CAG Foreplay #16: It's Like Evil Gravity (9/12/07)

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
CAG's shipwreck & mrs. shipwreck preview the new releases for the week of September 11th, 2007. This week we cover over 20 games that are vying to remove the cash from your wallet including Heavenly Sword, skate., and Zoey 101.

You can now subscribe to Foreplay on iTunes by clicking this link: CAG Foreplay on iTunes

You can also contact us with any questions or comments at [email protected] or [email protected].

CAG Foreplay Podcast show notes will be up later today.

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/foreplay/cagforeplay16.mp3[/media] [digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAG_Foreplay[/digg]

The Unmousing Video[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT41ivSVFzc[/media]
Note: We did not realize our camera recorded audio!

Dirt Dev. Codemasters Pub. Codemasters Systems: PS3 MSRP: $59.99
(Deja Preview) Because we don't know British race car drivers, Codemasters decided to drop Colin McRae's name from this rally racing game in favor of giving it an impossibly more unremarkable name. With that endeavor succesfully in their hip pocket, they went to work on making one of the most graphically impressive racers to date. And while it certainly looks pretty, fans of the series might be disappointed to know that this incarnation toes the Project Gotham 3-esque line of simulation and arcade racing. At it's heart, Dirt is still a rally racing game complete with time trials, rally cross, and hill climbs which is great for rally fans, but the lack of true head-to-head multiplayer is certainly a concern. - ship

Best Deal:
Amazon is offering Dirt for $55 shipped.

:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $54.99 (Free shipping)

DK Jungle Climber Dev. Paon Corporation Pub. Nintendo Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
Jungle Climber is the follow-up to GBA's DK King of Swing and it doesn't stray to far from the originals formula. You again use the shoulder buttons to help Donkey Kong swing his way through levels in his quest to collect bananas. This time around they've addressed many of the issues I had with the first game by adding more collectibles, tightening the controls, and using the added real estate that the two screens allows them. Add in four-player mini-games, and you've got yourself an enjoyable, uniquely controlled title. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for DK Jungle Climber.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:ds: Purchase At Family Video $27.99 (99 cent shipping)

Dot.Hack// G.U. Vol. 3: Redemption Dev. CyberConnect2 Pub. Namco Bandai Systems: PS2 MSRP: $39.99
(Rehashed preview)The most prolifically published RPG series on the PS2 pushes it's sixth seventh game out. If you have interest in Massively Multiplayer Online RPG's, but hate online and playing with other humans, then you are probably quite familiar with this series by now. This time around they've added a card battling system some new cards to try and coax out some more basement dwellers, but other than that, this is pretty standard ".hack" fare. So this release only matters to previous fans and the people simply trying to collect all the RPGs that are on the PS2. Oh, and of course the casual shoppers who will instantly be attracted to the accessible name. Just in case you are keeping score at home, that's 18 21 letters, 7 punctuation marks, and 1 number. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Dot.Hack: Redemption.

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)

Drawn to Life Dev. 5th Cell Pub. THQ Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
A never-ending winter has wiped out all the resources of a local village. The hungry villagers need you - the creator - to draw them some help using your trusty DS stylus. This title's unique two mode game-play is promising. Challenge mode offers a traditional side-scrolling adventure game in which you've drawn your character yourself. In village mode, you create plants, animals, fish, clouds, etc... and watch them interact with each other and the NPCs. From the village, you travel through warp points to new areas to play adventure mode. You'll even stumble on unfinished areas that require you to draw in order to finish the world. The game-play concept, while cool, is more kid-oriented and will appeal to a younger DS audience. But, if you're interested in a casual game that's unlike anything you've played before, this is your title. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Drawn to Life.

:ds: Purchase At Family Video $27.94 (99 cent shipping)

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Game of the Year Edition Dev. Bethesda Pub. 2K Games Systems: PC, 360 MSRP: $49.99, $59.99
Now here's a game I can get into previewing! I've been jonesing for some Oblivion lately (I still have a few more hours to go on the Shivering Isles missions). This is one of the best Western real-time RPG games ever. The graphics are awesome, the environment is HUGE and highly interactive. The menu system is great, with easy character upgrades and items menu. But the best thing of all is the plethora of side-quests, caves, dungeons, guilds, and ways to steal stuff. I think I've put more hours into playing Oblivion than I did into planning Ship and I's wedding. I know I'm an Oblivion fan-girl, but chances are many of you are too. So, if you want all the add-on packs (Nights of the Nine and Shivering Isles) in disc form for your 360 or you never had the chance to play them on your PS3, this game is for you! And for only $60, it's cheaper to buy them together than it was to buy the pieces. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
Amazon is offering Oblivion: Game of the Year Edition for $58 shipped.

