CAG Foreplay #63: Over... Shoot Him... Over

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
[preview][img-l=1]2[/img-l]CAG's shipwreck & mrs. shipwreck preview the new releases for the week of July 14th, 2009. Retail releases are slim this week, but we get a glimpse at what the future holds with a hearty sampling of downloadable games.

Special thanks to GoDaddy.com for providing CAG Foreplay listeners with a code for domain names for only $7.49 a year. Just enter code "GAMER1" when you check out to get your savings.

[podcast]74[/podcast]
Download - 50 minutes, 46MB
[/preview]

You can now subscribe to Foreplay on iTunes by clicking this link: CAG Foreplay on iTunes

You can also contact us with any questions or comments at [email protected] or [email protected].

Multi-Platform

[IMG-L=5137]8031[/IMG-L]NCAA Football 10 Dev. EA Tiburon Pub. Electronic Arts Systems: PS2, PSP, 360, PS3 MSRP: $39.99, $59.99
Otherwise known as the melting pot of college football "xperiences".

:360: Purchase At Amazon $53.99 (Free Shipping)
:360: Purchase At Best Buy $59.99 (Free 3 Month Xbox Live Arcade Kit with in-store purchase using Reward Zone Coupon)
:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free Shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $53.99 (Free Shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free Shipping)

[IMG-L=5137]8032[/IMG-L]Science Papa Dev. Activision Pub. Activision Systems: DS, Wii MSRP: $19.99, $29.99
Mama's in the kitchen, Papa's in the lab. So I'm positive this is another mini-game collection, but I'm uncertain if it ends with one in the graveyard and one in the pen.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free Shipping on Orders over $25)
:wii: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free Shipping)

Wii

[IMG-L=5137]8028[/IMG-L]Birthday Party Bash Dev. Take 2 Interactive Pub. 2K Play Systems: Wii MSRP: $39.99
Classic kids' party games frosted over with a gooey layer of Duncan Hines branding.

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free Shipping)

DS

[IMG-L=5137]8035[/IMG-L]DinoPets Dev. Destineer Pub. Destineer Systems: DS MSRP: $19.99
Raise and care for 101 different dinosaurs. This may end badly. In the legendary words of the dearly departed Jeff Goldblum, Destineer's "scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should".

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free Shipping on Orders over $25)

[IMG-L=5137]8033[/IMG-L]Sherlock Holmes: Mystery of the Mummy Dev. Frogwares Pub. Dreamcatcher Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
I detect a graphical adventure that mixes a little bit of Trace Memory with a healthy dose of 7th Guest.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $27.99 (Free Shipping)

On The DL

[IMG-L=5137]8064[/IMG-L]Ant Nation Dev. Konami Pub. Konami Systems: WiiWare MSRP: $7
Give it a go as an ant farmhand or simply torture your pet pests in this oddball simulation.

[IMG-L=5137]8065[/IMG-L]Bit Boy!! Dev. Bplus Pub. Bplus Systems: WiiWare MSRP: $6
Starting a game out in the "4-bit" era and ending it in the "128 bit" era is an intriguing concept, but the main character being a cube just isn't resonating with me.

[IMG-L=5137]8066[/IMG-L]Incoming! Dev. JV Games Pub. JV Games Systems: WiiWare MSRP: $5
From the makers of "Frat Party Games: Pong Toss" comes this tank trajectory game with a bit of "Missile Command" dropped in.

[IMG-L=5137]8067[/IMG-L]Pulseman Dev. Game Freak Pub. SEGA Systems: Wii Virtual Console (Genesis) MSRP: $9
Anxious to get his name back out there before the Vitality Sensor hits, Pulseman is a Japanese import that combines elements from Mega Man and Sonic the Hedgehog.

[IMG-L=5137]8069[/IMG-L]Secret Command Dev. SEGA Pub. SEGA Systems: Wii Virtual Console (Master System) MSRP: $6
Okay, so let me get the licensing straight on this one. Secret Command originally came out in North America as Rambo: First Blood Part II, but because it would require more money to purchase that license, it's coming out as an import. So you are charging me an extra dollar "import fee" to take Rambo out of my Rambo game. Mission... accomplished.

[IMG-L=5137]8068[/IMG-L]Brain Challenge Dev. Gameloft Pub. Gameloft Systems: DSiWare MSRP: $8
Again.

