CAG Foreplay #32: Paradise by the Pixels' Light (2/12/08)

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
CAG's shipwreck & mrs. shipwreck preview the new releases for the week of February 12th, 2008. Looking for something for your sweetheart this week? Well, look no further as we preview brainteasing adventure games, pigs shooting zombies, turn-based battles and a big heart-shaped box of mediocrity.

You can now subscribe to Foreplay on iTunes by clicking this link: CAG Foreplay on iTunes

You can also contact us with any questions or comments at [email protected] or [email protected].

Special thanks to www.GoDaddy.com for providing CAG Foreplay listeners with a code for domain names for just $6.95 a year. Just enter code "GAMER1" when you check out to get your savings.

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/foreplay/cagforeplay32.mp3[/media] [digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAG_Foreplay[/digg]

Multi-Platform

Conflict: Denied Ops Dev. Pivotal Games Pub. Eidos Systems: PC, 360, PS3 MSRP: $39.99, $49.99
This one's almost like a buddy movie, so imagine Lethal Weapon, except Mel Gibson's character can only use sniper rifles and Danny Glover's character can only use machine guns. Now, you could switch between Mel and Danny if you are playing by yourself, but let's say your friend Joe Pesci would like to play with you as well. Well, Joe could jump in and control either Mel or Danny online or through splitscreen. Now imagine Chris Rock came along and removed any Lethal Weapon references and replaced them with a pretty mediocre CIA operative storyline and really inept enemies. Damn you Chris Rock! - ship

Best Deal:
Circuit City is offering free underwear with your purchase of Conflict: Denied Ops.

:360: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)
:360: Purchase At Family Video $47.47 (99 cent shipping)
:360: Purchase At Circuit City $49.99 (Free Conflict: Denied Ops Boxer Underwear with purchase)
:pc: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Family Video $47.47 (99 cent shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Circuit City $49.99 (Free Conflict: Denied Ops Boxer Underwear with purchase)

Dungeon Explorer: Warrior of Ancient Arts Dev. Hudson Soft Pub. Konami Systems: DS, PSP MSRP: $29.99
Same name, different games. While the Gauntlet style dungeon crawl gameplay is consistent between the two, the DS version actually takes place centuries following the PSP version. The PSP version has you battling demons and monsters, while the DS version has you battling a legion of undead and automatons. Either way, beat down thousands of n'er-do-wells (and their places of residence) with up to two other human players as you master different fighting styles, upgrade your weapons, and need food badly. - ship

Best Deal:
Amazon is offering Dungeon Explorer: Warrior of Ancient Arts for $27 shipped.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $26.99 (Free shipping)
:ds: Purchase At Family Video $27.64 (99 cent shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Amazon $26.99 (Free shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Family Video $27.64 (99 cent shipping)

Go Diego Go: Safari Rescue Dev. 2K Games Pub. 2K Play Systems: PS2, Wii MSRP: $29.99, $39.99
(Deja Preview) If you aren’t familiar with Diego, he’s the character created because fathers just couldn’t stomach their little boys being so enthralled with Dora and her mountain of pink merchandise. Well, at least that’s my guess. Anyway, some magician has messed up all the African animals by doing things like removing the stripes from zebras and giving giraffes short necks. It's up to you to help Diego put everything back to normal with the aid of a magic drum. You might even get to learn that the Spanish word for "giraffe" is "jirafa" in the process! - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Go Diego Go: Safari Rescue.

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Family Video $28.84 (99 cent shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Amazon $39.79 (Free shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Family Video $38.46 (99 cent shipping)

