CAG Fund for Child's Play 2012 Charity Raffle: $38K+ Raised, Winners Posted!

Just put in a little more. It's nice to have goals, but everything we donate will help a lot of kids get through a rough time a little easier, so it's a win even if we don't beat last year.

Also, it's fun to see who will have won my donations for this year :D They're ready to ship out!

[quote name='CheapyD']Lets extend till 2/1 so I can get some Twitch promotion in. Will update the OP shortly.[/QUOTE]

hey can you give money pass this date.. forgot about it till now tossed in a little might toss in a little more but probally wont make the cut off of feb 1

Is this the last extension or will it keep going until we hit the goal? I mean usually "raffles" have to end at some point... But Anyway I'm glad knowing I helped out a bit with money and giving to the raffle.

These constant extension are kinda sad in the fact that it's a reminder how we're sturggling to hit last years milestone. Still, glad we did :D

[quote name='UNDERSTAR']I'd donated $5. Anything is better than nothing. Hope it helps.[/QUOTE]

to your picture

DONT DO IT DONT DO IT IT'S ONLY 5 DOLLAR"S

[quote name='katzd2007']I find it funny that this keeps getting extended. I think the real prize is the Cheapy awards before June.[/QUOTE]

lol

Really? Another extension? At what point do we just sort of realize that it's not going to happen? I don't mean to be rude, but at a certain point, the "2012 Charity Raffle" sort of loses its meaning/significance when we're headstrong into February of 2013. There's honestly a time to just pull the plug and be happy with the amount raised. Sometimes it really is just the economy.

[quote name='boagman']really? Another extension? At what point do we just sort of realize that it's not going to happen? I don't mean to be rude, but at a certain point, the "2012 charity raffle" sort of loses its meaning/significance when we're headstrong into february of 2013. There's honestly a time to just pull the plug and be happy with the amount raised. Sometimes it really is just the economy.[/quote]

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Extending it has nothing to do with CAG meeting a goal. It has everything to do with CheapyD wanting us to donate as much as possible to the CHARITY.

He stated he didn't feel he promoted it enough this year. Once he feels he's promoted it to his liking and thinks most people who were going to donate did so, then it's over.

[quote name='boagman']Really? Another extension? At what point do we just sort of realize that it's not going to happen? I don't mean to be rude, but at a certain point, the "2012 Charity Raffle" sort of loses its meaning/significance when we're headstrong into February of 2013. There's honestly a time to just pull the plug and be happy with the amount raised. Sometimes it really is just the economy.[/QUOTE]

I guess some people just want to win a digital copy of some game on steam more than they want to help hospitalized children

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Extending it has nothing to do with CAG meeting a goal. It has everything to do with CheapyD wanting us to donate as much as possible to the CHARITY.

He stated he didn't feel he promoted it enough this year. Once he feels he's promoted it to his liking and thinks most people who were going to donate did so, then it's over.[/QUOTE]

They can still donate to the charity after the drawing is over, I assume they collect funds all year round.

[quote name='orangaspank']I guess some people just want to win a digital copy of some game on steam more than they want to help hospitalized children[/QUOTE]

Or, some of the people who've donated items to the raffle might be out of town when the thing ends now, and someone who *wins* said item might be a bit ticked off that the donor can't be reached because they've gone to the other side of the country and can't be bothered/reached at that time. I know I'd be pissed if I'd won something and then, magically, the prize isn't available because the prize giver can't be reached. I'd start smelling something quite quickly indeed.

Like, say, a $15 PSN voucher. Look it up under the PS3 items, see who the donor is, and come back and run your non-item-donating mouth. There are *legitimate reasons* to end something like this on time, just as there's at *least* one legitimate reason to complain when it doesn't. Like it or not, *good cause* or not, this is not CheapyD's finest hour...and we're still not even 70% of the way there, with at least two extensions ($34949.46 at this moment). What if we're nowhere close on the first of February? "Three more months, guys...we can do this!" Really?

It's not just inconvenient...it's a bit of an embarrassment. Sometimes it really is better to rip the bandage off quickly than to try and draw it out over time. Perhaps that is a bit harsh, but it bears saying if the evidence supports it.

[quote name='boagman']Or, some of the people who've donated items to the raffle might be out of town when the thing ends now, and someone who *wins* said item might be a bit ticked off that the donor can't be reached because they've gone to the other side of the country and can't be bothered/reached at that time. I know I'd be pissed if I'd won something and then, magically, the prize isn't available because the prize giver can't be reached. I'd start smelling something quite quickly indeed.

Like, say, a $15 PSN voucher. Look it up under the PS3 items, see who the donor is, and come back and run your non-item-donating mouth. There are *legitimate reasons* to end something like this on time, just as there's at *least* one legitimate reason to complain when it doesn't. Like it or not, *good cause* or not, this is not CheapyD's finest hour...and we're still not even 70% of the way there, with at least two extensions ($34949.46 at this moment). What if we're nowhere close on the first of February? "Three more months, guys...we can do this!" Really?

