CAG Fast Food/Restaurant Foodies Thread

Til saw the movie part, thought you meant the TV show haha. Feel you on the Cuban though, had some in San Diego and it was amazing but got disappointed looking around here and seeing the only places pretty far away (by places, if I recall, it's like 2 or 3).

Phoenix, at least around where I am, seems lacking in Caribbean food, also Cajun food (sadly). Quite a bit of Asian including some (supposedly) more authentic type places and of course a ton of North Mexican food.
The same here, But I am sure it is because the ingrediants just aren't the same.

One of my favorite all time dishes is tostones, fried plantains. We get plantains here but they are just not nearly as good.

I read what you wrote as Tombstone, which immediately brought up "What do you want on your tombstone"  "Pepperoni, and sausage"

Wondering if anyone elses city does something similar to Denver's Restaurant week?  Basically restaurants do either a 3 course or 4 course meal for $60 a couple/$30 a person. (used to be 52.80 due to our altitude of 5280 feet, but was increased last year)

http://www.denver.org/denver-restaurant-week/

pretty cool idea for some restaurants that are super expensive, it does make me laugh some of the chains that participate that you save like $10 to.  Others it makes sense.

Nothing like that here, but Oriole Park holds an event every year where local chefs and restaurants show off their menu and food.

Wondering if anyone elses city does something similar to Denver's Restaurant week? Basically restaurants do either a 3 course or 4 course meal for $60 a couple/$30 a person. (used to be 52.80 due to our altitude of 5280 feet, but was increased last year)

pretty cool idea for some restaurants that are super expensive, it does make me laugh some of the chains that participate that you save like $10 to. Others it makes sense.
Have you been to any of the restaurants on the list? What would you say are the top 3-5 places? I noticed El Chubby's didn't make it this year. Might be fun to check out Elway's or Buckhorn Exchange.

Wondering if anyone elses city does something similar to Denver's Restaurant week? Basically restaurants do either a 3 course or 4 course meal for $60 a couple/$30 a person. (used to be 52.80 due to our altitude of 5280 feet, but was increased last year)

pretty cool idea for some restaurants that are super expensive, it does make me laugh some of the chains that participate that you save like $10 to. Others it makes sense.
They do it here in Arizona as well, can't remember if it has a set price or restaurants are allowed to set it (just looked and it's $33 or $44 apparently). Looks our last one was in September though and the next is in May, oddly times you'd least expect tourists here (May some might still be lingering about, but foolish to come to Arizona in September unless you really like hot weather haha).

Nice, you're from Colorado too? Where are you from?

I tried Morton's, Elways, and Pappadeaux during the restaurant week. My favorite was Morton's out of those three. Elway was just a let down. Restaurant week is a very nice time to try a new restaurant, although some of the waitress was snobby to us though. They acted like we can only afford to eat there just because it is restaurant week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you been to any of the restaurants on the list? What would you say are the top 3-5 places? I noticed El Chubby's didn't make it this year. Might be fun to check out Elway's or Buckhorn Exchange.
It depends on the kind of food you like. Elways you get like a 6 Oz steak, doesn't feel worth it. We are doing Ocean Primes this year, in previous years we have done carmines on penn (which is family style italian, but actually good unlike Bucca De bepo), We've done The Broker, Citron bistro (not worth it as regular menu items are just as cheap), Delizios, The chophouse(10 Oz sirloin! :drool:)... all depends on your likes and dislikes. Buckhorn would be good too!

The Fort says they serve mac and cheese with green chile and a buffalo steak. Sounds interesting.
That mac and cheese is to die for!

Nice, your from Colorado too? Where are you from?

I tried Morton's, Elways, and Pappadeaux during the restaurant week. My favorite was Morton's out of those three. Elway was just a let down. Restaurant week is a very nice time to try a new restaurant, although some of the waitress was snobby to us though. They acted like we can only afford to eat there just because it is restaurant week.
Denver of course, more specific I live in Littleton

Negative, I'm Hispanic... I'm always open to anything, I venture out every now an then.

Lol@portos.... It's because the cooks are Mexican.
No, the food when Portos first opened was very authentic, then as they got more mainstream they have changed. The owner and his wife are there from time to time and my family let him have it (don't ask) and they said that they did that as there are more Mexicans in the area and most are used to that flavor......:wall:

It's not a lot of the recipes they have but still, for example the tamales. The tamales used to be the Cuban ones (which I hate) and now they're mexican ones. I just think of it as false advertising.

I'm half Mexican, I grew up with my Cuban culture though so maybe that's why I'm more sensitive about it. There's not a lot of us so Ya.

