CAG Lose It weight loss challenge.

[quote name='gbpackers94']On Lose It! do we take our weights in the morning or at night?[/QUOTE]

Morning time once you wake up

[quote name='seanr1221']I dunno man, sounds way too complex.

I originally dropped 50 pounds by just cutting down portion sizes, eating more fruits and vegetables and limiting my fatty foods.[/QUOTE]

It takes a little learning, but once you 'get it', it's pretty easy. Was toughest in the first two weeks, weighing every little thing, eating promptly every 4-hour mark.

Never been a huge eater, but the snacks certainly killed me. A little here, a little there. No problem, right? Totally wrong. (Which sucks!)

I'm not a fan of portion-size control, especially on things that are low calorie anyway, and especially not on slow-absorbption carbs like broccoli, spinach, beans and cauliflower, to name a few. You could eat those to fill any hunger 'gaps' with little, if any effect on total weight.

All that said, there's one very easy tip that will help the body burn calories naturally throughout the day, and that happens at breakfast - eat at least 30g of protein within 30 minutes of waking. Also, best to make sure protein consists of at least 60% of your entire breakfast caloric intake. Should help with fat-burning throughout the day.

Height: 5'8"
Current weight: 170 lbs
Goal weight: 150 lbs
Time frame: One of these days.

I have the app, but kinda lost interest. I basically need more exercise and less food portions. I generally eat decent food so that's not the issue.

Also, if it helps for you guys there are free apps for situps, pushups, and pullups from Rittr Labs. May help ya guys too.

so today marked the end of week 1, tomorrow is my rest day. im working out mon-sat rest on sunday and trying my very best not to go over 1700 cals a day. a few days i went over but it was all on good food. i havent cheated at all with food. nothing but water, some OJ here and there, a little bit of soy milk here and there and mainly fruits, veggies and skinless chicken breast and a protein shake. im going to weigh myself after week 3.

Done with my third day. First day I went over but the last two days I've been under. I've been eating terrible food, but hey I've already lost 1.4 pounds.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Also, if it helps for you guys there are free apps for situps, pushups, and pullups from Rittr Labs. May help ya guys too.[/QUOTE]
I've been doing the 100 push-up challenge for the last 4 months. I started off being able to do 35 and now I'm able to do 75. I'm not really losing any weight, but gaining more muscle is just as good. :D

If I had a pull-up bar that didn't leave marks, I'd do the 25 pull-up challange too.

As someone who lost 100 pounds over two summers (because with the holidays comes pie), I'd like to offer you what, in my humble, 190-pound opinion is the ultimate piece of advice that anyone trying to sell you a diet won't ever tell you; it doesn't matter what you eat, it's how much. I eat absolute shit but still can lose weight. Obviously, 200 calories of salad is better for you than 200 calorie of ice cream but, in terms of losing weight, it doesn't make a difference. I think if more people knew this, they might have better luck sticking with it.

Here's exactly how I did it:

1. Go here. Find your BMR. That's how many calories you need in a day to maintain your current weight.

2. Eat less calories than that. Once a week, forget the calories and just eat stuff you like.

3. That's it.

The greatest tool there is for weight loss is a food scale. I firmly believe if you're paying for anything else, except maybe a gym membership, you're doing it wrong, and the easiest way to fail a diet is to over-complicate it, then get frustrated when it doesn't work. It's calorie control and nothing else.

I'm not an expert, but I did this and it worked, and it'll work for anybody if you just stick with it. There's no such thing as someone who "just can't lose weight."

[quote name='dohdough']I've been doing the 100 push-up challenge for the last 4 months. I started off being able to do 35 and now I'm able to do 75. I'm not really losing any weight, but gaining more muscle is just as good. :D

If I had a pull-up bar that didn't leave marks, I'd do the 25 pull-up challange too.[/QUOTE]

Nice. :tup:

[quote name='Survivalism']As someone who lost 100 pounds over two summers (because with the holidays comes pie), I'd like to offer you what, in my humble, 190-pound opinion is the ultimate piece of advice that anyone trying to sell you a diet won't ever tell you; it doesn't matter what you eat, it's how much. I eat absolute shit but still can lose weight. Obviously, 200 calories of salad is better for you than 200 calorie of ice cream but, in terms of losing weight, it doesn't make a difference. I think if more people knew this, they might have better luck sticking with it.

