CAG Car Thread!

Just arrived today.

what an experience, ring taxi is a blast.

IMG_20140713_102244.jpg

IMG_20140713_111620.jpg

IMG_20140713_103117.jpg

excited for the trackday tomorrow

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting my car detailed today! It'll finally look like what it's supposed to before those idiots at the dealership fucked the paint all up. Getting it opti-coated too since I won't really be able to really wash it anymore with the baby.

Pricing for the new Acura TLX came out and it starts at $32k for the FWD base and tops out at $46k for the V6 AWD. I think I can live without the V6 and AWD, but I like the extras of the Tech package. I'd really prefer the Advance package though, too bad it starts at $43.5k.

On the off chance that I do trade in the BRZ, I'm not so sure if I'll get a WRX Limited or TLX Tech since they'll really only be about 1-2k apart. Decisions...decisions...

finished my first day at the ring, did about 8 laps since my wife chickend out and only did 1. Gave the last lap to my instructor since he offered me a free hotlap.

http://youtu.be/I_2Tc_-Sbys?t=1m6s

It's a crazy track, and they had the pitlane open since it's a trackday so they had the nice final straight open!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZETbLLhmzNA

Anybody have any experience with getting your windows tinted? Is it expensive? Does it last? Any downsides? My eyes are really sensitive, so I'm thinking about tinting the windows in my new Jetta. (Plus, it'll make me look cool. Right?)

Just picked it up today. Had to drive straight to work, but I love it so far. I've only stalled it like 4 times. :lol:

kSA8TqD.jpg

EDIT: Forgot to mention that VW gave me GAP insurance for $8 a month. I thought it was a pretty good deal considering that it's a 6 year loan and I didn't put anything down. Plus, most insurance companies don't offer it here because it's not required in the state of Indiana.
Just an FYI... You shouldn't ever pay more than $300 for gap insurance. I work in the auto loan financing side for a bank and no all the in's and outs of what is possible and how dealers really make their money that consumers never see or ever know about...

Your paying like $576 for your gap which is the same price you'll see gap on a luxury car or brand new SUV. A good calculator is 2% of amount financed or $300. Anything more than that and you are getting ripped off. I know it's only a couple hundred but still.

If anyone ever has questions about financing a car I'm your guy! :whistle2:$

Also just to add, not as cool as some of the cars you guys are posting, but below is my baby

fd_2011-hyundai-sonata_span.jpg

Can post actual pictures later, but it's a great ride! Nearly fully loaded with Sunroof, Nav, Premium sound... Used to drive a Subaru WRX, but I had to grow up a little

saw some pretty sexy things at the ring today

10484481_10152236937154142_5777501976874728318_o.jpg

[video=youtube;8fnv4QgD8pI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fnv4QgD8pI[/video]

[video=youtube;8YLc-tzPhHg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YLc-tzPhHg[/video]

[video=youtube;5l6JIf6BP8Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l6JIf6BP8Y[/video]
[video=youtube;puTpuOa5zrQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puTpuOa5zrQ[/video]
[video=youtube_share;E8DZ7G03XeE]http://youtu.be/E8DZ7G03XeE[/video]

Bestkeeper, I crossed shopped my 09 Mazda6 S with a 09 WRX back in 08. Salesman at both dealers seemed baffled.

I was also looking at new and 1st gen Camaros before I found that 67 Firebird.

But a 541 V8 built by a Funny Car builder/racer kinda sold itself.

Zoglog, thanks for the vids! Seems like an awesome experience.

Just an FYI... You shouldn't ever pay more than $300 for gap insurance. I work in the auto loan financing side for a bank and no all the in's and outs of what is possible and how dealers really make their money that consumers never see or ever know about...

Your paying like $576 for your gap which is the same price you'll see gap on a luxury car or brand new SUV. A good calculator is 2% of amount financed or $300. Anything more than that and you are getting ripped off. I know it's only a couple hundred but still.

If anyone ever has questions about financing a car I'm your guy! :whistle2:$

Also just to add, not as cool as some of the cars you guys are posting, but below is my baby

fd_2011-hyundai-sonata_span.jpg

Can post actual pictures later, but it's a great ride! Nearly fully loaded with Sunroof, Nav, Premium sound... Used to drive a Subaru WRX, but I had to grow up a little
Good to know we have somebody on our side here :) The Sonatas are pretty sweet and those turbo versions are a beast. I know of 3 people that switched to them because of how comfortable they are.

Anybody have any experience with getting your windows tinted? Is it expensive? Does it last? Any downsides? My eyes are really sensitive, so I'm thinking about tinting the windows in my new Jetta. (Plus, it'll make me look cool. Right?)
I've had mine done in my two cars. It was about $170 for a coupe and $215 for a sedan. See if you can find some reviews on vwvortex for local and trustworthy installers. Also see if you need window felt on yours. I didn't have it put on mine and there are some vertical scratches on it from rolling down the windows.

