CAG Buzz: Akysys Games' From the Abyss (DS) and Battle Fantasia (360) Giveaways!

From the Abyss (DS) Entry Questions:

1. What are some of the key elements that you look for in a Action RPG title? Good puzzles are a make-or-break category for action RPGs. Zelda games are fun because they offer a variety of challenging puzzles rather than having the player solve the same puzzle type over and over again with varying difficulty. Also, a good fighting system that varys over time is nice. Dungeons that are fun to explore is another must (MegaMan Legends did a good job with that)
  2. If you’ve heard of From The Abyss, where did you hear it from? I had never heard of it befor this post.
  3. Name 3 gaming sites you visit regularly and why. (1)cheapassgamer.com : They have a great, welcoming community that is always willing to lend a helping hand and find some great deals. (2) Gametrailers.com : hours of content about upcoming games and some of my old favorites. (3) 1UP.com : Great podcasts, especially 1UPFM and Retronauts.

Battle Fantasia (360) Entry Questions:

Do you get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series?
I'm actually leery of mega-sequels and prefer newer games. The same system with a new coat of paint is still the same system.

How do you feel about the character design and style of Battle Fantasia?
Very interesting-I'd like to see them in action.

Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why?
I prefer 2D simply because they tend to be more pick up and play and make for fun competitive play with friends stopping by to play games.

1. What are some of the key elements that you look for in a Action RPG title?
2. If you’ve heard of From The Abyss, where did you hear it from?

3. Name 3 gaming sites you visit regularly and why.
  • I looking for graphic, storyline and battle system for an Action RPG. I want all of these elements to be implemented properly where the final product produces a must-buy feeling from me. Something unique is also worth looking at.
  • I haven’t heard of this game before I saw it on CAG.
  • Top 3 gaming website:
    • Cheapassgamer.com - I live here.
    • Ign.com - check review of games
    • goozex.com - trade games

1. I look for an enjoyable and fluid combat system, an engaging story and
intriguing puzzles.
2. I heard about this game from Gamefaqs during a discussion of new DS RPG's on
the market.
3. I visit these sites below since they tend to avoid padding and prolonging gaming
news and reviews. Instead, I get more down to earth information without the
clutter.
http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/
http://www.gamesradar.com/
http://www.videogamecritic.net/

1. Do get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series?
  2. How do you feel about the character design and style of Battle Fantasia?
  3. Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why?

1. I tend to get excited hearing about any new fighting game, although I do enjoy
some series more than others.
2. I think the art style is amazing and the medieval theme is rather unused but
clever for a fighting game.
3. I enjoy 2D fighters more due to the more technical nature of their gameplay
systems and the fact it's usually more visually expressive in terms of attacks and
animations.

-Story
-gameplay
-not so complicated battle system

-saw this game on amazon and been meaning to check it out.

-CAG for deals
-Joystiq - to stay up to date
- gamefaqs- when i get stuck on a game .

1. Do get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series?
-I get excited about announcements on new fighting games then a squeal to a fighting game.

- i think that the design and the style of BF is awesome, looks awesome, and it should be since its made by the same people who made the guilty gears series.

- i like both because they are different from eatch other.

1. I really like good combat the flows. Something that we quickly eat away the hours.
    1. I never heard of it before this contest.
    1. CAG
    2. kotaku
    3. gamefaqs

1. I get excited for all 2D fighting games, but only soul calibur in the 3D realm.
    1. Battle Fantasia look beatiful. I love Guilty Gear so I image that I will like this game also.
    1. I prefer 2D. I think I prefer 2D games because I'm old.

From the Abyss (DS)
Being able to play in time blocks of my choosing - whether fifteen minutes or four hours, without having to lose progress; a strong story to keep me coming back; continuous progression (leveling, equipment, NPCs, etc.).​
This is the first I've heard of it, so right here.​
Gamertag.com, because I've been part of the community since the early days of Xbox Live and I do a weekly podcast there.
CAG, for the personality and deals to keep my habit going.
Halolz, it's funny.​

Battle Fantasia (360)
I think there's always room for new games I'm not familiar with, but I don't get excited about new entries in series I am already familiar with and don't consider a favorite.​
As long as it doesn't get too cute, I think I like it. (I'm okay with a bunny, as long as his attacks make sense.) Looks clean with a variety of themes.​
I don't prefer one or the other - there are great games in both, and games I dislike in both. It tends to boil down to gameplay and characters over dimensional plane.​