Here's exactly how I did it:

1. Go here. Find your BMR. That's how many calories you need in a day to maintain your current weight.

2. Eat less calories than that. Once a week, forget the calories and just eat stuff you like.

3. That's it.

The greatest tool there is for weight loss is a food scale. I firmly believe if you're paying for anything else, except maybe a gym membership, you're doing it wrong, and the easiest way to fail a diet is to over-complicate it, then get frustrated when it doesn't work. It's calorie control and nothing else.

I'm not an expert, but I did this and it worked, and it'll work for anybody if you just stick with it. There's no such thing as someone who "just can't lose weight."[/QUOTE]

God thank you! Finally, someone who gets it. How do I up vote this comment?

Anyway, yes, it does not matter what the fuck you eat as long as you hit your macros / calories.

As long as you burn more than you consume you will lose weight.

If you consume more than you burn you will gain weight.

Period. If you argue this, i will put you on my ignore list.

There is no theory or myth, no low carb is better, low fat, etc and so forth.

No food is crap, pop tarts, Frosted Flakes, and Twinkies are perfectly valid foods, but they make it extremely easy to over consume more calories than you burn since they are denser in calories and less filling.

However, you can make better choices for goals.

For example, protein is the most filling macronutrient and has the highest thermogenic affect. Followed by carb, then fat. That's getting nitty gritty details though.

Also, eating 6 times a day is bull shit. You can eat once a day or 12 times a day. It does not matter.

I've been meaning to post in here, but every time I remember, I'm not at my computer.

Height: 5'7"
Current weight: 202 lbs
Goal weight: 170 lbs
Time frame: 6 months

I started in mid May weighing in at 231.6, so I've lost 30 pounds in 4 months or so. I signed up for the myfitnesspal.com website and started tracking my calorie intake. The site calculated my BMR and I set it so I would lose a pound a week or 500 calories less per day. I tried to eat healthier, but didn't go crazy with it since I still wanted to be able to eat whatever I wanted. Other than that, I exercised 2-3 times a week doing either Insanity, running, or my wife's Firm videos. It's been working for me so far, so I think I should hit my goal in another 6 months.

Check out this guy that lost 27 pounds by going on a junk food diet.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

looks like I'm getting involve more seriously after all... Kinda related, but can anyone recommend a vdeio/audio podcast for cooking? Preferably cooking simple or beginner stuff? Thanks (not much for cooking, but will need to start).

Looks like I forgot to do a weigh in post last week. I pretty much stayed the same as before last week. I think after losing a lot the first week, it slowed down on me.

Weekly Weigh-In

Height: 6'4"
Starting Weight: 223.8

Last Week: 216.8 lbs.
This Week: 215.2 lbs.

Weight Loss: 1.6 pounds

[quote name='blindinglights']Looks like I forgot to do a weigh in post last week. I pretty much stayed the same as before last week. I think after losing a lot the first week, it slowed down on me.[/QUOTE]

That happened when I first started too. I guess it was all water weight. Being down is still great though!

Here's my weekly check in:

Starting Weight (May): 231.6
Last week's weight: 202 lbs
Current weight: 201.2
Goal weight: 31.2 pounds to go

Man, my friend feed is really slowing down. Get back on the wagon, people! :)

So far, I'm down just over 8 pounds. It's not a huge drop, but I'm pretty happy to see the number on the scale heading down!

I am just under one month on Lose It. I switched to diet soda and I can keep my intake below 2400 easily. I already moved to the next notch on my belt. Woo hoo!

Height: 6'2"
Starting Weight (September) 300 lbs
Current weight: 288.5
Goal weight: 250 lbs

I just finished a nutrition class, and a tip I can share that really helped me wad portion sizes. Take a look around your house at the size of your cups, plates, and bowls.

Then take a look at the serving sizes of the foods that you eat. Remember that a "cup" is 8 ounces and an average plate size is about 8 inches in diameter according to most nutritional consults.