It's not just inconvenient...it's a bit of an embarrassment. Sometimes it really is better to rip the bandage off quickly than to try and draw it out over time. Perhaps that is a bit harsh, but it bears saying if the evidence supports it.[/QUOTE]

Not all the way to the other side of the country! I heard there's no internet over there!

[quote name='boagman']Or, some of the people who've donated items to the raffle might be out of town when the thing ends now, and someone who *wins* said item might be a bit ticked off that the donor can't be reached because they've gone to the other side of the country and can't be bothered/reached at that time. I know I'd be pissed if I'd won something and then, magically, the prize isn't available because the prize giver can't be reached. I'd start smelling something quite quickly indeed.

It's not just inconvenient...it's a bit of an embarrassment. Sometimes it really is better to rip the bandage off quickly than to try and draw it out over time. Perhaps that is a bit harsh, but it bears saying if the evidence supports it.[/QUOTE]

You must live in a world where the Internet doesn't exist. Communication is pret-ty easy these days no matter where you are. Congratulations on donating a 15 PSN voucher. That definitely gives you a reason to be so high and mighty.

Also, why are people speaking so poorly of Cheapy D when he's been able to rally people together to raise over $35,000 for this charity. Not his finest hour? An embarrassment? Surely this is a finer hour than most of us have had in our lives. I mean, $35,000 is not $15 to spend on PSN, but it's a start!

Last edited by a moderator:

Who is to say there aren't people who donated items that would be out of town the first cutoff date? Maybe that is better for them now? I highly doubt prize donators availability was ever taken into consideration for the cut off date. I am also sure you can adapt and figure out a way to make the person that wins aware that you will be out of town. The winner that demands his prize immediately from a charity drawing after your pleasant explanation that you will be out of town and will send it when you get back is a jackass that deserves to wait a week or two anyway.

Great thing you did though! Donating is great.

[quote name='sirdan357']They can still donate to the charity after the drawing is over, I assume they collect funds all year round. [/QUOTE]

Simply assuming this removes all usefulness from this specific CAG driven yearly event. Why should CheapyD even bother if people are just going to donate all year? Or does this event drive donations that may not have been given otherwise. If the latter is true then extending it can only help, even if only a little more.

It's pretty sad to see people bitching about the extension. Get over it, this is more about charity and helping others than you winning some prize. And if you are one of the people who donated (prize or money), thank you. But if the winner honestly complain about waiting for something he/she WON, then...shit I don't know, poop in the package or something.

On a different note, I recently got a job and will be donating again soon. Thanks, Cheapy, for doing this year after year, AND for having such a great site that I've used to save tons of money.

I donated 4 games. Cheapy can can keep the raffle going as long as he wants - the more money raised, the more kids are cheered up.

@boagman I can totally understand extenuating circumstances. It happens to all of us. If the extension is too much of a burden, contact Cheapy and withdrawn the voucher. I'll toss one in to cover for it, and everyone is happy :)

I really hope we make this goal, did that online fundraiser thing happen yet? 4 days left this time around and it's slowly going up. I'm curious and asked before. How many members do we have? enough to all commit to another $5?

Can't you just email someone a PSN code from a voucher? So couldn't he just do that? Or even email it to CheapyD and ask him to send it to the winner when their name is pulled?

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Can't you just email someone a PSN code from a voucher? So couldn't he just do that? Or even email it to CheapyD and ask him to send it to the winner when their name is pulled?[/QUOTE]

Yup. I still can't see why boagman is making such a big deal when his item is one of the easiest to send.

[quote name='orangaspank']Yup. I still can't see why boagman is making such a big deal when his item is one of the easiest to send.[/QUOTE]

Yes, there will be internet access near me...*somewhere*. I'm going offline, purposely. It's my first week-long vacation in over a decade, and if I didn't *have* to take my phone, I wouldn't.

[quote name='boagman']Yes, there will be internet access near me...*somewhere*. I'm going offline, purposely. It's my first week-long vacation in over a decade, and if I didn't *have* to take my phone, I wouldn't.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure the winner will be completely understanding of having to wait a week to hear from you. It won't be a big deal. Forget about it and enjoy your vacation. The voucher will still probably reach that person before the mailed physical games, do :)

[quote name='jayntampa']I'm sure the winner will be completely understanding of having to wait a week to hear from you. It won't be a big deal. Forget about it and enjoy your vacation. The voucher will still probably reach that person before the mailed physical games, do :)[/QUOTE]

+1. You're making it way more complicated than it actually is.

[quote name='tjhall1000']i put in 5 bucks to the pot..... how is my donation recorded? how do they know if i won?[/QUOTE]

Same thing with me. How is the donation recorded and linked to my CAG account?

[quote name='Pookymeister']It records your email. Pretty sure if your email used to donate doesn't match CAG, you will be contacted via that.[/QUOTE]

Ok thanks I will look into it. My paypal email is different than my CAG email.

bread's done
Back