What are some of the key elements that you look for in a Action RPG title?
--Choices in fighting styles (weapons, characters), well paced gameplay (not TOO much boring repetition), bonus stuff for endgame or just a lot of bonus/secret missions along the way

If you’ve heard of From The Abyss, where did you hear it from?
--I actually tried out the import and liked it quite a bit

Name 3 gaming sites you visit regularly and why.
--CAG, for obvious reasons
gamefaqs, also for obvious reasons
Does Wiki count? I usually pull general game reception from there, since they tend to quote other gaming sites

Do you get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series?
--A little of both. I'll try any fighting game at least once, but if it's a series I like, I'll just try it faster.

--I like it. And if it's smooth gameplay, then I really like it.

--I sort of prefer 2D fighters (melty blood and guilty gear have spoiled me), but I'm willing to play either equally. The graphics whore in me says I should stick to 3D, but... doesn't matter.

I think it should have a thought out plot, various types of weaponry, and characters.
This is the first time I've heard of it.
CAG is the only one I visit regulary because it is the best. I sometimes visit IGN to see upcoming games and how they rated them.

I have no favorite fighting game series so I am impartial to them all.
It's interesting, it reminds me of a newer version of street fighter for some reason.
I prefer 3D fighting games because it allows for better movements and the ability to dodge attacks.

Easily the most important to me is fun, varied, original, and challenging gameplay. If a game is too easy and/or grindy I'll lose interest pretty quickly. Also, if it plays essentially the same as something I've played before, the gameplay had better be somewhere around my favorite ever or it'll start to feel repetetive.
A memorable soundtrack & a decent storyline are also good attributes, but again, gameplay is far and away the most important aspect to me.

I've never heard of it before, but after seeing this contest I did some research and it looks kinda interesting.

gamerankings.com - Excellent reference for quickly finding information & opinions on a game.
kotaku.com - All the gaming news I could ever want. Well, even more than I want really. These guys are crazy thorough!
gamefaqs.com - If I'm stuck in a game, or wondering where to find secrets, or just want to find general info such as release dates, this site always comes through - and if it doesn't, it's usually just a matter of time before the info pops up.

Pretty much any new fighting game will interest me. While I mainly play Soul Calibur games, I'm currently looking forward to sooner or later getting to play Street Fighter 4, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Melty Blood: Actress Again, Arcana Heart 2, BlazBlue, MONSTER... and so on and so forth. I'm not that interested in American-made fighting games though, for example the Mortal Kombat series which didn't interest me much originally and since Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 has steadily gone downhill.

It's certainly different. Kind of charming, but even moreso it's just hilarious seeing cute lil Watson busting out massive combos. DON'T MESS WITH BUNNIES.

2D. Although I've played Soul Calibur games more than any other fighting games, I don't particularly care for other 3D fighters as they tend to feel too loose and glitchy to me. 2D fighters generally seem to have more concrete possible outcomes in a given situation, which is ultimately more fun to me. This is just my perspective though - I fully realize that the Virtua Fighter series is all kinds of solid, it just doesn't feel that way to me when I sit down and play it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series?
I get excited, if only because it means that it could be the start of another interesting series. Lord knows we can always use another one, especially when the genre, albeit still going somewhat strong, could always use another solid title.

Quite eye-catching, really. It's usually something like that that ends up turning my head and giving a series a chance. Now, I've been burned before because of this, but I have enjoyed what I've heard insofar about the game so I'll gladly give it a try.

Personally, I'm more into 2D fighters on average. I guess it has to deal with my past experiences, mostly because I only ever got into the big three 3D titles (Soul Edge/Calibur, Tekken, Virtua Fighter) while the rest I never really thought much of. Yes, there's a lot of mediocrity in both the 2D and 3D field, but I just felt that most 3D fighters are just too uninteresting to play at that point whereas other 2D ones are somewhat passable.

