CAG home owner topic. Buying or selling a home? Have a maintance issue? Help is here!

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I love trees but I just found out I am heavily allergic to most of them. :([/QUOTE]

My wife had allergy tests done recently and found out she is allergic to pretty much every type of tree out there. They tested for 38 different allergies and she was allergic to 36....

I was approved today for way more than I plan to spend for my first home purchase and told to start shopping. Gotta read this thread one day and see what I can learn from everyones knowledge. Housing market is a good place to be right now around here as there are deals to be had everywhere.

I'm leaning towards a couple move in ready new builds on the outskirts of a new small little subdivision. Never thought i'd do that but it backs up to trees and where it's located it'll stay trees and neighbors aren't on top of me. Although my mind will surely change 100 times before I buy lol.

[quote name='$hady']I was approved today for way more than I plan to spend for my first home purchase and told to start shopping. Gotta read this thread one day and see what I can learn from everyones knowledge. Housing market is a good place to be right now around here as there are deals to be had everywhere.

I'm leaning towards a couple move in ready new builds on the outskirts of a new small little subdivision. Never thought i'd do that but it backs up to trees and where it's located it'll stay trees and neighbors aren't on top of me. Although my mind will surely change 100 times before I buy lol.[/QUOTE]

Two quick quotes. First realize your house is your home, you will live there for the next 5-30 years. Find someplace you REALLY love both the neighborhood and the house itself. We made the mistake of buying based 90% on value 10% on what we actually wanted.

Second is to be careful buying newly built houses. A lot of people think buying a new house these days means buying a better house but many of those are really shoddy. My cousin works in construction and has talked about many of those homes are rushed, mistakes are made and cheap materials are used for quick profit. My Aunt/his mom insisted on ignoring him when he pointed out a few worrisome spots in a house that was not even a year old.....her house ended up having like a $15,000 plumbing/sewage problem with their basement. I am not saying never buy a newly built home, just make 100% sure that you are buying a quality built home.

Good points and i've already long passed my initial the payment would ONLY be X and that's cheap thought to be inline with your saying that house is going to be my long term home. With the market how it is it's time to go a little bigger plus i'm going with a USDA rural development loan which is 0 down seller can pay closing and no PMI. Although that's supposed to change later this year so hurry if anyone is considering it.

I love the idea of a new home but scared at the same time about what you posted. I've heard the same thing from others, it's true they don't build um like they used to. Sucks to hear about her basement troubles.

Thanks for your post. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MSI Magus']
Second is to be careful buying newly built houses. A lot of people think buying a new house these days means buying a better house but many of those are really shoddy. My cousin works in construction and has talked about many of those homes are rushed, mistakes are made and cheap materials are used for quick profit. My Aunt/his mom insisted on ignoring him when he pointed out a few worrisome spots in a house that was not even a year old.....her house ended up having like a $15,000 plumbing/sewage problem with their basement. I am not saying never buy a newly built home, just make 100% sure that you are buying a quality built home.[/QUOTE]

On the flip side older homes require maintenance some which has been neglected for years and often goes unnoticed until the first heavy rain or cold day of winter. New roofs, pipes, furnaces etc. are not cheap. It's amazing how much risk you take on with any home and how much profit banks make on the deal even at low interest rates.

[quote name='$hady']Good points and i've already long passed my initial the payment would ONLY be X and that's cheap thought to be inline with your saying that house is going to be my long term home. With the market how it is it's time to go a little bigger plus i'm going with a USDA rural development loan which is 0 down seller can pay closing and no PMI. Although that's supposed to change later this year so hurry if anyone is considering it.

I love the idea of a new home but scared at the same time about what you posted. I've heard the same thing from others, it's true they don't build um like they used to. Sucks to hear about her basement troubles.

