CAG Beer Drinkers Unite! Beer Snobs and Cheap Ass Drunks Welcome!

Haven't been drinking a whole lot of beer lately. Mixing it up with wine and mixed drinks. I had a stone sublimely self righteous the other day and a few founders breakfast stouts. A friend brought over some tallgrass brewing buffalo sweat stout and I had a couple - not bad for a regular stout but nothing special.

In other news, Hop City is opening a store here in bham. It will be their second store. Sounds like they are hoping to sell a lot of wine (in addition to beer.) Looking forward to it.

http://blog.al.com/businessnews/2011/12/beer_and_wine_store_to_open_in.html

I'm not sure if I should start a new thread but people in here might know the answer... anyone know of any good "beer of the month" and "wine of the month" clubs where you can get a monthly delivery or something? I need to get my sister and brother-in-law a Christmas gift and they are borderline alcoholics (kidding... sort of). They go on vacations for wine-tasting in CA and my brother-in-law is Irish (born and raised in Dublin) and he drinks beer like water. Any suggestions?

Man, the already awesome beer store in my city has gotten even better. They now sell growlers and have 60 beers on tap and rotate stuff in and out. I'll definitely make my way over there more often now, hadn't been going there as often as I should have as it's a bit out of my way.

Pretty reasonable prices too. 64oz Growler is just $4.99 to buy and then you can get it refilled with no extra charge. The beers they have up currently ran from $7.99-$17.99 for a 640z fill. They also have a 32 oz growlerette, with fills costing half as much.

Last edited by a moderator:
64 oz growler for $5? Sold!

I've been sticking to local beers and German beers. Indiana (and the rest of the Midwest) is really stepping up to the plate with the selection and quality. As for German beers, I've been sticking to the Munich breweries. Hofbrau Dunkel, Hacker Pshorr, and Paulaner Salvator have been in steady rotation.

Well, that's just for the growler which you get to keep and refill. I doesn't come with any beer for that price! :D As I noted of the 60 that they had on tap currently the prices ranged from $7.99 for one of the local brews to $17.99 for Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

I got Stone IPA this time--think it was $10.99 for the fill.

Also bought a bottle of Dogfish Head's Pearl Jam Twenty Faithful Ale. I heard it was just so-so, but being a huge PJ fan I wanted the bottle for a keepsake to go with the other PJ Twenty crap I have already.

[quote name='depascal22']As for German beers, I've been sticking to the Munich breweries. Hofbrau Dunkel, Hacker Pshorr, and Paulaner Salvator have been in steady rotation.[/QUOTE]

You should give Spaten Optimator a try.

[quote name='Nogib']You should give Spaten Optimator a try.[/QUOTE]

Not bad at all but there's something about it that just doesn't click with me. Maybe too much malt.

Yeah, I've never been huge on the Optimator myself.

I think it is probably the maltiness as I'm mainly into really hoppy beers.

Found I nice little bar in Hollywood Beach, Fl. that makes their own beer. They had a nice wheat beer and a great rice beer served in a 36 oz glass. I love it when places give me the option of a big mug. It nice because all the resturants here on the beach suck and serve shit beer, so it's nice to have something decent.

http://blackheartrum.com/

If you dig on spiced rum, this is the smoothest I've ever seen at the $14 per bottle price point. Goes great with soda but a bit on the strong side to hang out by itself. I don't really know many rum drinks so I can't comment on its mixability beyond that point.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Man, the already awesome beer store in my city has gotten even better. They now sell growlers and have 60 beers on tap and rotate stuff in and out. I'll definitely make my way over there more often now, hadn't been going there as often as I should have as it's a bit out of my way.