Great controls that are responsive and easy to use during battle
I think I saw a picture of it on IGN
Cheapassgamer.com - I need to save money
gamespot.com - I like thier HD videos and features
gametrailers.com - I dig downloading hd movies to view on my 360

I like all fighting games but tend to only buy those that get great reviews, even if one of my favorite series has gotten crap reviews I won't buy it
It gave me a feeling of...eh(shrug)
Either one, I liked the old school MK games and SF but I also love the Soul Edge and Soul Calibur games

Use of multiple buttons, d-pad combos (think fighter fireballs and dragon uppers) nothing worse than one attack button, one block, one spelll, etc.
Action RPGs are repetitive enough so complex controls and a decent story will keep me engaged. Oh and lets not 4get weapon creation/synthesis ***Insert regurgitating anthropamorphic creature here***
must have better weapons...

This website, metacritic, Amazon, gamefly.

1. cheapassgamer.com - the in laws! deals are always a good thing
2. metacritic.com - the mistress! honest reviews, averages can be trusted
3. ign.com- the lying cheating wife! gameplay videos, no substance

1. Do you get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series?
Fighter fan all the way. If there is a ring annoucer, Im there. Namco, SNK, Capcom, or the lil guys Im in. STF4 coming soon is a big deal, but ANY this gen fighter is a big deal to me. Guilty Gear, MVsC, Last Blade, Soul Caliber(MINUS THE STAR WARS/SPAWN/LINK weirdness) and Samurai Showdown are my faves.

The trojan character is cutesy, not sure if the character cannon is consistent. That is a nit pick because I am a conceptual artist. Anime stylization is always good, but if you have only 12 fighters I'd rather they all be 61/2 heads tall. I mean I still struggle with the blankas and yodas in terms or story realism... Guilty Gear is the pinnacle of balance and character design. There is someone for every archetype. That @#!$
Robo Ky! I am naming my child palette swap.

A true fighter takes what he is given. The 3D and 2D formats both have positives and negatives. My lil bro has always been AND WILL ALWAYS BE a throw hog. Side step and throw, thats his m.o. So I counter likewise with the same. Match after match of tag tournament on PS2 was grab, grapple, shake, sidestep, throw. LOL. With the VS health turned down and the timer off. 2D is like DC comics, Superman and Batman were first, but does that mean IronMan and Thor don't kick a##? The 2D play with the 3D look is where its at. But juggling in an 8-way run world is also VERY satisfying. The true innovation was not 3D over 2D, but the scroll/zoom feature from Art of Fighting and Showdown. Bring the zoom back!

Oh well hope I win one, but if not I will still rent and possibly buy!

1. Great controls, (if 3D) a solid camera, replay value (like lots of items to collect and side quests), multi-player is not essential (but it is welcomed), and a cool theme.

2. I read about it on Gamesradar.

3. Kotaku, Destructoid, and Hardcore Gaming 101. I visit Kotaku and Destructoid because of the editor's good point of view on games and decent reviews. I visit Hardcore Gaming 101 because of the excellent articles and the fact that they cater a lot to my gaming tastes.

1. It really depends. I am excited at the announcement of any new 2D fighting game, but I am also care about my favorite fighting game series (Guilty Gear, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, King of Fighters, Samurai Shodown, Tekken, Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter, and so on and so on...)

2. I like it a lot. I am thrilled about ANY release by Arc System Works. I was worried that it was a 2.5D fighting game, but after seeing the screenshots, I am looking forward to it and it could be a reason why I would buy an Xbox360.

3. I personally prefer 2D fighting games because imho, they have a much better art style than 3D fighters. Also, I feel they have a larger amount of depth than 3D fighters. But as you can already tell, I play both without any hesitation.

Depth of play - the ability to divert off the main quest to spend countless hours tracking down and obtaining obscure items and abilities.

No, but tossing out the Secret of Mana reference is enough to take a second look.

1. CAG: got to stay on top of the deals and respect the site's community.
2. Goozex: Turning into a great place to keep the game library fresh without being insulted at retail's used prices.
3. 1up: good mix of reviews and news.

I was burnt out on the genre for years (Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter killed me with countless releases that added a couple new characters and levels, but was stagnent in innovation. Recently, Virtua Fighter brought me back - a deep and rewarding game.

I really like the art direction - character design is interesting, but has me wondering how it'd play.

I preferred 2d for years since they were about the art, while 3d was all about the realism. I feel the lines are starting to blur and the fighting experience is typically much deeper with 3d, so I've been playing more of those lately.