Thanks for your post. :)[/QUOTE]

Well what you could try to do is hire more then one home inspector. The guy we had sucked and while I walked around with him asking questions he apparently did not answer very many of them. He scribbled a few notes of possible long term concerns down and left. 6 months in to living in the house our basement ended up with a major water problem. When I called experts in they said there was no way in hell he should have missed the kind of water problem there was.

I think the fee is only like $200 or so for those guys, so even though its a nice chunk of change it may be worth it to get a second or even third opinion.

[quote name='zionoverfire']On the flip side older homes require maintenance some which has been neglected for years and often goes unnoticed until the first heavy rain or cold day of winter. New roofs, pipes, furnaces etc. are not cheap. It's amazing how much risk you take on with any home and how much profit banks make on the deal even at low interest rates.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's a reason I prefer condos. At least you only have the interior stuff to worry about. Any major plumbing thing with drains, sewage system etc. is the condo associations problem, as well as any exterior problems.

Of course, you pay a premium through having condo fees etc. But it's worth it to me to not have to worry with that stuff, and I'd be paying someone to do yard work etc. anyway if I had a house as I don't have time/patience to be bothered with that kind of crap.

[quote name='zionoverfire']On the flip side older homes require maintenance some which has been neglected for years and often goes unnoticed until the first heavy rain or cold day of winter. New roofs, pipes, furnaces etc. are not cheap. It's amazing how much risk you take on with any home and how much profit banks make on the deal even at low interest rates.[/QUOTE]

This is true but you should be mainly concerned with the "bones" of the house. Every house will need fixing almost all the time. It is a constant battle. However, a house with aluminum studs, shoddy insulation and low quality fixtures will be much more of a headache to deal with than buying a new furnace or replacing electrical boxes, etc.

My house is over 100 years old and it is built like a rock. We've been here 7 years and we've replaced the roof, added central air and replaced the water heater. Other than that it is holding up really well. We've got nice thick wooden siding instead of aluminum, 9 ft. ceilings with beautiful crown moulding, hardwood floors, etc. I love it.

I have friends living in houses that are less than 10 years old and they are in seriously bad shape already - pretty much everything needs to be replaced and I mean everything. One guy couldn't figure out why his downstairs bathroom was sol cold all of the time until he went to add a skylight (for warmth) and found out that the room was not insulated - at all.

Well after searching and searching the net for literally everything available where I wanted to live. I went to the realtor my mortgage guy recommended and scheduled a bunch of showings. One of which was a sale that fell through at the last minute because of the guys loan falling apart or something financial wise. House approved on all bases although i'll do the processes again myself of course.... It wasn't even listed on the web yet. Loved it and made an offer today. SO now comes the fun part, waiting impatiently... :D

It's everything I wanted and more and after all the extra utilities I don't pay in my apartment i'm looking at $250 higher total than what I pay now. I went low end of my approval amount I looked at higher stuff but this one was everything I wanted.
eusa_pray.gif

[quote name='Javery']This is true but you should be mainly concerned with the "bones" of the house. Every house will need fixing almost all the time. It is a constant battle. However, a house with aluminum studs, shoddy insulation and low quality fixtures will be much more of a headache to deal with than buying a new furnace or replacing electrical boxes, etc.

My house is over 100 years old and it is built like a rock. We've been here 7 years and we've replaced the roof, added central air and replaced the water heater. Other than that it is holding up really well. We've got nice thick wooden siding instead of aluminum, 9 ft. ceilings with beautiful crown moulding, hardwood floors, etc. I love it.