Yea, I hate how shady dealers are and people may not even know!  worst part about the business.  I used to work for Wells Fargo and boy do people get ripped off!  Now I work at a credit union and we make sure we don't rip off our members.  If anyone has any questions ever about the behind the scene stuff when they go buy feel free to ask!

If done at a reputable shop, then yeah, it'll last a while and cost a couple hundred bucks. I'm still debating whether or not to get mine done. The only caveat is that they can't really legally tint the front windshield. You might be able to get a few inches of coverage on the top, but that's it.

On another note, I got my car back from detailed this week to fix the car wash that the dealer gave. Looks a shitload better now, but you can still see telltale signs of how bad the paint was fucked up and unable to be corrected without a repaint. On the brightside, you'd have to get within 6 inches to really be able to see it though. Since it's a DD, it's good enough for me.

Yea, I hate how shady dealers are and people may not even know! worst part about the business. I used to work for Wells Fargo and boy do people get ripped off! Now I work at a credit union and we make sure we don't rip off our members. If anyone has any questions ever about the behind the scene stuff when they go buy feel free to ask!
Just to revisit this, I just reviewed my papers and enrolled in online banking for where I got my new loan..

I got cheated once, and tricked once. I talked to a loan agent somewhere else(someone I forgot did car loans or I would have gone there) and she told me the bank was basically just playing tricks on me. The loans papers were layed out, and I'm one of those people that usually scrutinize everything but got too comfortable and let my guard down, and ended up signing a spot on the loan details page for credit insurance, which is total BS. They didn't tell me it was in there, I should have spent 30 min reading the 2 point font but, was told they SHOULD have informed me it was snuck in. I just got it canceled refunded today, but also caught they charged me for the GAP I REFUSED DURING SIGNING!

I called them and they said the loan department just overlooked my GAP refusal form when entering my loan into their system.

Yeah, sure.

Just to revisit this, I just reviewed my papers and enrolled in online banking for where I got my new loan..

I got cheated once, and tricked once. I talked to a loan agent somewhere else(someone I forgot did car loans or I would have gone there) and she told me the bank was basically just playing tricks on me. The loans papers were layed out, and I'm one of those people that usually scrutinize everything but got too comfortable and let my guard down, and ended up signing a spot on the loan details page for credit insurance, which is total BS. They didn't tell me it was in there, I should have spent 30 min reading the 2 point font but, was told they SHOULD have informed me it was snuck in. I just got it canceled refunded today, but also caught they charged me for the GAP I REFUSED DURING SIGNING!

I called them and they said the loan department just overlooked my GAP refusal form when entering my loan into their system.

Yeah, sure.
Good news is all back end products that are financed on a contract should be cancel-able except usually maintenance. So yea always check you never know what they will try and sneak on there. My credit union offers it's own Gap that kills $299 for full gap coverage, and we also give you $1000 extra on top of the value of the car

I have no sympathy for Honda. The company has so many issues and is squandering their good name. The last decent fun car they had was the S2000. the NSX almost seems like Vaporware at this point. First to announce and last to get released. Since they've announced other companies have announced and released their similar "hybrids"

Porsche 918

BMW i8

La Ferrari

Mclaren P1

I have no sympathy for Honda. The company has so many issues and is squandering their good name. The last decent fun car they had was the S2000. the NSX almost seems like Vaporware at this point. First to announce and last to get released. Since they've announced other companies have announced and released their similar "hybrids"

Porsche 918
BMW i8
La Ferrari
Mclaren P1
QFT. I still dream about owning an S2000. Black with red seats. Oh yes...one day, she will be MINE

QFT. I still dream about owning an S2000. Black with red seats. Oh yes...one day, she will be MINE
I'm pondering between getting an S2000 for tracking or a miata. The miata will be half the cost so it's kind of hard to go with the S2000. Funny thing is one of my employees was looking to get an S2000 (2007, 50k) for 17k. Dealer claims it isn't salvaged but that price is suspicious to me.

I'm pondering between getting an S2000 for tracking or a miata. The miata will be half the cost so it's kind of hard to go with the S2000. Funny thing is one of my employees was looking to get an S2000 (2007, 50k) for 17k. Dealer claims it isn't salvaged but that price is suspicious to me.
Also possible that it's had a ton of owners. There are some serious garage queens for sale within 200 miles of me though. If only I was making $40k more LOLZ.

I have a friend that had an AP1 as a DD and he used to tell me about all the close calls he had smashing the car into trees when I told him I was getting an FR-S or BRZ. "Don't do it," he said. I rarely listen to that part of my brain...errr or reasonable people when it comes to cars.