The diabetic association that provided info to our class recommended that your 8 inch dinner plate consist of 1/4 meat, 1/4 starch, and 1/2 veg/fruit. That's a shock to alot of people.

It basically means about 4 ounces of meat, potato or bread product, and a whole lot of volume food like spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, or green beans. Just something to think about.

good job habbler. if you can try to eventually stop drinking soda period. i use to drink soda all the time now its just water and sometimes juice (natural orange juice). just at least consume less of it, its really not good for you and just empty calories.

so far im on my 3rd week of working out 6 days a week and eating under 2000 cals. i havent weighed myself but i do look and feel a little lighter. i only went off the rails twice which im proud of. both times were on rest days. one rest day i got drunk and the other i ate 4 slices of pizza. im trying to eat clean as possible, but have not missed a work out day. this sunday i'll weigh myself and see exactly where im at.

I'm down to 195.6. Only 5.6 more lbs. to go (although I'd like to get to a sickly 185, if possible). I can now see my top two abs clearly and the outline of the next two on the way down. The bottom ones aren't ever coming out but whatever.

Ever since I stopped lifting weights and moved to a cardio-only routine I've been really slimming down. I used to fill an XL t-shirt up top with all this extra material around the waist and now a L fits loose on me. All of these old clothes that I haven't worn in a decade are all fitting just fine now. It's kind of cool but I'm thinking of adding weights after the new year - super low weight and super high reps. I'm turning into a girlyman!

Weekly Weigh-In

CAG Challenge Starting Weight: 223.8

Last Week: 215.2 lbs.
This Week: 211.4 lbs.

Total Weight Loss from CAG Challenge: 12.4 lbs.

I'm not sure why or how keeping track along with a bunch of strangers is working so well, but it is and you guys are fucking awesome :D.

The last time I weighed 211 pounds, I was six foot tall and in the eighth grade :shock:.

According to Lose It, I've only gone over my daily budget on two different days. Once by less than 10 calories and once by a couple hundred, but I have been at least 900 calories or more under budget each since week I've been doing this.

[quote name='Javery']I can now see my top two abs clearly and the outline of the next two on the way down. The bottom ones aren't ever coming out but whatever.

Ever since I stopped lifting weights and moved to a cardio-only routine I've been really slimming down. I used to fill an XL t-shirt up top with all this extra material around the waist and now a L fits loose on me. All of these old clothes that I haven't worn in a decade are all fitting just fine now. It's kind of cool but I'm thinking of adding weights after the new year - super low weight and super high reps. I'm turning into a girlyman![/QUOTE]

I just noticed the same thing this morning, my top abs are definitely visible. I don't think they ever have been before.

I've also got the same thing going on with with all my clothes. XL shirts are really baggy around my midsection, and even the Large shirts are a little loose on me too. The only problem is that Large shirts aren't long enough for me so I ordered a few Large Tall shirts this weekend.

Man, I've been slacking... I exercised Monday and Tuesday last week but couldn't get motivated to get up the rest of the week. I also had a bad weekend with going to an all you can eat "chocolate bar" and going out for dinner since it was my wife's birthday. Luckily I haven't gained any weight, but I need to get back on track.

Last week's weight: 201.2 lbs
Current weight: 201.4
Goal weight: 31.4 pounds to go

I've just discovered a stupid easy tool to help me be better about my health. I'm not sure about the food consumption part of this device, but I've ordered one. Warning though, it's not cheap. I feel it's worth it though. I've been looking for something to tell me about my sleep (well lack of it). Check it out.

www.fitbit.com

I'm down to 194.2. I'm melting!!!

4.2 to go. Pro Tip: nuts are a terrible, high calorie, high fat snack no matter what the talking heads tell you. I dropped nuts from my diet (substituting apples or pears) and I've been able to go right through my "wall" with no other changes to my diet or exercise routine. I feel great.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I've just discovered a stupid easy tool to help me be better about my health. I'm not sure about the food consumption part of this device, but I've ordered one. Warning though, it's not cheap. I feel it's worth it though. I've been looking for something to tell me about my sleep (well lack of it). Check it out.

www.fitbit.com[/QUOTE]

That looks VERY interesting - definitely report back once you've spent some time with it.