Jumper Dev. Red Tribe - Collision Studios Pub. Brash Entertainment Systems: PS2, Wii, 360 MSRP: $39.99-$59.99
This multi-platform title is based on the movie directed by Doug Liman. Yes, Doug Liman of the Bourne trilogy and Mr. & Mrs. Smith. The movie premise is simple. A group of genetically-enhanced individuals (the jumpers) are able to teleport at anytime to anyplace. Of course, there's an anti-teleportation group (the paladins) out to destroy the jumpers. One jumper in particular, Griffin, has a parents-were-killed-so-I'm-out-for-revenge backstory that's fitting for a videogame, so that's where the game focus is. How does the game play? It's essentially an arena combat title, with the levels being different exotic locales. The coolest thing about the play itself is the teleportation. Each enemy will have a small circle around his feet, with the circle being divided into quarters. The quarters are green if the enemy is vulnerable in that spot (say, to his left or from behind) but are red if he is not vulnerable. Those quarters correspond to the four action buttons on your controller, allowing for easy teleportation and thus killing from behind. The triggers allow teleportation between different enemies. The cutscenes have been altered into really cool kills, so that usually after the end of a battle, Griffin teleports the last enemy to some crazy spot and the gamer gets to watch all the unique ways in which to both mess with the enemy's mind and kill him. Fun. Most of the gameplay information is 360-related, there's not much available as to how this title will play on the Wii or PS2. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
Deep Discount is offering the Xbox 360 version of Jumper for $54 shipped. EB/GameStop are offering an exclusive graphic novel with your purchase.

:360: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping)
:360: Purchase At Deep Discount $53.99 (Free shipping)
:360: Purchase At EB Games $59.99 (Free Jumper Graphic Novel with purchase)
:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Deep Discount $38.99 (Free shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At EB Games $39.99 (Free Jumper Graphic Novel with purchase)
:wii: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Deep Discount $48.99 (Free shipping)
:wii: Purchase At EB Games $49.99 (Free Jumper Graphic Novel with purchase)

DS

Barnyard Blast Dev. Sanuk Games Pub. Destination Software Systems: DS MSRP: $19.99
Now here's a rather unique title that pays homage to both retro horror games like Castlevania and Ghosts n' Goblins and scrolling shooters like Metal Slug and Alien Hominid. You are Robert Belmart, "Swine of the Night", on a mission to save your piglet son, Cliffy Belmart, after he was caught tee-peeing the local ancient castle of darkness. Apparently, creatures of the night don't take kindly to that, so you must brandish your whip, shotgun, and various other weapons to take them out in this scrolling, platforming shooter. If it all comes together, I'll be happier than a pig in a blanket... mowing down zombies. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Barnyard Blast.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)

New Zealand Story: Revolution Dev. Taito Pub. Ignition Entertainment Systems: DS MSRP: $19.99
Think back to 1988. Now think harder - do you remember an arcade platform title called Kiwi Kraze, featuring a small kiwi (the bird) named Tiki trying to save his friends. Of course you do! Now fast forward twenty years to this very moment, and prepare to play The New Zealand Story Revolution - a remix of the classic title now available for the DS. By remix, I mean the same graphics with a slightly newer look, and the same gameplay with some new elements like double jump and a charge attack. Other than that, little has changed for Tiki in 20 years. Of course, with these updates, it's obvious that the touch screen is an afterthought in the gameplay, and the dated controls (which weren't crisp in 1988) should have been tweaked. So, is this retro title cool like the NES controller backpack of mine, or cool like the avocado green TV that ship had as a child? That's for you to decide. - mrs. ship

shipwrecktv.jpg

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for New Zealand Story: Revolution.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)

Professor Layton and the Curious Village Dev. Level 5 Pub. Nintendo Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
Professor Layton is essentially the DS version of Sherlock Holmes, complete with Luke, a young "Watson" by his side. The duo arrives in St. Mystere to resolve an inheritance dispute between a few of the village's residents. Of course, in this town, nothing is as it seems. Enter the puzzle-solving, stylus-wielding gameplay. First off, the drawing style on this title will make you wonder if some creative force at Atlus has defected over to Level-5. The soft, hand-drawn characters are decidedly un-Nintendo, but are charming and appealing. While the art style may look like Touch Detective, the gameplay revolves around individual puzzles (mazes, riddles, and logic mini-games) and not so much pointing and clicking. The puzzles are strung together with well-done cut scenes. For $30, I'm so excited about this title, I might have to go out and buy it on release day. As an added bonus, this game is the first in a trilogy, so there will be more good gameplay to come. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Professor Layton and the Curious Village.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:ds: Purchase At Deep Discount $28.99 (Free shipping)

Wii

Balloon Pop
Dev. UFO Pub. UFO Systems: Wii MSRP: $19.99
In this quirky new puzzle Wii title, an evil genius (there's always an evil genius) has taken the seasons hostage in little balloons. The gameplay revolves around shooting the balloons to open the elements contained within them. Put together enough elements and save the world. I'm imagining this title to be similar to Snood. Now that I've watched the gameplay video, I see that it's actually exactly like Super Collapse, except it boasts a weird dancing mushroom and Katamari-like animation. All in all, it doesn’t look like a bad choice with a $30 pricetag. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Balloon Pop.

