CAG Beer Drinkers Unite! Beer Snobs and Cheap Ass Drunks Welcome!

Just tried a Forbidden Root Shady Character.  I'm not sure what to think about it other than I'm glad it was only a 4 pack.  It's not bad, but it's also not really all that good.  I don't hate it, but I also don't like it.  If it came to this or Stag I'd just leave.  It's a Porter, and I can tell it's a Porter, but it also has not real taste to it at all.  It's brewed with black walnut, licorice, roasted chestnut and spices.  I get somewhat of a black licorice taste, but I think that's just because I read that it was brewed with licorice.

Just had the last of my Three Floyds Zombie Dust.  I'm not big on Pale Ales, but this one was really good.  

I keep seeing those Hard Root Beers everywhere. Is this like some kinda fad or something? I tried the Henery's Hard Root Beer. It was okay but I'm done after one.

I keep seeing those Hard Root Beers everywhere. Is this like some kinda fad or something? I tried the Henery's Hard Root Beer. It was okay but I'm done after one.
I'm expecting them to be the next big trend with the younger crowd, most of my peers love drinking shit that doesn't actually taste like alcohol. Not Your Father's Root Beer is good, but I'll stick to a good ol' beer myself.

I thought it was a younger crowd drink. Similar to Smirnoff back in the day. Everyone was drinking that bubbly shit. I did see a Orange Cream version. I might try that one since I love orange cream soda.

I haven't been too adventurous with my alcohol lately. Haven't tried anything new. Just going out buying my usual Blue Moon, Fat Tire or Narragansett.

I haven't been drinking much beer this winter. But I have had a glass of bourbon nearly every day!

I did have a couple beers at an out of town saloon/grille over the weekend when I went out to dinner with my wife. Stone Americano stout (which was an excellent beer) then followed up with a plain ol Stone IPA.

I'm eager to get back to brewing. We moved to a new house back last summer and I just haven't had time to get it all going again. Hopefully soon!

Does anybody here use Untappd?
I do. If you or anyone else from CAG wants to add me it's shazo. I don't usually type anything on it. Never been a fan of the limited characters.

On the subject of them I'm surprised to see they'er doing a March Madness bracket. Little upset to not see a St. Louis brewery from them. https://untappd.com/madness

I think it started after Not Your Fathers. They seemed to be a big one around here. Oddly enough without actually being distributed around here. I'm near St. Louis and a lot of people, at least out of the ones I've talked to, knew about them and wanted to try it. Then they started selling in the area. Only issue was they were sold out everywhere. After that you had Row Hard, Coney Island and not Best Damn Root Beer. Personally I like Coney Island more out of the 4 listed. I've seen online a listing of a Rogue Root Beer Porter, but I've never seen it sold anywhere. I'm not sure if it's really a fad or not. I think Not Your Fathers has been around for a long time. The others I'm not sure about. They seemed to come up around here because Not Your Fathers was so hard to get as soon as it came to the St. Louis area.

Anyway on to the beer I just finished off. It was a 2nd Shift LSD Coffee Stout. I love the 2nd Shift LSD Stout. I can drink one bottle and be buzzed for awhile from it. Oddly enough I can have a beer with more ABV than it and not feel it, but the LSD Stout I'm buzzing for awhile after just one bottle. The coffee is the same way. I wish it had a stronger coffee taste to it. I can smell the coffee, but I really can't taste it. It's more of a LSD Stout with the aroma of coffee. Still good, just lacking to me in a coffee taste. At 11 something percent I'm feeling it. Like I said I'm feeling it more than any other 11+ percent beer I've ever had.

bread's done
Back