Will do boss! Can't wait to get it and use it!

Edit: Just looked at the website again, looks like it works with Lose it! app too.

Height : 5'11"
Starting Weight (Jan 2010): 440 lbs
Last Weeks Weight : 380
Current Weight : 382
Goal : 350

I usually Jog in the AM a good 2 miles from Tuesday till Friday and then I play hockey on Saturday nights. I'm hoping to hit 350 by January. I guess I'm one of those fit fat guys. Yes, I play ice hockey and I play Right Wing and can keep up with he D league players.

I think I've just about had it. I've posted in the previous thread in the past on how I was going to get back in shape and to where I was back in college. However, work has continuously beat me down and exhausted me to where I don't work out anymore after work.

I think I'm finally ready to start exercising on a more regular basis again. I used to run 2 miles a day for 3 or 4 times a week, but saw little progress because I did not change my diet, which obviously should probably change.

Any suggestions for somebody who's looking to eat healthier? Obviously, I'll have to get my tastes to change, and I'm sure I'll still crave pizza come the weekends, etc. I also need to get back in the habit of running and getting on our elliptical again. I still play in a mens hockey league and thankfully we have at least 1 game a week.

I'm around 5'9 185 currently. I used to be around 155 back in college, which is where I'd like to get back to.

Any work out/diet tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

[quote name='GetWhatYaGive']I think I've just about had it. I've posted in the previous thread in the past on how I was going to get back in shape and to where I was back in college. However, work has continuously beat me down and exhausted me to where I don't work out anymore after work.

I think I'm finally ready to start exercising on a more regular basis again. I used to run 2 miles a day for 3 or 4 times a week, but saw little progress because I did not change my diet, which obviously should probably change.

Any suggestions for somebody who's looking to eat healthier? Obviously, I'll have to get my tastes to change, and I'm sure I'll still crave pizza come the weekends, etc. I also need to get back in the habit of running and getting on our elliptical again. I still play in a mens hockey league and thankfully we have at least 1 game a week.

I'm around 5'9 185 currently. I used to be around 155 back in college, which is where I'd like to get back to.

Any work out/diet tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks![/QUOTE]
Start slow. It takes time to build up endurance and eating habits.

You're right about Endurance. All summer I was running quite a bit, however I doubt I'd make it 2 miles now since I haven't run since August unfortunately.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Age : 27
Height : 5'11"
Starting Weight (Jan 2010): 440 lbs
Last Weeks Weight : 380
Current Weight : 382
Goal : 350

I usually Jog in the AM a good 2 miles from Tuesday till Friday and then I play hockey on Saturday nights. I'm hoping to hit 350 by January. I guess I'm one of those fit fat guys. Yes, I play ice hockey and I play Right Wing and can keep up with he D league players.[/QUOTE]

We can start the the 60+ pounds lost club :D. When I started at the end of last year I was 270 lbs. This morning I was 209.8 lbs.

Oh as far as the goal goes, I guarantee you when you get to 350 you'll think, "man, I need to keep going". I know I totally underestimated how overweight I was. When I was 270 I thought for sure if I got down to 225 that I would be pretty fit. I got to 230 or so and thought, man I need to get down to like 190 because there's no way I'll look skinny at 225. Now I'm getting close to 200 and thinking that 180 might be more reasonable. Who knows, I might get to 185 and start wondering if 170 should be my target if I'm still not as lean as I want to be.

Also, GetWhatYaGive, the best thing I've found for building up endurance while running is to cycle between high intensity, interval, and long distance days. Basically, you'll do something along these lines:

Day 1: Long distance run at a pace you feel comfortable talking at. I aim for nothing below 4 miles on these days. It just depends on how much time I have. If you're just starting out, try 2 to 3 miles.
Day 2: High intensity run at 85 to 90 percent of your maximum effort for as long as you possibly can. Usually a mile or two for me.
Day 3: Another long distance run at a pace you feel comfortable talking at.
Day 4: Interval training. What I do is sprint a quarter mile, then jog for roughly twice the amount of time it took me to sprint and repeat until I can't physically do sprints anymore.

