CAG Foreplay #26: 45 Seconds Later (12/12/07)

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
CAG's shipwreck & mrs. shipwreck preview the new releases for the week of December 12th, 2007. This week we cover... well... let's be honest, these aren't the games you are looking for. Well, maybe you are shopping for a small child, or possibly have a vendetta that needs settling, or simply enjoy a good kick to the groin. If that's the case, we've got plenty to talk about. Wait... isn't that what I said last week? Also Unreal Tournament III.

You can now subscribe to Foreplay on iTunes by clicking this link: CAG Foreplay on iTunes

You can also contact us with any questions or comments at [email protected] or [email protected].

CAG Foreplay Podcast show notes will be up later today. (Who am I kidding?)

Special thanks to www.GoDaddy.com for providing CAG Foreplay listeners with a code for 10% off any purchase. Just enter code "CAG" when you check out to get your savings.

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/foreplay/cagforeplay26.mp3[/media] [digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAG_Foreplay[/digg]

Multi-Platform

Madden NFL 08 en Espanol Dev. Electronic Arts Pub. Electronic Arts Systems: PS2, 360 MSRP: $29.99, $59.99
For the ESPN Deportes crowd. It apparently took them four months to teach Madden how to say "Boom!" in Spanish.
(Deja Preview) It's that time of year again. Time to suit up your favorite parolees and probationers in the hopes of getting 16 weeks of good behavior out of them. This year's next gen versions actually seem to have added back in a lot of the features that have been gimped in the past such as a fantasy draft and owner mode. They've also added a weapon system to this year's game because they couldn't possibly think of a more aptly named feature. Maybe they'll add some DUI mini games next year. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Madden NFL 08 en Espanol.

:360: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping)
:360: Purchase At Deep Discount $58.99 (Free shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $29.95 (Free shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Family Video $27.94 (99 cent shipping)

NCAA March Madness 08 Dev. Electronic Arts Pub. Electronic Arts Systems: PS2, PS3, 360 MSRP: $29.99, $49.99
Something is weird here. So EA is releasing a 4 month old football game for full price, but they are releasing the latest March Madness for $10 below the standard current gen price tag? Well, I guess that's good news for hoops fans at least. I haven't actually played a March Madness in years, but they still seem to be touting the same list of improvements that I remember being bullet points back then: improved post game, improved animations, and improved passing. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for NCAA March Madness 08.

:360: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)

PS3

Blacksite: Area 51 Dev. Midway Austin Pub. Midway Systems: PS3 MSRP: $59.99
The first-person shooter so good even the lead designer called it crap. - ship

Best Deal:
Family Video is offering Blacksite: Area 51 for $56 shipped.

:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Family Video $54.99 (99 cent shipping)

The Orange Box Dev. Valve Software Pub. Electronic Arts Systems: PS3 MSRP: $59.99
Playstation 3 only owners finally get to experience all The Orange Box has to offer.
(Deja Preview) Gordon Freeman is back and is trying once again to make an impact on the console scene. Although the original Xbox's Half-Life 2 was passable, the unsteady frame rate really hampered console gamers from seeing what all the hubbub was about for a game that is held up among the PC's elite. Well, with this gen's powerful hardware and a little more care put into the port, Half-Life finally seems like it's ready to make some waves in the living room in a serious way. Not only did they include the original Half-Life 2 and its cleverly named episodic expansions (Episode 1 & Episode 2), but there's an all-new first-person adventure game with puzzle elements called "Portal" and the beautifully comic-looking squad-based shooter "Team Fortress 2". There's entirely too much content to talk about in the course of a paragraph and it's clear that Valve and EA want to position this as a viable franchise in the console market. - ship

Best Deal:
Family Video is offering The Orange Box for $57 shipped.

:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $57.99 (Free shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Family Video $55.99 (99 cent shipping)

Unreal Tournament III Dev. Epic Games Pub. Midway Systems: PS3 MSRP: $59.99
Well, after a lot of research I’ve come to the conclusion that Unreal Tournament III is an awfully lot like the past Unreal Tournaments. That’s not to say it’s a bad thing, it’s a good thing actually, but it makes for a boring preview. Sure, they’ve added hoverboards for quick getaways and the requisite new levels, new vehicles, and better graphics, but the tried and true twitch formula of blasting someone in the head with a flak cannon remains as fun and familiar as ever. The true potential for this game to succeed in a sea of first-person shooters lies in the mod scene that gives players the opportunity to create and customize at a level we’ve never before seen in a console game. Should make for some fun fragging. - ship

Best Deal:
There don’t seem to be any specific deals for Unreal Tournament III.