I have friends living in houses that are less than 10 years old and they are in seriously bad shape already - pretty much everything needs to be replaced and I mean everything. One guy couldn't figure out why his downstairs bathroom was sol cold all of the time until he went to add a skylight (for warmth) and found out that the room was not insulated - at all.[/QUOTE]

All true, shoddy construction abounds these days. There are however quite a few older homes in need of maintenance which has been swept under the rug and covered up with a touch of paint, buyer beware.;)

[quote name='zionoverfire']All true, shoddy construction abounds these days. There are however quite a few older homes in need of maintenance which has been swept under the rug and covered up with a touch of paint, buyer beware.;)[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Here's some bullshit homeowners nonsense for you. This past weekend a tree branch fell and went right through the sunroof of my SUV. It looks like a bomb went off in there. So now we decided to take down the three beautiful trees in our yard because this is the fourth separate incident of branches falling and totally destroying something in the 7 years we've been there (windshield, deck and roof). I was mowing a few weeks ago and a giant branch fell and landed about 10ft. from me - definitely could have seriously injured me. We have regular annual maintenance on the trees to trim back dead branches, etc. but this stuff is unavoidable. I love the shade they provide but I'd never forgive myself if someone got hurt. Anyway, the first guy just quoted us $7,900 to remove all 3 trees. I want to vomit.

[quote name='Javery']Agreed.

Here's some bullshit homeowners nonsense for you. This past weekend a tree branch fell and went right through the sunroof of my SUV. It looks like a bomb went off in there. So now we decided to take down the three beautiful trees in our yard because this is the fourth separate incident of branches falling and totally destroying something in the 7 years we've been there (windshield, deck and roof). I was mowing a few weeks ago and a giant branch fell and landed about 10ft. from me - definitely could have seriously injured me. We have regular annual maintenance on the trees to trim back dead branches, etc. but this stuff is unavoidable. I love the shade they provide but I'd never forgive myself if someone got hurt. Anyway, the first guy just quoted us $7,900 to remove all 3 trees. I want to vomit.[/QUOTE]

Tree removal is expensive, but I don't know about THAT expensive. Obviously it depends on the sizes of the trees. Just be sure they properly poison the stump/roots if they're going to be left behind and not dragged out.

That seems way too expensive. Though you live in a completely different financial area then me (midwest vs east coast, so that might have something to do with the price difference).

[quote name='kodave']Tree removal is expensive, but I don't know about THAT expensive. Obviously it depends on the sizes of the trees. Just be sure they properly poison the stump/roots if they're going to be left behind and not dragged out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='perdition(troy']That seems way too expensive. Though you live in a completely different financial area then me (midwest vs east coast, so that might have something to do with the price difference).[/QUOTE]

It seems very expensive to me too but these are 3 of the biggest trees I've seen around here. It would take at least 3 adults to wrap their arms around the circumference of each one. We are also paying for stump removal. We had a 4th tree of similar size removed about 5 years ago and that was $2,000 back then. Ugh.

[quote name='Javery']Agreed.

Here's some bullshit homeowners nonsense for you. This past weekend a tree branch fell and went right through the sunroof of my SUV. It looks like a bomb went off in there. So now we decided to take down the three beautiful trees in our yard because this is the fourth separate incident of branches falling and totally destroying something in the 7 years we've been there (windshield, deck and roof). I was mowing a few weeks ago and a giant branch fell and landed about 10ft. from me - definitely could have seriously injured me. We have regular annual maintenance on the trees to trim back dead branches, etc. but this stuff is unavoidable. I love the shade they provide but I'd never forgive myself if someone got hurt. Anyway, the first guy just quoted us $7,900 to remove all 3 trees. I want to vomit.[/QUOTE]

That's high, but not that bad honestly for removal. It's costing me $642 to have a tree pruned, with 5-6 feet taken off the crown. The tree is probably 43 feet tall, but only 2 feet around. I would get 3 estimates.

[quote name='Javery']This is true but you should be mainly concerned with the "bones" of the house. Every house will need fixing almost all the time. It is a constant battle. However, a house with aluminum studs, shoddy insulation and low quality fixtures will be much more of a headache to deal with than buying a new furnace or replacing electrical boxes, etc.