The long distance days will allow you to recover from the harder days, but also work on your long term endurance for doing physical activity. The high intensity days will give you a chance to really push yourself to see how long you can maintain near maximum effort. Finally, the interval days help with your lung capacity and overall leg strength by going as hard as you possibly can.

This is what has taken me from barely being able to trot out a full mile in 12 minutes to running a mile in well under 7 minutes. I remember the first time I ran a mile in under 9 minutes, I was 100% positive I was going to die right then and there. Now I can run at a 9 minute pace for like an hour and not feel as exhausted as I did that first time.

One thing I noticed though, if you fall off for a week or more, get ready to feel like you got kicked back a month or two worth of progress. To really stay on top of your game, running requires constant practice.

It does feel good and thanks fellas! Also, if your really into Hockey like my self. GetWhatYaGive, doing a run for 1 minute or 2 and then resting (very slow jog or walk for 3 or 4 minutes) really helped my endurance and Stamina. Just something a hockey friend taught me and has helped a lot.

alright a little update. today marks 30 days of working out and semi eating healthy and the results are in

9/19/11 weight- 237lbs
10/19/11 weight- 224lbs
so i lost 13lbs. im not looking or feeling lighter but i feel more fit so thats a good thing. im doing Power90 for my workouts then i'll do P90X. there really good programs. once i really get more strict with my eating i'll see a bigger weight loss. again the main goal here is after 90 days to be around 200lbs. so one month in the books and i only skipped 1 day which was yesterday because i was sick as a dog. heres to good health and being fit.

Picked up a lot of fruits and vegetables last time I went shopping. Have been doing much better with them (more on the fruits). Portions are going well, too.

I'm down to 160 pounds! I've got a bit more in the stomach/butt/love handles to burn. At least the abs are showing up much better now! :)

I got a nice surprise this morning. I managed to lose 3 pounds since Monday somehow and am finally under 200! I still haven't exercised, but I've been more mindful of what I'm eating.
Last week's weight: 201.4 lbs
Current weight: 198
Goal weight: 28 pounds to go

Weekly update:

Height: 6' 0"
Weight: 191.8
Goal : 190.0

The shit is just melting off of me now. I lost another 2.6 lbs. this week from just doing what I've been doing. Man, who knew that having nuts in your mouth all day was bad for you? I love everything about nuts - the look, the feel, the taste and even just playing with them while I sit at my desk. They are terrible for your weight though so I recommend ditching them for something healthier like a nice thick banana or something.

So you're saying you prefer the girth of a banana to the salty nuts in your mouth?

I limit myself to 1/4 cup (140 calories) of almonds a day.

My weight isn't dropping much but I'm pushing good weight at the gym and I'm this close to going down a loop on my belt.

[quote name='seanr1221']So you're saying you prefer the girth of a banana to the salty nuts in your mouth?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. :D

[quote name='seanr1221']I limit myself to 1/4 cup (140 calories) of almonds a day.

My weight isn't dropping much but I'm pushing good weight at the gym and I'm this close to going down a loop on my belt.[/QUOTE]

Try swapping out the nuts for an apple. It worked wonders for me. Also, slice the apple into thin pieces - makes you feel like you are eating more. I was eating about 3/4 cup of mixed nuts per day, which is a lot I guess but it didn't feel like it.

Weekly Weigh-In

Starting Weight: 223.8

Last Week: 209.8 lbs.
This Week: 208.0 lbs.

Total Weight Loss: 15.8 pounds

I honestly have no idea how I lost weight this week because I had a total drop off. I pulled/tweaked my quad on Tuesday and it was sore enough to keep me from doing much of anything for the rest of the week except my weight lifting day for chest/triceps. Yesterday was probably the first day that it really started feeling back to 100%.

According to Lose It, I was only at ~500 calories on both Monday and Tuesday (net, because of the amount of exercise, I actually ate the full allotment for the day) so that put me well under at the start of the week. Then from every day on I was in the red because I over ate and went for some shitty, calorie dense foods. It was strange because it's almost as if sitting around doing nothing made me more hungry than my active days. By the end of the week I was barely under the weekly total.

Not entireley relevant but i though i would share since this thread needs some more motivation. This is kind of a before and after post. This is about a Year and a Half after my lifestyle change. Results and Pics from my weekend event this past Saturday.