:360: Purchase At Amazon $57.99 (Free shipping)

Fatal Inertia Dev. Koei Pub. Koei Systems: 360 MSRP: $59.99
I'm sure when Koei set out to name their Wipeout-esque, Star Wars-less pod racing game some smarty-pants toting a Theasaurus decided that "Deadly Speed" just didn't carry the mass appeal to put our game-buying bodies into motion. Sadly, it looks like I'll lose this epic battle of puns versus synonyms as "inertia" is actually derived from the latin word for "apathy". And if my demo playing experience is any indication, Koei's wordplay master was clearly doing his best to hide the true name for this game: "Deadly Disinterest". Touche, Mr. Theasaurus, touche. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Fatla Inertia.

:360: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping)
:360: Purchase At Family Video $57.68 (99 cent shipping)

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Dev. Arc System Works Pub. Aksys Systems: PS2 MSRP: $29.99
Vampires, scantily clad nuns with yo-yos, and guitar-playing stripper witches are back in the umpteenth edition of the over-the-top 2D fighting game. A couple of new fighting mechanics have been added along with two characters that have never been seen on U.S. shores. How they'll stack up to the paper-bag-head-guy and the pirate girl that shoots dolphins at you is unknown. - ship

Best Deal:
Family Video will save you about $1.50 on Guilty Gear XX Accent Core.

:ps2: Purchase At Family Video $27.64 (99 cent shipping)

Heavenly Sword Dev. Ninja Theory Pub. SCEA Systems: PS3 MSRP: $59.99
Wow, this game is nice to look at. And after playing the demo on PSN, it's clear that Nariko (the scantily clad heroine) has some cool attack and counter moves. But, there's not enough demo to really get a feel for the game play. Sure, you've got the Golem rip-off sister character, but what else about the game is going to draw us in? For starters, the combat system is pretty good, using the bumpers in addition to the face buttons give you heavy, range, and normal attacks and counterattacks. That's pretty cool, but the game-play gets stale after awhile. It turns into a button-masher of sorts, with the same enemies in similar rooms, with little variation until you get to the occasional boss fight. All in all, most reviewers are giving this Sony exclusive title decent scores, but the general buzz is that this game is good - but far from great. You'll have to decide if there are better games coming in the next few weeks to spend your $60 on. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
Family Video is offering Heavenly Sword for $51 shipped. Circuit City is offering a $20 gift card if they don't have the game by 2PM Thursday.

:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Family Video $49.97 (99 cent shipping)

Jam Sessions Dev. Plato Pub. Ubi Soft Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
Jam Sessions allows you to compose songs, sing, and play the guitar all while on the crapper. Not recommended for public restrooms... unless you leave a tip jar outside the stall. - ship

Best Deal:
Family Video will save you a couple dollars on Jam Sessions.

:ds: Purchase At Family Video $26.99 (99 cent shipping)

Kengo: Legend of the 9 Dev. Genki Pub. Majesco Systems: 360 MSRP: $39.99
Most of what you need to know about this game is in the title. There are nine samurai. They are based on real samurai from the past, i.e. legends. Therefore, this game has nine samurai legends. While I'm tempted to end this preview here, there's some info not in the title you might need: each samurai has their own storyline and attributes. With four game-play modes (Main, Mission, Head-to-Head, and Xbox Live Leaderboard) and lots of upgradables, spending your $40 on this budget title should keep you moderately entertained. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Kengo: Legend of the 9.

:360: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)
:360: Purchase At Family Video $38.46 (99 cent shipping)
:360: Purchase At Deep Discount $38.99 (Free shipping)

Konami Kids Playground: Frogger Hop, Skip & Jumpin' Fun Bundle Dev. Konami Pub. Konami Systems: PS2 MSRP: $39.99
Konami Kids Playground: Alphabet Circus Dev. Konami Pub. Konami Systems: PS2 MSRP: $19.99
Konami Kids Playground: Dinosaurs, Shapes & Colors Dev. Konami Pub. Konami Systems: PS2 MSRP: $19.99
Konami Kids Playground: Toy Pals Fun with Numbers Dev. Konami Pub. Konami Systems: PS2 MSRP: $19.99
I've heard our demographic skews towards 2-5 year-olds, so if you are reading this and need to brush up on your letters, numbers, shapes, and colors, maybe this Leapfrog type add-on for your PS2 will give you something to mellow out with between sessions of Manhunt and GTA. And unlike those games, you control these games with your feet so there is no need to wash the ever-living stickiness off your hands before playing. In fact, have a Mr. Freeze on me. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for the Konami Kids Playground games.