I have friends living in houses that are less than 10 years old and they are in seriously bad shape already - pretty much everything needs to be replaced and I mean everything. One guy couldn't figure out why his downstairs bathroom was sol cold all of the time until he went to add a skylight (for warmth) and found out that the room was not insulated - at all.[/QUOTE]

wait, downstairs bathroom skylight? Is he looking up his wife's skirt while she's in the kitchen? That's genius!

My

[quote name='Javery']It seems very expensive to me too but these are 3 of the biggest trees I've seen around here. It would take at least 3 adults to wrap their arms around the circumference of each one. We are also paying for stump removal. We had a 4th tree of similar size removed about 5 years ago and that was $2,000 back then. Ugh.[/QUOTE]

If the tree is close to the street, you can try calling the town. We had an ugly tree that we wanted removed and the town ended up doing it for free since it was technically theirs.

[quote name='nasum']
Seriously, $8k to remove trees? Just go buy a chainsaw for $150 and go crazy with the thing. Get a couple of ropes so you can have pullers and direct the branches to where you want them to fall. Invite buddies over for beers afterwards. It'll be a good time and will save you plenty of money to send me a GC for saving you the trouble!
You'll still end up paying for stump removal but that's maybe $200-300 per tree depending on the root structure.[/QUOTE]

Given he said these are huge trees that would take at least 3 people to wrap their arms around, I'd say that's something the average person wouldn't want to mess with on their own. To much risk of it falling on someone, or their house or a neighbors house.

And if it's in a city, there's probably municipal codes against cutting down large trees on your own etc.

It does seem damn expensive though, but maybe that's the norm. Another +1 to condo living! :D

[quote name='nasum']wait, downstairs bathroom skylight? Is he looking up his wife's skirt while she's in the kitchen? That's genius![/QUOTE]

Ha - that would be a good plan. Unfortunately it is one of those weird mud room bathrooms that kind of sticks out of the back of the house. Looks ridiculous but it is in the back so no one can see it I guess. There is a slanted ceiling in there and when they popped the hole in the roof they noticed there was no insulation so they kept tearing the drywall out to learn that there was none at all.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']If the tree is close to the street, you can try calling the town. We had an ugly tree that we wanted removed and the town ended up doing it for free since it was technically theirs.[/QUOTE]

No such luck for us - all three are actually VERY close to the house. It has bothered us for years and every time there is a strong wind or a bad storm we get really nervous that something is going to fall on the house.

We are going to plant replacements though so hopefully in a couple of years they will provide some shade in the back yard. I'm really bummed thinking about it although I guess no more gumballs and no more enormous amounts of leaves in the fall. That will save me a lot of yard work at least.

[quote name='Javery']No such luck for us - all three are actually VERY close to the house.[/QUOTE]

That's why they're costing so much to remove. A bigger tree already costs quite a bit to remove but once you start adding in hazards like being very close to a house/power lines/high traffic street it ups the cost significantly. $7900 for 3 of those isn't too bad.

Of course you should get multiple estimates anyways as they usually vary a bit but it's still going to be several thousand. I wouldn't go for the absolute cheapest though. They're cheapest for a reason (cut corners, not certified, no insurance, poor estimate).

Yeah, always get multiple estimates.

At one of my old places (rented a room in a condo from an acquaintance) the HVAC unit died. First estimate was over $6K to put in a new system (air handler inside, heat pump outside). She got a recommendation from a colleague about some guy they'd used for their HVAC unit and he only charged $3,500 or so to put a new one in.

So always get at least a couple estimates as prices can vary wildly. If there's some local small business that can do it, they'll probably be cheaper than any chains or larger local businesses.

yeah - we were expecting this to cost around $5K or so. We are definitely going to get at least 3 estimates but we are prepared to spend a crapload, unfortunately.

Javy, make sure you at least look into getting an ISA certified arborist to take a look at the trees as well. There may be other options besides cutting them down.