[IMG-L=5137]8029[/IMG-L]Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman! What Did I Do to Deserve This? Dev. Ride On Pub. NIS America Systems: PSP MSRP: $???
There's a little bit of Dig Dug-gery in this quirky strategy title that has you burrowing out new dungeons to keep the trespassing heroes at bay.

[IMG-L=5137]8049[/IMG-L]Myst Dev. Hoplite Research Pub. Cyan Worlds Systems: PSP MSRP: $???
Every time another version of "Brain Challenge" is released another version of "Myst" must also be released, lest the balance between them be thrown off and the world hurled violently off its axis.

[IMG-L=5137]8034[/IMG-L]Unbound Saga Dev. Vogster Pub. SCEA Systems: PSP MSRP: $???
Play as Rick Ajax or Lori Machete in this comic book brawler that takes a page or two out of Comix Zone's book.

[IMG-L=5137]8030[/IMG-L]Madballs in Babo: Invasion Dev. Playbrains Pub. Playbrains Systems: XBLA MSRP: $15
Sure I have nostalgia for that ratty Mummy Madball I had as a kid, but I'm also intrigued by playing this third-person shooter as a dual-machine-gun-wielding Avatar head.

[IMG-L=5137]8041[/IMG-L]The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition Dev. LucasArts Entertainment Pub. LucasArts Entertainment Systems: XBLA MSRP: $10
The classic swashbuckling of Guybrush Threepwood is retold with new hi-def graphical adventuring. Also includes low-def graphical adventuring.

[IMG-L=5137]8125[/IMG-L]Le Tour de France 2009: The Official Game Dev. Cyanide Pub. Focus Home Entertainment Systems: XBLA MSRP: $10
For when you virtually want to to ride your bicycle. For when you virtually want to ride your bike. It's kind of like Paperboy, but without those pesky breakdancers. Also, you aren't delivering papers.

Did we miss a good sale on a game? Did we miss previewing a game completely? Well, the only way that everyone can know a better deal is out there is to let us know about it. Post deals you've found or games that we missed in the thread so that CAGs can make sure they are getting the absolute best prices on new releases.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to do a double-take when I read the title of this thread. I'm still shocked that you guys actually put out a show! Thanks and keep up the great work you two!

So, I am just at the "publicity" section of the podcast, and I am getting a bit irritated. Mrs. Shipwreck is actually the one that is irritating me.

It is not publication when I have a game in my DS. It is most likely closed, turned off, and in my backpack/at home. Someone would have to either ask me what game I have in my DS currently (how often does that happen in real life?) or someone is opening my DS to see what I have. The only time that just having a game in my system is publicizing is when I play a game on my 360 or PS3, because my friends online can see what game it is.

I agree with Shipwreck, and I do not think he was being an idiot. What do you guys think?

Otherwise, I am very happy that Foreplay is back. I really do love the show.

Talk about small world I didn't know you lived that close. I live in West Chester and went to Lakota. Might have to stop by on Saturday. I remember you came into GameCrazy in Forest Park when I worked there. Crazy.

Its been a while but I have run into shipwreck in the pass during deal hunting in the Cincinnati area. I really enjoy these segments.

The problem with your reviews, Shipwreck. Is that I don't care about any of the reviews you wrote. I realize that popular games are widely reviewed, However I want to hear what YOU have to say about Madden 10.

I love the audio form of the shipwrecks, because of all the side banter included in the podcast and it is hard to get that in a written review.Like this week with the free publicity debate and mrs.ship called ship stupid then like 3 minutes later she didnt get there was no part rambo game. just my 2 cents.

[quote name='paintball745']I love the audio form of the shipwrecks, because of all the side banter included in the podcast and it is hard to get that in a written review.Like this week with the free publicity debate and mrs.ship called ship stupid then like 3 minutes later she didnt get there was no part rambo game. just my 2 cents.[/QUOTE]

Yea exactly!

More foreplay please.
And video reviews > written reviews

Glad to have the two of you back.

Personally, I really like the audio Foreplay podcast. As mentioned before, you don't get the fun banter in written form. And frankly, you can find reviews for any game on the internet already.

About your wifi idea, isn't that more or less what Metal Gear Portable Ops did?

I never played it, but wasnt that the hook? Or was she suggesting more of a passive thing?