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)
:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)

NHL 08 Dev. EA Canada Pub. Electronic Arts Systems: PS2, PS3, 360 MSRP: $29.99, 59.99
EA completely revamps their hockey game and critics are rejoicing. Improved adaptive AI, smooth controls, custom play-making, and six player online play almost make me forget that I have no interest in hockey. - ship

Best Deal:
Amazon will save you a couple of dollars on the next gen versions of NHL 08. Circuit City is offering a $20 gift card if they don't have the game by 2PM Wednesday.

:360: Purchase At Amazon $57.99 (Free shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Family Video $27.94 (99 cent shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $57.99 (Free shipping)

NHL 2K8 Dev. Kush Games - Visual Concepts Pub. 2K Sports Systems: PS2, PS3, 360 MSRP: $19.99, $59.99
2K completely revamps their hockey game and critics are less-than-thrilled. Nevertheless, for every Blades of Steel, there must be an NES Ice Hockey. So, the 2K series offers a slightly more arcade approach with a lot more checking and break-away opportunities. Did I mention that I have no interest in hockey? - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for NHL 2K8.

:360: Purchase At Family Video $57.68 (99 cent shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Family Video $57.68 (99 cent shipping)

Pet Luv Spa & Resort Tycoon (aka Puppy Luv Spa and Resort includes Kitty Kare)Dev. Activision Pub. Activision Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
Nope, this isn't a title we made up for laughs. It's a game that someone (who should be punished) came up with all on his/her own that may or may not be released this week. I've previewed some pretty awful games, and you know I don't like to judge a game by it's title. However, I have standards. So, I'm on pet-sim strike. It's your $30. If you feel like spending it, send the game my way and I'll come to your house and beat you with it. -mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Pet Luv.

:ds: Purchase At Family Video $28.84 (99 cent shipping)
:ds: Purchase At Deep Discount $28.99 (Free shipping)

skate. Dev. EA Black Box Pub. Electronic Arts Systems: 360 MSRP: $59.99
Tony Hawk, you finally have a challenger. After all these years, someone has figured out how to make a unique skating game that doesn't try to copy the THPS control scheme... and it's actually good. EA's years of tinkering with dual analog stick control, has brilliantly culminated in a fresh control scheme that actually works giving the user a sense of accomplishment and the game a sense of fluidity. There's definitely room for improvement, but "skate." has set the groundwork for a solid series. - ship

Best Deal:
Family Video is offering "skate." for $55 shipped. Circuit City is offering a $20 gift card if they don't have the game by 2PM Wednesday.

:360: Purchase At Family Video $53.98 (99 cent shipping)

Spelling Challenges and More! Dev. Crave Entertainment Pub. Crave Entertainment Systems: DS MSRP: $19.99
(Deja Preview) I can't spell. I'm seriously awful at it. I mean, the only reason my Foreplay previews come out alright is that I have spellcheck running to tell me that awful only has one "L". This game is just what the title says: spelling and some word games. There's money involved, so you can bet on your spelling skills. Spelling Challenges and More! can be yours for only $20. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't appear to be any specific deals for Spelling Challenges.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)

Zoey 101: Field Trip Fiasco Dev. THQ Pub. THQ Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
Something goes wrong on their field trip to Red Stone Gulch Canyon, and Zoey and her friends must use survival techniques they learned in order to get home. I'm bored now. Let's play the six degrees of Kevin Bacon game. Zoey 101 is played by Jamie Lynn Spears, sister of Britney Spears, America's ever-pregnant pop princess. Britney was in Paulie Shore is Dead with Sherri Shepherd. Sherri Shepherd was in Beauty Shop with Kevin Bacon. I win! Or maybe not. Does just being related count? Hmmmm. Jamie Lynn was in Crossroads with Britney, so now I really do win. Anyway, this title is based on the kid's cable TV show Zoey 101. Watch the show for 30 minutes, and if you're mildly entertained, then this title might be for you! - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Zoey 101.