-I don't look for much. Action RPG covers suck a wide range that I like the variety. But I simply cannot stand Randomly Generated Dungeons and any game that uses them deserves to be shot.

-I hadn't. I may look in to it now.

-CAG: Because I am one, GameFAQS: Because we all need help sometimes, eBay: Because I can't think of any others that don't involve Webcomics and dragging VGCats into this seems rather off topic.

Do get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series?
-Not many fighting games come out nw that AREN'T part of a franchise. The line 'From the creators of Guilty Gear' has me interested this time though.

-The characters look odd. Sort of how all the screen shots of Zelda Windwaker looked odd but turned out beautiful in motion. Though the backgrounds seem lifted straight out of...every other fighting game ever. I guess I can't blame anyone for that.

-2D. Possibly because 2D fighters don't take themselves as seriously as their 3D ounterparts. And I prefer the over the top.

Variety of weapons/tools with differences beyond just the sprite and damage.

Not sure, I haven't heard much good sadly.

Metacritic - Compiles reviews so I don't have to
Tiny Cartridge - Dedicated DS site with interesting articles
Destructoid - Big enough to get the important news, small enough that it doesn't feel like the kotaku storm.

From The Abyss
Depth/originality of the storyline. I get bored with redundant, overused themes. Character development is an important aspect of the storyline as well I suppose. Battle function should be relatively simple as well, as well as skill trees and such.

I heard it from IGN.com/DSFanboy.com. It got some buzz before its release.

a. cheapassgamer.com for the deals
b. ign.com/dsfanboy.com for news (i prefer the latter, because it's ds-only)
c. gamespot.com for forums and board-life.

From the Abyss
(DS) Entry Questions:

A1. intuitive controls and fun gameplay
A2. IGN
A3. IGN, CAG, and qj.net. Does QJ count? lol Usually go to IGN and qj.net for their news, and CAG to pick up news from other sources.

1) Do get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series?

I favor new fighting games because I like the fact that another developer is willing to take the risk in attempt to make a unique fighting game apart from the crowd. Though they have often failed but once in a while we'll see a gem.

2) How do you feel about the character design and style of Battle Fantasia?

I love the art style of the game, and throwing in some Guilty Gear flashiness never hurts.

3) Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why?

2D because that's what I grew up on playing: Street Fighters and Mortal Kombat.

1. A combo system that requires some effort
2. I visit Aksys' site the some regularity to see if they have done anything awesome, so that's how I found out about it.
3. 1up, GamesAreFun, Gamespite

1. I'm always ready for more fighting games, so any new one is fascinating to me
2. The fantasy theme is actually surprisingly unique, and the fact that it was taken so far as to give characters HP totals and levels is impressive.
3. 2D, most likely because that is what I grew up with, so it feels more natural. I play some 3D fighters, but I never have as much fun with them.

An intuitive and innovative battle system, and plenty of ways to apply field abilities in puzzle-like ways

IGN

IGN for game and industry news, CAG for game deals, and Game TZ for game trades

1. Do get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series? I'm always excited to hear that a new fighting game is out I was stoked when SC4 was released.
  2. How do you feel about the character design and style of Battle Fantasia?It has a Anime feel to it which I happen to like.
  3. Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why? I like them both 3d for the graphics and 2 d for the fighting.

- I dont want it to feel too button mashy.
- Level Design / Art Direction / Soundtrack

- I heard about it once in passing a while back, probably either here or penny arcade.

- Penny Arcade forums (video game discussion)
- CAG forums (video game discussion)
- Neogaf forums (video game discussion)

- I get excited about a few favorites but also completely new games.

- The style of battle is fine. The characters are very different from what I'm used to seeing in fighters. They dont look like TOUGH characters. They seem like they would be from one of those indie doujin fighters.

- I prefer 2D, but its all good.

i get excited about stuff like street fighter though if the game looks good i'll be hyped

character designs look great and the battle system looks really fun

i'll play either since i suck at fighting games in general but i guess 2d since im ok at smash bros - I prefer 2D, but its all good.

The main element I look for is how deep and satisfying the battle system is.

I saw a few previews on various sites.

CAG (Video game deals and Discussion) IGN (News/reviews) Kotaku (News)

Any fighting game is great news nowadays. Especially 2D fighters.

