CAG Foreplay #33: Hand Jammin' (2/19/08)

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
CAG's shipwreck & mrs. shipwreck preview the new releases for the week of February 19th, 2008. This week features a plethora of games that we're all very familiar with as sequels and ports dominate the list. There are a few fresh titles like The Club, a Dragon Quest Wii-'em-up, and a game featuring a lot of biathletes though.

You can now subscribe to Foreplay on iTunes by clicking this link: CAG Foreplay on iTunes

You can also contact us with any questions or comments at [email protected] or [email protected].

Special thanks to www.GoDaddy.com for providing CAG Foreplay listeners with a code for domain names for just $6.95 a year. Just enter code "GAMER1" when you check out to get your savings.

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/foreplay/cagforeplay33.mp3[/media] [digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAG_Foreplay[/digg]

Multi-Platform

The Club Dev. Bizarre Creations Pub. SEGA Systems: PC, 360, PS3 MSRP: $49.99, $59.99
In a time of story driven third-person shooters, The Club is a bit of a strange bird. Sure, there's a convoluted story about some group of guys that goes around shooting people for some reason, but the heart of the game is very arcade like. The entire purpose of the game is to quickly and stylistically take out the "bad guys" so that you can increase your score multiplier and beat the predetermined high score. It actually works pretty well, but maybe I can best sum up this game like this: should have been cheaper. - ship

Best Deal:
Family Video will save you a couple of bucks on any version of The Club. EB/GameStop is offering a free t-shirt and a coupon for $10 off your future purchase of Condemned 2.

:360: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping)
:360: Purchase At Family Video $57.68 (99 cent shipping)
:360: Purchase At EB Games $59.99 (Free t-shirt and a $10 off coupon for Condemned 2)
:pc: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)
:pc: Purchase At Family Video $46.87 (99 cent shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Family Video $57.68 (99 cent shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At EB Games $59.99 (Free t-shirt and a $10 off coupon for Condemned 2)

Dungeon Explorer: Warrior of Ancient Arts Dev. Hudson Soft Pub. Konami Systems: DS, PSP MSRP: $29.99
(Deja Preview) Same name, different games. While the Gauntlet style dungeon crawl gameplay is consistent between the two, the DS version actually takes place centuries following the PSP version. The PSP version has you battling demons and monsters, while the DS version has you battling a legion of undead and automatons. Either way, beat down thousands of n'er-do-wells (and their places of residence) with up to two other human players as you master different fighting styles, upgrade your weapons, and need food badly. - ship

Best Deal:
Amazon is offering Dungeon Explorer: Warrior of Ancient Arts for $27 shipped.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $26.99 (Free shipping)
:ds: Purchase At Family Video $27.64 (99 cent shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Amazon $26.99 (Free shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Family Video $27.64 (99 cent shipping)

Dynasty Warriors 6 Dev. Omega Force Pub. Koei Systems: 360, PS3 MSRP: $59.99
Ironically enough, my scathing previews of the Dynasty Warriors series have become just as derivative as the material they're previewing. They have updated the graphics this time around, so I decided I'd update my font color to keep pace. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Dynasty Warriors 6.

:360: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping)
:360: Purchase At Family Video $57.68 (99 cent shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Family Video $57.68 (99 cent shipping)

FIFA Street 3 Dev. EA Canada Pub. Electronic Arts Systems: DS, 360, PS3 MSRP: $29.99, $49.99
Remember how lackluster NFL Tour was? Well, imagine if soccer could be equally as non-extreme and unappealing. Now imagine you are the person at EA greenlighting all these senseless games. Now tell yourself to stop it, for the love of God, just stop it. We don't need anymore simplified sports games that control poorly, lack depth, and are devoid of fun. If you're looking for a fun arcade-style soccer game, you are going to be much happier with Sega Soccer Slam or Super Mario Strikers. They might not have Ronaldinho, but at least they have enjoyment. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for FIFA Street 3.

