CAG Foreplay #30: Oh Boy... Burning Seasation (1/22/08)

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
CAG's shipwreck & mrs. shipwreck Wombat preview the new releases for the week of January 22nd, 2008. This week has plenty of nautical nonsense (if that's something you wish) with seafaring tales making up the majority of the plentiful booty. Embark with us as we embark on a journey on the games worth embarking upon as well as those that should be best left disembarked. Sure, we cover games for you landlubbers as games like Burnout Paradise, No More Heroes, and Advance Wars: Days of Ruin all wash ashore. I'll stop now.

You can now subscribe to Foreplay on iTunes by clicking this link: CAG Foreplay on iTunes

You can also contact us with any questions or comments at [email protected] or [email protected].

Special thanks to www.GoDaddy.com for providing CAG Foreplay listeners with a code for domain names for just $6.95 a year. Just enter code "GAMER1" when you check out to get your savings.

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/foreplay/cagforeplay30.mp3[/media] [digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAG_Foreplay[/digg]

Multi-Platform

Burnout Paradise Dev. Criterion Games Pub. Electronic Arts Systems: 360, PS3 MSRP: $59.99
Burnout returns and, what was once known as a series based around quick arcade style gameplay, has now been Grand Theft Auto-sized into a sprawling open city that immediately reminds me of the recent Need For Speed games or the older Midtown Madness series. The core racing style is still there as there are plenty of jumps, shortcuts, and crashes to be had, but it just seems a little more cumbersome now. Plus, for the life of me, I can not figure out why they replaced Crash Mode with the new Showtime Mode. Effectively, they have turned this more into a straight up racing game that someone like Mrs. Ship (who only played Crash Mode) will have no interest in now. Am I still going to play it, sure, but I really wish there was an end in sight for the trend of every game thinking it has to become this huge go anywhere, do anything experience. - ship

Best Deal:
Family Video is offering Burnout Paradise for $58 shipped. Amazon and EB/GameStop are offering a free in-game car with the purchase of the game.

:360: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping plus in-game "Steel Wheels" car)
:360: Purchase At Family Video $56.98 (99 cent shipping)
:360: Purchase At EB Games $59.99 (Free in-game "Steel Wheels" car)
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping plus in-game "Steel Wheels" car)
:ps3: Purchase At Family Video $56.98 (99 cent shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At EB Games $59.99 (Free in-game "Steel Wheels" car)

Wii

Endless Ocean: Dive, Discover, Dream Dev. Arika Pub. Nintendo Systems: Wii MSRP: $29.99
Step into the flippers of Steve Zissou in the latest Wii game that is more of an experience than a game. This diving adventure allows you to swim around leisurely and interact with sea life. Take pictures of fish to complete your "fish log", pet polar bears (I wouldn't recommend it), and teach tricks to dolphins (kick that field goal "Snowflake"). Plus, online play allows you to invite a friend over to wade around in your ocean where you can explore shipwrecks and ruins while building strong emotional ties that will surely last a lifetime. Maybe together you can track down the elusive "Jaguar Shark". - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Endless Ocean.

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Family Video $28.84 (99 cent shipping)

Kawasaki Jet Ski Dev. Data Design Pub. Bold Games Systems: Wii MSRP: $19.99
Take it from the official website, "Kawasaki Jet Ski is a perfect titles for the Wii." I really can't hope to say anything better than that about this follow-up to last month's "Kawasaki Quad Bikes". Oh, it says here "The game also deliver impressive sounds". Rock on. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Kawasaki Jet Ski.

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)

No More Heroes Dev. Grashopper Manufacture Pub. Ubi Soft Systems: Wii MSRP: $49.99
Assume the role of Travis Touchdown in this wildly absurd action game from the creator of Killer7. It seems Travis is a geek who wins a light saber in an online auction and then decides to kill the top ten hitmen around, so that he can score some chicks. Yes, it's bizzare. Yes, it has crotch lasers. Yes, the art-style is kind of out there. But these are the things that make "No More Heroes" stand out and, at the same time, will probably lead to poor sales. If you're looking for a unique, fully-fledged game to play on your Wii, though, give it a shot. Whether you buy it now or wait for the inevitably quick price drop is up to you. - ship

Best Deal:
Family Video is offering No More Heroes for $45 shipped.