From what I have seen, they look interesting.

2D. I play both though.

1. What are some of the key elements that you look for in a Action RPG title? - Character Design
2. If you’ve heard of From The Abyss, where did you hear it from? - 1st time I've heard of it. Looks sweet though.
3. Name 3 gaming sites you visit regularly and why. - CAG, Joystiq, & Gamespot. To get the latest news & game deals.

1. Do get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series? - Generally only my favorite.
2. How do you feel about the character design and style of Battle Fantasia? Seems to be OK.
3. Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why? Both, depends on the mood I'm in.

Q1. What are some of the key elements that you look for in a Action RPG title?

A1. I look for a system that's deep enough to allow for a lot of customization without feeling as though it's bogging me down in minutiae. I also have to feel like the action is significant to the outcome of the battle and not simply a fancy user interface.

Q2. If you’ve heard of From The Abyss, where did you hear it from?

A2. I had not heard of this game previously.

Q3. Name 3 gaming sites you visit regularly and why.

A3. Kotaku, because they provide me a quick overview of the day's news. 1UP, because I enjoy their podcasts. GameLife because the editorials are pithy and direct.

Q1. Do get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series?

A1. I think I occupy the middle ground between the two extremes. I don't get excited about any new fighting game, but I'm always willing to try a new series.

Q2. How do you feel about the character design and style of Battle Fantasia?

A2. I like it. It's an interesting compromise between 2D and 3D fighters.

Q3. Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why?

A3. I can't say I have a preference.

i usally dont really look up nor do i buy fighting games. Never once have i preordered a fighting game, but i do own quite a few but usally i only care about ones i know ill get attached to aka tekken chars!!
  1. How do you feel about the character design and style of Battle Fantasia?
I just actully heard about this game yesterday. The design and style are quite amazing and very much differ from the same recycled sprites or recycled game youve played over and over. Definitly a welcomed fighter to the genre. I would without a dought try this game one day.

1. Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why?
It really depends on the series. Naruto has always been 2d fighting and that got old.Now its moving to 3D , it actully feels like your in full control. I can not really choose either because each game runs either one or the other so i pick both.

Being able to customize your char, knowing when you get new gear it will change how you look, using a diffrent weapon changes how the game is played, and being able to level just about any thing from chars,pets,spells, and weapons. The most important would have to be making me want to pour countless hours into a title and feel like it was all worth the effort.
  1. If you’ve heard of From The Abyss, where did you hear it from?
I have actully seen it on gamestop browseing thru Rpgs on Ds. It wasnt a sure buy because i havent got the chance to do my usual info check. I wanna make sure the game will give me that money well spent feeling.
  1. Name 3 gaming sites you visit regularly and why.
Screwattack would have to be my #1 i love every piece of content they submit.
#2 would have to be gametrailers for avgn,retrospective and i really enjoy their fully detailed reviews.
My final would be Cag, i have recently come across this site from Screwattack and am sure am glad. Im constantly on screwattack and cag everyday just to read posts or catch some videos.

Enjoyable battle system with a wide variety of skills and weapons you gain access to as you progress to keep things fresh and replayable.

The initial reveal in Famitsu via GAF.

CAG for the deals and community, NeoGAF for the industry and Japanese news as it happens, and I suppose Kotaku for the occasionally-witty commentary someone tells me to read.

When a new fighting game comes out I try to rent it at least. Super Turbo has always been my bread and butter, but I'm willing to play anything.

I don't discriminate when it comes to character design. There doesn't have to be the typical Ryu/Ken build. Play Waku Waku 7 for the Neo-Geo and you'll see some weird ass characters. In regards to the style, I think it's pretty impressive. It has that Odin Sphere look to it.

I'll always prefer 2D because I was in sixth grade when Street Fighter 2 blew up. I remember all the clones that followed and I still remember Virtua Fighter coming out. I'll play anything, but if I had a choice it would be a 2D fighter.