:ds: Purchase At Family Video $27.94 (99 cent shipping)

On The DL with the Shipwrecks

NES Play Action Football Systems: Wii MSRP: $5
The main reason people were hyped for this game back in the day was that it supported 4-player multiplayer. Now that it's decades later and only a two-player port, there's really no reason to pick this up over the superior Tecmo Bowl. - ship

Neutopia II Systems: Wii MSRP: $6
This sequel to TurboGrafx's Zelda clone, doesn't stray far from the original and adds improved graphics. All in all, a solid title that provides more hours of dungeon exploration and general rip-offery. - ship

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 Systems: Wii MSRP: $8
There's always mixed emotions on these Genesis games that come out for $8 a pop. Sure, Sonic 3 is a good game, but if you don't want a box or instructions, why not throw an extra $10 at used copy of the Sonic Mega Collection Plus/Super Monkey Ball DX?

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Systems: 360 MSRP: $5
It's the superior game, it's cheaper, and they've at least added some features, so it looks slightly more appealing than the Wii's Sonic the Hedgehog 3. It's definitely still part of that Sonic Collection though. - ship

Did we miss a good sale on a game? Did we miss previewing a game completely? Well, the only way that everyone can know a better deal is out there is to let us know about it. Post deals you've found or games that we missed in the thread so that CAGs can make sure they are getting the absolute best prices on new releases.

GGXX intro! btw shippy, we need to play some Puzzle Fighter on Live. i have no clue how to make a 4 player game tho. i don't see the option for it.

[quote name='LiK']GGXX intro! btw shippy, we need to play some Puzzle Fighter on Live. i have no clue how to make a 4 player game tho. i don't see the option for it.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good, I will definitely be playing that this week.

And in generally housekeeping news, I've already received an email about it, but, yes, I misspoke on saying that the previous Dot.Hack series was a trilogy when it of course had 4 games.

Boo at not seeing either of you in the video.

Shppy, I'd love to play some PF with you, I suck at it, but it'd still be fun.

[quote name='masked lemon']Boo at not seeing either of you in the video.

Shppy, I'd love to play some PF with you, I suck at it, but it'd still be fun.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure there will be a time in the future that we'll release a video of some sort that actually has both of us in it.

(No, not that kind of video, pervs.)

NHL 2K8 is more arcade? Are you sure? 2K's hockey games have always been more sim-like and had more depth than EA's.

How many times can they release Sonic 1-3 on a console?
I guess one more never hurt.

GO BENGALS DEFENSE (can't say the same for the offense)
Were you guys at the game?

That mouse is totally starving to death in that grate now... Shipwreck, you were just wrong for scaring it out of the box.

Also, it doesn't look like Oblivion GOTY actually saves any hard drive space for you. The DLC comes on a second disc that has to be installed on your hard-drive, so save your money.

Shipwreck,
You're completely wrong about the NHL games. The 2K series is known for being more realistic than EA's with the EA series leaning more to arcade style play.

Can't wait for Skate to be released over here. Perhaps a bit of a request for European gamers, and those that aren't in the UK; Is there any chance of you mentioning release dates for other regions, just as a sidenote?

It would be nice to know the release date for me from here, rather than to wade through Wikipedia.

[quote name='Bojizzle']How many times can they release Sonic 1-3 on a console?
I guess one more never hurt.[/QUOTE]
Answer: As many times as we will buy it, since it costs next to nothing to port the emulator.

[quote name='radjago']NHL 2K8 is more arcade? Are you sure? 2K's hockey games have always been more sim-like and had more depth than EA's.[/quote]
I thought the same thing when listening to the podcast this morning, but it made me check the reviews on the internet and as Ship said NHL 08 is indeed getting very good reviews while 2K8 is getting very poor reviews. Prevailing opinion is that NHL 08 has improved the realism, while 2k8 implemented some control changes that have really hurt the game.

I will be interested to see if Cheapy has anything to say about the hockey games in the CAGcast this week.

PS thanks Ship and Mrs. Ship for the heads up on the NHL games this week. Glad I listened to this before buying one. Another great show!

EGM editor Bryan Inthar said in the recent EGM podcast that the devs changed the controls for NHL 2k8 and that it felt weird and made the game worse. he loved NHL 08 tho, so i think NHL 2k fans might be disappointed with 2k8 compared to the previous versions.