CAG's shipwreck & mrs. shipwreck preview the new releases for the week
signature_deepthakur.jpg
:)

Glad the Shipwrecks are back. The CAG Foreplay podcast was greatly missed in my podcast rotation. It's the only gaming podcast I'll let my kids listen to (sorry Wombat, but CheapyD is rated "R" too often.)

[quote name='DietPoopSoda']So, I am just at the "publicity" section of the podcast, and I am getting a bit irritated. Mrs. Shipwreck is actually the one that is irritating me.

It is not publication when I have a game in my DS. It is most likely closed, turned off, and in my backpack/at home. Someone would have to either ask me what game I have in my DS currently (how often does that happen in real life?) or someone is opening my DS to see what I have. The only time that just having a game in my system is publicizing is when I play a game on my 360 or PS3, because my friends online can see what game it is.

I agree with Shipwreck, and I do not think he was being an idiot. What do you guys think?

Otherwise, I am very happy that Foreplay is back. I really do love the show.[/QUOTE]

I don't think Shipwreck is an idiot, but he did miss Mrs. Shipwreck's point. If you have a game in your DS all the time to pick up free stuff, or if you are constantly swapping an older game back in to get updates, it is a form of word-of-mouth publicity (if people ask about it) or constant brand recognition type publicity.

The game I think that has done this the most for me is "The World Ends with You." I beat the game, but since the game allows for pin points to collect while the game is off, I am popping the game back into my DS everyday just to take advantage of the points to upgrade my pins. Now, if a new game comes out by "the people who made TWEWY" or if a review says a new game is similar to TWEWY, I'm going to be all over that game just because of the fun I had with the game, and that it is in constant use by me.

So, if a new game finds a continual home in my DS for the purposes of collecting off of Wi-Fi, or just needing to be in a rotation, I think it is a form of publicity. Not direct marketing type publicity, but the game can continually draw attention.

I don't think Shipwreck is an idiot, far from it. But, it was hilarious to hear Mrs. S call him an idiot.

All in all, another great podcast, I just want more.

I will listen to the show no matter what the format. But it needs to be audio for sure. I look forward to every Foreplay!

Had the dual pleasure of having you guys back on the air and the show opening with music from one of my favorite games of all time. I was a little shocked that neither of you had played it. You definitely should, since I know both of you (especially Mrs. Ship) are fans of point-and-click adventures. Being an adventure game fan and not having played The Secret of Monkey Island is a bit like being a fan of science fiction films and not having seen Star Wars! Same goes for the second and third games in that series...really all the LucasArts adventures from that period.

I sincerely hope you guys keep doing the show. I like the writeups, but it's the podcast that I really look forward to. One idea I had to make it easier on you guys AND Cheapy and Wombat is maybe to institute a weekly rotation, so that there'd be a Foreplay one week and CAGcast the next. Just a thought.

I have to totally agree with you Shipwreck, I would rather hear about games that I normally wouldn't hear about. I'd rather hear about a game that not many others are reviewing. PLEASE keep on reviewing the not so popular games, most people are going to buy madden/killzone/gears games anyways, why waste the time reviewing them.

[quote name='shajek']

I don't think Shipwreck is an idiot, far from it. But, it was hilarious to hear Mrs. S call him an idiot.

All in all, another great podcast, I just want more.[/QUOTE]

first, i don't think ship's an idiot either. who's watching over you when you play portable games in public anyways. Second, i don't THINK calling him an idiot is very nice. I do not approve. Thirdly, if you guys are not going to do a podcast with any regularity, don't bother, IMHO.

I've gotten a few messages asking about the Game Junkie Summer Gamecation event that is going on this weekend, and I realized I was an idiot and didn't post the link with the info.

So, for those interested: www.gamejunkie.com

I've gotten a few messages asking about the Game Junkie Summer Gamecation event that is going on this weekend, and I realized I was an idiot and didn't post the link with the info.

So, for those interested: www.gamejunkie.com

I don't remember hearing about a new podcast starting up on CAG, though I'm not sure how this one's at #63 already. :whistle2:k

Myst, Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman!, and Unbound Saga are $20, $20, and $15 respectively. There's also Namco Museum Essentials for PSN for $10 and then one of the Spec Ops games as the PS1 "Classic" for this week.

