CAG Foreplay: New Releases (5/1/07) - Retail Schmetail Edition

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
CAG's shipwreck & mrs. shipwreck preview the new releases for the week of May 1st, 2007. This week we cover Spider-Man 3 and the rest of the not so super games. Is it just me, or are the downloadable games tending to be a lot more appealing than the retail releases?

7 Wonders Dev. Hot Lava Games Pub. MumboJumbo Systems: PSP MSRP: $19.99
Warning: this game will try and teach you something about history. Other than that, the current online previews are amazingly vague regarding gameplay and include phrases like "journey where no one alive has ever gone before" and "time is short and the journey is filled with peril" and "7 Wonders of the Ancient World is a puzzle game for PSP". Keep these things in mind before you spend your $20. Or maybe find someone who doesn't read CAG Foreplay, borrow his or her copy (or play the online PC game), and fill us in on what this game is. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for 7 Wonders.

:psp: Purchase At EB Games $19.99

Heatseeker Dev. IR Gurus Pub. Codemasters Systems: PS2, Wii MSRP: $29.99, $49.99
Heatseeker is a blend of arcade and flight sim combat that features a cast of modern jets and a payload worth of who-the-Hell-cares. These PS2/PSP/Wii offerings aren't exactly pushing the limits of any of the systems as poor graphics and lack of depth seem to be the common thread. If you absolutely must feed the need for speed, the Wii version seems to be slightly less sub-par as the Wii-controls work well. And let's face it: if you are looking to buy games for your Wii, lack of depth hasn't stopped you so far. Oh, and don't worry about having a second Wiimote handy as the face-melting action is confined to solo play. After all, who would want to play a flight combat game with a friend or two? - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Heatseeker.

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:wii: Purchase At EB Games $49.99

Legend of the Dragon Dev. Neko Entertainment Pub. The Game Factory Systems: PSP, Wii MSRP: $29.99
Apparently, this game is based on an animated television series that I've never heard of. It's also got the PS2/PSP/Wii development trifecta going for it, so you know the quality bar is set at world-record height from the get-go. Punch, kick, and throw enemies of various difficulties in 8 different modes until you've reached the ultimate goal of resolving a conflict of some sort. I'm sure it's all very satisfying. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Legend of Dragon. Family Video will save you about a $1 on the PS2 version.

:ps2: Purchase At Family Video $27.04 (99 cent shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)

Spider-Man 3 Dev. Treyarch Pub. Activision Systems: Everything MSRP: $29.99-$69.99
Unlike most movie tie-ins, the Spider-Man games have actually been decent and offered up a few hours of fun. Something about this one has me worried though. Maybe it's the lack of previews/reviews, maybe it's the upwards of $70 price tag for a game we all know might be adequate but not great, or maybe it's that I'm just not as stoked about the movie this time around. As a huge Spidey fan, something just seems off. Regardless, I'm sure most of us will end up playing one version or another of this game and it will dominate the sales charts. Whether you choose to sling webs with the Wii-mote, opt for the extra content in the Sony exclusive Collector's Editions, or manage by with one of the standard versions, it's Spider-Man - you're going to play it. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any... who am I kidding. Everyone wants you to buy Spider-Man 3 from them. Just check out the list and pick your favorite.

:360: Purchase At Family Video $53.99 (99 cent shipping)
:360: See speedy1961's Target Ad $59.99 (Free exclusive comic)
:360: See speedy1961's Circuit City Ad $59.99 (Free Spider-Man 2 Video Game)
:360: See speedy1961's Best Buy Ad $59.99 (Free $10 in Concession Cash)
:360: See fidodido's Fry's Ad $54.99 (Free Spider-Man 3 Poster)
:ds: Purchase At Family Video $26.99 (99 cent shipping)
:ds: See speedy1961's Target Ad $29.99 (Free exclusive comic)
:ds: See speedy1961's Circuit City Ad $24.99
:gba: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:gba: See speedy1961's Target Ad $29.99 (Free exclusive comic)
:ps2: Purchase At Family Video $35.99 (99 cent shipping)
:ps2: See speedy1961's Target Ad $39.99 (Free exclusive comic)
:ps2: See speedy1961's Circuit City Ad $39.99 (Free Spider-Man 2 Video Game)
:ps2: See speedy1961's Best Buy Ad $39.99 (Free $10 in Concession Cash)
:ps3: Purchase At Family Video $53.99 (99 cent shipping)
:ps3: See speedy1961's Target Ad $59.99 (Free exclusive comic)
:ps3: See speedy1961's Circuit City Ad $59.99 (Free Spider-Man 2 Video Game)
:ps3: See speedy1961's Best Buy Ad $59.99 (Free $10 in Concession Cash)
:ps3: See speedy1961's Best Buy Ad $59.99 (Free $10 in Concession Cash)
:ps3: See fidodido's Fry's Ad $54.99 (Free Spider-Man 3 Poster)
:ps3: Purchase At Family Video $67.30 (Collector's Edition) (99 cent shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Family Video $35.99 (99 cent shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Family Video $44.99 (99 cent shipping)
:wii: See speedy1961's Target Ad $49.99 (Free exclusive comic)
:wii: See speedy1961's Circuit City Ad $49.99 (Free Spider-Man 2 Video Game)
:wii: See speedy1961's Best Buy Ad $49.99 (Free $10 in Concession Cash)

Ultimate Board Game Collection Dev. Jack of All Games Pub. Valcon Games Systems: PSP MSRP: $29.99
At first glance, this game seems pretty self-explanatory. There are several features that make this a good title to pick-up. First, there are twenty board games included: Chess, Quatro, Checkers, Enigma, Backgammon, Reversi, Snakes & Ladders, Naval Battle, Parcheesi, Dice, Dominoes, Go, Chinese Checkers, Word Cubes, Mahjong Solitaire, Anagrams, Concentration, 3D Tic-Tac-Toe, Mancala and Jigsaws. The coolest feature in this game will appeal to us PSP-owning achievement whores: each game has a "secret" trophy that you earn by meeting a specific goal. So, unlocking all twenty trophies will give you a reason to play all twenty games. The main downfall to this game is the price. It seems more like a $19.99 title than a $29.99 title, so save your money. For the extra ten bucks, they should have figured out a way to make the PSP jump up at you like the real Concentration game does when time runs out. Otherwise, what's the point? - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
Family Video will save you a buck on Ultimate Board Games. Woohoo.

