CAG Fast Food/Restaurant Foodies Thread

On the topic of Chick-FIl-A, we in Madison just received our first CFA.  One of ~3 in the state, apparently.  Think I'll try it out sometime within the next week.

Tried out Quiznos again recently. The Baja Chicken and the Carbonara. Both were OK, the Carbonara better, but Subway's subs were warmer and their bread doesn't fall apart immediately.

Don't go on Sunday, you will arrive disappointed.
That's why I call it Jesus chicken.

Quiznos really went to shit the last few years. They used to be awesome but the quality tanked. I got sick after eating one of their Chicken Carbonara. Never going back.

They used to have bread bowls that were awesome. Miss those days.

I can't even remember the last time I went to Quiznos, it's been at least 4 years. I used to always get a small Italian with a broccoli and cheese soup for lunch.

Anyone heard of Tony Luke's?  The mall food court up here has one. They have cheesesteaks, but I tried one of their [overpriced] burgers. Wasn't bad. They cooked it so much that the meat was falling apart. 

So I finally got a reservation to the Wolvesmouth dinner party in LA. Pretty hard since it's limited and lottery. At the end it's BOYB and basically pay what you want. Pretty fun since you get to talk with the chef and watch them do their magic in an apartment.

IMG_20141219_214850.jpg

https://picasaweb.google.com/101511530717216368432/Wolvesmouth?authkey=Gv1sRgCPvlp7ruyK6YhQE&feat=directlink

If you're in LA, I highly recommend getting on the mailing list to enter the lotto

http://wolvesmouth.com/mailing-list

Tried out Subway for the first time in a while. Was surprised to see the prices have gone up and that "Five Dollar Footlong" isn't a promotion that's available all the time. Their meat is OK, but the bread is a real letdown compared to Jimmy John's.

If you like Chipotle and haven't heard yet, they are doing a promotion on Monday where you get a free item for each Sofritas entree you buy. 

Buy however many on January 26th, and you can get your free burrito (with any meat this time iirc) from the 27th to the end of February (I think). Downside is you have to get all your freebies on the same visit (and keep the original receipt AND make sure it shows it was sofritas you bought on the 26th). 

http://www.chipotle.com/en-US/html/sofritasmonday.aspx

(read the, as usual, insanely small print for the part that for multiple items)

Sofritas are the spicy tofu, is this correct? Tried a sample before and it was tasty. Couldn't see eating a whole burrito with tofu though.

Don't forget Wendy's has the frosty key chain tab for $1. Frosty all year for a buck!

Sofritas are the spicy tofu, is this correct? Tried a sample before and it was tasty. Couldn't see eating a whole burrito with tofu though.

Don't forget Wendy's has the frosty key chain tab for $1. Frosty all year for a buck!
Got a frosty key tab last year, it broke at the hole punch and was lost before I had a chance to use it.

This year I reinforced the area around the hole with threaded packing tape.

Got a frosty key tab last year, it broke at the hole punch and was lost before I had a chance to use it.

This year I reinforced the area around the hole with threaded packing tape.

Yeah, heard it's good but haven't tried it yet (well that changes today) and yeah tofu as a "meat" in a burrito seems a bit odd haha.

EDIT: Posted elsewhere but yeah, tried it and so far I'm having trouble figuring out where the hell the Sofritas are outside of the flavor (which is tasty). Guess blending in with the rice well or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's this sandwich joint that just opened up  a few months ago over here called Lee's Sandwiches, I went there the other day and tried a BBQ Pork Sandwich which was pretty good and can't say I've had anything like it before. They have two different types of sandwiches for the people that never heard of this chain and they are between two classes, Asian and European.

Anybody recommend anything else?

348s.jpg

There's this sandwich joint that just opened up a few months ago over here called Lee's Sandwiches, I went there the other day and tried a BBQ Pork Sandwich which was pretty good and can't say I've had anything like it before. They have two different types of sandwiches for the people that never heard of this chain and they are between two classes, Asian and European.

348s.jpg
I've been wanting to try this place

They're supposed to have good Banh Mi sandwiches :0

I've been wanting to try this place

They're supposed to have good Banh Mi sandwiches :0
That's what I got out of some of there reviews, I just don't know enough of Vietnamese food to know what is what.

I think you'll like it and the sandwiches are cheap, I paid under $4 and it was a good size.

There's this sandwich joint that just opened up a few months ago over here called Lee's Sandwiches, I went there the other day and tried a BBQ Pork Sandwich which was pretty good and can't say I've had anything like it before. They have two different types of sandwiches for the people that never heard of this chain and they are between two classes, Asian and European.

I usually eat this maybe once every two weeks or so. I get the #11 Special Combo

I've been meaning to ask, anybody gone to Wahlburgers and how is it?

There's a burger place out here I've been meaning to go to, it's called Eureak Burger and it looks awesome!!!

Eureka+Burger.jpg

No, there's one over there by Portillos, everybody says they are pretty good, there's a Jason's Deli right next to it which I also haven't tried.