:ps3: Purchase At Deep Discount $58.99 (Free shipping)

DS

Luxor: Pharaoh's Challenge Dev. Mumbo Jumbo Pub. Mumbo Jumbo Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
(Deja Preview) This game plays very similar to Zuma, so get ready to shoot lots of marbles. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Luxor: Pharaoh's Challenge

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:ds: Purchase At Deep Discount $28.99 (Free shipping)

PS2

Dai Senryaku Exceed VII Dev. System Soft Alpha Pub. Valcon Systems: PS2 MSRP: $14.99
Here’s a hex-based military strategy game that is probably way too difficult for me to explain… or pronounce. For followers of the series, I do know that there are over 100 maps plus a built-in map creator and that it sticks to the same type of turn-based gameplay that you’d find in the past titles. If old-school, grid-based board games are your cup of tea, you’ll easily get $15 worth of enjoyment out of Dai Senryaku and you won’t have to worry about losing all those little pieces of cardboard with numbers on them. - ship

Best Deal:
There don’t seem to be any specific deals for Dai Senryaku Exceed VII.

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $14.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)
:ps2: Purchase At Deep Discount $13.99 (Free shipping)

NeoGeo Battle Coliseum Dev. SNK Playmore Pub. SNK Playmore Systems: PS2 MSRP: $19.99
A smorgasborg of characters from NeoGeo/SNK are mashed together in this bargain-priced 2D fighter. Form a team of two from 40 of your favorite characters from all those other recently released anthologies that are now “Cool Price” staples. Be that dude from Art of Fighting, or that Samurai from Samurai Showdown, or even that girl from Metal Slug. (Yeah, I’m not on a first name basis with many of these characters.) This does look to be a pretty fun fighting game for $15 though, and with the included character editor, you can finally see what that one guy would look like if you totally made his hat blue. Go wild. - ship

Best Deal:
There don’t seem to be any specific deals for NeoGeo Battle Coliseum.

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)

Wii

Indianapolis 500 Legends Dev. Torus Games Pub. Destineer Systems: Wii MSRP: $39.99
Race as all your favorite Indy 500 drivers… as long as they raced between the years of 1961 and 1971. How did EA miss out on the exclusive rights to this? Built-in motion controlled pit-stop mini-games kindly remind you that this is indeed a Wii game and objectives from the actual races help to break up the excitement of racing around the same track for the whole damn game. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Indianapolis 500 Legends.

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)

Kawasaki Quad Bikes Dev. Destineer Pub. Destineer Systems: Wii MSRP: $19.99
ATV racing games: the landlocked sisters of jet ski racing games that simply refuse to admit it’s over. This one is packed with four times the budget Wii title goodness that we’ve all quickly learned to relish. (This might also be called Kawasaki 4x4 Quad Bikes… which would, of course, add incalculably more goodness and infinitely more redundancy.) - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Kawasaki Quad Bikes.

:wii: Purchase At EB Games $19.99

Kidz Sports: Basketball Dev. Destineer Pub. Destineer Systems: Wii MSRP: $19.99
Would it offend anyone if I just refused to acknowledge all games in which the title replaced an "s" with a "z"? Maybe I should do some market research on the idea. Hmmmm. Anyway, this game is probably not coming out this week, as there isn't any information on it. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Kidz Sports: Basketball.

M&M's Kart Racing Dev. Frontline Studios Pub. Destination Software Systems: Wii MSRP: $29.99
Some things fit naturally with M & M's: trail mix, ice cream, trips to the movie theater. But arcade style racing on the Wii? This title features collectable items and comical one-liners, but there isn't much more information available. My guess is, there will be some questionable controls. Just remember, for $30, you could have 30 bags of peanut M & M's. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for M&M's Kart Racing.

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Family Video $27.64 (99 cent shipping)

Myth Makers: Orbs of Doom Dev. Data Design Interactive Pub. Destineer Systems: Wii MSRP: $19.99
This action-puzzle game features a villian by the name of Sinster Rebus. No I didn't leave out the second "i" in sinister. His name is Sinster. Or, they couldn't afford to have anyone proof read the game description so they just went with it. The guy on the cover looks like the genetic compilation of Hong Kong Phooey and Prince John from Disney's Robin Hood. Whatever. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Myth Makers: Orbs of Doom.