-fun factor and a good battle system. just as long as the game doesnt become too repetitive.
    -
    this is the first time actually, so on CAG.
    -
    cheapassgamer.com - to find deals on games, dvds, etc
    -gamefaqs.com - to get tips and help when i need to
    -kotaku.com - read new game articles, etc

1. Do you get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series?
    -
    depends on the preview/gameplay videos and hype. if it looks interesting, i would pay more attention to it
    -
    kinda reminds me of odin sphere. i like it
    -
    2d, a lot of my favorite fighting games are 2d (mvc2, 3rd strike, guilty gear, arcana heart, etc). not a lot of fighters can pull off 3d

1.) I really look for a good story as well as a deep combat system. The story will urge me to keep playing to see what happens while the combat system will keep me satisfied when I have to grind.

2.) I saw a video of it on gametrailers.com.

3.) I regularly visit gametrailers.com, cheapassgamer.com and gamefaqs.com.

1.Do get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series?

I get excited at the announcements of new fighting games and established series..Its my favorite genre...

2.How do you feel about the character design and style of Battle Fantasia?

I like it..Its something new and fresh...

2d fighters have a certain tension to them that cant be recreated with 3d fighters..

1. Do get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series? Yes, i'm always excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game especially if it is unique like battle fantasia.
  2. How do you feel about the character design and style of Battle Fantasia? i think it's fresh and unique!!! i love it!!!
  3. Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why? LOVE EM BOTH EQUALLY!!!! but think 3D was the way to go for this title!!!

1. The action is good
2. Saw it in Nintendo Power.
3. CAG: to check out the game deals and Cheapy's videos.
Infendo: For all of my nintendo fanboy needs.
Kotaku: For all the other news I need to know.

1. I only get excited if I knew the game series is good.
2.I think the character design and style is great, just like Soul Calibur.
3. Doesn't matter to me because I kick ass in both!

Very interested in the characters, the battle system, and great worlds.

This is the first I've heard of it. The more I read, the more I wish I'd heard of it before. :whistle2:/

1. CAG: I'm a cheap ass gamer.
2. Metacritic: Generally pretty interested in seeing overall reports in a neatly wrapped bow. Unfortunately, a lot of my favorite style RPGs get DESTROYED there.
3. Amazon or PriceGrabber: I generally check both Amazon and PriceGrabber for prices and deals on upcoming games. As another poster mentioned you're more likely to see varied types of reviews as well.

I am always open to new series--- probably more than most.

Style and character design definitely appear to be some of the strengths of this game. Big fan.

I am open to either. The Capcom 2D series were a blast and still are when they tackle them. Virtua Fighter and Tekken also are fun. I'm easy to please if the game is fun or good.

In an action RPG one of the main things I look for is a smooth and fluid combat system. I just can't play the game if the combat is bad.

I've just read a few things about it on rpgamer.com

1. Kotaku - I enjoy their writing and they're comprehensive enough to cover most games I care about.
2. Rpgamer - As rpg's tend to be my favorite genre, I spend time here looking for more in depth coverage.
3. Gamerankings - Mainly to keep track of what has come out recently and how games are being received.

Battle Fantasia (360)
Entry Questions
:

Usually my excitement is reserved for games that have proven themselves in a past iteration.

I really like the somewhat outlandish character design, and feel that it has a good style that the cel shading really complements.

It doesn't make much difference to me as long as the game works well with what it does use, though I will say that I've felt that fewer 3D fighters achieve this than 2D ones.

A fast, intense story, mainly. Not only does the game have to last a while, but I need it to be something I won't be really bored with.

I read about it on DSFanboy.com.

1. CAG - To find the best deals on what I'm looking for.
2. DSFanboy - For the latest news and information on my favorite games for the handheld.
3. GameTrailers - I can download all the trailers for my favorite games, and the special features are fantastic. What's not to love?

I tend to look towards what that particular fighting game is bringing to the table, especially concerning the look, the characters, and the action. I'm not the best at fighting games, but I certainly do enjoy playing them.

I think it looks great. There hasn't really been a fighting game with the style that Battle Fantasia is bringing to the table. I'm excited about what the game has to offer, and I'll definitely be giving it a try when I can.

I'm a big 2D fighter fan, since most 3D fighters aren't done that well to begin with, but mostly because there's nothing quite like hand-drawn art to really allow a game to bleed cool.

Loot and character customization are my favorites, but story is very important as well.

1. If you’ve heard of From The Abyss, where did you hear it from?
I saw some early footage at the game company I work at, and I've been very optimistic about this game ever since.

