CAG BUZZ Returns! Wild Arms XF (PSP) Giveaway! Multiple Winners!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q1. How do you feel about the latest Wild ARMs game being a Strategy RPG?

I love it! I've always been a big fan of turn-based strategy RPGs (Final Fantasy Tactics is one of my favorite games ever) and the fact that this game is on the PSP (which is excellent for SRPGs) makes me very interested in this game.

Q2. How would you compare the Wild ARMs series to other RPG games?

The Wild ARMs series has always appealled to a niche audience as opposed to the mass appeal of series such as Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, but that doesn't make it any less of a quality series. Truth be told, i've only played 2 previous Wild ARMs games, but I enjoyed them both thoroughly.

Q3. What direction would you like to see the Wild ARMs series take in the
future?

It really depends on which platforms the series continues on. If continues on the PSP (or DS), then sticking to the Strategy RPG genre would be a good choice. If sequels were developed for the PS3 or 360, then i'd like to see a more action-oriented battle system with lots effects that take advantage of these consoles' power.

future?

1. I feel that it was about time for the Wild ARMs series to try a different approach. Just like with Suikoden and Final Fantasy, when I played both of their strategy games I ended up really liking it. So far, I'm looking forward to XF.

2. What I love about the Wild ARMs series is the whole western theme. It was different back then and it still manages to differentiate itself from its competitors from time to time w/this ongoing theme.

3. What I would like to see in the future would be a Wild ARMs game for the next gen systems which will probably come along in future. Also, maybe a spinoff or a sequel to one of the previous games.

I see Strategy RPG's as pretty hit or miss, so I'll have to try it out to see. I do feel like there's a pretty small amount of good SRPG's and that if anyone can handle it, it's the Wild Arms series, so I'm certainly intrigued, but not 100% sold yet.

I'd rank it pretty high. I think the hex system is one of the best around, and certainly better than recent RPG's like Blue Dragon.

Q3. What direction would you like to see the Wild ARMs series take in the future?

I'd love to see more real-time battle and maybe a new graphical style. Maybe some FF-style epic cutscenes?

lets say i love fft

weapons and batlle system

future?

bring back old characters

Personally, I don't like SRPGs at all. The hex system was an interesting in-between, but I still preferred the classic RPG style.

The idea of a post-war world is a great one, and it was carried out best in 3; 4 and 5 tried to do a little too much with the concept and diverted heavily from the wild west theme. They managed to be fun in their own right, though.

future?
Someone earlier mentioned he'd like to see the game brought back to its original roots, the original RPG style, and I agree with this.

In response to question 1, I have just started playing strategy RPG games with the psp revamp of FF Tactics, and I must say that I prefer the turn based style. Changing wild arms to a strategy type RPG takes away from what the series is about, at least for me.

The setting and visuals in Wild arms are always nice to look at, the only other recent rpg coming close in artistic beauty maybe being Eternal Sonata. As far as gameplay mechanics I would say it is on the good side of average.

I really want to see Wild Arms make an appearance on the 360, albeit in the turn based style, none of this strategy stuff.

1. I'm completely new to the series (never owned a PS or PS2), but I am excited to see this coming out on PSP as a SRPG, probably my favorite type of game.

2. Again, I've never played any of the Wild ARMs games, but I am tempted to pick up the first one on the Playstation store for my PSP, the story sounds intriguing from what I've read/heard about them.

3. More cowbell? ;)

Im all for strategy RPG's. They may introduce me to a new series that I may have overlooked if it was just an rpg.

I have never played a Wild Arms game, but the western setting looks interesting.

future?

If this turns out to be a good strategy game, I would want more of the same.

Q1. I don't mind much, so long as there are still traditional RPG entries in the series.

Q2. The western theme is the biggest thing that sets it apart, but the hex system is pretty cool too.

Q3. The characters and storyline seem a little too generic and predictable lately. I would also like to see Guardians return to being summonable by any member of the party, as they were in the first game.

After seeing how much of an improvement WA5 was over WA4, I've become very interested and happy about the direction it's going. The story also looks to be more varied than the norm and the art style is great as it uses the excellent artist from WA5 (I think?)

It's a fairly standard RPG but the characters tend to be a bit more complex than a lot would think. It has an excellent wild west theme (with the exception of 4) that very few RPG's attempt to use and I really think it helps create a vivid world that few RPGs have.

Q3. What direction would you like to see the Wild ARMs series take in the future?

I'd like to see them really embrace the wild west idea. WA3 was probably the closest to this and it's probably my favorite among the games. Aside from that, be it traditional RPG or class-based SRPG, I'm fine either way.