:360: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)
:360: Purchase At Deep Discount $48.95 (Free shipping)
:ds: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:ds: Purchase At Family Video $27.94 (99 cent shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Deep Discount $48.95 (Free shipping)

Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection Dev. FarSight Studios Pub. Crave Entertainment Systems: PS2, PSP, Wii MSRP: $14.99-$29.99
Eight of the most memorable pinball tables are recreated for this new title featuring single-player, challenge mode, and multi-player. Four of the tables must be unlocked during gameplay, but Pinbot, Whirlwind, Funhouse, and Black Knight are (rumored to be) open from the start. The physics are supposed to be spot-on, and the Wii version features realistic controls by combining the Wii-mote and the Nunchuck. There are also periodic "achievements" earned by meeting certain goals on each table. All in all, a solid pinball title from the company that made solid pinball tables. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection.

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $14.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)
:ps2: Purchase At Deep Discount $13.99 (Free shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)
:psp: Purchase At Deep Discount $18.99 (Free shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Deep Discount $28.99 (Free shipping)

DS

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Dev. Capcom Pub. Capcom Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
It's the first Phoenix Wright game made specifically for the DS and it doesn't star good ol' Nick? Taking place seven years after the last game, Phoenix has been disbarred but still makes appearances, and his adopted daughter aids the new attorney on the block. With his trusty bracelet of truth, Apollo Justice is armed with new crime solving tricks including reenactments, the ability to perceive people's nervous habits, and all of the neat stuff you could do way back in the last mission of the first game. It looks to be just as much fun as the original games, but I must admit that I'm a bit saddened to not have Phoenix on the case this time around. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:ds: Purchase At Family Video $27.64 (99 cent shipping)

Wii

Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and Tower of Mirrors Dev. Level 5 Pub. Square Enix Systems: Wii MSRP: $49.99
First, Nintendo blessed us with Link's Crossbow Training, the Wii Zapper title with little to no story elements but lots of familiar foes to shoot. These fan-service titles are easy to develop, and can be pretty entertaining if you are a fan. Now, we get Dragon Quest Swords, a Wii-title that lets you hack-n-slash your favorite Dragon Quest baddies. If you're looking for gameplay depth, you're not going to find it here. There are some RPG elements thrown in (you can forge items, and there is an automated party system), but this title is more casual and less, well, Dragon Quest-ish. This title should be good for young, future RPG-lovers, hardcore gamers looking for some casual gameplay, or gamers who just plain love Dragon Quest. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and Tower of Mirrors.

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Family Video $48.07 (99 cent shipping)

Mx Vs. ATV Untamed Dev. Incinerator Games Pub. THQ Systems: Wii MSRP: $49.99
You can't tame this game. They tried with all their might to keep it on the PS2, but it would have none of it. So it has busted from its cage, and now everyone with a current gen system can remember what last gen's off-road racers looked and played like. Sure, there are plenty of different vehicles from ATV's to motocross bikes to monster trucks and a good variety and number of events. But if you've graduated to Motorstorm or Dirt or even Excite Truck already, there's really no reason to take this bumpy trip down memory lane. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for MX Vs. ATV Untamed.

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Deep Discount $48.99 (Free shipping)

Pimp My Ride Dev. Eutechnyx Pub. Activision Systems: Wii MSRP: $39.99
Finally, a Wii version of this game that I can play on the plasma in the back of my Hyundai Sante Fe while I'm ghostriding through the suburbs. I'm sure the year and a half wait for Wii controls will be worth it and that the Metacritic score will bust through that 40% barrier that the past versions couldn't roll by... Maybe if we got out and pushed? - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Pimp My Ride.

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Deep Discount $38.99 (Free shipping)

PS3

History Channel: Battle for the Pacific Dev. Cauldron Pub. Activision Systems: PS3 MSRP: $39.99
(Deja Preview) Hmmmm... it seems that there's now a whole separate genre called historic first-person shooters. You know, I just wasn't sure what to call this game until that term was invented. Anyway, this title puts you in the middle of historic battles that took place in the Pacific during World War II. Enough said. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for History Channel: Battle for the Pacific.

:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Deep Discount $38.99 (Free shipping)

PS2

Biathlon 2008 Dev. Pub. Conspiracy Systems: PS2 MSRP: $14.99
For those times when you can't decide whether you want to go cross country skiing or skeet shooting. Strap on the skis of your favorite biathelete whether that is Magdalena Neuner, Sven Fischer, or possibly even Billie Jean King. With up to 16 biatheletes on screen at one time it's sure to... still be quite boring. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Biathlon 2008.

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $14.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)

PSP

Need for Speed: ProStreet Dev. EA Black Box Pub. Electronic Arts Systems: PSP MSRP: $39.99
Much like the console versions, the EA Fun Police run rampant with this one as well by removing the in-game cop chases and open world environment and replacing them with a more legal league of track-based street racing. Add in a damage system that actually effects your cars performance and four-player online play, but also add in a scaled down upgrade system and really blurry high-speed graphics and I think we can all imagine the line of adequacy that this title treads. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Need for Speed: ProStreet.

:psp: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Deep Discount $38.95 (Free shipping)

PC

ArmA Gold Edition
Dev. Bohemia Interactive Studio Pub. Atari Systems: PC MSRP: $49.99
How did a combat simulation title get onto my list? This title contains ArmA: Armed Assault and ArmA: Queen’s Gambit. Both titles are first-person shooters and have gotten decent reviews on metacritic. What makes these titles different from your standard FPS is the open level design and modern warfare. I'm not too sure about the price point of $50. Sure, it's two games in one, but there's an ArmA 2 being released on the PC, 360, and PS3 sometime in 2008 with even better graphics. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for ArmA: Gold Edition.

:pc: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)
:pc: Purchase At Family Video $47.47 (99 cent shipping)

The Guild Universe Dev. 4Head Studios Pub. Dreamcatcher Interactive Systems: PC MSRP: $29.99
A compilation of The Guild 2, Europa 1400: The Guild, and a couple of expansion packs. This is a real-time strategy/role-playing/third-person action game set in the Middle Ages. Who's up for micro-managing some serfs? - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for The Guild Universe.

:pc: Purchase At EB Games $29.99

Mortimer Beckett and the Secrets of Spooky Manor Dev. Pub. Mumbo Jumbo Systems: PC MSRP: $19.99
There's no Wikipedia entry for Mortimer Beckett and the Secrets of Spooky Manor, which technically means it doesn't exist. But let's pretend that it does, and it's a downloadable PC title now available in box-form. Essentially, the game play is extreme eye-spy, where the gamer has to find items within the manor's 30 rooms. Some of these objects are pieces to a mysterious machine, others are pieces to other puzzles, and some are just junk. Either way, the screen shots look nice with good detail and lots of stuff to pick through. The cut scenes have a comic-book style and the overall animation is good. For $20, this title looks like a good buy. If you're unsure, you can download the trial version through most online gaming sites. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Mortimer Beckett and the Secrets of Spooky Manor.

:pc: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)

On The DL with the Shipwrecks

Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom Systems: Wii (NES) MSRP: $5
Well what do ya know, another Ninja Gaiden re-release in preparation for the upcoming games. In the third installment, avoid the Bio-Noid clone of Ryu and defeat the evil masterminds that have framed our hero for the murder of his girlfriend, Irene. It's a little more difficult than the prior two games and they've fiddled with the jumping mechanic, but with a little practice, perhaps it'll be the Bio-Noid who should have avoided you. - ship

Phantasy Star II Systems: Wii (Genesis) MSRP: $8
Fight lots of giant space bugs in this futuristic turn-based RPG that's fantastic with a "Ph". Wait, I'm a little unsure of how that whole "Ph" thing works. If you put it at the beggining of "fat" that turns a bad word into a good word, so if you put it at the beginning of "fantasy" does that mean this isn't really a fantasy or is the "Ph" more of an additive thing that makes the fantasy even better? Regardless, you might remember this as a game on the Sega Genesis Collection. You then might also remember that that collection includes numerous other space bugs that you can kill (and even games without space bugs if you're into those) for only $20. - ship

N+ Systems: 360 MSRP: $10
The original platform title, N, is a freeware PC-based game featuring a tiny ninja, gold pieces, and various lasers/bombs/Thwumps out to kill our small hero. Of course, the XBLA version will have updated graphics, achievements, and online multiplayer. Rumor has it that PSP and DS versions will also be available in the future. If you're interested (which you all should be), check out the trial version to try before you buy. – mrs. ship

Feedback:Did we miss a good sale on a game? Did we miss previewing a game completely? Well, the only way that everyone can know a better deal is out there is to let us know about it. Post deals you've found or games that we missed in the thread so that CAGs can make sure they are getting the absolute best prices on new releases.