I've got a tree fairly close to my house that I've toyed with cutting down. It leans towards the house, BUT, that is how it's grown for the past 10 years or so. It's as stable as any other tree out there. I've though about removing it, but after talking to several arborists, it didn't make sense to. They can cut enough off of it so it won't interfere with the house and I can keep the tree (along with the value that the tree provides).

The trees are coming down for sure. My wife does not want them on our property any more, unfortunately.

Anyway, we've had 4 bids so far - $7,900, $8,300, $4,885 and $4,000. All bids include grinding down the stumps below grade. Yeah, we are definitely going with the $4,000 bid. I mean this isn't something like building a room or doing interior work or painting or anything remotely "artistic" where you could get different results from different contractors. The trees are either there or not there, right?

Only thing I can think of is if they don't poison the root system properly you could have problems with things sprouting back up over time.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Only thing I can think of is if they don't poison the root system properly you could have problems with things sprouting back up over time.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know they had to poison anything - I think last time we had this done they just grinded the stump down about a foot or so below grade and tried to go out as far as they could to grind the roots. The guy told me that if they just removed the stump (and didn't grind it) we couldn't even get it out of the backyard because there wouldn't be enough room between the side of the house and the fence (which is the width of my driveway). Crazy.

Anyway, I'm MUCH happier paying $4K instead of $8K - that means we can still go to Disney later in the year!

I cut down a dogwood right in front of our house (we have like 20 in the yard and this one's roots were growing into our main sewer line). It was about about a foot and a half in diameter and eh not sure how tall. I used a rope and my wife helped guide it when it fell. I drilled large/deep holes in the stump with an auger bit I had and poured salt in them weekly for a few months and then just quit. That was about two years ago and now the stump just falling apart and I'm gonna go out and break it up with an axe here soon.

I know tree removal is expensive. People are getting gouged though down here in AL since all the tornado damage. My neighbor said he talked to somebody that got a quote of 12k to remove one tree!

[quote name='Javery'] Yeah, we are definitely going with the $4,000 bid. I mean this isn't something like building a room or doing interior work or painting or anything remotely "artistic" where you could get different results from different contractors. The trees are either there or not there, right?[/QUOTE]

It's not really the end result that can differ but the process. How they cut the tree down is a major factor in price as well as things like clean up and how well prepared they are in case of an accident.

And you don't need to poison the stump if they're grinding it. You wouldn't want to poison them anyway if you plan on planting replacements soon.

I want to flatten and pave over my whole backyard to get rid of this half-grass, dead spots, weeds, ferns and clover mix. But I'm not likely to ever have the time, energy and resources to do it myself or the funds required to pay someone to do so.

Well next friday i'll OFFICIALLY be a first time homeowner. :D

Ended up getting the house I put the lowball offer in on, we met closer to her end of the middle but she paid closing and a warranty. It had only been on the market a couple days so I knew it was a longshot. House was head and shoulders above everything else I saw and had everything I wanted move in ready. There goes the neighborhood.... haha

I think I might be the laziest homeowner here. I haven't done a damn thing relating to the house in months.

[quote name='nasum']I think I might be the laziest homeowner here. I haven't done a damn thing relating to the house in months.[/QUOTE]

I haven't done anything good in years. Since I moved in 7+ years ago I've only done the following:

- refinished the 3rd floor walk-up attic from storage to a guest room
- new driveway
- new roof
- central air
- replaced water heater
- replaced electrical box
- removed 4 giant trees from the yard

That's the list. The 3rd floor and the central air were the only things I was actually excited to do. It is a freaking money pit. I did have a meeting this morning with an architect though and we are moving forward with an addition - that will likely start in April-May 2012 once we get the drawings, variance, bidding, etc. completed. So much for this being our "starter" home.