I don't mind it at all, I've been playing NIS Strategy RPGs since the first debuted on the PS2 and have been hooked ever since.

I enjoy the different plot/style/atmosphere of the series as opposed to traditional Final Fantasy-type RPGs, but there needs to have something added to the series to draw more attention from the average gamer.

future?
Continue the series with new installments on XB360/PS3/Wii consoles, introduce new characters, try a new battle system, something unique.

- I'm excited about this move personally, because I'm a big fan of Strategy RPGs. It's been a while since I've played through the first Wild ARMs game, but I like the genre and I'm excited about the possibilities. I think that it opens up some new possibilities for the Wild ARMs series!

- I'd like to say that the series is quite innovative, but truthfully many aspects of these games resemble other RPGs in the market (present and past). Innovation can be hard to come by these days, but I feel as though the series makes strides in terms of story and immersion compared to other more lackluster RPGs. I can forgive a game for being a little less innovative if it is really engrossing and has an excellent plot and character development.

future?

- Hmmm....that's a very interesting question. Personally, I feel that games (or content) in the form of "Episodes" could prove interesting for this series. I have always been fascinated with the potential of creating a story spanning multiple chapters (or characters) where future outcomes are influenced by your actions from earlier events. For example, I'd use the Shining Force III model as a reference, where a complete story was told over 3 different games, but each game focused on a specific main character (with supporting characters crossing paths moving forward). In Shining Force III, you were rewarded for making certain decisions, or saving certain characters from earlier disks (called scenarios) - to unlock different endings or possibilities.

Since the Wild ARMs series have obivous staying power - given the number of titles in the series, and a notable fan base by this time - I feel that something like this could be viably developed and supported. Even on the PS2 - which enjoys an incredible install base and where production costs could be kept down compared to next-gen platforms!

1. I'm a bit curious about it. I want to see how this will influence the series. I recently started playing SRPGs like Jeanne D'arc and FF War of the Lions.
2. The westerm theme.
3. Make it less generic and something innovative that will make it unique from other RPGs.

I'm ok with that because I like Strategy RPG games.

I think it's a good series that more people should play.

future?

I would like to see a Wild ARMs game for the Nintendo DS.

I like SRPG games and it would be a positive thing for me and not a negative. I like The Wild Arms Series and hope that this Direction it has taken will make the series more better.

I would say they are similar to traditional RPGs, but have a difference in them as well. I liek the Stories, Characters, Graphics and Cut-Scenes, and the Battle System.

future?

I would like for it to stick to its roots but also show a little innovation. I hope to see Better storylines, monsters, characters etc.

Honestly, I'm very excited. I can't get enough portable (good) SRPGs.

I love the Western theme of the games. The series has been great overall with the exception of Wild Arms 3.

future?
I like the SRPG direction being taken with XF. Maybe they would continue to make Western themeed SRPGs.

I think its a good idea. Its nice to have SRPG versions of popular RPGs because it adds a bit of variety to the series.

They tend to have a bit more exploration then alot of RPGs. Also they are a good mix of wild west and rpg.

future?
Make a ps3 and xbox360 game for those who like high graphic games. Also make a entirely different Wii game that is a mix of hardcore gaming with a few casual modes on the side and maybe a small tie in reference to the other version. Plus make the wii game have a few special attacks that use the Wii remote as a light gun in battle.

Nice change of pace for the games. I could see this coming from the way the game used the Hex System in the last 2 games. I think its a great move for Wild arms almost following what Final Fantasy did. This should be a good way to get new players as SRPG like Disgaea have spawn new players for the GENRE.

Wild arms in the beginning was better to me because of the 3 way start in the first game (3 different starting points each with BG on the Characters). Also the games made another weapon class that many RPG left out which were Arms/Guns, which they also made the most powerful with a bullet limit. I think its a great series that tries to take the "Wild West Story" instead of the "Princess Story" and has been trying to use a different system from Regular RPG (HEX System). The Recents games have been a dissappoint in difficulty but that is because of the use of the new system. As for the Story and things, I believe that its following in the same lines as FF which some stuff from the older games but makes a new story. So in that area its pretty much the same as most RPG. Its a nice game that a little more easy to get into than FF which made me beat almost all the games that had come out for it.

future?

Try making the move to PS3 or Xbox 360. The games should be a mix of RPG and SRPG. For the game to become for unique I think they should try to make a Big hex grid like a mini SRPG map. This would be more of a Fast SRPG. This should be backed with the regular 7 grid for Random battles. I would call this an expanded Hex system.