Brought these over from the last thread because I did not see them before I posted the new one and figured I'd answer here.

[quote name='y2jedi']Not to beat a dead horse, but I was wondering if you had any insight to this DRM question. My son and I both got Zunes for Christmas. He decided to use some of the MS points to buy Alien Hominid under his gamertag on my console. Currently I'm on my 5th 360(I refer to him as Johnny #5). With your experience thus far, would I have a bigger DRM nightmare than you've had should Johnny #5 go the way of 1-4 ?

And a quick question for Mr. Ship.

Do you secretly hope your Memphis Tigers lose once before March Madness ?

Keep up the great work Ships ![/QUOTE]

As for the DRM issue, no, you should have the same level of headache as I do no matter which Xbox 360 you are on. As long as you are replacing them through Microsoft, they should have your serial numbers and be able to tell what content went to which serial number. Now if you've been buying stuff on all five of those consoles, it might be a migraine to try and trace back through all of that and get it all licensed to your latest 360.

And for Memphis, I don't really believe a loss would help them in the tournament, so I'd be perfectly happy if they stayed undefeated. They had a pretty good scare on Saturday and I think they learned everything from that they would have in a loss. I'm really only concerned with them being a #1 seed in the tournament though, and I think that even if they lose to Tennessee, that as long as they win out in C-USA, that they will be fine.

[quote name='DJSteel']loved Powerstone.. I sadly do not own a PSP to enjoy the collection. I've gone back and forth on whether or not to buy PixelJunk monsters..[/QUOTE]

PixelJunk is extremely addictive. I'd really recommend it to anyone that is even slightly interested in it, and it's a must-buy if you have someone that will play it with you.

Is this a different pinball collection from the Pinball: Hall of Fame game that already out there?

Can someone explain why the PSP verision is $5 more than the PS2 version, while the Wii version is $10 more than that?

N+ would have got me at 400 points.

hey Ship and mrs. ship. great show.

regarding the mako in mass effect, i felt EXACTLY the same way you do ship. i was like "what is everybody making such a big deal about?!?!"

however, i am now 60 hrs in, almost through my 3rd playthru on insane, and i can officialy say the mako SUCKS. they put too much emphasis on car combat in the game. still love the game tho. i think it might be the best ending in a video game i have ever seen. i would love to hear your thoughts when you finish it.

It's called a Mako, not a tank. And you own Hotel Dusk but haven't played it yet? Please do me a favor and at least play it for an hour before next week's show or at least after your done with Pirates! It's a detective driven adventure game with puzzles!

"It's just the guy going on the boat! 555-0001!!!"

lol ship! biathlon is actually REALLY popular here in sweden. its on tv ALL THE TIME. people cross country ski here like people used to jog for exercise back in L.A. don't know how good a game it would make tho.

o and get a zune subscription button for the show.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']Is this a different pinball collection from the Pinball: Hall of Fame game that already out there?[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is a new game with a lot of tables that I played when I was growing up.

[quote name='thorbahn3']It's called a Mako, not a tank.[/QUOTE]

Coincidentally, the basketball play I taught the 2nd & 3rd grade girls I coach is also called Mako (we're the Sharks). Similarly, they rarely go in the direction of my choosing. :)

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']Is this a different pinball collection from the Pinball: Hall of Fame game that already out there?[/QUOTE]

That was the Gottlieb version, this is the Williams version. New tables.

Also, why isn't the CAG Foreplay showing up on the main page for me? It was there earlier today.

Edit: Of course, it's up on the main page as soon as I finish typing.

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']That was the Gottlieb version, this is the Williams version. New tables.

Also, why isn't the CAG Foreplay showing up on the main page for me? It was there earlier today.