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)

London Taxi: Rush Hour Dev. Pub. Bold Games Systems: Wii MSRP: $19.99
Not to be confused with the next Chris Tucker/Jackie Chan collaboration, but to be confused with a certain taxi that is crazy, London Taxi: Rush Hour blatantly rips off the classic pick up a passenger, have driving hijinx, drop them off formula. (Didn't EA get sued for this year's ago?) Well, this port of a 2006 PC game has you delivering customers to famous London locations (look kids, there's Big Ben) and it has been updated with tilty driving controls. I do not, however, see or hear any mention of Bad Religion or the Offspring. Look kids, there's Big Ben. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for London Taxi: Rush Hour.

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25))

Xbox 360

Dark Messiah of Might & Magic Elements Dev. Annency Studio Pub. Ubi Soft Systems: 360 MSRP: $59.99
This first-person action RPG title came out for the PC in 2006, and is getting a fresh start on the console front with all-around better AI, graphics, and combat. Just kidding. This title is pretty much the PC title ported over to the 360 with four new levels. Of course, there's also downloadable content available for you to spend your cash on. Since the DLC was available for purchase on our 360 on Friday BEFORE the title came out, you get a great sense of being ripped off as a bonus with the purchase of the game. The gameplay has the typical four character classes: warrior, rogue, wizard, and archer and isn't a bad game, but the demo available on XBLA isn't anything spectacular. With all the great new games that have been released in the past year, the bar has been raised and this title falls under it. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
Family Video saves you a couple of bucks on Dark Messiah of Might & Magic Elements. EB/GameStop is offering an exclusive downloadable map with your purchase.

:360: Purchase At Family Video $57.68 (99 cent shipping)
:360: Purchase At EB Games $59.99 (Free in-game downloadable exclusive map)

Lost Odyssey Dev. Mistwalker Pub. Microsoft Systems: 360 MSRP: $59.99
Lost Odyssey is another RPG from Sakaguchi that takes advantage of the Xbox 360's graphical prowess while staying pretty rooted in traditional turn-based gameplay. You play as Kaim, an amnesiac who is cursed to live 1000 years and along with your party of four other similar immortals, you must defeat the evil that is spreading across the land. All pretty standard stuff, but the production value is very high, so if you don't mind random battles and sifting through menus, Lost Odyssey could remind you how engaging traditional Japanese role-playing games can be. - ship

Best Deal:
Deep Discount is offering Lost Odyssey for $54 shipped.

:360: Purchase At Deep Discount $53.99 (Free shipping)

PS2

Dora the Explorer: Dora Saves the Mermaids Dev. 2K Games Pub. 2K Play Systems: PS2 MSRP: $29.99
(Deja Preview) Well, for the love of... how about some spoiler tags on that title next time 2K Games? A chubby, Latina child turns into a mermaid and, with the help of her pants-less monkey, saves the day by teaching full-blooded mermaids rudimentary Spanish and problem solving skills. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Dora the Explorer: Dora Saves the Mermaids.

:ps2: Purchase At Family Video $28.84 (99 cent shipping)

Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon: Special Edition Dev. ArtePiazza Pub. Natsume Systems: PS2 MSRP: $29.99
This title was released for the PSP last year with little fanfare. In fact, our local EB/Gamestop had only one copy (the one that I pre-ordered). While the title bears the name of Harvest Moon, it's not a brightly-colored, sprite-filled game like the others. Instead, there are robots, ATVs, caves to explore, and a mechanical farming system that milks your cows and ships your crops. The caves are filled with enemies to fight, so the largest thing that makes this title different is the presence of combat. The monotony of watering said crops remains intact, however, which makes it a Harvest Moon game at heart. If you've never played Harvest Moon before and have no idea what I'm talking about, this isn't the title to start with. If you love Harvest Moon but missed this title, you should play it, but be warned - it is different. The "special edition" part is a mystery - all I can tell is that some of the screenshots are more up-close than I remember, but this game doesn't come with anything special. Does being a PS2 game make a title a special edition? - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon: Special Edition.