1. I'm kind of tired of SRPGs, partially because they tend to require more strategy and commitment than regular RPGs, something I just can't do these days as a busy student about to enter the workforce. So I don't really like that it's an SRPG.

2. 1, 2, 3, and Alter Code F were all great RPGs. 4 was absolutely abysmal and I took it as pretty much a sick joke by the developers. I've avoided picking up 5 since it looks a lot like 4, though I hear it is an improvement. I'll probably pick up 5 when it drops to $20.

3. PLEASE throw out the Hex system, for the love of Jesus! Go back to what made the first three so great- the inventive puzzles, the different tools for each character, the fairly straightforward but enjoyable storyline, the traditional yet fun battle system, and memorable characters. If the series goes back to its roots, I have faith that the developers will be able to create a truly great WA game worthy to sit alongside the first three in the series.

1.) I love SRPG games, so it has renewed my interest in the series.

2.) I was really impressed with the art style in 3. The cel-shading and the western setting really made it stand out.

3.) I would like them to stick with the traditional RPG route and make the battle system a little deeper.

Q1. It's crazy how many strategy RPGs there are on PSP, but the genre is very well-suited to the system, and Wild Arms XF honestly looks like it has what it takes to stand out. I love the colorful graphics, and the gameplay systems look intriguing.

Q2. Did you just say "RPG games"? You do know that would be like saying "Role-playing Game games," right?

The Wild Arms series originally stood out because it was one of the few RPGs available on the poorly supported original Playstation, but it remained a fan favorite because of its unique setting and great music. It seems like XF delivers on those aspects for sure.

Q3. I like what Media Vision has been doing, taking Wild Arms in different directions by adding platforming elements, tactical elements, and now doing a full-out tactical RPG on the PSP. A lot of companies seem satisfied just to port PS1 or PS2 games to the PSP, so it's great that Media Vision did something new, and I certainly don't begrudge them. Please keep the unique wild west setting of Wild Arms!

Also, it would be nice to see the price point at $29.99 for portable systems. Just because PS3 and Xbox 360 games seemingly have to be overpriced to create a profit margin due to the hardware doesn't mean portable game prices have to inflate as well.

I'm excited to try Wild Arms XF. It would be great to win a copy!

1.) I did enjoy the series being a normal RPG, but I am a huge fan of sRPG so I can always hope for the best.
2.) I've always enjoyed that Wild Arms setting has steered away from the conventional pure fantasy environments, since those are a dime a dozen.
3.) I would like the series to have a more hand drawn look to it since I do get quite annoyed when 3d models are used for every game even when its not necessary.

not sure if this is the right spot to post this, but I just got a pm from gamequest sayin I won. Good stuff :D This makes what...I think the 2nd or 3rd contest I've ever won in my life lol. Good luck to the rest of you. I think I saw somebody else say that he won too. I wonder how many winners they're going to choose?

1. I like strategy games so I don't mind Wild Arms dipping into the genre.

2. For me, Wild Arms is a pretty mediocre series compared to other RPGs. I thought the first 2 were great but it went downhill after that until recently.

3. I'd like to see Wild Arms do something new and unexpected for at least one game. I feel that the JRPG genre is getting stale. I don't know what I want to see but I hope I get suprised (in a good way).

I think it will be a good way for me to enter the series.

I've neveer played them before but this one has me excited.
future?
Any genre it fits in while still being good quality.

Kinda bummed. I would have loved to either see an action RPG or a straight up sequel in the vein of old school WAs (ie, WA1)

I enjoyed the first one the most I think. They are a great series, but I think they should concentrate on what they know best (mixing RPG with platforming) rather than experimenting.

future?

Like I said in 1, I wouldn't mind an action RPG. Based on what the series has done in the past, I could easily see a Wild Arms with a top down action RPG in the vein of Ys.

I've always liked strategy RPGs ever since Final Fantasy Tactics. I suppose if Final Fantasy can make a game from turn based to strategy and still be successful, then I suppose Wild Arms can do the same.

The theme around Wild Arms is different compared to the others. Many RPGs like to aim for somewhat of a medieval theme or futuristic type RPGs.

future?
I'd like Wild Arms to go back to its old 2d style. It doesn't have to go completely back to the other original Wild Arms, but 2d drawn RPGs have always been my favorite.

Well, it's not like this hasn't been done to other series before and I personally haven't been let down much this kind of massive game mechanic switch. I'm a big SRPG fan and I'm VERY interested in getting my hands on this.