Pretty reasonable prices too. 64oz Growler is just $4.99 to buy and then you can get it refilled with no extra charge. The beers they have up currently ran from $7.99-$17.99 for a 640z fill. They also have a 32 oz growlerette, with fills costing half as much.[/QUOTE]

Hop City? Was in there a couple weekends ago (wife had work in atl) and got a growler of Highlands porter. (and a few other things - some Brooklyn Black, Founders Double Trouble and something else - I forget.) Great set up they have - I'm really looking forward to them opening up over here. I'm assuming they'll do something very similar here as draft to go has gotten very popular here.

Our legislative session has started and we are introducing the "Gourmet Bottle Beer" in hopes of lifting our arcane beer container size limitations. I think we have a pretty good chance of it passing.

In other news, we have Green Flash now - sweet! Also - hopslam on the shelves here today!

[quote name='nasum']http://blackheartrum.com/

If you dig on spiced rum, this is the smoothest I've ever seen at the $14 per bottle price point. Goes great with soda but a bit on the strong side to hang out by itself. I don't really know many rum drinks so I can't comment on its mixability beyond that point.[/QUOTE]

Looks suspiciously like Sailor Jerry!

Resurrecting this thread!

I haven't had much new lately so haven't posted but I did have two new to me beers the last few days. Heavy Seas hop harvest ale - Porter. It was nice - it was a "porter" but was a dang hoppy one (I'd actually had a local porter that was very similar and very hoppy from a brewery here called Back Forty.) It was good but not great. Having a Green Flash palate wrecker right now and man is it great. It's a bit sweeter than their IPA and a bit more complex but also a higher abv at 9.6ish (something like that.) Very well balanced beer though - not overly hoppy in my opinion (despite the name.)

Also been drinking my fair share of Buffalo Trace bourbon lately so taking a break from beer sometimes. First time trying that brand and really enjoying it. Just drinking it with a little bit of water mixed in and sometimes an ice cube sometimes not.

Haven't sampled anything new for a while. There are so many favorites to choose from that variety isn't an issue. Recently picked up a pack of Dogfish Head's 90 minute and Bell's Amber Ale.

Haven't been very adventurous with my beer. I'll pick up a nice bottle of St. Bernardus every now and then. Mainly been buying discount beer. 12pk of Killians for $10 and 12pk of Kirrin for $8 is usually what I get.

I did bring a buddy to my local Total Wine. He wanted to try a bunch of different things so I picked him out a few of my personal favorites (Rouge's Juniper Pale Ale, Old Rasputin, Spaten Oktoberfest, Belhaven, Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Hobgoblin)

I recently bought some of Bell's Oberon wheat summer Ale which was just recently released. I nice change of pace for the summer.

Dragonmead Microbrewery has some wonder beers. They have a Belgian Style Ale called Final Absolution Trippel (ABV 8.5%) which is nice and smooth, real easy to drink beer.
Another brew I had of theirs is Under the Kilt Wee Heavy (ABV 8.5%) a Scottish Style Ale, a much darker brew. Reminds me of a super light stout and a heavy IPA. I love IPA brews but still not a fan of stouts, but I found this one to be just right. Not as good as the Final Absolution.

I still want to go the brewery and get a growler, my new favorite thing to collect. I'm glad I finally start appreciating beers and step of from my all-time favorites of PBR, High-Life and Stroh's cannot go wrong with any of this dirty 30's.

Just been old favorites and local micros for me lately.

Dales Pale Ale, Victory Hop Devil, Stone IPA, Sweetwater IPA, Sweet Water Exodus Porter etc.

And yep, it was Hop City I was talking about re: the growlers back in Feb, missed that reply. I love that place. Need to get another growler fill sometime soon.

Had a great barleywine last night.

Cockeyed Cooper by Uinta Brewery in Salt Lake City. Was super pricey at the bar ($23 for a 750ml bottle), but was maybe the best barleywine I've had--and probably a lot cheaper if you can find it in a beer store.

It's aged in bourbon barrels so you get the whiskey/oak flavor, and lots of other flavors going on with some vanilla, chocolate and fruit in there. One of the more complex beers I've had as you tasted something different everytime, as it got warmer (which will happen as it's a sipping beer at 11.1%) etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Had a great barleywine last night.