Going to start looking for our first house here soon.... Our realtor suggested we get a preapproval before we start looking so sellers know we're serious... Anyone have any thoughts on that? We plan on going to our bank Saturday for one, and then starting to look next weekend.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Going to start looking for our first house here soon.... Our realtor suggested we get a preapproval before we start looking so sellers know we're serious... Anyone have any thoughts on that? We plan on going to our bank Saturday for one, and then starting to look next weekend.[/QUOTE]

Do it for sure. From a seller's point of view, if they are getting two equal or close to equal offers and you are pre-approved and the other person isn't, they would almost surely go with you. They have a guarantee that the bank will give you the money. When we were house hunting, we heard of a few instances where there was another offer and it feel through due to the bank not approving the loan.

It's a good idea to get pre-approved just so you know the price range you can start looking in. You should be able to do that over the phone with most banks. They just get your salary info, look at your savings and then give you a ballpark number... and then you end up borrowing about 70% of it unless you want to eat Ramen Noodles for the rest of your life.

[quote name='Javery']It's a good idea to get pre-approved just so you know the price range you can start looking in. You should be able to do that over the phone with most banks. They just get your salary info, look at your savings and then give you a ballpark number... and then you end up borrowing about 70% of it unless you want to eat Ramen Noodles for the rest of your life.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we are def not going to borrow all they allow. I looked at a calculator online and it said with a 5% interest rate we could get a $500k house. :rofl: We are looking more in the $250-325k range, though I'm hoping for something on the lower end. We don't want a big house and we don't want to be indebted for the next 30 years (though getting a 30 year just for "insurance" but paying down extra on the principal whenever we can). We also want a payment we can afford on only one job if one of us loses our job. And yes we are putting at least 20% down.

Damn - that's responsible. Good for you guys. We didn't have 20% to put down but we did only borrow 1/2 of what they were willing to lend at the time. Smartest move we ever made. We've refinanced since and our mortgage is about 2/3 of what it once was and we no longer have the adjustable arm.

Where in MA are you? $500K would seem to be par for the course around Boston and Worcester and probably way more than that as you get out by the Cape. I do think it is a good idea to reach a little when buying a house unless you are planning to move into something better in 3-5 years. You will grow into it.

[quote name='Javery']Damn - that's responsible. Good for you guys. We didn't have 20% to put down but we did only borrow 1/2 of what they were willing to lend at the time. Smartest move we ever made. We've refinanced since and our mortgage is about 2/3 of what it once was and we no longer have the adjustable arm.

Where in MA are you? $500K would seem to be par for the course around Boston and Worcester and probably way more than that as you get out by the Cape. I do think it is a good idea to reach a little when buying a house unless you are planning to move into something better in 3-5 years. You will grow into it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah we're looking into a suburb of Boston that still actually has the T subway line going into it. It's still not as affordable as Ohio, but it's still a fuck of a lot cheaper than Boston. We're north of Boston, but not very far. My job is in Boston, husband's is like maybe 10-15 miles north of Boston?

We just filled out a preapproval app online- but didn't get approved instantly and they said they would contact us for more information (what, they didn't get enough from the life history they asked us?). Is this a really bad sign? I'm thinking it may be because of my job history, considering I'm only 23 years old and my steadiest job since college (which was only 2 years ago) only lasted 1 year and change due to moving. We also reached a bit on the application- said we were willing to get a $350k house when I'm thinking $325k as the limit. Oh well. Our income was certainly enough- but me only getting my new job very recently probably raised a red flag.

I'm waiting for this heat wave to pass so I can mow my lawn...fortunately it doesn't look like wheat yet.

I've enjoyed living in my 1950s house and remodeling a bit:

Bleh...wallpaper :cry:

IMG_0014.jpg

Hey, wood floors :)

IMG_0034.jpg

Mmmm...fresh floors...I'll never forget pulling every carpet staple out by hand.

IMG_8322.jpg

Now we're talking :D

IMG_8512.jpg

The kitchen needed help too!