Aside from Dragon Quarter, which was a valiant effort but a genuinely bad game in my own opinion, Wild ARMs stands out as one of my favorite game series of all-time. I've always loved the focus on the "ARMs" weapons and the characters tend to be quite awesome, even if a bit cliche at times.

future? I would be interested in seeing both the standard JRPG style and another try at Dragon Quarter. Dragon Quarter could've been good with some serious alterations, but a few game-breaking things just totally ruined a potentially good experience. I think that, knowing these things, the team could easily make a much better game the second time around.

And just for the sake of saying so, I don't care what anyone else says, Wild ARMs 4, 5 and Alter Code F ARE good games. Generic or not, the only one in the series that I thought sucked was Wild ARMs 3 and even that's a bit better than some other major series failures, although most people wont say so because they'll just base their entire opinion of the game on a review or 2 they read. Anyway, I bet this game rocks hard. Sorry for ranting, but it's 7AM and I haven't been to bed. G'night CAGs!

Well... I've NEVER played a Wild Arms game. I really wanted to but nothing about them made me have to play them when I had the chance. Always putting it off. But this one, I want to play right away mainly because it is a SRPG. If that is a good thing or not, I'm not sure since I'm going to be introduced to the series here first.

"Niche" is a word I usually see applied to it. Maybe that is why I never tried them. I'm not a big RPG fan so words like that scare me off when I've only played the "more popular" series out there.

future?

They have already put it on the PSP which is what I wanted, so I'm not sure.

Q1. I love SRPGs more than RPGs (no random battles being the first and foremost difference). This has increased my interest in the series, however I am intrigued by No 5 as well. It seems really promising. I haven't had a chance to play it yet though.

Q2. I like the western atmosphere and unique take on puzzle solving through tools (since I have only played 3)

Q3. Having both SRPG and RPG would be awesome. I wouldn't mind seeing an SRPG on S3 ;)

Q1. Kind of interested and a bit worried especially since it's going to be on a mobile console. I recently purchased a PSP for games on the go.

Q2. Don't know too much about the series but, I remember the one way back on PS1 having decent reviews. This would be my first exposure to it (of course if I won). :p

Q3. Maybe something that highlighted online play? I know it's difficult to implement into RPGs but, downloadable content would be sweet as well.

Q1. Kinda bummed that it went to strategy RPG, but id be more willing to try a strat rpg again a poratable format,especially when i can put battles into suspend mode.

Q2. Wild Arms is an Interesting twist on most rpgs in that instead of High fantasy environments you get somthing that not a whole lot of games utilize, that is the wild west esque theme. Also they do try to change the traditional combat with the Hex system which was pretty fun in Wild Arms 5. Im interested to see how it will translate in a strat rpg

Q3. I just want it to get that next gen make over. It doesnt really need anything in the way of game play. Either you love it or hate it.

wel, since it's an off-shoot of the series, and not an official sequel, I'm actually very OK with it and actually think it's an interesting idea. Cautiously optimistic!

it's always been a mid-line series for me. I've liked the past games, but they've never been 'must have' titles for me personally.

future?

i would LOVE the Wild Arms series to go ARPG, in the same ilk as the Tales of Destiny series.

Q1. Ecstatic, honestly. I think it's a great direction for the series to take and it'll get some new people into Wild Arms.

Q2. Interesting. The setting and wild west theme with magic just always set it apart from other series for me.

Q3. I say more of the strategy, some specially unique puzzles and/or side quests, and more whistling in the soundtrack. Can't get enough of that.

I just recently started to get into strategy RPGs with Jeanne D'Arc, so I'm looking forward to it. A lot. :D

I would say that the Wild Arms series is definitley one my favorite series, mainly because it's got such a different setting.

future?

I'd like it to go even further into the whole Western style that makes it different. Maybe even make a first/third person shooter RPG.

they've already been picking them from time to time. I just got shipping confirmation for my prize, and another guy before me also said that he won.

You'll get a PM in your CAG inbox if you've been picked

After playing WA4 and WA5's fun, addictive battle system, I have to say that I'm really looking forward to seeing how Media Vision's take on a Strategy RPG turns out.

First four games settings were really what set them apart from other RPGs for me. The setting just brought in elements (characters/music/story) that you normally wouldn't see in JRPGs.

Unlike the first 4, what really set WA4 and WA5 apart from most RPGs was the battle system and platforming elements (a lot more in WA4 than WA5).

future?
Really not sure on this one since I would need to play XF to see how that went.
However, I really would like to see some more focus on bringing back the puzzle elements that the first 4 games in the series had.