Rig Racer 2 Dev. Destineer Pub. Destineer Systems: Wii MSRP: $19.99
Somewhere along the line, someone decided that racing semi-trucks made for a compelling video game experience. Later, along that same line, someone decided that it would be an excellent idea to port all these old PC budget titles to the Wii. It is unknown whether these two pioneers of the video game industry are one in the same, but it is clear that they have an unrelenting hatred for us all. And no, I have know idea if they incorporated motion-controlled horn tooting, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Rig Racer 2.

Showtime Championship Boxing Dev. Nikitova Pub. Destination Software Systems: Wii MSRP: $29.99
Take it from the press release: "Knockout" cutting edge technology takes "the sweet science" off the canvas and raises the Championship Belt on video game pugilism. Yep, you know this one is going to be something special. In the blue corner, we have the challenger, "The Wild Flailer". And in the red corner, the defending champion of the living room, "The Mean Waggler". Whose on-screen character will react most favorably to the herking and jerking of Wii-motes and Nunchuks? Only time, luck, and a good deal of frustration will determine our winner. Assuming there is one. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Showtime Championship Boxing.
:wii: Purchase At Deep Discount $28.99 (Free shipping)

Super Swing Golf Season 2 Dev. Tecmo Pub. Tecmo Systems: Wii MSRP: $39.99
Play golf with these anime-inspired characters using your Wii-mote. It's a pretty self-explanatory release, especially if you played the original that was released around launch time. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Super Swing Golf Season 2.

:wii: Purchase At Family Video $38.46 (99 cent shipping)

Winter Sports: The Ultimate Challenge Dev. 49 Games Pub. Conspiracy Systems: Wii MSRP: $29.99
The description of this game doesn't even list all the sports that are available. Find this one on the shelf and your local brick and mortar and look at the cover, that should fulfill your need for winter sports games. I'm not even sure this title is being released this week, so stayed tuned for the deja-preview. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Winter Sports: The Ultimate Challenge.

On The DL with the Shipwrecks

Baseball Stars 2 Systems: Wii MSRP: $9
Baseball Stars 2 is an excellent NeoGeo arcade style game that I have unfortunately only played a couple of times in my life. Expect lots of beautiful animations (for their time) and extremely fast gameplay. Don’t expect the create-a-team and management responsibilities that were added to the NES ports. - ship

Ghosts 'n Goblins Systems: Wii MSRP: $5
The frustratingly difficult NES classic arrives on the Virtual Console so you can bring death to the undead and Classic Controllers alike. The rubber Wiimote jackets were obviously issued in preparation of Ghosts ‘n Goblins and the subsequent enraged compulsions to damage basement drywall across the nation. So yeah, it’s still fun after all these years. - ship

Pokemon Snap Systems: Wii MSRP: $10
This N64 game comes straight to the Wii, in all it's cinematographic glory. Game-play revolves around taking pictures of Pokemon in different environments to earn points. Only 63 of the original Pokemon are in the game, which may pose a slight disappointment to hard-core fans. For $10, it should be a good piece of nostalgia. - mrs. ship

Arkadian Warriors Systems: 360 MSRP: $10
An original action-RPG in the mold of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath. This genre has really taken a dive lately, so we're hoping to find a good co-op experience when we give this demo a go. - ship

GripShift Systems: 360 MSRP: $10
First a PSP game, then a PSN game, this racing/platforming game has now found another home on XBLA. A lot of CAGs have enjoyed this game in its previous incarnations and it packs quite a value with well over a hundred levels. I'm looking forward to at least giving the demo on this one a spin. - ship

Did we miss a good sale on a game? Did we miss previewing a game completely? Well, the only way that everyone can know a better deal is out there is to let us know about it. Post deals you've found or games that we missed in the thread so that CAGs can make sure they are getting the absolute best prices on new releases.

bahahahhahahaa, great show! I love the new attitude towards lame games! Pretty soon this show will pass the CAG cast. I love this show because it's awesome and good for everyone. There really isn't any swearing, no lame poop jokes, no stories about happy endings in the shower or whatever, it's just games and ripping lame games. :)

Please dont have the intro music coming from just from another speaker again..pissed me off

great podcast as always, im glad to see there are Assassin's Creed lovers out there.
and i thought the exact same thing when i started playing it, it reminded me of Spider-Man 2, where i could have loads of fun just swinging around the city.