:ps2: Purchase At Deep Discount $28.99 (Free shipping)

Iridium Runners Dev. Pub. Southpeak Interactive Systems: PS2 MSRP: $14.99
A futuristic racing game built around people running and collecting power-ups. Anybody? - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Iridium Runners.

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $14.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)
:ps2: Purchase At Family Video $14.99 (99 cent shipping)

PSP

Chessmaster: The Art of Learning Dev. Ubi Soft Pub. Ubi Soft Systems: PSP MSRP: $29.99
(Deja Preview) Not many chess games can peak my interest, but throw in a mini-game named "Fork my Fruit" and I'll raise an eyebrow. Filled with plenty of chess variations (including "Losing Chess"), move analysis, classic matches, two-player support, and the previously mentioned mini-games, this looks like a chess game with all the bells and whistles. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Chessmaster: The Art of Learning.

:psp: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Deep Discount $28.99 (Free shipping)

Wipeout Pulse Dev. SCE Studios Liverpool Pub. Sony Systems: PSP MSRP: $29.99
This floaty, anti-gravity racing title has been out in Europe and Australia since December, so there is lots of feedback from gamers available. Being the second PSP Wipeout title, there are new tracks, vehicles, and weaponry as compared to the original. The truly "new" aspect of this title is the addition of a magnetic strip to parts of the courses, which allows for loops and vertical drops. There's also an elimination mode: in order to win, you must destroy all of your competitors. So, what do all those aforementioned gamers think of this title? The overall consensus is that while Pulse isn’t anything new, it's still a great game. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
Family Video will save you a couple of bucks on Wipeout Pulse.

:psp: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Family Video $27.64 (99 cent shipping)

PC

The Experiment Dev. Pub. Dreamcatcher Interactive Systems: PC MSRP: $29.99
An action-adventure game for those of you who like staring at women through security cameras. Someone has trapped you and a female research scientist aboard a grounded ship; you are stuck in a control room and she is stuck in the labs. With no form of communicating with her, you must use the surveillance controls to help both of you escape and solve the mystery of who is holding you hostage. Kind of creepy. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for The Experiment.

:pc: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)

Penumbra: Black Plague Dev. Frictional Games Pub. Paradox Systems: PC MSRP: $19.99
In an effort to be more PC-gamer friendly, I did more research into this title than I typically would. First, it's an action title based around an adventurer name Philip who is trapped in an underground cavern in Greenland. The gameplay is full of puzzles, searching for clues, and psychological terrors (which is code for blood and guts based on the screen shots). This is the sequel to Penumbra: Overture, and is the final title in the franchise. All the previews that I read regarding this title said it was the better game of the two for several reasons. First, the puzzles make sense (one reviewer mentioned something about a cell phone strapped to a cat not being so intuitive). Second, there are no dog patrols. Third, the physics are better. If you're a PC gamer who played the first title, these things will hopefully add up to more enjoyment while playing the second. If you missed the first title, I would give this title a chance. Based on what I’ve read, it looks and sounds like a quality game. Even if it won't run on my Mac. – mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Penumbra: Black Plague.

:pc: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)

Sam & Max Episode 203: Night of the Raving Dead Dev. TellTale Games Pub. TellTale Games Systems: PC MSRP: $8.95, $34.95
Apparently, this adventure title is one of a franchise that occurs in episodes, and the #203 refers to season 2, episode 3. This is largely because the characters are from a comic book created in 1987. Okay, now I’m caught up. Sam and Max are private investigators fighting zombies in the newest addition to the franchise. Of course, there are promises of new locales, better controls, and unique mini-games. Known for bizarre storylines and comic game play, this one would interest me. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Sam and Max. You can download the individual episode for $8.95 or the complete second season for $35.

:pc: Purchase At TellTale Games $34.95

SpaceForce Captains Dev. Provox Games Pub. Dreamcatcher Interactive Systems: PC MSRP: $29.99
Conquer the universe by taking turns. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for SpaceForce Captains.