Cockeyed Cooper by Uinta Brewery in Salt Lake City. Was super pricey at the bar ($23 for a 750ml bottle), but was maybe the best barleywine I've had--and probably a lot cheaper if you can find it in a beer store.

It's aged in bourbon barrels so you get the whiskey/oak flavor, and lots of other flavors going on with some vanilla, chocolate and fruit in there. One of the more complex beers I've had as you tasted something different everytime, as it got warmer (which will happen as it's a sipping beer at 11.1%) etc.[/QUOTE]
Wow...that sounds awesome. Is it cabonated?

Yeah, Dale's Pale Ale is great. That's one of my regulars since they have it at both the grocery stores I go to.

They have a Double Dale's out now too, but I haven't seen it around other than on tap in the growler section at Whole Foods. Should have went that way in the store first as they sell pints for $4 to drink while you shop/eat.

Went to the Flat 12 tasting room in Indianapolis. Probably the best in the city. You can buy your growlers, bottles, and kegs but they also sell by the pint. The best part is that they don't limit your samples if you're buying a pint here and there. Beer is excellent and the overall atmosphere is top notch.

speaking of Dale's - looks like they'll be opening up a brewery/restaurant in NC near Asheville. That means more widespread OB for the east coast!

http://www.timescall.com/business/l...mont-based-oskar-blues-offer-limited-run-beer

I was just up in Boone/Wilkesboro NC for Merlefest and picked up a few regional beers. Having a duck-rabbit RIS right now - real nice but maybe a bit overly carbonated. Picked up a 22 of Highland little hump spring ale - we have it here in AL but I never tried it and the 22 was cheap. I also had a Kona brewing pale ale yesterday. It was ok - nothing special. They just came into the state and my wife was making a mix-six of beer so I threw it in. Also picked up some Old Stock ale 2012. Will give it a try in a few days.

Oh and our "gourmet bottle bill" goes to the house tomorrow - if it goes up for vote/passes then it goes on to the guv to sign - crossing fingers. Our homebrew bill passed either senate or house (I forget) and will go up on the other soon.

Has anyone tried Ithaca Beer Flower Power IPA? The guy at the store said it was very hoppy, maybe "too hoppy" so I bought a six pack. It had a citris flavor (like grapefruit) that I didn't like.

Picked up some brews the other day.

Got a bottle of that Cockeyed Cooper barleywine I mentioned above--$12.99 at the beer store.

Hop Riot from JailHouse Brewing that I'm having currently. It's ok, but very bitter--first IPA/DIPA I've had in quite a while that I'd say is too bitter for my liking.

4 pack of Deviant Dale's (Oskar Blues DIPA).

2012 Stone Imperial Russian Stout--one of my favorites, so always look forward to it coming out in late spring.

I just started to brew an American-style Blackberry Wheat this weekend. It's surprisingly easy to do, it's just a standard wheat beer, and you add the blackberry right before you bottle. The whole kit cost about $40!

To those who are touting all manner of Bell's, I'm glad more are experiencing this wonderful brewery. I've been a member of a soccer team fan-group for a while, and we have had kegs of Oberon and Two-Hearted on hand for most tailgates.

I decided to try out Bell's Oberon this past weekend since the 6 pack was on sale for $7. I didn't quite enjoy it as much as I would have liked. I have drank the Two Hearted Ale as well and I liked that one.

I also had the New Belgium Trippel and fell in love with it. I'm planning to go out tomorrow and grab either the Abbey or the Belgo. I'm leaning more towards the Abbey though.

Lastly, Sierra Nevada Torpedo has also become one of my favorites recently after first trying it a few weeks ago. I got the chance to try the Ruthless Rye but I didn't like it neither. I'm still pretty new to the whole beer thing, but it seems I'm more of a APA/IPA guy since I also enjoy SN's Pale Ale. I have the luxury of having easy access to Three Floyd's Alpha King so that is what I tend to drink the most at the local places ;)

i know what you mean bout being an IPA kinda guy... that is basically all i drink now... unless i go out to eat and they dont have an IPA on tap.