That's Luis Castillo on the cover of Madden en enspanol. Funny, during the podcast I figured it *had* to be Tony Gonzalez, and you were wrong about the team.

BTW Antonio Gates is not hispanic. ;)

[quote name='ma']That's Luis Castillo on the cover of Madden en enspanol. Funny, during the podcast I figured it *had* to be Tony Gonzalez, and you were wrong about the team.

BTW Antonio Gates is not hispanic. ;)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clearing that up. I actually just noticed that the cover was different right before we started recording and I have to admit that I didn't really know who Luis Castillo was. I probably just assumed they were talking about the baseball player whenever I heard the name.

No mention of Soldner-X? Soooo disappointed. : P

And... downgrade your encryption from WPA to WEP. That should work. o.o

Speaking of game collections... do you have your collection listed somewhere? I'm curious to see what your gamecube collection is like since you said a couple of shows back you had all your top choices.

Good show. Just to come to the defense of the Dinotopia franchise a bit...The original books are BEAUTIFUL and cool. James Gurney, the painter behind them, is very talented. You should check them out if you have a chance:

http://www.dinotopia.com/

Unfortunately, those books were adulterated into a couple of terrible TV miniseries and apparently a videogame cash-in as well. Sad. I could actually see the Dinotopia universe working extremely well as a point and click type adventure game.

[quote name='encendido5']Speaking of game collections... do you have your collection listed somewhere? I'm curious to see what your gamecube collection is like since you said a couple of shows back you had all your top choices.[/QUOTE]

A somewhat out of date version of my collection is at www.shipwreckedgamer.com. Please ignore the overlapping google ads and any descriptions or comments about the games (those are just pulled from Amazon).

haha, my fave moment on the show:

shippy: "how do you spell 'kids'?"
mrs. shipwreck: "kids with a Z..."
shippy: "excellent...mehehehe"

XD

From Amazon:
"Alvaro Martín, the first Spanish-language play-by-play broadcaster for ABC Sports' Monday Night Football, is featured as the broadcast voice of Madden NFL 08 en Español."

Can you really call it "Madden NFL?"

The prospect of User Created Content in Unreal Tournament 3 is really, really interesting. In the years between the NES and the GameCube I played computer games exclusively. Many of my favorite gaming memories of this time were playing FPSes with user created maps and mods. To this day I play "H2H's X-Mas Doom" every year around this time. I've even moved it off to my XBOX and handhelds.

Of course the ease of playing games against people on XBOX Live is one of the things that makes it much nicer than playing on a computer, but I would pick up a game on that system that allowed user created content like this in a heartbeat.

Does any know if the North American version fixed the loading issues that found in the Japanese version of Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum?

Just a quick update on this week's show, the write-up is done, but this is mrs. shipwreck's week on call, so it's always tricky to find a time to record. Fortunately, this will be the last week we have to worry about that as her clinic is changing the schedule next year so that she won't be on call for an entire week at a time.

We unfortunately won't be able to record tonight as I'm going to the Memphis/Cincinnati basketball game, so I think we'll just combine this week's releases and whatever comes out next week into one Holiday Extravaganza episode that will be out sometime in the next few days.

In the meantime, here's a picture to make all your holiday's bright... or something.

2121929443_2bdde1ef3a.jpg

And we now have a flickr page that only contains that photo for the moment: http://flickr.com/photos/21991223@N07/

[quote name='SmellsLikeRandyMossGuy']If you lay your 360 in the normal way and put coasters under the front two sides, you would never have that problem.[/QUOTE]

I've had it since before launch, I think it's safe to say at this point that no matter what you do, the early Xbox 360's are going to eventually fail.

[quote name='shipwreck']

2121929443_2bdde1ef3a.jpg

[/quote]

Is it wrong that I'm sitting here bummed about how clean and nice that A/V Setup looks? I spent almost 8 hours attempting to make my "rack" look clean and my results are no where near as nice as yours.

...oh, and sorry to hear abou the red rings (which I didn't wouldn't have even noticed if it hadn't been pointed out) ...