Guilty Gear is pretty fun...except my friend always beats me with Faust (the guy with the bag on his head) >:O

Btw, the nun with the yoyo is really a little boy >.>

[quote name='ZenGyro']Guilty Gear is pretty fun...except my friend always beats me with Faust (the guy with the bag on his head) >:O

Btw, the nun with the yoyo is really a little boy >.>[/quote]

yea, the nun is a boy. he has a funny backstory too

Shippy how can you not like Hockey? it is fast, physical and very exciting!!! by far my favorite sport, are you a football fan? well hockey is like football but with no breaks and less people. you will like hockey if you watch ovechkin just a little bit.

type "ovechkin" in youtube and you will see

Hey, Ship, do you have a list of your Gamecube collection posted somewhere? I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to scrutinize your taste.

And when exactly do you think the Oblivion GOTY edition will be 30 bucks? The original has been out a year and a half, and they just dropped it because of the new edition

Shipwreck
I’m from Cincinnati too. FYI there is a company in Newport on The Levy where you can go in and rent a 360 and play any game in the store on a 40 inch plasma. You have to sit in the store and play and the prices are outrages. Have you ever been there? If so what do you think about places that offer this?
WHO DEY!!
Cheerios WRATH

[quote name='Cheerios WRATH']Shipwreck
I’m from Cincinnati too. FYI there is a company in Newport on The Levy where you can go in and rent a 360 and play any game in the store on a 40 inch plasma. You have to sit in the store and play and the prices are outrages. Have you ever been there? If so what do you think about places that offer this?
WHO DEY!!
Cheerios WRATH[/quote]

Well, I gotta admit that sounds pretty lame. Sure I'd like to play 360 on a 40" plasma, but I would never pay to do that unless I was paying to own it.

What's this place called?

I must say, for some reason, I just can't get into your show. I think it's more so that I have too many other shows that I've devoted my listening time to before your show came around. Then, when I heard you first say that you were happy about the Monday night game, I was looking for the fastest way to delete my subscription to your podcast lol. Then while doing so, I heard you say that the offensive pass interference call was bullshit, which it completely was. So it may be dumb and not that you care, but I won't be deleting my subscription any time soon and I'm gonna give your show some more time. My best friend is a Pittsburgh fan and we just got into an argument about that call, of course he thinks it was a completely legit call lol. All Steelers fans are assholes though.

Hopefully you'll try to watch anime again. Don't judge it based on crap like Naruto and Sailor Moon. I can give you some good suggestions if you want!

[quote name='kjauburn']Boy did you guys need some burn at the end of the show.[/quote]

Yeah, and we didn't have anything with any sort of caffeine product!

Then, when I heard you first say that you were happy about the Monday night game, I was looking for the fastest way to delete my subscription to your podcast lol. Then while doing so, I heard you say that the offensive pass interference call was bullshit, which it completely was. So it may be dumb and not that you care, but I won't be deleting my subscription any time soon and I'm gonna give your show some more time.

Well, we do care, and since we both love the Bengals, we've been burned by enough bad calls to know 'em when we see 'em! :D

[quote name='meager']Hey, Ship, do you have a list of your Gamecube collection posted somewhere? I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to scrutinize your taste.

And when exactly do you think the Oblivion GOTY edition will be 30 bucks? The original has been out a year and a half, and they just dropped it because of the new edition[/QUOTE]

Here you go, scrutinize away. I've attached pictures from the Gamepedia program where I keep track of my games.

As for when Oblivion GOTY will go down in price, it will probably take awhile to drop universally, but I bet some retailers will start clearing it out early next year.

Actually, what I do like about the podcast is that you guys do cover a lot of games--way more than the main cag podcast, so kudos to you all for that.

[quote name='traslin']That mouse is totally starving to death in that grate now... Shipwreck, you were just wrong for scaring it out of the box.

Also, it doesn't look like Oblivion GOTY actually saves any hard drive space for you. The DLC comes on a second disc that has to be installed on your hard-drive, so save your money.[/QUOTE]

That's awesome news to me. I wanted the expansions running off the HD (anything not disc-based is good on the 360 for noise/reliability reasons). This just installs them, yet I have the disc for future trade-in/sale purposes - that is the best of both worlds!