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Family Video $44 (99 cent shipping)

One Piece: Unlimited Adventure Dev. Ganbarion Pub. Namco Bandai Systems: Wii MSRP: $39.99
Okay, I know nothing about this series other than it's about pirates. That and this advertisement that I'm looking at for the game shows really big cartoon boobs and an upskirt shot which make me feel a little dirty. The game itself looks like it would be a pretty entertaining adventure game for fans of the series though. There's plenty of RPG elements mixed in and there are a lot of combos to learn as you explore an island in search of... I don't know, Dragon Balls or something. Aside from the main adventure, there is also a survival mode and a versus fighting mode where you can unlock over 40 characters including Big Boobs Betty and Upskirt Sally. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for One Piece: Unlimited Adventure.

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Deep Discount $38.99 (Free shipping)

DS

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin Dev. Intelligent Systems Pub. Nintendo Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
I wanted to write something snarky like Advanced Bores, or Advanced Snores. But if turned-based strategy is you game of choice, then you will be more than statisfied with nintendo lastest entry in this series. Adding some new features like wi-fi, new characters and a map editor, this should keep you busy for a long time. Or at least until next FF Tactics hits shelves. - wombat

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, but this is one of those games that some stores try to charge $35 for, so watch out for that.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Dev. SEGA Pub. SEGA Systems: DS MSRP: $34.99
(Deja Preview) Built around what is essentially a collection of mini games, the Mushroom Kingdom and … umm… wherever Sonic lives collide for the first time. Compete in a myriad of events including archery, hammer throw, 110m hurdles, swimming, and table tennis. That’s really just skimming the surface of the twenty-something events that will cause you and your friends to flail about with delusions of gold medals. As far as I know, there aren’t any mandatory drug tests in this game, but if your friend’s Princess Peach suddenly has an Adam’s apple and a plumber’s moustache, feel free to call them on it.

The DS version adds two exclusive events (bicycling and 10m diving) and, of course, touchscreen controls. - ship

Best Deal:
EB/GameStop is offering a free Mario & Sonic pin with the purchase of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $34.99 (Free shipping)
:ds: Purchase At Deep Discount $33.99 (Free shipping)
:ds: Purchase At EB Games $34.99 (Free Mario & Sonic pin)

Mega Brain Boost Dev. Interchannel-Holon Pub. Majesco Systems: DS MSRP: $19.99
Let's face it. If you haven't gotten any smarter by now, it might be a lost cause. But at the very least you can consolidate some of your overflowing collection of brain aids by picking up this compilation of the already released Brain Boost Beta Wave and Gamma Wave. This package also includes an all new third game featuring such brain-benders as "Match the Kanji Characters", "Dots", "Colors", 'Find the Goal", and "Total Amount of Money". The answer to that last one is "twenty dollars that you'll never get back". - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Mega Brain Boost.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)

PSP

Rainbow Islands: Revolution Dev. Digital Whip - Taito Pub. Ignition Entertainment Systems: PSP MSRP: $19.99
Here on Rainbow Island...
There is Bub and Bob.
They don't steal or rob.
They just do their job.

They wear sombreros.
Why? No one knows.
Their guns shoot rainbows.

Accordions are guns.
Rainbow shooting guns.
This used to be more fun. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Rainbow Islands: Revolution.

:psp: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)

PC

Pirates of the Burning Sea Dev. Flying Lab Software Pub. Sony Online Entertainment Systems: PC MSRP: $49.99
Okay, what is with all the nautical games this week? This is another MMO testing the waters and vying for a place on your monthly credit card statement. It's everything you would expect from a pirate game... ship battles, sword fights, parrots, piratey songs, maybe some scurvy. - ship

Best Deal:
Family Video is offering Pirates of the Burning Sea for $48 shipped. Amazon and EB/GameStop are offering some free in-game content and a soundtrack with your purchase.