[quote name='shipwreck']CAG's shipwreck & mrs. shipwreck preview the new releases for the week of December 12th, 2007. This week we cover... well... let's be honest, these aren't the games you are looking for. Well, maybe you are shopping for a small child, or possibly have a vendetta that needs settling, or simply enjoy a good kick to the groin. If that's the case, we've got plenty to talk about. Wait... isn't that what I said last week? Also Unreal Tournament III.

You can now subscribe to Foreplay on iTunes by clicking this link: CAG Foreplay on iTunes

You can also contact us with any questions or comments at [email protected] or [email protected].

CAG Foreplay Podcast show notes will be up later today. (Who am I kidding?)

Special thanks to www.GoDaddy.com for providing CAG Foreplay listeners with a code for 10% off any purchase. Just enter code "CAG" when you check out to get your savings.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/foreplay/cagforeplay26.mp3 [digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAG_Foreplay[/digg]

Multi-Platform

Madden NFL 08 en Espanol Dev. Electronic Arts Pub. Electronic Arts Systems: PS2, 360 MSRP: $29.99, $59.99
For the ESPN Deportes crowd. It apparently took them four months to teach Madden how to say "Boom!" in Spanish.
(Deja Preview) It's that time of year again. Time to suit up your favorite parolees and probationers in the hopes of getting 16 weeks of good behavior out of them. This year's next gen versions actually seem to have added back in a lot of the features that have been gimped in the past such as a fantasy draft and owner mode. They've also added a weapon system to this year's game because they couldn't possibly think of a more aptly named feature. Maybe they'll add some DUI mini games next year. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Madden NFL 08 en Espanol.

:360: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping)
:360: Purchase At Deep Discount $58.99 (Free shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $29.95 (Free shipping)

NCAA March Madness 08 Dev. Electronic Arts Pub. Electronic Arts Systems: PS2, PS3, 360 MSRP: $29.99, $49.99
Something is weird here. So EA is releasing a 4 month old football game for full price, but they are releasing the latest March Madness for $10 below the standard current gen price tag? Well, I guess that's good news for hoops fans at least. I haven't actually played a March Madness in years, but they still seem to be touting the same list of improvements that I remember being bullet points back then: improved post game, improved animations, and improved passing. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for NCAA March Madness 08.

:360: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)

PS3

Blacksite: Area 51 Dev. Midway Austin Pub. Midway Systems: PS3 MSRP: $59.99
The first-person shooter so good even the lead designer called it crap. - ship

Best Deal:
Family Video is offering Blacksite: Area 51 for $56 shipped.

:ps3: Purchase At Family Video $54.99 (99 cent shipping)

The Orange Box Dev. Valve Software Pub. Electronic Arts Systems: PS3 MSRP: $59.99
Playstation 3 only owners finally get to experience all The Orange Box has to offer.
(Deja Preview) Gordon Freeman is back and is trying once again to make an impact on the console scene. Although the original Xbox's Half-Life 2 was passable, the unsteady frame rate really hampered console gamers from seeing what all the hubbub was about for a game that is held up among the PC's elite. Well, with this gen's powerful hardware and a little more care put into the port, Half-Life finally seems like it's ready to make some waves in the living room in a serious way. Not only did they include the original Half-Life 2 and its cleverly named episodic expansions (Episode 1 & Episode 2), but there's an all-new first-person adventure game with puzzle elements called "Portal" and the beautifully comic-looking squad-based shooter "Team Fortress 2". There's entirely too much content to talk about in the course of a paragraph and it's clear that Valve and EA want to position this as a viable franchise in the console market. - ship

Best Deal:
Family Video is offering The Orange Box for $57 shipped.

:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $57.99 (Free shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Family Video $55.99 (99 cent shipping)

Unreal Tournament III Dev. Epic Games Pub. Midway Systems: PS3 MSRP: $59.99
Well, after a lot of research I’ve come to the conclusion that Unreal Tournament III is an awfully lot like the past Unreal Tournaments. That’s not to say it’s a bad thing, it’s a good thing actually, but it makes for a boring preview. Sure, they’ve added hoverboards for quick getaways and the requisite new levels, new vehicles, and better graphics, but the tried and true twitch formula of blasting someone in the head with a flak cannon remains as fun and familiar as ever. The true potential for this game to succeed in a sea of first-person shooters lies in the mod scene that gives players the opportunity to create and customize at a level we’ve never before seen in a console game. Should make for some fun fragging. - ship

Best Deal:
There don’t seem to be any specific deals for Unreal Tournament III.