Edit: Of course, it's up on the main page as soon as I finish typing.[/QUOTE]

When we switched to the two server setup, there became a new procedure to post things to both servers, that I just learned two seconds ago. So depending on which server you were hitting before, you would either see it on the front page or not. Should be good from here on out though.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Your hatred of the DW games makes me cry...

DW6 is going to be awesome.[/QUOTE]

It looks to be a big improvement and I'm sure you'll enjoy Lu Buing it up.

I appreciate being informed about the Pinball collection, I didnt even realize it existed.

Also, I dont follow VC releases at all, but I just happen to be playing Phantasy Star 2 on the GBA Phantasy Star collection as we speak.

hrm, Sid Meier's Pirates was fun until my guy got old and the game ended suddenly. i never finished it. i don't like that unecessary timer in the game. maybe i'll revisit it in the future.

Btw Shippy, you have like 20-30 hours left in Mass Effect depending on how many sidequests you do, enjoy! :D

I am fascinated with The Club, the demo I thought was pretty good. i'll wait for a deal on it though.. thanks for the input on PixelJunk Monsters.. I'll add it to my backlog.

I enjoyed the show this morning, it was unfortunately seriously broken up by real work, silly issues that need resolution as soon as I get in...

I'm disappointed that mrs. ship hasn't gotten into Layton yet, but at least ship has. I bought it on the 10th and finished it on the 17th, having mostly played at nights and on the weekend days. I had taken it into work, but real work kept intervening. I didn't think the puzzles were especially difficult, and only 1 has me really buggered (the one with the apple picture needing re-arrangement). I thought maybe that they were "easy" was because I'm an engineer, but maybe it's just that I have a talent for useless crap. I still thought the game was fantastic, but for the moment, I'm done with it (I finished 119 of the 120 main puzzles and a handful of the bonus puzzles). I'm moving on to Phoenix Wright 3 and more of the Patapon demo--speaking of which, have you guys tried that one yet (Patapon)?

That pinball game actually sounds interesting, it's a classic example of a game I wouldn't know anything about without you guys, and is a part of why I really love the show. I'm not sure which version I'd get, probably PSP so I can play in places other than my living room...though it might be fun to play with the Wii-motes.

I'm surprised that the Biathlon game got a US release. Typically, games like that are released in Europe or Australia only (like how Aussie Rules football games don't get US releases).

Oh well. Great show as usual, and thanks for making my Wednesday morning slightly more bearable. :)

/tk

I appreciate you reading my comments on the show about culdcept. It wasn't an angry letter, I dont see the need to get upset about someone's opinion. Like I said before, I wish the game was an XBL game, but I believe the file size is too big. Love the show, keep it up, and it is Bob O Mallone, not Bobo Mallone, however that's still my fault for using the dumb name to begin with. Oh and Mrs. Shipwreck, my wife bought pirates upon you talking about it.

[quote name='bobomallone']I appreciate you reading my comments on the show about culdcept. It wasn't an angry letter, I dont see the need to get upset about someone's opinion. Like I said before, I wish the game was an XBL game, but I believe the file size is too big. Love the show, keep it up, and it is Bob O Mallone, not Bobo Mallone, however that's still my fault for using the dumb name to begin with. Oh and Mrs. Shipwreck, my wife bought pirates upon you talking about it.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad she bought it, it's a really fun game! The best thing about your comments are the information that came with them. I really appreciate the input, and it helps our listeners get the most information on the games being released. Thanks!

[quote name='terpkristin']I'm disappointed that mrs. ship hasn't gotten into Layton yet, but at least ship has. I bought it on the 10th and finished it on the 17th, having mostly played at nights and on the weekend days./tk[/QUOTE]

I promise to have played it by the next show :D I guess I could have used the new multi-quote function here, huh?

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Your hatred of the DW games makes me cry...

DW6 is going to be awesome.[/quote]

Rei you own every Koei game...ever?
Right?

[quote name='InuFaye']Rei you own every Koei game...ever?
Right?[/QUOTE]
Nope. I don't own that racing game they put out a little while ago. Don't even remember what it was called, but it was pure garbage.

Other than that, yes...

EDIT: Fatal Inertia!