If you're down for driving I can tell you some places though

Of course living in South Florida we have a Cuban place on every corner. I don't eat alot of it but every now and then there's a few places we visit. Good thing is it's very cheap down here. The lunch specials give you an insane amount of food fit for 2 people.

We have it really good, then.

Portland has dining MONTH. Where you can get 3 course meals for $29, no chains, award winning chefs. Great deals, we've gotten a dinner that would be $80+ off the menu for just $29

http://www.travelportland.com/article/portland-dining-month/

Portland has dining MONTH. Where you can get 3 course meals for $29, no chains, award winning chefs. Great deals, we've gotten a dinner that would be $80+ off the menu for just $29

So $1 difference? Yea that's exactly what it is here just funny that some chains try to join, for us places like shanny's, Elways, and del Frisco would normally cost around $100 a peeson

Almost forgot, I did get those new KFC Popcorn Chicken Bites. It is the classic Popcorn Chicken! No crappy OR Bites anymore!

Indy does something similar, I think it's sometime during the summer.

Seattle has two different restaurant weeks (usually two weeks each, go figure) and they tend to be okay. The fancier restaurants don't always participate but you get some good ones. The thing I noticed though is it usually ends up working out to a free dessert ($30 for a three course meal) and we usually skip dessert because the wife doesn't like chocolate or milk based desserts and most places have a poor selection. We did it a few times, but our favorite deal was at the Metropolitan Grill, a nice steak house down town. They have a deal where if you dine there in February and sign up for their deal they will then send you a gift card good for April for the full value of your entrees. So you basically get a $50-$100 steak dinner for half price that way. Great steaks too.

I only managed to go to Portland once during my time in Seattle and regret not going more, but it was like the month we moved away. Ate at Tasty and Sons and also the one place where the lady had the food cart and only serves one dish (boiled chicken over rice with some sort of sauce). Good stuff though.

We moved to Atlanta back in November, but didn't get into our apartment until January due to some issues with the gas lines. Were staying at a relative's during that time and even now we haven't gotten to settle in completely due to them still needing to fix a few things, unpacking, etc. We've been eating out for months now and I'm super tired of it. Even after finding some decent non-fast food places, you just sort of get sick of it.

Today we finally made it to this huge farmers market and stocked up on stuff so I am looking forward to cooking. We did stop by a Chinese-Indian place though and it was surprising very good.

SUBWAY will celebrate National Sandwich Day on Tuesday, November 3rd – with a “Buy One, Give One” offer at participating restaurants.

Customers who purchase any 6-inch or Footlong Sub, plus a 30 oz. drink will be able to give another sub of equal or lesser value to someone of their choice. ‘Give One’ to someone you love or someone who needs it. Pay it forward!

$.79 Jr Deluxe Cheeseburgers @ SONIC. Pls mention. Valid 11/4. Tax+add-ons xtra. Lmt 5.

You'll probably have to mention you saw the deal in a text.

I have probably said this before, but Sarku Japan has the best teriyaki chicken around.

The local Ponderosa just announced they are closing in a couple weeks. Apparently the new owner of the lease is booting them and I guess it would just kill the greedy prick to let them stay open until at least after the holidays. I wasn't a huge attendee of it but loved their buffet chicken and ice cream and the steaks weren't bad either from what I had. That's the second one to close in this area in the last 6 years, only have one left that's about the same distance but I hate to see it go all the same as this town is already depressed and every time something closes nothing ever opens in its place. In this case I hope that trend doesn't happen here and the owner has something else lined up as the place always had business as that's a waste to close it without moving someone else in considering it was successful in the first place.

Anyway, I can't go back to regular ice cream. I grabbed a Talenti's gelato the other day and it has spoiled me. :) There goes my chance of trying out Cold Stone, lol.
1390813722475.jpg

1390813665902.jpg

1390813674153.jpg
I still feel that way with Talenti, but also Ciao Bella now. :D

The local Ponderosa just announced they are closing in a couple weeks. Apparently the new owner of the lease is booting them and I guess it would just kill the greedy prick to let them stay open until at least after the holidays. I wasn't a huge attendee of it but loved their buffet chicken and ice cream and the steaks weren't bad either from what I had. That's the second one to close in this area in the last 6 years, only have one left that's about the same distance but I hate to see it go all the same as this town is already depressed and every time something closes nothing ever opens in its place. In this case I hope that trend doesn't happen here and the owner has something else lined up as the place always had business as that's a waste to close it without moving someone else in considering it was successful in the first place.
The family used to go to Ponderosa on Sundays when I was a kid, then other steak restaurants started showing up. Haven't had a Ponderosa within 20 miles of here for about 25 years.

bread's done
Back