:ps3: Purchase At Deep Discount $58.99 (Free shipping)

DS

Luxor: Pharaoh's Challenge Dev. Mumbo Jumbo Pub. Mumbo Jumbo Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
(Deja Preview) This game plays very similar to Zuma, so get ready to shoot lots of marbles. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Luxor: Pharaoh's Challenge

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:ds: Purchase At Deep Discount $28.99 (Free shipping)

PS2

Dai Senryaku Exceed VII Dev. System Soft Alpha Pub. Valcon Systems: PS2 MSRP: $14.99
Here’s a hex-based military strategy game that is probably way too difficult for me to explain… or pronounce. For followers of the series, I do know that there are over 100 maps plus a built-in map creator and that it sticks to the same type of turn-based gameplay that you’d find in the past titles. If old-school, grid-based board games are your cup of tea, you’ll easily get $15 worth of enjoyment out of Dai Senryaku and you won’t have to worry about losing all those little pieces of cardboard with numbers on them. - ship

Best Deal:
There don’t seem to be any specific deals for Dai Senryaku Exceed VII.

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $14.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)

NeoGeo Battle Coliseum Dev. SNK Playmore Pub. SNK Playmore Systems: PS2 MSRP: $19.99
A smorgasborg of characters from NeoGeo/SNK are mashed together in this bargain-priced 2D fighter. Form a team of two from 40 of your favorite characters from all those other recently released anthologies that are now “Cool Price” staples. Be that dude from Art of Fighting, or that Samurai from Samurai Showdown, or even that girl from Metal Slug. (Yeah, I’m not on a first name basis with many of these characters.) This does look to be a pretty fun fighting game for $15 though, and with the included character editor, you can finally see what that one guy would look like if you totally made his hat blue. Go wild. - ship

Best Deal:
There don’t seem to be any specific deals for NeoGeo Battle Coliseum.

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)

Wii

Indianapolis 500 Legends Dev. Torus Games Pub. Destineer Systems: Wii MSRP: $39.99
Race as all your favorite Indy 500 drivers… as long as they raced between the years of 1961 and 1971. How did EA miss out on the exclusive rights to this? Built-in motion controlled pit-stop mini-games kindly remind you that this is indeed a Wii game and objectives from the actual races help to break up the excitement of racing around the same track for the whole damn game. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Indianapolis 500 Legends.

Kawasaki Quad Bikes Dev. Destineer Pub. Destineer Systems: Wii MSRP: $19.99
ATV racing games: the landlocked sisters of jet ski racing games that simply refuse to admit it’s over. This one is packed with four times the budget Wii title goodness that we’ve all quickly learned to relish. (This might also be called Kawasaki 4x4 Quad Bikes… which would, of course, add incalculably more goodness and infinitely more redundancy.) - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Kawasaki Quad Bikes.

Kidz Sports: Basketball Dev. Destineer Pub. Destineer Systems: Wii MSRP: $19.99
Would it offend anyone if I just refused to acknowledge all games in which the title replaced an "s" with a "z"? Maybe I should do some market research on the idea. Hmmmm. Anyway, this game is probably not coming out this week, as there isn't any information on it. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Kidz Sports: Basketball.

M&M's Kart Racing Dev. Frontline Studios Pub. Destination Software Systems: Wii MSRP: $29.99
Some things fit naturally with M & M's: trail mix, ice cream, trips to the movie theater. But arcade style racing on the Wii? This title features collectable items and comical one-liners, but there isn't much more information available. My guess is, there will be some questionable controls. Just remember, for $30, you could have 30 bags of peanut M & M's. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for M&M's Kart Racing.

:wii: Purchase At Family Video $27.64 (99 cent shipping)

Myth Makers: Orbs of Doom Dev. Data Design Interactive Pub. Destineer Systems: Wii MSRP: $19.99
This action-puzzle game features a villian by the name of Sinster Rebus. No I didn't leave out the second "i" in sinister. His name is Sinster. Or, they couldn't afford to have anyone proof read the game description so they just went with it. The guy on the cover looks like the genetic compilation of Hong Kong Phooey and Prince John from Disney's Robin Hood. Whatever. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Myth Makers: Orbs of Doom.