:pc: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)

On The DL with the Shipwrecks

Harvest Moon Systems: Wii (SNES) MSRP: $8
You farm, you talk to the townsfolk, you forage in the forest, and you sleep. The next day begins and you repeat, repeat, repeat! I know, it sounds boring, but the Harvest Moon titles are strangely addicting with their repetitive gameplay. The SNES title is the game that started them all, so it's the most simplistic. There are so many titles that have been re-released with a different main character or on a different system that I can't keep them all straight. There was one title that I hated (A Wonderful Life), while I loved Magical Melody. If you truly want more information about the Harvest Moon series, go to Wikipedia and check it out. I love these games, but they're not for everyone. If you're curious about the title and want to check it out, the WVC version is cheap and a good starting step, you just have to get past the dated graphics. - mrs. ship

Lords of Thunder Systems: Wii (TG16-CD) MSRP: $8
One of the most highly regarded SHMUPs on the TurboGrafx-16 scrolls right onto the Virtual Console this week. Upgrade your weapons and armor and listen to some really bitchin' guitar as you frantically shoot everything in sight. - ship

Commanders: Attack of the Genos Systems: 360 MSRP: $10
A turn-based strategy game set in an alternate-reality 1930's where the human genome has been cracked and human-like creatures called "Genos" are surely not up to any good. Manage your various kinds of troops and battle across the single-player mode or with up to three other people over Live. - ship

Discs of Tron Systems: 360 MSRP: $5
Wow, Tron has certainly been pimping himself out here lately. Fling your frisbees at Sark in the classic game and now you can even play against and with other players locally. Think of it as kind of like pong, but vertical, and you don't want to get hit by the ball. Of course there is an update graphics mode as well. - ship

Black Systems: 360 MSRP: $15
For all those people waiting for a first-person shooter to be released on the Xbox 360, Criterion's Xbox first-person shooter seems like a logical choice to fill the void left by the lack of first-person shooters on the Xbox 360. - ship

Ninja Gaiden Black Systems: 360 MSRP: $15
Ninja Gaiden 2 and Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword are just around the bend, so you better brush up on getting your ass handed to you. - ship

Sid Meier's Pirates! Systems: 360 MSRP: $15
The pirate on the cover is wearing the poofy shirt from Seinfeld and has quite a lot of chest hair. Originally a Commodore 64 title, it was ported to several systems including the Apple II, Atari, and of course, the NES. The gameplay includes several pirate-y things like attacking ships, looking for treasure, and trade. The graphics are similar to the original Oregon Trail, and there is a similar historical accuracy that smells of edutainment. All this and more is now available on your 360! - mrs. ship

Oops, we accidentally previewed the original Pirates! instead of the Xbox version. Fittingly enough, it's basically the same general game, but with more up-to-date graphics. Take that Oregon Trail! - ship

Did we miss a good sale on a game? Did we miss previewing a game completely? Well, the only way that everyone can know a better deal is out there is to let us know about it. Post deals you've found or games that we missed in the thread so that CAGs can make sure they are getting the absolute best prices on new releases.

Black was one of my favorite games from the last generation, and the 360's emulation doesn't quite cut it. While the title ran super-smooth on the ol' black box, on the 360, slow down appears when too many things explode. For a game about shooting red, explosive barrels, this sucks. Stay Away.

Not 100% sure on this but I think I saw Balloon Pop for the Wii priced at $19.99 at Walmart.

edit: nevermind. I thought it said $30 in the preview.

Can Shipwreck make a loop of Mrs. Shipwreck saying "ehh" when she was talking about Ehh games like Conflict: Denied Ops. That would make a good beat for a techno song.

BTW did Mrs. Ship ever play Hotel Dusk? Please tell me you've played Hotel Dusk! You'd love it. "Human wife, wow... freaky!"

Great show :) and the pic is awesome.
I thought the underwear promo was kinda funny too. :D
I'm just curious ship, how much snow did you guys get? I live about 2 hours away from you in Indiana, and we only got about 1-2".

I'm shopping for a couch right now. What couch did you get?

Also, ship...I love your wife for loving The Usual Suspects

Hey guys,
I haven't listened to the show yet, but saw this today and thought of your trials and tribulations with your XBL games: http://consumerist.com/355519/microsoft-has-no-answer-for-their-broken-xbox-live-drm
This story, combined with yours, and others like it, really have discouraged me from buying new stuff on Live...

Also, MysticHeat, ship forwarded me the PM with your address. Can you please PM me your name so I can put that on the shipment? I'd like to send it out tomorrow or Thursday.

