drink of choice these days is either bourbon or whisky. I only get bourbon because it's cheap and after 1 glass all hard liquor tastes the same to me. Weather I'm drinking a nice Irish whiskey or a cheap $10 bottle of E&J.
Drinking during a certain time of day doesn't make you an alcoholic, in my opinion. It's when people fiend over it or get smashed a lot.

I'll have to try an Irish whisky sometime lol.

Well I'm drinking Joose "Original" now. Probably going to be my last beer for at least a couple weeks. I want to save up every penny for a goal of mine that's video game related. Cheers.

I'm spoiled in that where I live there's an abundance of microbrews and tons of selection and even the smallest of liquor stores. One of my favorite domestic brewers is Allagash and they're only a few hours north, such a great brewery to visit.

Another very highly regarded and popular brewer in my backyard is Treehouse.

Picked up some of that Not Your Father's Root Beer. It's not that bad. Not as great as I expected it to be, but it's not bad at all. I can't even taste any alcohol in it, but you you drink enough that 5.9 will sneak up on you. I'm not really sure what one I like better, Row Hard Root Beer or this. Row Hard has more of an alcohol taste that seems a bit much, but good. This like I said you can't even taste alcohol.
I'm not a huge fan of these styles of beer but after trying Not Your Fathers I had the Coney Island Root Beer and frankly I preferred it. The Not Your Fathers was more medicinal with sickly-sweet sugar flavor, but the Coney Island was like drinking spiked A&W root beer.

Like I said tho, I'm not a huge fan of that kind of beer.

The reason it all tastes the same is because no one actually savors the flavor of Irish whiskey. It's generally shooter fodder. You want to see a difference, buy Makers Mark then buy Johnny Walker Double Black. They're both whiskey at the core but quite different in finishing.

Or if you want to be cheap about it, look for Four Roses Bourbon then compare that to something like Cutty Sark. You will see not all whiskey is created equal.

I'm not a huge fan of these styles of beer but after trying Not Your Fathers I had the Coney Island Root Beer and frankly I preferred it. The Not Your Fathers was more medicinal with sickly-sweet sugar flavor, but the Coney Island was like drinking spiked A&W root beer.

Like I said tho, I'm not a huge fan of that kind of beer.

The reason it all tastes the same is because no one actually savors the flavor of Irish whiskey. It's generally shooter fodder. You want to see a difference, buy Makers Mark then buy Johnny Walker Double Black. They're both whiskey at the core but quite different in finishing.

Or if you want to be cheap about it, look for Four Roses Bourbon then compare that to something like Cutty Sark. You will see not all whiskey is created equal.
Coney Island came out where I'm at not long after Not Your Fathers and Row Hard. I think it's the better of the 3. None are something I'd want all the time, but every now and then are fine. They also have an orange cream ale. It's not bad, but for me it left a bad after taste. They do have beer, but I have yet to see that make it to the St. Louis area.

I picked up 2 more 2nd Shift LSD Stouts. I think it's only 11.5%, but for me the buzz lasts a lot longer than any other beer I've ever had. I have a bottle of Deschutes The Abyss. Never made it in time to get the Cognac or Rye versions. I'm going to try it today or tomorrow.

Favorite breweries: Stone. Ninkasi, Belching Beaver, Green Flash, Modern Times, Ballast Point, Knee Deep

They just seem to be consistent in different  ways. Stone makes nice, hoppy brews and are always making very unique experimental beers. Ninkasi is consistent with their IPA's, which are my favorite, as is the case with Green Flash. Modern Times takes traditional beer styles and adds a nice funky twist to the stuff, while Belching Beaver makes some of the best stouts (my second favorite type of brew) I've ever had, hands down. Ballast Point has always has solid IPA's but they've been KILLING IT with the fruity variations of their IPA's. The Watermelon Dorado DIPA is in my top 5 beers of all time. Knee Deep makes it up there as well with their Simtra TIPA, and they're just so consistent in making amazing TIPA's in general. Honorable mention to Russian River for both Pliny the Elder & Younger, undoubtedly the best IPA's I've ever had.

bread's done
Back