Porsche 918

BMW i8

La Ferrari

Mclaren P1
Yeah, I'm not a Honda fan by any means, but the NSX looked pretty cool nonetheless. Honda always seems to take forever with their sports cars for some reason.

Every once in a while, I'll see one for sale here, but they're all high mileage.

Finally getting my Bird back early next week. Supposedly anyway. I'll have trouble not melting the tires as soon as I get back in it.

Next have to install some padding for the roll cage. Maybe upgrading the Master Cylinder and adding a Bosch Hydraulic Booster, but haven't decided for sure yet.

That T/A concept is a few years old, I believe the company that made it would convert a 5th Gen Camaro(what it is, a Camaro with a body kit and cut up roof) for like 30-40K

My bird is caged for another week. I'm ticked. Three weeks, originally told 3 ddays or so.

It's probably a garage queen. My question is whether or not it has 14 year old oil in the engine because there's only one record in carfax, which appears clean.

So I go to a local Chinese noodle joint that has hand-drawn noodles and across the street, I see a baby blue Aston Martin DBS, Mercedes Benz SLS AMG, and Maserati GranTurismo parked behind one another. Thought to myself, "it be funny if they were all eating at the noodle joint." Walked inside and didn't see anyone that looked like they'd be well heeled enough to own them. I head to the brazilian place a couple blocks away to get some cheese balls and some bbq and on my way back, I see 2 portly taiwanese dudes in their early 20's smoking outside the noodle place. Turns out they owned 2 of the cars and the portliest one was inside the restaurant with his non-portly gf. They watched me put the food in my car. As they went to their cars, I screamed out "nice cars!" and gave them the thumbs up. They ignored me...LOLZ. It must be nice to have parents willing to give you $300k to spend on cars. They probably thought I was a scrub for driving a BRZ. :rofl:

Man, I'm jelly :D

Truth be told, I'd rather spend the money on an LFA. ;)

Been wanting to get back into the hobby after a long absence. 
Had a couple of Muscle Cars in my younger days ( '70 Chevelle SS 396, '70 442, '69 GTO) until I moved out of NY, got married and had kids.
Recently the Mrs. decided she was on board with picking up something to cruise around in on the weekends. She has always wanted a convertible, and since I've never owned one, I thought that would be kind of fun.

We just picked this up last weekend. Never owned a European car before.
It's 10 years old, but it only has 38,000 miles, and looks like it was pretty much babied.
I looked at an AMG that looked exactly like this (this one is a CLK 230, the AMG was a 55) but this was cheaper and in much better condition.

image-4.jpg

It was $21,000, and it was from a CarMax. So I wasn't able to haggle on the price.
It may have been slightly overpriced, but I know CarMax is extremely picky regarding the cars they take it. Plus I was able to add their warranty, which was something I really wanted to do, knowing how expensive it can be to repair these cars.
We have a really great little shop here in town that specializes in Mercedes repair, and the owner very much recommended the CM warranty.

It was $21,000, and it was from a CarMax. So I wasn't able to haggle on the price.
It may have been slightly overpriced, but I know CarMax is extremely picky regarding the cars they take it. Plus I was able to add their warranty, which was something I really wanted to do, knowing how expensive it can be to repair these cars.
We have a really great little shop here in town that specializes in Mercedes repair, and the owner very much recommended the CM warranty.
Heck yeah, the prices on OEM parts on German cars can get ridiculous. One thing I don't miss about them.

Twice what my "hot rod" gets. But, thats what happens when you have 541CI and 4.56 gears.

Via SD:

Discount Tire Direct is doing double rebates on a shit load of tires if you get their credit card and FREE SHIPPING. With prices that are the same as Tire Rack, you can save over $40 on shipping alone even if you don't get the cc and still qualify for a mfr rebate. I'm debating getting some Super Sports and with the double rebate, I won't have to pay for gas for over a month. $600 for tires shipped with $150 Visa gift card? I'm almost sold.

does this apply to their america's tire stores? I have one near me and I need to put some super sports on my wagon as well.

Via SD:

Discount Tire Direct is doing double rebates on a shit load of tires if you get their credit card and FREE SHIPPING. With prices that are the same as Tire Rack, you can save over $40 on shipping alone even if you don't get the cc and still qualify for a mfr rebate. I'm debating getting some Super Sports and with the double rebate, I won't have to pay for gas for over a month. $600 for tires shipped with $150 Visa gift card? I'm almost sold.

does this apply to their america's tire stores? I have one near me and I need to put some super sports on my wagon as well.
Deal is dead, but peeps were just printing carts from DTD for them to match.

I decided not to pull the trigger because my stockies barely have 12k on them and I can't justify the expense when I don't do donuts and/or burnouts with winter coming in a couple months. Maybe next year. :twisted:

I don't do donuts and/or burnouts
I don't either, and it pains me. I get free tires for 2 years with my warranty, I really should be taking advantage of that.