Finally, is anybody else having a problem with the show not showing up on iTunes? I'm subscribed, and have refreshed to look for new podcast episodes, and it's not coming up. I'm going to save it from the direct download, just wondering if anyone else had a problem...

/tk

Just wanted to mention that the pop up player on the front page does not yet have the new episode. I don't know if that will be updated soon but I figured I should post it.

Great show. Even though it was pretty jumpy in terms of topic-hopping (and going back to things), I thought it was fun to listen to. :)
I'm sure you've dug into Professor Layton by now. I picked it up on release day (Sunday) and put in about 2 hours then. Since then, it's come to work with me, but I haven't had a chance to play it at work or since Sunday (guess what I'll be doing after this is posted). Plus, there's already a downloadable puzzle for it, which is pretty cool..
For the bug turn-based strategy game on the 360, are you talking about Worms? Or was there another game?

Oh, and for whatever it's worth, the episode finally showed up in my iTunes subscriptions thingie a little while ago.

/tk

[quote name='terpkristin']For the bug turn-based strategy game on the 360, are you talking about Worms? Or was there another game?[/QUOTE]

I'm sure that he's thinking of Band of Bugs.

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']I'm sure that he's thinking of Band of Bugs.[/QUOTE]

That's the one. I'll now proceed to forget what it's called again.

Ah, Harvest Moon. I remember when I first played it many a year ago. The SNES one was probably one of the simplest of the bunch in terms of expansions and money-making methods (Just outdoor crops, foraging, and animals this time around), but it had a few good quirks. Most notably, you were not forced to end the day after a certain time. Instead, once the game got to a certain time of night, the clock just stopped, allowing you to end the day whenever you wanted. This quirk made one of the girls who worked at night very easy to impress, as you could stop by after the clock stopped and give her gifts.

[quote name='GAMERMASTERMAN']Great show :) and the pic is awesome.
I thought the underwear promo was kinda funny too. :D
I'm just curious ship, how much snow did you guys get? I live about 2 hours away from you in Indiana, and we only got about 1-2".[/QUOTE]

We got around the same amount of snow here, maybe in the 2-3" range.

[quote name='Joon2324']I'm shopping for a couch right now. What couch did you get?

Also, ship...I love your wife for loving The Usual Suspects[/QUOTE]

Here's the couch we bought. We chose mocha.

5-2590-0936

http://www.havertys.com/webapp/wcs/...gId=10051&langId=-1&curIndex=1&resultCount=17

I have been playing PixelJunk: Monsters alone, and it is hard as hell but when you get that rainbow it is worth it. Glad both of you enjoy it, I have to try two players one day.

Black for Xbox is a great game $15 is too much for it.
I hear Black 2 is in the works.

is anyone else not having this show up in itunes? I deleted and re-subscribed and it just got last week's episode.

[quote name='jer7583']is anyone else not having this show up in itunes? I deleted and re-subscribed and it just got last week's episode.[/QUOTE]

I can't get it either.

I had to listen to the show to find out about this SNES Harvest Moon, for I didn't know it existed. Were all the Harvest Moons released in America, or are there some Japan-only ones that might have get released with their extra import fees?

My first Harvest Moon title was A Wonderful Life, so I don't hold it in contempt like Mrs. Shipwreck does... by the way, I believe the Special Edition of that was the one where you could choose to be a Boy or a Girl.

I was disappointed that the Discs of Tron game for the Xbox Arcade was the dull platform-based one. I was hoping for the Deadly Discs of Tron I played on the Intellivision. I enjoyed shattering everyone else's discs and watch them scurry around as I casually strolled in for the kill. When will we get Intellivision on the virtual console? Or Vectrex? I'd just be happy with any version of Burgertime.

For those of you not getting it in iTunes, try again here in a little while and it should work. For some reason Libsyn didn't publish our RSS feed right away (shakes fist in their general direction).

Hmm, i thought you guys said "sexual couch". hehehe.... nice purchase. Speaking of purchases, Shippy, do you have a good surround sound setup? if you don't you should invest in one. It makes a big difference.

As for Rez HD: whaaa?? I beat the game on one sitting. Shame on you, Shippy...j/k :)

mrs.shipwreck, Professor Layton is great, but some of the puzzles are frickin hard. The art and music is excellent. :D btw, Trace Memory is also great but it's much easier and shorter. you should definitely check out that game too.