[quote name='mrs. shipwreck']I promise to have played it by the next show :D I guess I could have used the new multi-quote function here, huh?[/quote]

Play Layton, in 5 minutes...or ELSE!

Ship

I remember you said you bought a Bravia LCD back a couple months ago.

Do you remember the Model?

I am also looking to getting a Bravia soon, and was just wondering what you thought of yours.

What's up, ships? Good job with the show as always!

Also, a quick question for your next show;

What was the first game the two of you ever played together? And do you still go back to it from time to time?

I think the game for me and my lady was Animal Crossing...

[quote name='InuFaye']Ship

I remember you said you bought a Bravia LCD back a couple months ago.

Do you remember the Model?

I am also looking to getting a Bravia soon, and was just wondering what you thought of yours.[/QUOTE]

I'm loving the Bravia. I've had no problems with it and everything looks amazing on it. The only thing I wish it had was a customizable labeling scheme for the inputs. It allows you to change them to predetermined entries like "Cable Box" or "Video Game", but labeling 3 or 4 of the inputs "Video Game" kind of defeats the purpose. I was surprised they didn't at least have Playstation as a choice.

Here's the model we have: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony...86582/catOid/-12869/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

[quote name='DJSteel']The Club got 8.5's in Game Informer..[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed the demo, just don't know if it will find an audience for $60.

[quote name='shipwreck']I enjoyed the demo, just don't know if it will find an audience for $60.[/quote]

I agree with you.. I also enjoyed the demo..I hope to pick it up soon..

i couldn't handle my gf or future wife playing as much games as i do..... i don't know why but i just like when girls play tetris or animal crossing and leave the hardcore games to the guys

Heya, Mr. and Mrs. Shipwreck. I enjoyed the show this week! It really helped pass the time while I was stuck heading home from work in bad traffic brought about by snowfall. I think that I would have gone insane otherwise.

Okay, so when are we going to start seeing some photos of the two of you in the recording studio? We've been able to put faces to the names with CheapyD and Wombat, but how about some current photos of the Shipwrecks in the "CAG Foreplay Studio"?

Or... will your true visual identities forever remain a mystery? Inquiring minds want to know!

[quote name='ShinAkumA21']i couldn't handle my gf or future wife playing as much games as i do..... i don't know why but i just like when girls play tetris or animal crossing and leave the hardcore games to the guys[/quote]

my wife plays diner dash, animal crossing and ms pacman.. nothing else...

Great show, Ships. Regarding the biathalon: Yes, it seems kind of silly at first blush, but when you think about it, it's a very sensible sport, seeing as it's actually based on a valuable combination of real world skills and is not a totally random combination of skills (like the Decathalon....or hell, like any of our major professional sports). For, people who live in rural areas where snow is frequent, being able to cross-country ski and hunt is a valuable skill. Back in the day, if you lived in these places and couldn't ski AND shoot, you probably weren't going to eat for 6 months out of the year. So I do have some respect for it as a sport, even if it's pretty boring to watch and probably even more so to play.

Mrs. Ship: In terms of your DS adventure game backlog, focus on Hotel Dusk and Professor Layton right now. These games are fantastic and engrossing and really should be played ASAP. Everything else on your list (Trace Memory, Touch Detective 2.5, etc.) is just meh and can wait until you don't have anything else on your docket.

[quote name='shipwreck']I'm loving the Bravia. I've had no problems with it and everything looks amazing on it. The only thing I wish it had was a customizable labeling scheme for the inputs. It allows you to change them to predetermined entries like "Cable Box" or "Video Game", but labeling 3 or 4 of the inputs "Video Game" kind of defeats the purpose. I was surprised they didn't at least have Playstation as a choice.

Here's the model we have: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony...86582/catOid/-12869/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do[/quote]

I got the Sony Bravia XBR (model KDL-52XBR4), and what ship noticed with his is the same for mine. I was REALLY surprised not to see some version of Playstation as a choice to label the inputs. Though the "Game" icon does look like a PS2 controller...

Regardless of size and really of model, I think if you get a Bravia, you're getting uber quality.