I had this preordered at Gamecrazy but haven't bothered to pick it up yet. I guess you wholeheartedly recommend it, Mrs. Ship? :lol: (I haven't listened yet, but going on the blurb in the OP I'd say you do). I played Morrowind almost all the way through but haven't played Oblivion yet. I have to admit, the first-person/real-time aspect is a negative to me, but I like the idea of a huge open world (though I hear it is not as wide open as Morrowind) with lots of sidequests. I've waited this long so I'd be inclined to wait for a $30 price on the GotY too. But I guess if I get it, I'll need to play it within the next few months to make it worth it. But first I have to play Blue Dragon (after I finish Metroid Prime 3).

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Hopefully you'll try to watch anime again. Don't judge it based on crap like Naruto and Sailor Moon. I can give you some good suggestions if you want![/quote]Agreed. Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's good.

I'm personally a big fan of .hack//SIGN and Hellsing, and Ghost in the Shell. They're all abstract in a way, but Hellsing is just awesome.

[quote name='shipwreck']Here you go, scrutinize away. I've attached pictures from the Gamepedia program where I keep track of my games.
[/quote]

Not bad, there are some games in there I've never actually seen in person.

I am surprised you don't have F-Zero or 1080 or Pac-Man Vs.

And I'm guessing you have Mega Man Anniversary Collection, SSX3 (best of the series), and Sonic Mega Collection on other consoles?

And where's your Pokemon Channel?!?

Are you going to record/post a podcast early the week of the 25th? I think it'd make sense. If you don't get it out before the 25th, I doubt many people would catch it.

I'm a little bitter about not winning. I guessed 2 first. Whatever though. I have 5600 points anyway, so it's not like I exactly need them.

Heavenly Sword Dev. Ninja Theory Pub. SCEA Systems: PS3 MSRP: $59.99
Wow, this game is nice to look at. And after playing the demo on PSN, it's clear that Nariko (the scantily clad heroine) has some cool attack and counter moves. But, there's not enough demo to really get a feel for the game play. Sure, you've got the Golem rip-off sister character, but what else about the game is going to draw us in? For starters, the combat system is pretty good, using the bumpers in addition to the face buttons give you heavy, range, and normal attacks and counterattacks. That's pretty cool, but the game-play gets stale after awhile. It turns into a button-masher of sorts, with the same enemies in similar rooms, with little variation until you get to the occasional boss fight. All in all, most reviewers are giving this Sony exclusive title decent scores, but the general buzz is that this game is good - but far from great. You'll have to decide if there are better games coming in the next few weeks to spend your $60 on. - mrs. ship
Bumpers? When did 8's become decent scores?

I'm looking forward to getting it from Gamefly. It should be a lot of fun.

I want to get NHL 08 since it sounds like the first great hockey game in nearly ten years (NHL 98 rocked). Though I'd also like to get Dirt since the demo was a lot of fun and I'd like to play more of it.

[quote name='meager']Not bad, there are some games in there I've never actually seen in person.

I am surprised you don't have F-Zero or 1080 or Pac-Man Vs.

And I'm guessing you have Mega Man Anniversary Collection, SSX3 (best of the series), and Sonic Mega Collection on other consoles?

And where's your Pokemon Channel?!?[/QUOTE]

I actually owned all of those games at one point. I couldn't really get into F-Zero, I prefered Amped and SSX to 1080, and I'm not sure why I got rid of Pac-Man Vs. It could have been that I didn't think that it was likely for us to get out the GBA's and the cables to play it. Or I might actually still own that one and it might not have gotten counted since it doesn't have it's own case.

As for that middle tier, yes, I own all of those for the Xbox.

Great show as always. Except that this time I noticed Mrs. Ship was being alot bitchier then normal. Espically at the part when you guys were talking about Heavenly Sword. Ship kept talking about his expirences playing the demo, and mrs. ship just kept barking at him because he didnt finish the whole game. Try to cut back on the bitching, other then that great show!!

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Bumpers? When did 8's become decent scores?

I'm looking forward to getting it from Gamefly. It should be a lot of fun.

I want to get NHL 08 since it sounds like the first great hockey game in nearly ten years (NHL 98 rocked). Though I'd also like to get Dirt since the demo was a lot of fun and I'd like to play more of it.[/QUOTE]

I think I passed the "bumper" terminology on to mrs. ship as I often refer to shoulder buttons on controllers as "bumpers".

As for 8's being decent scores, I think it's somewhat relative to all the hype the game got prior to release. When a game is talked about so much and then gets scores similar to Stranglehold, Medal of Honor: Airborne, Blue Dragon (also hyped), Stuntman Ignition, etc., the 8 leans more towards being a decent score in the crowded fall lineup. I don't think she meant decent in that negative of a way though, as she said in the next sentence that it's a good game.