Rig Racer 2 Dev. Destineer Pub. Destineer Systems: Wii MSRP: $19.99
Somewhere along the line, someone decided that racing semi-trucks made for a compelling video game experience. Later, along that same line, someone decided that it would be an excellent idea to port all these old PC budget titles to the Wii. It is unknown whether these two pioneers of the video game industry are one in the same, but it is clear that they have an unrelenting hatred for us all. And no, I have know idea if they incorporated motion-controlled horn tooting, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Rig Racer 2.

Showtime Championship Boxing Dev. Nikitova Pub. Destination Software Systems: Wii MSRP: $29.99
Take it from the press release: "Knockout" cutting edge technology takes "the sweet science" off the canvas and raises the Championship Belt on video game pugilism. Yep, you know this one is going to be something special. In the blue corner, we have the challenger, "The Wild Flailer". And in the red corner, the defending champion of the living room, "The Mean Waggler". Whose on-screen character will react most favorably to the herking and jerking of Wii-motes and Nunchuks? Only time, luck, and a good deal of frustration will determine our winner. Assuming there is one. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Showtime Championship Boxing.
:wii: Purchase At Deep Discount $28.99 (Free shipping)

Super Swing Golf Season 2 Dev. Tecmo Pub. Tecmo Systems: Wii MSRP: $39.99
Play golf with these anime-inspired characters using your Wii-mote. It's a pretty self-explanatory release, especially if you played the original that was released around launch time. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Super Swing Golf Season 2.

:wii: Purchase At Family Video $38.46 (99 cent shipping)

Winter Sports: The Ultimate Challenge Dev. 49 Games Pub. Conspiracy Systems: Wii MSRP: $29.99
The description of this game doesn't even list all the sports that are available. Find this one on the shelf and your local brick and mortar and look at the cover, that should fulfill your need for winter sports games. I'm not even sure this title is being released this week, so stayed tuned for the deja-preview. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Winter Sports: The Ultimate Challenge.

On The DL with the Shipwrecks

Baseball Stars 2 Systems: Wii MSRP: $9
Baseball Stars 2 is an excellent NeoGeo arcade style game that I have unfortunately only played a couple of times in my life. Expect lots of beautiful animations (for their time) and extremely fast gameplay. Don’t expect the create-a-team and management responsibilities that were added to the NES ports. - ship

Ghosts 'n Goblins Systems: Wii MSRP: $5
The frustratingly difficult NES classic arrives on the Virtual Console so you can bring death to the undead and Classic Controllers alike. The rubber Wiimote jackets were obviously issued in preparation of Ghosts ‘n Goblins and the subsequent enraged compulsions to damage basement drywall across the nation. So yeah, it’s still fun after all these years. - ship

Pokemon Snap Systems: Wii MSRP: $10
This N64 game comes straight to the Wii, in all it's cinematographic glory. Game-play revolves around taking pictures of Pokemon in different environments to earn points. Only 63 of the original Pokemon are in the game, which may pose a slight disappointment to hard-core fans. For $10, it should be a good piece of nostalgia. - mrs. ship

Arkadian Warriors Systems: 360 MSRP: $10
An original action-RPG in the mold of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath. This genre has really taken a dive lately, so we're hoping to find a good co-op experience when we give this demo a go. - ship

GripShift Systems: 360 MSRP: $10
First a PSP game, then a PSN game, this racing/platforming game has now found another home on XBLA. A lot of CAGs have enjoyed this game in its previous incarnations and it packs quite a value with well over a hundred levels. I'm looking forward to at least giving the demo on this one a spin. - ship

Did we miss a good sale on a game? Did we miss previewing a game completely? Well, the only way that everyone can know a better deal is out there is to let us know about it. Post deals you've found or games that we missed in the thread so that CAGs can make sure they are getting the absolute best prices on new releases.[/quote] ship please put some god damn spoilers on this post and all of them jeeze it so inoying to have to scroll and scroll for ever

[quote name='shipwreck']I've had it since before launch, I think it's safe to say at this point that no matter what you do, the early Xbox 360's are going to eventually fail.[/quote]

my 360 was from the 2nd major shipments after launch and i haven't red ringed or anything like that. i've always had my 360 on the horizontal position and i have my power brick in a location away from the carpet and on a solid surface to dissipate heat. i'm still using the same one i first bought, knock on wood.

i know plenty of guys who red ringed and they told me they had it in the vertical position. it may not seem like it, but the vertical position is one of the offenders to the RRoD, imo. all the heat is essentially flowing right into the hard drive in that position. i also think the location of the power brick is another reason aside from just having a defective 360. if you have it on the carpet then heat builds up in it.

anyways, sorry to see the red, i didn't notice it at first when i saw your pic, hehe. your hair is much redder. :p

[quote name='tigerthecat']to bad you have red ringed there i think thats right p.s. is that u in the picture?[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's me in the picture. I know... I need a beard.