1. Name 3 gaming sites you visit regularly and why.
0) cheapassgamer.com - mainly for videogame deals, but also to download the podcast and just check out the community.
1) joystiq.com - my primary source for game news and rumors.
2) sorethumbsblog.com - great industry insider insight by two amazing game journalist vets.
3) gamepolitics.com - this is where I keep up with the important issues that affect the industry (which usually aren't covered by the other blogs).

I am only excited about new 2D fighting games, especially ones that have good next-gen graphics. As for 3D fighting games, I can generally do without.

1. How do you feel about the character design and style of Battle Fantasia?
I very much like the character design and style of Battle Fantasia, although I prefer more in-depth moves (something like Arcana Heart).

1. Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why?
2D fighters, hands-down. I never really got into 3D fighting games, and I think they lack much of the intensity of 2D fighters. It's too bad more companies don't make 2D fighters any more.

I definitely get excited when I hear an announcement for a sequel in my favorite fighting franchises (e.g. Soul Calibur IV, SF IV, etc.), but I also get equally excited about new fighting game properties. It's good to get new ideas and character designs in the genre. Fighting games have been one of my favorites since my childhood, so any title is a welcome addition.

It looks very interesting. The high definition graphics and hybrid 2D/3D design piqued my interest. It's still uncommon to find next gen fighters, since a lot of the franchises are still churning out 2D iterations or re-releases.

I have no preference. 2D works better for some fighters, and 3D for others. I enjoy them all, and the overall game design and balance are the most important aspects.

3. Name 3 gaming sites you visit regularly and why
1.The Gameplay. It has to control well, when i jump he has to jump, but it also has to be fun. The combat has to be enjoyable.

2.From Gaf, someone had posted pics from it a couple of months ago it looked good.

3.1UP, Kotaku, Giantbomb. 1Up has good features and the podcasts i enjoy. Kotaku because of their blog gets news quick, and Giantbomb because i enjoy Jeff Gertsman

1. Yes i ennjoy any new fighting game. Its one of my favorite genres next to FPS and RPGs so any thing new i look forward to it

2.Its an interesting take. They took inspiration from RPGs and MMORPGERs other genres that i like and it shows. The characters are very creative. I mean they have a Magician Bunny!

3.I play both but prefer 2D. Mostly because of Nostalgia. Street Fighter 2 was my first gaming "love" so its a throwback to that

1) Do get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series?

Im always glad to hear about new fighters, and in the past I was always cautiously optimistic because not many of my friends played fighting games so I got bored playing the computer over and over. Online has allieaved this some, but i still prefer playing with people I know over strangers over the internet. This has skewed my interest to my favorite series in the past but now I am more willing to try fighters that arent sequels of other fighters that I enjoy.

2) How do you feel about the character design and style of Battle Fantasia?

I really enjoy it, its a nice break from all the super macho guys and scantily clad girls that grace most fighting games

3) Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why?

I prefer 2D fighting systems mostly because that is what I grew up playing, as for graphics I like 2D art over 3d graphics but I am ok with either.

An action RPG needs to have a control scheme that isn't overly complicated, but also doesn't turn into a simple button-masher. Developing a strategy as you go is key to making an Action RPG mechanic work, as the player should be planning the next move rather than tapping buttons with their eyes closed. There also needs to be a reason to keep the action going. Meaning that I don't want to be stick in a dungeon without knowing where to go next. I don't want to give up on a game just because I'm lost. Switching up the levels helps too, because nothing is more boring than repetitive cookie-cutter combat.

I heard about From The Abyss at Anime Expo 2008. I didn't really know much about it, but I have been curious to try it.

CheapAssGamer.com - I want to make sure I get the best deal when I'm shopping for games. CAG puts all the best deals in one place, so I don't have to hop from one site to the nextjust tomakesure I'm not getting ripped off.

Kotaku.com - The site is constantly updated with new information, and other gamer-related posts that traditional gaming sites wouldn't usually talk about, like living in Japan.

RPGamer.com - They usually have RPG-related news before most other news sites, and even mention games that are import-only. They also have more interviews with RPG creators than many other sites.

Fighting games are a very hit-or-miss genre for me. Even a great series can have terrible entries (I'm looking at you Street Fighter EX and Maximum Impact). Although, when I see more information about a game, it becomes easier to judge whether I think it's good.