:psp: Purchase At Family Video $27.64 (99 cent shipping)

Winx Club: Join The Club Dev. Konami Pub. Konami Systems: PSP MSRP: $29.99
First off, if you're not an eight-year-old girl and you want to buy this game, I highly suggest ordering it online to save face. The only thing that could make this game appear girlier is if it spewed colored glitter at random. This game is based on an animated TV series that Konami claims "combines magic, fashion and action to create a must have game for girls of all ages!" All kidding aside, the game offers mini games, interactive environments, and characters geared towards the 6-11 age group. Fans of this franchise should know that the screenshots available look pixilated and dated for a PSP title. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Winx.

:psp: Purchase At Amazon $29.82 (Free shipping)

On The DL with the Shipwrecks

Castlevania Systems: Wii MSRP: $5
It was a glorious day at the flea market when young shipwreck talked the parental shipwrecks into buying a cart only Castlevania with Xeroxed instruction manual. Countless hours were spent whipping candles into submission and recoiling off of skeletons to an uncontrollable death that waited below. Perseverance paid off though and I eventually saved the world from Dracula once and for all. You could do a lot worse for $5 on the VC, but fans of the newer RPG-infused Castlevania's may find the original a bit lacking (and your $5 doesnít get you a Xeroxed instruction manual). - ship

Catan Systems: 360 MSRP: $10
Hexagonal turn-based strategy hits XBLA this week in the digital form of geek-favorite Settler's of Catan. I know there are quite a few CAGs that have been waiting for this one, and, since I'm not a big strategy gamer, I'm sure to misstep quickly here and have no idea what I'm talking about. So from what I can tell, you build up resources and then proceed to completely humiliate me on Live. It's supposed to be easy to learn, but I'm sure I can nip that in the bud come Wednesday. - ship

Centipede/Millipede Systems: 360 MSRP: $5
I have to give them kudos for not trying to double-dip on these classic shooters. I definitely put a quarter or two in these machines twenty-odd years ago, and they still carry a good bit of nostalgia for me, so I'm sure this will be a late night purchase after a few pints of Guinness. Now where is my wireless rollerball controller? - ship

Calling All Cars Systems: PS3 MSRP: $10
David Jaffe, the man behind God of War, brings us this fast-paced, entertaining, multi-player, cops-n-robbers title that looks to be a great PS3 online title. The animation style is cartoonish and the storyline puts the gamer behind the wheel of multiple vehicles as a bounty hunter. The gameplay ranges from demolition-style to classic arcade, and for only $10, this title looks entertaining enough to be worth every penny. Buyers beware: IGN gave this game an 8.5, while Gamespot gave it a 6.7, citing a lack of content. What do they expect for an online title? An add-on pack? - mrs. ship

Legend of the Mystical Ninja Systems: Wii MSRP: $8
Goemon's first North American effort is a combination adventure/platformer with a sense of humor. That's pretty much all I've got as I've never played this one. Well, he's got blue hair, he's a ninja, and I remember somewhat enjoying the little bit of time I spent with one of his Nintendo 64 games. I know that the Goemon games have a small following, but I've heard good things about the series, so maybe now's the time to give them a shot. - ship

Shockman Systems: Wii MSRP: $6
The Japanese title for Shockman, "Kaizou Choujin Schbibinman 2: Arata Naru Teki", roughly translates to Run Jump Shoot 2: Electric Boogaloo Giant Robot. Consider this game a little like Gunstar Heroes, but without the fanbase or high level of excellence. It supports two player co-op and an infinite amount of forget-ability. - ship

Did we miss a good sale on a game? Did we miss previewing a game completely? Well, the only way that everyone can know a better deal is out there is to let us know about it. Post deals you've found or games that we missed in the thread so that CAGs can make sure they are getting the absolute best prices on new releases.

I feel the same way about Spider Man 3...maybe it's all the overexposure hype surrounding the movie? Either way I just can't get excited about it or any other of the new releases this week.

I do wonder what you two are going to do between October and December when just about all the games slated to come out in 2007 are going to drop. That will be a fun time doing write ups for sure. ;)

Does a free copy of Spider-Man 2 come with the DS version as well at Circuit City? I was already considering getting it since it would be $5 cheaper, but if it comes with a free game too then that's a no brainer. I think the ad says the free copy only comes with the PS2, PS3, 360, and Wii versions, though.

[quote name='Rockgamer']Does a free copy of Spider-Man 2 come with the DS version as well at Circuit City? I was already considering getting it since it would be $5 cheaper, but if it comes with a free game too then that's a no brainer. I think the ad says the free copy only comes with the PS2, PS3, 360, and Wii versions, though.[/QUOTE]

You may be right about that. Now that I look at speedy's ad a little closer it looks like you don't get the free Spider-Man 2 with the DS version.

[quote name='JEKKI']didnt Devilish for NDS come out this week too?!?!?!

dang where's the love???[/QUOTE]

We previewed that one a couple of weeks ago. It seems to be on the list every week.

ah man... i was looking forward to a photo of little shipwreck in a spider man costume, or covered in spiders, or at least playing with some Wink dolls...

bread's done
Back