:pc: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping plus in-game parrot, swords, and a soundtrack with over an hour of pirate songs)
:pc: Purchase At Family Video $46.87 (99 cent shipping)
:pc: Purchase At EB Games $49.99 (Free in-game parrot, swords, and a soundtrack with over an hour of pirate songs)

On The DL with the Shipwrecks

Adventures of Lolo 2 Systems: Wii (NES) MSRP: $5
The sequel to the puzzle solving masterpiece that is still one of my favorite series to this day. Help Lolo once again work his way through countless mazes to save his beloved Lala from the clutches of the Great Devil. Plus, unlike a lot of Virtual Console games, this is actually a sound financial decision because copies of this game routinely go for over $20 on eBay. I'm comin' Lala! - ship

Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers Systems: Wii (SNES) MSRP: $8
Well, I don't really think I need to buy this again, but if you are in the Street Fighter II market, this is the version that added T. Hawk, Fei Long, Deejay, and Cammy. - ship

PixelJunk Monsters Systems: PS3 MSRP: $10?
Really adorable monsters are attacking your village and it is up to you to erect defenses to thwart these hand-drawn creatures of destruction. This real-time strategy game allows for local co-op play and even remote play through your PSP when you are on the go. No what's the best way to kill those happy-looking fellows, electric plasma or insect swarm. - ship

Did we miss a good sale on a game? Did we miss previewing a game completely? Well, the only way that everyone can know a better deal is out there is to let us know about it. Post deals you've found or games that we missed in the thread so that CAGs can make sure they are getting the absolute best prices on new releases.

yay, Wombat in da house! lookin forward to the show when i d/l it after work today. btw, Shippy and Wombat, it was great fun last night. i would like to play more CoD4 with you guys when you're on again. "Going to A! Need backup!" :D

[quote name='bobthecat23']whats the song i tha beggining it was great playing with wombat and ship oh and it's domination[/QUOTE]

The song at the beginning is "Beyond the Sea" by Moby and Oscar the Punk off of the BioShock EP.

I enjoyed the discussion about Track and Field games. Like you I was a runner in college and have pondered a Cross Country game. I've decided it would be impossible.

That was kind of awkward, like two dudes who only know each other over the internet talking on the phone... and wombat sounded different, less high pitched I think. David definitely brings something out of him.

also, Beyond the Sea was originally sung by Bobby Darin, unless there was someone before him

I like the crossover, maybe in the future Shipwreck or Mrs Shiwreck can visit the CAGcast, or maybe Cheapy can chime in on 4play.

[quote name='yukine']Wombat > Mrs. Shipwreck.

Good show.[/quote]

False, she’s the glue that keeps the show together. While I am a fan of Wombat, there was this feeling of awkwardness that was throughout the whole show. Mrs. Shipwreck keeps the pace moving, like CheapyD, while Shipwreck and Wombat are both guilty of going off in tangents. Granted they're usually the funniest part of the show so... I don’t know what I'm talking about now.:wall:

Wow, that was a surprise! Thanks kPod! The reason I play old games is because my PC can't run anything recent, lol

Good show.[/quote]

I disagree I love the interaction between Mr. & Mrs. The minor disagreements they have on the show are always amusing. :)

Good show.[/quote]

It was interesting to hear Wombat dishing it out instead of taking it like he usually does from Cheapy, but I guess Wombat's internet celebrity rank is on the rise.

However, definitely not a pwning of Mrs. Shipwreck, as Mrs. Shipwreck is quit good at dishing it out to Shipwreck regarding his crappy Xbox games. That, for me, is an endless source of amusement.

Great show. This is the reason why the CAGcast shouldn't shut down if Cheapy or Wombat are out, just bring in Shipwreck to pinch-hit for that week.

PixelJunk Racers was $7 and went on sale for a week for $5, so I imagine Monsters will go for $7 when it comes out tomorrow.

First Foreplay I've listened to, quite enjoyed it although it was a little like I imagined - one giant list of games without much explanation or talk about them.

When Shipwreck mentioned Persona 3 I was quite interested in hearing about it as in one of Gaming Steve's latest podcasts he talked a bit about it. Saying he only found out about it because it turned up on a few games of the year lists he'd seen.

He found a used copy in Sears btw.

Sounds pretty interesting, shooting yourself in the head to summon demons to fight?

I guess you already talked about it on a previous show as you skipped it without any explanation at all?