So I've been become quite the beer lover in the past year. I'm really branching out and trying new things. But I'm not exactly sure where to go. There are some beers that I don't like. But I don't know the difference between different types of beers and what flavors the types have, etc. I was hoping to get a bit of advice on what kind of beers I should try. I'm going to the Beer Bistro tomorrow in Chicago and I want to try a few different things, so hopefully you can help me out a bit.

Here's the list of beers they have there.

http://www.thebeerbistro.com/beers.html

As far as what I like, I'm a big fan of wheat ales. I'm also a big fan of fruity (no homo) beers. For the past 6 months or so, I generally always get either 312, Shock Top or Leinie's Sunset Wheat when I go to the store for a 12 pack. I'm also starting to like pale ales a bit. And of course, I'll drink any American style lager. I don't mind a slighter darker beer like Killian's either, but I have a hard time getting something like a Guinness down. I've had some good ones, it's just a bit too heavy for my taste. I'm also open to trying different IPAs, but the ones that I've had so far have been very hoppy, and it would be nice to stay on the lighter side with those.

Anyway, if you could offer any insight on what I might like, feel free to shout it out. Don't just choose from that list above either, tell me anything. Once I get back from China and move back home to where Binny's is, I plan on trying a new beer every day for the rest of the summer. So don't hesitate on anything. I'm always looking to try new things. :)

And hopefully I'll be able to tell you my progress throughout the summer, what beers I tried and which ones I liked.

[quote name='Access_Denied']
As far as what I like, I'm a big fan of wheat ales. I'm also a big fan of fruity (no homo) beers. For the past 6 months or so, I generally always get either 312, Shock Top or Leinie's Sunset Wheat when I go to the store for a 12 pack. I'm also starting to like pale ales a bit. And of course, I'll drink any American style lager. I don't mind a slighter darker beer like Killian's either, but I have a hard time getting something like a Guinness down. I've had some good ones, it's just a bit too heavy for my taste. I'm also open to trying different IPAs, but the ones that I've had so far have been very hoppy, and it would be nice to stay on the lighter side with those.

Anyway, if you could offer any insight on what I might like, feel free to shout it out.[/QUOTE]
I don't drink lagers much anymore, but Great Lake's Dortmunder Gold and Elliot Ness are really good.

As for Pale Ales, Sierra Nevada makes one of the best imo, and Stone's is great too.

If you want a "lighter" IPA, Sierra Nevada's Torpedo is probably the least hoppy of those I've tried. Great Lake's Burning River might work for you too. It's actually a very hoppy APA, but still falls just below most IPAs. If you're like a lot of us though, you may find yourself slowly gravitating toward hoppier brews as time goes on. My favorite DIPAs are seasonals, but if you want some good ones year-round, Stone's Ruination and Dogfish Head's 90 Minute are great choices.

Our gov. just signed the gourmet bottle bill in to law! Opening the floodgates for big bottles in our state (AL) - very exciting! Really looking forward to Aug. 1st when it becomes active.

In other news, World of Beer has announced 5 locations for our state. Seems like an interesting venue.

Access - summer will be a great time for trying all sorts of wheats! If you like "fruity" beers - I might suggest trying all the Belgian beers at the bar. Go with the ones on tap first. They are stronger abv beers so are slow sippers but will bring out some very complex fruit flavors (among other flavors) probably a bit unlike the other "fruity" beers you've had. Back when I was getting a bit more serious about craft beer - Belgians were some of the first ones I went to. I think they are a nice introduction to how complex a beer can be. Make sure to try a variety of wheats from various countries too (Weisse, Hefeweizen, white.)