I think its a cool idea. I love SRPGs and it makes sense to transfer the hexes over.

I love it. It's just different enough to hold my interest. 5 was great; the story was a little predicable, but it was told from a little different perspective, and I love that subtle innovation.

future?

I'd like to see MORE. I like that they are branching out into an SRPG, and I might even like to see an MMO in the future. As long as WA6 makes it to the PS3 in the states, I'll be happy.

Smart move. The genre of Strategy RPG rarely gets old for me.

The original two were good, but I lost interest past then.

future?

Compilations of the previous two games. Or at least Wild Arms 2 showing up on the PSN store.

Q1.) I like strategy rpg's, so this Wild ARMs game has attracted my attention.

Q2.) Wild ARMs has always had a distinctive look to it. I like that western flavor it has.

Q3.) It doesn't matter to me what direction the series takes in the future as long as the stories and gameplay improve.

I'm not to happy about it.

I love the western feel to them.

future?
Back to RPG format.

I love SRPG's, so I'm very excited. Hopefully it can pry me away from Disgaea: AoD

I've never actually played a Wild ARMs game, but they seem to have a pretty distinct style, and the Wild west theme is pretty cool.

future?
FPS. Wild West FPS with heavy RPG elements=must have.

I have mixed feeling about it. At one end i would love it to stay the way it always have been but at the other end they might do something new in intavating.

When i first played wild arms it was something diffrent. I liked the whole western theme but they have changed it over time and didn't really enjoy the newer version but hopefully this new release will change that.

future?
I think they will stick with this version of the game. They probably got bored of the old story line and want a change.

I haven't played a Wild Arms game yet but love strategy RPGs and have heard good things about the franchise so I can't wait to try it

From the screen shots it looks like it will be better than a lot of others I've played.

future?
I would like to see them stay with the strategy RPG for the psp version but go with a real time action based rpg for the 360 or PS3.

The Hex system seems to make it so it's an isometric tactics game where you can actually attack diagonally, so sign me up!

They've always been rather 'Traditional' to me. Booting up Wild Arms 3 for the PS2 was an interesting experience, finding out it wasn't voice acted and they had a filter on the game to make it look handdrawn.

future?
I hope they continue the series with tactic games as much as they don't, really. Game looks great, but there's so many isometric FFT esque games in my eyes, it's a bit much.

Q1. Since the gameplay in traditional JRPGs really boils down to extremely simplistic, turn-based strategy, it's actually very refreshing to see these types of RPGs go the route of the strategy RPG. Adding movement and more character class/inventory management requires the player to be more involved with their party and have to think about the heightened complexity of the gameplay mechanics. Generally, adding complexity can make an RPG more interesting for a longer period of time.

Q2. Gameplay-wise, they don't really differentiate between other JRPGs. They do have a somewhat unique style and setting.

Q3. Continue to add complexity in this manner or change the battle system to make it unique, compared to other JRPGs. RPGs that are too similar to others in the same genre get lost in hype of other established IPs, which this game has suffered from in the North American market. Also, the game needs its pacing tweaked, as the initial games in the series were very slow.

I think it will be a welcome change to make the games worth playing again.

The first one was awesome. Between it, Suikoden, and FFVII it made my playstation purchase worth it. The problem started with the rest of the games where they became average.

future?

I think this one looks great. If it plays as good as it looks, I think this would be a refreshing direction, especially if they can improve it in sequels.

1) I love strategy rpgs in the vein of FFT. Some of the job classes in XF sound intriguing. I just hope that the plot stands up well, because I think that can make or break a strategy rpg.

2) I really like the Wild Arms series-it and Suikoden were my first Playstation purchases and I got hooked. I like the Wild West themes, and I like the characters, especially in the newer games.

3) I don't think it needs to go in a different direction, just more of the same is fine with me. Maybe something on the DS or Wii to incorporate some different styles of gameplay.

Q1) I love strategy RPGs on Hand helds, so I think its awesome that the PSP Wild Arms is a startegy RPG. Hand helds work well with turn based games so if you want Wild Arms on the road, slow pace can be good.

Q2) Well Wild Arms looks to be more of a Japaneese RPG than, say, Mass Effect or World of Warcraft. But then again, you can't play WoW on your PSP, yet,....

Q3) A name like Wild ARMS just begs to be a Music/Rythm game. Weather its playing the drums or flailing your ARMS as dancing and Wild ARMS RockPG would rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back