From what I've seen, it looks incredible. I was a little worried initially when I heard it was 2.5D, but after seeing gameplay footage, the battles look crisp and fluid. The characters and their weapons look interesting, and I'm glad they decided togo with a different art style than the Guilty Gear series.

I think 2D fighters, while they can be very technical, have more of a fun factor than most 3D fighting games out there. They tend to not take themselves too seriously, and try not to be so realistic, which many 3D fighters have been guilty of doing lately.

From the Abyss
(DS) Entry Questions:

1. Variation in game play, if all you do is run around, kill monsters and
get items a game lacks originality. The game has to have an original
storyline otherwise it's not worth it.

2. I bought a copy of From the Abyss after checking it out on
gamefaqs.com but after a while I realized the game seems to be
rushed. You find materials that say they're for creating items but
all you do is sell them.

3. Gamefaqs.com for faqs and boards, CAG for deals, Gamestop.com
because they usually have a good list of games that are available and
are coming out.

1. Alot of fighting games have either crappy controls where you can't
pull off moves easily (Virtua Fighter), AI that pulls off all the impossible
moves you can't do easily (Street Fighter), or all the moves are the
same for different characters (DBZ Budokai). It's hard to get excited
about fighters for that reason, most of them are unbalanced in some
way. Soul Calibur series is about the best I've played.

2. Seems kiddy, it's like they didn't put any real thought into character
creation. It's as if they said "What's not copyrighted? Hey a bunny in
a hat! Crank this sucker out and watch the gullible ones shell out
cash." This seems like a title for little kids. Plus the graphics hardly
seem to push the 360's envelope. Seems like this game would have
done better in XNA and put on XBLA.

3. Depends on the system. I grew up playing Street Fighter I & II,
Last real 2D fighter I played was probably Capcom vs. SNK Millenium
edition for PS2... I loved SNK vs Capcom for dreamcast. The japanese
version of Rival Schools for dreamcast was awesome with the board
game was so much fun! But then the bastards took it out of the US
version! :censored: All the soul calibur games are fun because they don't
require insane amounts of forethought to pull off cool moves. 2D and
3D each have their merits but it all comes down to game design and
implementation to make it good.

Balanced and fun fighting. I enjoy being able to get my characters power level higher than monsters and owning them hard.

I have not heard of it before but it looks fun.

1. CAG: cheap deals!
2. IGN: decent reading
3. Amazon: Just to see what people are saying about gmaes

I enjoy trying many new fighting games for the new different moves and styles.

It looks like a new idea that could be really fun to try as well as play. I always enjoy the new games when they come out.

I prefer 2d fighters, 3d fights always seem like they're 2dish but moves just make characters change directions.

Co-op and casual difficulty.

Never heard of it.

CAG - Good collection of deals, news and all other things gaming.
Gamefaqs - for walkthroughs
1up - Free EGM magazine and humorous podcasts

---

It seems fighting systems take a few versions to get right, so I usually stick to the big series.

Very nice anime art style.

2D keeps it simple. It makes for quicker, more contact-orientated game play.

The controls and gameplay have to be tight. If the controls aren't responsive, or if the gameplay isn't smooth, a game with a lot of potential will completely fall apart. Also, customization. By the end of the game, I want my character(s) to feel unique, and that I could replay the game and make them differently.

I haven't heard of it before now.

I visit Joystiq for all of my news, mainly because I find the site clean. I've recently stopped visiting CAG for game deals, but I still listen to the CAGCast regularly. When I want to look at reviews, or I'm hunting around for something new, I'll tend to go to gamerankings.

-------------------------------------

I'll give a new fighting series a rental, or pick it up on the cheap, but I tend to only follow my favorite series.

I like it a lot, but sort of wish the artists made it even more cartoonish. In some screens, it almost feels like it's missing details. The character types, however, are intriguing.

3D. I've found they're easier for the average person to pick up and play. Also, I seem to be better at them...

A smooth combat system. If it is choppy at all, the entire game can be ruined.

I have not heard of From The Abyss before now.

Cheapassgamer for deals and the great community, Gamefaqs if I'm stuck (or for the character battles), and QJ for recent news.

Generally, I only care about my favorite series.

I think it looks a little cheesy, but would need to play the game before making a final judgment.

2D. It's the way they should be.

bread's done
Back