Having a Collaboration Not Litigation batch #5 tonight to celebrate!

If you don't like really hoppy IPAs, you may prefer the more citrusy east coast style IPAs/Pale Ales.

Stuff like Sweetwater IPA, Sweetwater 420, Bell's Two Hearted Ale etc.

Rather than the more bitter/piney west coast style like Stone IPA etc.

Had a pretty weird 90 min tonight. Bottled on 5-4-09. It seemed to have lost most of it's hop character. Smelled and tasted like a barleywine or old ale. It was a real interesting beer. Not my thing ultimately though really. Think that's the oldest dipa I've had. My wife had a year old Bell's Sparkling Ale - a tripel style I think it is - 9% abv. It was great - very complex beer.

My girlfriend bought me Sam Adams Cinder Bock today...it was FANTASTIC...rocked a 9% alc content but was still very smooth and flavorful. Highly recommended to anyone who likes bocks

Bought a six pack of Intuition Ale Works: Peoples Pale Ale. I had some at a bbq joint when I took my dad out for his birthday. It may become one of my go to beers. It was in cans and I don't think I have ever bought beer in the can before. I need to try Dale's Pale Ale.

Also bought a bottle of Abita's Vanilla Doubledog. Haven't had it yet. I had actually planned on buying some Turbodog, but this was on sale. I am looking forward to trying it.

[quote name='jbuck138']Bought a six pack of Intuition Ale Works: Peoples Pale Ale.[/QUOTE]

I haven't heard of them but I'll be keeping my eye out for them here in AL since they are relatively close by. Looked at their website - looks real nice. We have two breweries canning their beers here in AL (Good People and Straight to Ale.) I'm good with the can - we can chunk it in our recycle bin.

[quote name='jbuck138']Also bought a bottle of Abita's Vanilla Doubledog. Haven't had it yet. I had actually planned on buying some Turbodog, but this was on sale. I am looking forward to trying it.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I've sort of given up on Abita - I just haven't been impressed with anything I've had from them in years. My wife likes them though so I'd bet she'd like that vanilla doubledog. Let us know what you think of it as I suppose it could even become a regular/season for them if it's well received.

The new Summit IPA Saga is the best beer in the world. It's got that crazy hoppiness of an IPA but at only 80 IBU it gets a lot of mileage out of those hops. 6.4% ABV makes it decent for session drinking too as you're not off your head by the 3rd bottle but have a nice buzz.

bordjon, Haven't had the Abita yet. I don't feel comfortable drinking a lot with a 3 week year old in the house. Beer always makes me drowsy.

Intuition has only been around for a year and they are already planning on building a larger brewery since demand has far exceeded their supply. I wish them well, but have another go to local brewery: Bold City Brewery. It's been great the past few years actually having local breweries in the area open up.

I've always enjoyed Abita's Turbodog (haven't had it in at least 4-5 years and Purple Haze. I'd love to visit their brewery.

Wow I'm surprised I'm just now finding this thread! But onto the topic at hand, I've recently fallen in love with Left Hand's Milk Stout. It's DELICIOUS!!! I haven't been able to "legally" drink for very long so I'm really just trying everything that catches my eye.

I've had a few really good beers recently. Bitter Valentine by Williamsburg Alewerks was incredible. It is a double IPA from a local brewery here that is fantastic.

Like dmaul said above, Deviant Dale's is really good as well. Had it on draft at a local pizza place that consistently has great beer on draft. I don't think I have had a bad beer by Oskar Blues.

Lastly, Resin by Sixpoint is another good DIPA.

Guess I have been on an IPA kick lately.

Has anyone tried Avery's Mephistopheles Stout? The label and the fact that it has 16.43% ABV is what really caught my eye. All the reviews on Beeradvocate are pretty favorable so I'm looking forward to it.

it's alright. Like most high abv beers the alcohol tends to overpower the other flavors.

I rarely like a beer over 10-11% for that reason.

bread's done
Back