And I'm not quite sure that we need spoiler tags on the preview section as that's 50% of the reason we do CAG Foreplay. I'll consider it though and see how we can better organize everything.

[quote name='shipwreck']Yes, that's me in the picture. I know... I need a beard.

And I'm not quite sure that we need spoiler tags on the preview section as that's 50% of the reason we do CAG Foreplay. I'll consider it though and see how we can better organize everything.[/quote]

ok cool dude sorry i just hate having to scroll and scroll and fricking scroll p.s. even though u dont have a beard you and your wife are prety damn cool

[quote name='shipwreck']Yes, that's me in the picture. I know... I need a beard.

And I'm not quite sure that we need spoiler tags on the preview section as that's 50% of the reason we do CAG Foreplay. I'll consider it though and see how we can better organize everything.[/quote]

I don't know that it's the beard in of itself that's missing... just the difference between you and your avatar, of which the beard is but a part. Although you probably would look a little more... how to put it... swashbuckling with one. XD

As for the spoiler tag, I agree, that wouldn't really be necessary. Maybe if there was an elegant way to tighten it up, like maybe just having the descriptions out, with all the purchase links for each game in their own spoiler boxes... I dunno. It's probably too much effort to worry about, though... who cares about scrolling, really?

[quote name='Justme8800']I don't know that it's the beard in of itself that's missing... just the difference between you and your avatar, of which the beard is but a part. Although you probably would look a little more... how to put it... swashbuckling with one. XD

As for the spoiler tag, I agree, that wouldn't really be necessary. Maybe if there was an elegant way to tighten it up, like maybe just having the descriptions out, with all the purchase links for each game in their own spoiler boxes... I dunno. It's probably too much effort to worry about, though... who cares about scrolling, really?[/QUOTE]

I didn't have on my swashbuckling face... or a parrot, that's probably what's throwing you. :)

sorry about the 360, maybe now you can catch up on the awesome wii releases! kidz sports? no? how about indianapolis 500? why not? ok, ok, play some M&M kart racing.

[quote name='LiK']my 360 was from the 2nd major shipments after launch and i haven't red ringed or anything like that. i've always had my 360 on the horizontal position and i have my power brick in a location away from the carpet and on a solid surface to dissipate heat. i'm still using the same one i first bought, knock on wood.[/quote]
[Hands LiK a sequoia]

[quote name='shipwreck']Yes, that's me in the picture. I know... I need a beard.[/quote]

Grow a beard and you'll look like my man Glen Hansard from The Frames.

glen_l.jpg

[quote name='Tybee'][Hands LiK a sequoia][/quote]

:rofl:

Tybee, that means a lot more now. i just learned today that my sister's bf's 360 just died. MS is sending him a box for repairs. he only bought his 360 a few months ago...ouch

[quote name='meager']What is the status on new episodes? Darn winter hiatus.[/QUOTE]

Well, there are no new releases again next week, but we're going to record a show this Sunday to start getting into a pattern of Monday releases.

[quote name='shipwreck']Well, there are no new releases again next week, but we're going to record a show this Sunday to start getting into a pattern of Monday releases.[/quote]

Is that a new year's resolution (started a bit early)? ;)

I hadn't commented on this one or the one before, as I'd been out of town and only today am "sort of" caught up on all my podcast listening, but I really look forward to new shows in the new year. I love you guys. :)

Oh, and my condolences about your 360. Have you already sent it back?

Oh, and put me FIRMLY in the camp that thinks that you DON'T need a beard. But if you want one, make sure mrs. shipwreck wants it too, because she's the one you'll be kissing most often with a fuzzy face... ;)

/tk

I just got high speed internet and can now listen to your show!!!!!

I'm now subscribed to your podcast and in the process of getting all your past episodes.

bread's done
Back