Also, I came in here to ask about my oil changes. My old cars always got changes every 3,000 miles. They were junk cars, so we tried to change it often, knowing that it could only help. But VW suggests 10,000 for my new Jetta. While I have no doubt that the synthetic oil can last that long, I'm worried about the filter. Can a filter really handle 10,000 miles? Should I just change it myself more frequently?

I know I'm being paranoid, but my fear is that they purposely tell me to wait until 10,000 miles so the crap in there starts to wear out the cylinders. Then at 50,000 miles, when the compression ratio is shit, I can take it to them for a nice costly repair.

I don't either, and it pains me. I get free tires for 2 years with my warranty, I really should be taking advantage of that.
Tell me about it! It's what my car was made for! I ended up getting a manufacturer extended warranty on the car and one of the benefits is a road hazard warranty. Theoretically, I could pop all my tires and just get the tires I actually want, but it'd be a HUGE pain since I'd need to take it to the dealer. Better to just let them get fucked on their own with higher mileage so that they'd need to swap out all four.

Also, I came in here to ask about my oil changes. My old cars always got changes every 3,000 miles. They were junk cars, so we tried to change it often, knowing that it could only help. But VW suggests 10,000 for my new Jetta. While I have no doubt that the synthetic oil can last that long, I'm worried about the filter. Can a filter really handle 10,000 miles? Should I just change it myself more frequently?

I know I'm being paranoid, but my fear is that they purposely tell me to wait until 10,000 miles so the crap in there starts to wear out the cylinders. Then at 50,000 miles, when the compression ratio is shit, I can take it to them for a nice costly repair.
Yeah, that sounds excessive to me too, but is your powertrain warranty only 4yr/48k miles? I'd think that most are 5yr/70k at this point.

I'm looking forward to super sports. the PS2's on my car wear way too fast. Most people only get 15k of life on them max.

I'd like to get a new beater soon and am curious if you guys have any recommendations based on this criteria: I would like something like the old Chevy Trackers there out, basically mini-mini- SUVs since I don't know what else to classify them. As I'm not a car guy, the only way I can describe what I want is something that doesn't sit low to the ground like a car and is raised higher. I don't want a truck, van, or SUV though so I can't think of too many vehicles like those older Trackers. Since those are kinda hard to find, at least ones that haven't been driven into the ground, I'm considering the older Jeep Liberty models from 05-07 (they changed them after 07 and I like the smaller size these years had) since they are compact SUVs and I could likely tolerate one plus out of all the compact SUVs I like those ones the most.

Go run around the forums at bobistheoilguy.com and you'll learn everything you want to know about oil and filters. There are people that drive non stop for their jobs, and go distances you probably won't believe. That said, it definitely won't hurt to change the filter halfway through if you feel you need to.

Basically, 10K miles on a great oil and filter is fine. The whole 3k oil changes is something that is pushed by oil change places for obvious reasons. What would happen if ALL their customers came in half as much? Or even 5k miles instead of 3k?

Manufacturer's on the other hand, make their money from reliable cars and repeat customers. They have had the extended drain on intervals with synthetic for a while now.

I'd like to get a new beater soon and am curious if you guys have any recommendations based on this criteria: I would like something like the old Chevy Trackers there out, basically mini-mini- SUVs since I don't know what else to classify them. As I'm not a car guy, the only way I can describe what I want is something that doesn't sit low to the ground like a car and is raised higher. I don't want a truck, van, or SUV though so I can't think of too many vehicles like those older Trackers. Since those are kinda hard to find, at least ones that haven't been driven into the ground, I'm considering the older Jeep Liberty models from 05-07 (they changed them after 07 and I like the smaller size these years had) since they are compact SUVs and I could likely tolerate one plus out of all the compact SUVs I like those ones the most.

Nissan Juke, KIA Soul, and the upcoming Chevy Trax sound like what your looking for.

KIA Soul is cheap, and has a lot of content and long warranty, with that highish seating position your wanting.

Pretty good Wagon turnout at the Sonoma Grand Prix

IMG_20140824_114017.jpg

Scott Dixon pulled off some fun donuts after winning the Indycar Race

IMG_20140824_155048.jpg

Great viewing area in the Cadillac hospitality area with a putting green :)

IMG_20140823_094525.jpg

And of course a quick visit to the paddock

IMG_20140823_161551.jpg

This was one of the more interesting car's that rolled past that weekend

IMG_20140823_161030.jpg

And of course Airshow! 'MERICA!

IMG_20140824_121856.jpg

Duct tape, good enough for a McLaren MP-12C!

IMG_20140824_153935.jpg

And lastly, got to drive the parade lap in a CTS-V Sedan for the Pirelli World Challenge :)

IMG_20140824_160822.jpg

IMG_20140824_161049.jpg

bread's done
Back