No, there's one over there by Portillos, everybody says they are pretty good, there's a Jason's Deli right next to it which I also haven't tried.
Yeah Jason's Deli is delicious. Burger Boss is really good the 2 times I had it. I had Portillos 2 weeks ago and it was well you know fantastic.

That's what I got out of some of there reviews, I just don't know enough of Vietnamese food to know what is what.

I think you'll like it and the sandwiches are cheap, I paid under $4 and it was a good size.
Oh wow

That's super cheap!

I like how the pork one u posted earlier looks

I think I'll try it this weekend :)

Tried Whataburger when I was in San Antonio for PAX South. It was decent prices were good I would say close to the prices of Carls JR. I had the BBQ Burger with A1 forgot what's its called

Also had to get some Chick-fil-a in the Minneapolis Airport just as good as I remember from 2009

Glad to see Banh Mi brought up in the thread. I love 'em. Whenever we go for pho I always get one to-go and save it for dinner. And as mentioned before they're usually dirt cheap.

What is the bread they use for it? It's nice and crunchy but not chewy, tough or hard to eat. It's probably my favorite kind of bread.

Have any of you guys seen chef?  Decent movie if you love food, also don't eat when hungry.

"Leaves thread to go look for good Cuban food, finds none" 

Glad to see Banh Mi brought up in the thread. I love 'em. Whenever we go for pho I always get one to-go and save it for dinner. And as mentioned before they're usually dirt cheap.

What is the bread they use for it? It's nice and crunchy but not chewy, tough or hard to eat. It's probably my favorite kind of bread.
French Bread.

Some place also make a Banh Mi with fried eggs. I usually have to eat two Banh Mi of any kind to get full though.

i thought they were decently sized?
To most people it probably is, but I been eating these things since I was so little that one doesn't really cut it for me. They are priced very cheap too. Use to able to get them for $2 but now the average around $3 where I live.

I make authentic Cuban food
While I can't cook for you I can recommend Cuban approved places
Are you in CA?
I'm in Riverside, cook for me! Where are some places though? I don't think I've seen any around here, I've been to Portos, that's as Cuban as I've been. I know there is a fancy Cuban restaurant in Pomona, after checking google it looks like there is something in Corona.

The place I mentioned earlier makes all there bread fresh in store, it does have a nice crisp crunch and definitely doesn't tug when your getting a bite.

Has anyone tried KFC's new Popcorn Bites? If so, are they like the classic Popcorn Chicken, or those crappy Original Chicken Bites just rebranded?

Has anyone tried KFC's new Popcorn Bites? If so, are they like the classic Popcorn Chicken, or those crappy Original Chicken Bites just rebranded?
Just from the commercials I am getting at they are more chicken then breading, so more like nuggets then the original popcorn chicken which I felt was more batter then anything. but I did like those a ton!

I make authentic Cuban food
While I can't cook for you I can recommend Cuban approved places
Are you in CA?
That's the problem, I am in Colorado and we do not have much in the way of Caribbean foods. My mom tries to make all of our family recipes but has issues due to the lack of ingredients here.

However I did just find a place and it looks really good.

Pizza Hut has sent me a gajillion promo codes this past week, so I thought I'd share the leftovers.

20% Off - 8M5HVCH8J7 (Ends 2/5)

20% Off - HC6AKYHLH9 (Ends 2/9)

Pizza Hut has sent me a gajillion promo codes this past week, so I thought I'd share the leftovers.

20% Off - 8M5HVCH8J7 (Ends 2/5)

20% Off - HC6AKYHLH9 (Ends 2/9)
I haven't had pizza hut since way before they added all the new stuff to there menu.

That's the problem, I am in Colorado and we do not have much in the way of Caribbean foods. My mom tries to make all of our family recipes but has issues due to the lack of ingredients here.

However I did just find a place and it looks really good.
You're Cuban too?

@Skizzim: I don't know anything in that area

Portos is ok. I like their guava pastries. Their papa rellena (potato ball) sucks though. And they've been starting to make a lot of recipes more mexicanized.

I know of other stuff in SoCal though if you want

You're Cuban too?

Portos is ok. I like their guava pastries. Their papa rellena (potato ball) sucks though. And they've been starting to make a lot of recipes more mexicanized.

Negative, I'm Hispanic... I'm always open to anything, I venture out every now an then.

Lol@portos.... It's because the cooks are Mexican.

You're Cuban too?

Nope, I'm Puerto Rican

[quote name="bestkeeper14" post="12473453" timestamp="1423139386"]Nope, I'm Puerto Rican[/quote] Arroz con gandules, lechon asao y guineos en escabeche?

Have any of you guys seen chef? Decent movie if you love food, also don't eat when hungry.

"Leaves thread to go look for good Cuban food, finds none"
Til saw the movie part, thought you meant the TV show haha. Feel you on the Cuban though, had some in San Diego and it was amazing but got disappointed looking around here and seeing the only places pretty far away (by places, if I recall, it's like 2 or 3).

Phoenix, at least around where I am, seems lacking in Caribbean food, also Cajun food (sadly). Quite a bit of Asian including some (supposedly) more authentic type places and of course a ton of North Mexican food.

bread's done
Back