Before:
main.php

Iron Crusader 2011 [link]
Placed: 146 out of 1014
Distance: 3.5mi (3.25mi via GPS Watch)
Time: 31:33

Fire:
main.php
Finish Line:
main.php
Mud Pits:
main.php

For The Record:
Height: 6'
Starting Weight: 255 lbs
Current Weight: 178 lbs
Total Weight Loss: 77 lbs

Weekly Weigh-In

Height: 6'2"
Starting Weight: 300 lbs

Last Week: 287 lbs
This Week: 284 lbs

Total Weight Loss: 16 lbs

I started to plateau after the first 10 lbs, I was going right up the the caloric intake every day, but never went over. About 5 weeks in though the weight started coming off again and I dropped 3 lbs this week.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I've just discovered a stupid easy tool to help me be better about my health. I'm not sure about the food consumption part of this device, but I've ordered one. Warning though, it's not cheap. I feel it's worth it though. I've been looking for something to tell me about my sleep (well lack of it). Check it out.

www.fitbit.com[/QUOTE]

I got it but... I decided to return it. Just don't know if it's worth it after all.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I got it but... I decided to return it. Just don't know if it's worth it after all.[/QUOTE]

Oh well. I'm about to buy an iPod Nano because of the stopwatch and Nike+ features. I can't decide on whether to get the 4GB or 8GB one though - it's only a $20 difference so I'll probably go for the 8GB but my 1GB shuffle has been PLENTY for exercising purposes.

Any of you guys used a Nano before? My one concern is that I might not be able to skip a song while I'm running without looking at the screen. The shuffle has actual buttons you can feel making it easy. Any thoughts?

[quote name='Javery']Oh well. I'm about to buy an iPod Nano because of the stopwatch and Nike+ features. I can't decide on whether to get the 4GB or 8GB one though - it's only a $20 difference so I'll probably go for the 8GB but my 1GB shuffle has been PLENTY for exercising purposes.

Any of you guys used a Nano before? My one concern is that I might not be able to skip a song while I'm running without looking at the screen. The shuffle has actual buttons you can feel making it easy. Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Can't speak for the Nano (I have a Shuffle), but, are you going to be using Apple earbuds with the controls on them? If so, you can skip that way. I'm not even sure if a Nano comes with that type of earbuds. (The iPhone does.)

[quote name='Javery']Oh well. I'm about to buy an iPod Nano because of the stopwatch and Nike+ features. I can't decide on whether to get the 4GB or 8GB one though - it's only a $20 difference so I'll probably go for the 8GB but my 1GB shuffle has been PLENTY for exercising purposes.

Any of you guys used a Nano before? My one concern is that I might not be able to skip a song while I'm running without looking at the screen. The shuffle has actual buttons you can feel making it easy. Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I have an older style nano that I use with the wheel. I got one of the arm bands and I have no problem skipping songs without looking at it.

[quote name='Rig']Can't speak for the Nano (I have a Shuffle), but, are you going to be using Apple earbuds with the controls on them? If so, you can skip that way. I'm not even sure if a Nano comes with that type of earbuds. (The iPhone does.)[/QUOTE]

Nah, I use 3rd party (Sony) in-ear headphones. I cannot stand the Apple ones that don't fit, fall out easily and don't exclude outside sounds. I didn't think of that though - maybe I can invest in a new pair of Sony headphones if they sell them with those features...

[quote name='blindinglights']I have an older style nano that I use with the wheel. I got one of the arm bands and I have no problem skipping songs without looking at it.[/QUOTE]

The new Nanos are all touch screen based, right? The old ones have the wheel which is definitely workable for skipping songs without looking. Maybe I need to go to the Apple store and play around with one...

[quote name='Javery']The new Nanos are all touch screen based, right? The old ones have the wheel which is definitely workable for skipping songs without looking. Maybe I need to go to the Apple store and play around with one...[/QUOTE]

My mistake, I don't keep up with the Apple products. Didn't even realize they switched all of them to touch screens. I'm not even sure how old mine is, it was an unclaimed lost and found item.

bread's done
Back