Before

IMG_7582-Smiley.jpg

After

IMG_9868.jpg

I can't find a before picture of the main upstairs bathroom...it's as dramatic of a change as the kitchen...the bathroom even had carpet in it...yuck! Just imagine mango 1" tile, chest high all around, with a dated tub...mango tub.

IMG_9866.jpg

I've done a TON of landscaping as well...I valued the landscaping at around $17,000 before I touched it...I've easily added another $10,000 to it.

I'm left with the downstairs to tackle...don't know that I will.

I bought the house for the location, right off the interstate in a tree lined neighborhood and less than a mile from a state park and lake. I feel I did pretty good with remodeling with what I had to work with and without knocking down walls...and doing it myself. Accountants don't just count beans...

Some tips to new homeowners:

Take your time...

But, if you see a home you like, give a low-ball offer...and later with a counter offer with the stipulation that the home inspection has to be favorable to you...allowing you to back out for any reason...buy time with the counter offer process.

Stake out the place...park your car on the street at different times of the day and learn the area...a lot of kids...how old...loud cars...motorcycles...nitro RC cars...anyone parking a large tow vehicle in the road?

Talk to your potential neighbors...are they aware of any rental properties in the neighborhood? How do they feel about the neighbors?

I've learned my mistake...I live on a corner and opposite the road to one side is a rental...and the other side the biggest rednecks I've ever known.

Fortunately, the area is desirable and I should have no trouble selling when I'm ready...looking forward to reaping the benefits of the remodeling...but lesson learned. Will also seriously consider a condo in the future just to have more time and not having to spend so much time to mow grass...another lesson...flat lawns :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Who the fuck puts carpet in a bathroom? :rofl::rofl:

Those are some really sexy improvements, but honestly, I'm not that picky, so the "before" pictures don't look that horrible to me. I'd probably be able to live with them (except a fucking carpeted bathroom). But your improvements are great.

EDIT: What do you folks consider a "lowball" offer? 20% less than listing? More? Less?

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Who the fuck puts carpet in a bathroom?

Those are some really sexy improvements, but honestly, I'm not that picky, so the "before" pictures don't look that horrible to me. I'd probably be able to live with them (except a fucking carpeted bathroom). But your improvements are great.

EDIT: What do you folks consider a "lowball" offer? 20% less than listing? More? Less?[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I guess old folks feet get cold...it was nasty though...replaced everything in the bath except the ceiling drywall.

I'd say 15-20%...

I offered right at 15% less than sale price...it was an estate sale...single owner...no kids...no motive for profit...all proceeds were left to a church and university.

I wound up purchasing it at 10% off with about an additional 4% towards closing / down payment.

Just took a look at that mortgage payment calculator again.... They say at 4.5% interest we could afford a $560k mortgage.... not a $560k house, a $560k mortgage. I guess the banks never learn.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Just took a look at that mortgage payment calculator again.... They say at 4.5% interest we could afford a $560k mortgage.... not a $560k house, a $560k mortgage. I guess the banks never learn.[/QUOTE]

What kind of sq. footage does that buy in MA?

Any tips for a new home buyer? My fiance and I have been looking at various small homes and townhomes near where we live.

It seems that the amount of foreclosures and short sales is amazing. However, we've been trying to stay away from those because of the length that they can sometime take to close.

[quote name='GetWhatYaGive']Any tips for a new home buyer? My fiance and I have been looking at various small homes and townhomes near where we live.[/QUOTE]

I'll repeat what I recommended earlier:

Stake out the place...park your car on the street at different times of the day and learn the area...a lot of kids...how old...loud cars...motorcycles...nitro RC cars...anyone parking a large tow vehicle in the road?

Talk to your potential neighbors...are they aware of any rental properties in the neighborhood? How do they feel about the neighbors?

If you've got a high tolerance to these things...just jump right in.

[quote name='Muthafodder']I'll repeat what I recommended earlier:

If you've got a high tolerance to these things...just jump right in.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response. That's a pretty good idea. I appreciate the help.

bread's done
Back