I bought Ikaruga after being able to get through the first stage in the demo on Easy, which is all I need to know that I can enjoy a difficult shmup. Most of the achievements are basic things like beating each of the stages and getting an A or A+ score on each of the levels, which can all be done on easy. So as long as you can get good on easy, you should be able to get a few of them. Online/offline co-op should be fun at least if you can get someone that's at least as good as you are to play with you.

I think it's fine simplifying things because I think you guys somehow got into a groove with doing a bit more work than was necessary when you're just talking about the new releases. We don't need a book report on each game, so just say as much as you need to say and move on to the next game.

The wifi discovery thing was in Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, where you gained a new soldier for your squad when you found new wifi hot spots.

I think you're an evil deity that acts with a scythe as your cursor in Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman, as that's what the overlord calls you at the beginning of the game.

Good show.

Even though I don't have a DS, if I see someone playing in public, I do usually pay attention to see if I recognize what they're playing. If I did have a DS, then that might just be -- ohmygosh -- free advertising.

Glad to have the Ships back, even if it's intermittent. I like the banter.

Oh Ship, since Ron Workman is so near to your location, maybe you could talk to him about the review system. Cheapy made it sound like Workman was really ... worked up about the scale or something silly.

[quote name='Curufinwe']Mrs. Shipwreck has a cute voice.

Just sayin'.[/QUOTE]

+1

I personally like the mix of the podcast, written and video reviews. Do all three but on Foreplay if you're talking about a game thats just been released and you've reviewed it only lightly talk about it then just direct the listeners to the site.

[quote name='Tybee'] I sincerely hope you guys keep doing the show. I like the writeups, but it's the podcast that I really look forward to. One idea I had to make it easier on you guys AND Cheapy and Wombat is maybe to institute a weekly rotation, so that there'd be a Foreplay one week and CAGcast the next. Just a thought.[/QUOTE]

Terrible idea. I must have my weekly CAGcast.

[quote name='saunderscowie']"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die. "[/QUOTE]

Congrats on having a superb quote in your sig. All you need is an origami unicorn for your avatar.

[quote name='tcolberg']Terrible idea. I must have my weekly CAGcast.

Congrats on having a superb quote in your sig. All you need is an origami unicorn for your avatar.[/QUOTE]

Isn't Deckard enough?

[quote name='tcolberg']Terrible idea. I must have my weekly CAGcast.[/QUOTE]

Well, me too. But I was trying to be magnanimous.

[quote name='saunderscowie']Isn't Deckard enough?[/QUOTE]

Oops, I didn't look close enough. From the lighting of that picture, I thought it was Clive Owen.

[quote name='Tybee']Well, me too. But I was trying to be magnanimous.[/QUOTE]

Don't let magnanimity let you make suggestions that we might all regret! CAGForeplay being bi-weekly might be fine, but CAGcast must be weekly.

I like the written and video reviews but it can't substitute your podcast. Part of the enjoyment of podcasts no matter the subject is the people who do them. If I don't like the personalities of the show, then I don't bother. I like the interaction between you two. It's also fun to hear you discuss and joke about games that aren't typically covered by anyone else. I never would have heard about a game like Treasure Island otherwise.

[quote name='tcolberg']Don't let magnanimity let you make suggestions that we might all regret! CAGForeplay being bi-weekly might be fine, but CAGcast must be weekly.[/QUOTE]

I was a fool. Thank you for helping me see the error of my ways! ;)

Nice to hear you guys again. To me, the essence of the Foreplay is the podcast. I've gotten the feeling from listening to your first shows that before I started frequenting CAG, that someone did the weekly write-ups and that it got passed on to you which then developed into the podcast. Even if that is the origin story of Foreplay, to me, the part that is most interesting is the podcast. I can take it with me anywhere I want to go and listen while doing almost anything, so there's my two cents - podcast is supreme.

About the heated discussion on publicity, wasn't the real problem that you were not talking about Treasure World any more and Mrs. Shipwreck thought you were? I think that's where the whole publicity thing came from.

Wait.... so there's a new Foreplay but no new CAGcast? What the hell is oing on here!? Did CAG just up and move to Bizzaro World.... /Canadia?

I enjoy listening to you guys. I prefer to listen to anything over reading it as I can listen while working and still get work done. Keep em coming, getting reviews on games are always good specially when I can listen to it :D

bread's done
Back