/tk

my first Foreplay...not bad though I was browsing online while listening so >_>

oh and do the shipwrecks have any games post next-gn (including handhelds) on backlogs? I just beat Super Mario Sunshine (and I got it within weeks of release)

great show guys... Honestly, I had not been feeling Foreplay for quite a while, but the last several shows have been very entertaining and informative. i really like that you guys just jumped right in on this one. Thanks for sticking with it and making the show better and better all the time. You've got a dedicated listener from now on! (the wife likes the show a lot more now too)...

Thanks!

Did I miss an announcement saying that there would be no show this week? I was looking forward to something to listen to tomorrow at work while doing a very mindless task... :(

/tk

[quote name='terpkristin']Did I miss an announcement saying that there would be no show this week? I was looking forward to something to listen to tomorrow at work while doing a very mindless task... :(

/tk[/QUOTE]

Sorry, running a little behind this week. Looks like it will be up Thursday morning. This was my last week of Monday night basketball practice though, so we should be able to keep the Tuesday schedule up a little easier. Don't worry though, they'll be a show this week as we already have everything written up.

[quote name='shipwreck']Sorry, running a little behind this week. Looks like it will be up Thursday morning. This was my last week of Monday night basketball practice though, so we should be able to keep the Tuesday schedule up a little easier. Don't worry though, they'll be a show this week as we already have everything written up.[/quote]

Hey, I'm just glad I'm getting it. :) I'll happily take late over never. ;)

/tk

So, we might not have a show after all this week. We definitely have one recorded, but the sound quality is terrible for some reason. I'm trying to fix it, but I don't have high hopes at this point. We'll at least release the written version if nothing else.

Booo...

At least post a forum link if you don't feel it's quality enough for iTunes or the site because of sound issues.

A recorded video game podcast is a terrible thing to waste.

This show continues to fail me. I dont think you guys have had a show On-Time since you started. I dont understand why you cant get it together. cagcast is always on time or at the most 1 day late, so i would think cags expect the same for any other show on the site.

PS - You dont need to start every show by saying your her husband. Im pretty sure most people would figure that from saying MR and MRS shipwreck.

[quote name='tsg2005']This show continues to fail me. I dont think you guys have had a show On-Time since you started. I dont understand why you cant get it together. cagcast is always on time or at the most 1 day late, so i would think cags expect the same for any other show on the site.

PS - You dont need to start every show by saying your her husband. Im pretty sure most people would figure that from saying MR and MRS shipwreck.[/QUOTE]

We try to get these out on Tuesdays, but you have to realize that we both have fulltime jobs, I have been coaching a girls basketball team 2 days a week, the Mrs. often is on call, and sometimes we just like to relax and play games. It may not seem like it, but it takes a lot of time to research all of these games, write up previews, search for prices, get everything in the proper format, put together an outline, actually play games, record a show, edit a show, format the mp3's, post the mp3's, and post the show and write-ups on CAG. It's certainly not just a sit down and record and then we're done sort of affair.

I'm not saying that we don't enjoy doing it, because we do, but it's a hobby and if we let a strict schedule around it dictate the rest of our lives, it would quickly become less fun. That being said, I no longer have a Monday night commitment, so shows should regularly come out on Tuesdays for awhile.

Thanks for listening though, and I may take your advice on the "husband" thing. We'd certainly like the show to come out on a regular day every week though, so we'll do our best to make that happen as well.

[quote name='tsg2005']This show continues to fail me. I dont think you guys have had a show On-Time since you started. I dont understand why you cant get it together. cagcast is always on time or at the most 1 day late, so i would think cags expect the same for any other show on the site.

PS - You dont need to start every show by saying your her husband. Im pretty sure most people would figure that from saying MR and MRS shipwreck.[/quote]

Jesus...Get over it. I'm going to go waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out on a limb here and assume that you're still in school, don't have a family, aren't holding down a full-time job, and don't have a mortgage or any of the other real-world responsibilities that must be tended before the time opens up to do things like crank out a podcast for ungrateful toads like yourself.

How exactly do the Ships owe anything to you? Are you paying for their services? Of course not. They're doing this in their free time for their own enjoyment, not out of obligation to you or anyone else. If the show angers you so much, move on to something else that doesn't aggravate you so much.

bread's done
Back