God bless you for using the main theme from "Sam & Max Hit the Road" for your intro. That made my day.

Nice couch. We have a sectional that has exactly enough room for one of us to lie down (usually my wife...grr), one of us to sit up, and the dog to get one of two arm rests. I'd like to go bigger, but the room won't allow it. Oh well.

I'm usually not the type to complain about things people say, but I must say you're DEAD wrong about Culdcept Saga! I know you didn't play it very long, but I feel you were too harsh on the game. Firstly, I understand you bought the ps2 version on the cheap, as did I, but currently the ps2 version goes for about 40 bucks. So for a person new to the game, they both cost about the same. Here are the major reasons Saga is better

#1. More cards! Almost 500 in total. These add more gameplay mechanics, variety, and more deck building strategy.
#2. Less Cheap cards! There were a few cards that broke the ps2 version, like Old Willow.
#3. Improved AI. The AI was dumb as rocks in the ps2 version. They would choose to kill creatures with spells that they know you don't care about, while leaving lumbering giants on the board to murder them.
#4. Achievements. If you care about them or not, they are there, the orig had trophies, but they really didn't mean anything like achievements do.
#5. Online play. Why wouldn't this alone make you want to buy the game if having to choose between the two versions.
#6. Saved game states. I don't believe the ps2 version let you save the game between matches, because they can be quite long. The 360 version let's you do so effortlessly.
#7. Sequel? If this doesn't sell there won't be more in the series. Rumor is there may be a DS version if this does well...you can't argue that paying 30 bucks for this on handheld would be well worth it.

I think those are seven SOLID reasons to prefer this version to people that haven't played it, and should be enough if you like the ps2 version to drop 40 bucks on this one.

Another small rant, I'm tired of people saying that it should be an arcade game. I agree they would make A LOT more money charging 10 dollars for this as a download...but it really doesn't make sense. This came out as a full retail game in japan near the launch of the 360 in japan. I don't know the exact size of the game, but the cut scenes are voice acted, and with the 200 meg download limit, it may not be possible to fit on the memory card.

Love the show, but I had to give my two cents for a game that me and my wife love. BTW this IS the game my wife wanted an xbox360 for over a year now.

The avocado-green TV: When I was a kid we had both a refrigerator and a dishwasher that same color. In fact, I think everything in the 70's/early 80's was that color.

Also, that is a nice couch. I'd love to have one like that, except for the fact that it would probably take up my entire apartment. :/

[quote name='SeanNOLA']Great show guys!

Just wondering, do you have a list of all of your Saturn games?[/QUOTE]

We don't have too many Saturn games, but here's the list:

AMOK
Battle Arena Toshinden URA: Ultimate Revenge Attack
Brain Dead 13
Christmas Nights
D
Darius Gaiden
Daytona USA: Championship Circuit Edition
Fighters Megamix
Guardian Heroes
Maximum Force
Nights into Dreams
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Road Rash
Sega Rally Championship
Shining the Holy Ark
Tomb Raider
Virtua Cop
Virtua Kids
Virtua Fighter Remix
Virtual On

Oh, I can't remember if it was this show or the last one, but Ship you were talking about how much you'd love to see the Powerstone titles ported to the XBL Arcade. I could not agree with you more. I did not have a Dreamcast, but I played Powerstone 2 at E3 and thought it was incredibly fun. I would love to see new titles in that franchise or at the very least have the original games ported to a current console. Anyone who likes Smash Bros. would love Powerstone, so it seems like it could be very commercially successful for Capcom.

Powerstone 2 was amazing! It's crazy action, like Smash Bros, but it feels a little more natural to move around and fight. It really is too bad that nothing new is happening with it...

Not to beat a dead horse, but I was wondering if you had any insight to this DRM question. My son and I both got Zunes for Christmas. He decided to use some of the MS points to buy Alien Hominid under his gamertag on my console. Currently I'm on my 5th 360(I refer to him as Johnny #5). With your experience thus far, would I have a bigger DRM nightmare than you've had should Johnny #5 go the way of 1-4 ?

And a quick question for Mr. Ship.

Do you secretly hope your Memphis Tigers lose once before March Madness ?

Keep up the great work Ships !

loved Powerstone.. I sadly do not own a PSP to enjoy the collection. I've gone back and forth on whether or not to buy PixelJunk monsters..

bread's done
Back