Hey everyone! I'm officially back from Florida and ready to podcast. I missed a lot of the discussion from last week's show, so here's the photo that will make everyone feel better about the dog and the paper shredder. Yes, it's the same dog. The website that posted that photo happened to be the emergency clinic that I worked at in Columbus.

shredder24rc.jpg

A few stitches (which will dissolve), and that dog was eating in a few hours. Mostly when these accidents happen, the dogs do fine. They can even survive with no lower jaw and still eat, so don't fret too much. The moral of the story is, turn the shredder off when not in use.

Florida was fun, as much fun as going to classes can be. There aren't too many games being released this week, but we'll have a show out on Sunday/Monday.

Wow I don't have a dog but I would be so upset at myself if I left the paper shredder on. I do have 2 cats though one of them leads me to the first of my 2 part question....
-My female cat is around 12 years old and is ravenous hungry 24/7, will drag an entire loaf of bread off the counter and devour it within a minute. Steals marshmallows and scavenges and cries and screams for food all the time. She has diabetes and gets shots whenever we can test her urine. She also has water on the heart I believe and gets pills for that. Is there anything you know about maybe helping her to not be so hungry? We feed her twice a day fancy feast and give her crunchy snacks(small amount) twice a day.

Also Shipwreck when you mentioned how rare Tetris DS was and the value on ebay I checked and there seems to be a lot on ebay (bootlegs?) but the ones with real pictures are only getting around $30 which is about retail. Is it the case that most on ebay (listed for like 15 with 15 shipping) are knockoffs and Tetris DS is still rare and commands over retail?

Good show this week, though I'll admit I prefer the chemistry of mrs. ship + ship on this show better than ship + Wombat. Regardless, it was still a fun episode. Just as you guys were talking about XBox Live getting "better" enough so you guys could play CoD4, I was having troubles connecting with a friend of mine to play Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga. I hope they fix Live soon...

Only game for me "right away" this week is Advance Wars, because I want to try a game in the series, and previous experience has told me that after they sell out of the first round of the game, it'll be next to impossible to find. I hate paying full price, especially for a game I'm not sure I'm going to like, but it seems that if I'm going to give the series a go, this is a good one to go with (and now that I have a copy, I won't have to try to find one later when I really want to give it a try).

Lookin' forward to the next show. :)

/tk

HAving Wombat on the show was a great change of pace and actually was very refreshing. Should have him popup maybe more often? Please do not censor wombat!!!! OR any of the Cag related Podcasts for that matter!

BTW. If ANYBODY is looking for Tetris DS come to Canada cause Wal-Mart has TONNES! So does Gamestop *yup they changed the name finally up here too from EB.

OMG MRS. SHIPPY, thanks for the updated pic. i don't feel so bad anymore for that dog. it was quite disturbing to see it all flayed out in the previous thread.

btw Shippy and Wombat, i just started listening to the show today (finally!) and the intro was hilarious. nice editing Shippy...lol.

o yea, my 360 never red-ringed and it was from the 2nd shipment after launch. so you guys technically know someone who never red-ringed. *knock on wood* ;)

Ok, seriously. What the hell is up with this show. You keep giving us bs about it will be recorded every Monday and you would be on a schedule once again.

Yeah that didn't happen and shows are still happening every other week. Doesn't really help us keeping up on new releases when the show doesn't happen... you know... the week the games actually came out.

It was bad enough that the forums went down and you guys didn't do a show, but if there is no show this week, you might as well change the concept of the show and call it the 'bi-monthy (if you're lucky) LagCast'... Hear about new titles from 2 weeks ago!

[quote name='Trenchalicious']Ok, seriously. What the hell is up with this show. You keep giving us bs about it will be recorded every Monday and you would be on a schedule once again.

Yeah that didn't happen and shows are still happening every other week. Doesn't really help us keeping up on new releases when the show doesn't happen... you know... the week the games actually came out.

It was bad enough that the forums went down and you guys didn't do a show, but if there is no show this week, you might as well change the concept of the show and call it the 'bi-monthy (if you're lucky) LagCast'... Hear about new titles from 2 weeks ago![/QUOTE]

Heh, well yes, we didn't do a show last week because CAG was down. This week's show is all set to record tonight though, so it should be up late tonight/early tomorrow.

When CAG was down, that is when we needed a show the most! It was so boring! It's good to hear the show will be recorded. It's an excellent product and it needs to be heard. Love the show.

bread's done
Back