I'm also looking forward to playing through Heavenly Sword, but like you, I'm going to rent it.

[quote name='InuFaye']Great show as always. Except that this time I noticed Mrs. Ship was being alot bitchier then normal. Espically at the part when you guys were talking about Heavenly Sword. Ship kept talking about his expirences playing the demo, and mrs. ship just kept barking at him because he didnt finish the whole game. Try to cut back on the bitching, other then that great show!![/quote]

That's not bitching you hear, it's the sound of utter exhaustion! :D

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Hopefully you'll try to watch anime again. Don't judge it based on crap like Naruto and Sailor Moon. I can give you some good suggestions if you want![/quote]

Naruto ain't that bad, dude. i recommended that shipwreck check it out cuz they did a review for the Naruto game but they had no clue what it was about. i can easily recommend a ton of other stuff for him to check out like stuff from Studio Ghibli, GONZO and other studios.

[quote name='LiK']Naruto ain't that bad, dude. i recommended that shipwreck check it out cuz they did a review for the Naruto game but they had no clue what it was about. i can easily recommend a ton of other stuff for him to check out like stuff from Studio Ghibli, GONZO and other studios.[/quote]

It's hard to get into anime when alot of it is so goofy, like Naruto and DBZ.
Try watching something serious like Monster or Death Note. They have the same quality as an American TV drama.

If you want something dubbed, Cowboy Bebop is always good, or the Samurai X OVAs.

[quote name='Bojizzle']It's hard to get into anime when alot of it is so goofy, like Naruto and DBZ.
Try watching something serious like Monster or Death Note. They have the same quality as an American TV drama.

If you want something dubbed, Cowboy Bebop is always good, or the Samurai X OVAs.[/quote]

Naruto starts off pretty goofy but it gets fairly serious later on in the series with a lot of deaths and twists, it's nothing like DBZ. i didn't like the show until episode 20 because i have friends who said it gets good later on so i gave it a chance. the manga is way better because the anime has a lot of filler episodes which suck. they aimed the series towards kids but adults can enjoy it too. i'm glad shipwreck gave it a chance tho.

i've watched plenty of serious anime like FMA, Gantz, GitS: SAC etc but that doesn't mean i restrict myself to only "serious or mature" anime. to each their own.

[quote name='shipwreck']I think I passed the "bumper" terminology on to mrs. ship as I often refer to shoulder buttons on controllers as "bumpers".

As for 8's being decent scores, I think it's somewhat relative to all the hype the game got prior to release. When a game is talked about so much and then gets scores similar to Stranglehold, Medal of Honor: Airborne, Blue Dragon (also hyped), Stuntman Ignition, etc., the 8 leans more towards being a decent score in the crowded fall lineup. I don't think she meant decent in that negative of a way though, as she said in the next sentence that it's a good game.

I'm also looking forward to playing through Heavenly Sword, but like you, I'm going to rent it.[/quote]
The only thing is that the only common negative I've seen mentioned is that it's too short, which is why I will be renting it. I haven't seen gameplay variety being mentioned since it supposedly well-paced between the types of levels and boss fights that it's not much of a concern.

Compared to the other games you mentioned, Heavenly Sword's pretty much getting the scored the same across the board while the others are quite varied across the scale.

Great show, guys!

One thing on the Oblivion GOTY edition...Wombat has said in the CAGCast
that he's going to get it for the PS3. I think he said it looked a little
better or something on the PS3 than the 360. I'm waiting to get it for the
PS3, too, but that's mostly so I have more to play on my PS3. ;)

/tk

Great show, guys!

One thing on the Oblivion GOTY edition...Wombat has said in the CAGCast
that he's going to get it for the PS3. I think he said it looked a little
better or something on the PS3 than the 360. I'm waiting to get it for the
PS3, too, but that's mostly so I have more to play on my PS3. ;)

/tk

ALL anime? I mean, I can't stand most of it myself, but I adore Miyazaki. Or is Miyazaki considered a separate case?

Mrs. Ship: No more recording while half asleep. I could sense your head almost hitting the table.

God of War for the Xbox? Good lord, woman!

[quote name='CheapyD']Don't see it on itunes yet...[/QUOTE]

Probably still creeping across the tubes. It's a big one.

bread's done
Back