CAG MLB Season Discussion

Does anyone know if there is a consensus can't miss number 1 pick next year? If there is, I'm hoping the Reds can lose a few more games to get it. If not, saving a few extra dollars but staying in the Top 5 might help them more if it allows them to draft and sign better options in the later rounds.

I love that the Nats are bad and I really can't hate on the Mets.  Good for them.

When I moved about a year ago and decided to not get cable, I was sad that I would miss almost every Phillies game.  These last 2 seasons made that seem like a great decision.

I think the Nats are desperately wanting to copy their style.
They've been copying for years. Signed Jayson Werth, traded for Papelbon, unofficial nickname of their ballpark is Citizens Bank South. Haven't been able to win a title, though. :D

I love that the Nats are bad and I really can't hate on the Mets. Good for them.

When I moved about a year ago and decided to not get cable, I was sad that I would miss almost every Phillies game. These last 2 seasons made that seem like a great decision.
Can't hate on the Mets? But ... they're the Mets!
My MLB.tv sub hasn't been getting as much use given the state of the Phillies. But breaking news ... Amaro given the boot!

I didn't use to hate the Mets, but they came to Camden Yards this season and their fans are just as awful as the Yankees fans.
I would argue that they are worse than Yankee fans. They are loud, obnoxious and talk so much trash at games. I have never been to a series at Marlins Park (or the old stadium, Joe Robbie for that matter) where Mets fans did not make me completely miserable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would argue that they are worse than Yankee fans. They are loud, obnoxious and talk so much trash at games. I have never been to a series at Marlins Park (or the old stadium, Joe Robbie for that matter) where Mets fans did not make me completely miserable.
I can't remember if it was a Mets fan in PHI or a Phillies fan in NYM but I recall an incident a couple of years ago where one of the fans was an overweight lady who was wearing a blanket with the visiting teams logo on it and the whole crowd erupted into a "pig in a blanket" chant. As in, the WHOLE crowd. I'd have to say that takes the cake as the most obnoxious fans ever to humiliate some poor fan who just wanted to see their team play.

Yogi Berra passed away last night :(

He was arguably the greatest catcher ever. He was a great ambassador for the game, and you can argue that he did more for the game of baseball off the field than as a player. 

Rest in peace.

It really sucks that he died. Some of his stats being talked about today are fascinating, like the fact that Bryce Harper already has 25 more career strikeouts than Yogi had over a 19 year career. In 1950, he had 12 strikeouts in 658 plate appearances.

Hoping Texas can keep rolling. I know the Jays are favorites, but aside from game 163 a few years back Texas has had Price's number in the playoffs.

Ruben Tejada broke his fibula last night in a collision at 2nd. I don't know how big a part of their offense he is but its got to be a huge blow to them to lose their starting SS right now.

EDIT - It looks like Utley was suspended 2 games for the slide.

Big game tonight for the Mets.  I like that Kershaw is going on only 3 days rest, but it's still Kershaw.  It'll be a good game either way.

It really is silly that the Cubs have the best record of any remaining NL team, but yet they are the low seed no matter who wins the Dodgers/Mets series.

So amped this morning!!  I can't believe they pulled it off.  The way LA was hitting off of deGrom, you would have thought it was 8-1, but he managed to shut them down every inning.  

Let's Go Mets!!

z94peI2.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySP-BdFS-z8

I find it amazingly hilarious that the Cubs got eliminated on Back to the Future Day

Belated congrats to Royals fans, it looks like they finally came through this year. Another franchise that has waited awhile for a winning team again.

No qualms from this Phillies fan about seeing the Royals win.  Had hoped to see an '08 alum win another ring, just didn't think it would be Ryan Madson over Utley, Rollins or Hamels.  Though another member from the Phillies organization in 2008 getting another ring can't help but make one think what might have been.

In other news, I imagine Stephen Strasburg felt an odd twinge in his throwing elbow the other day.

I guess reports are saying Tommy Hanson has died today after going into a coma. Really, really shitty. I enjoyed watching him with the Braves. When he was coming up, it seemed like he was going to be the next great Braves pitcher. I know he had some arm trouble and bounced around a few teams since he left Atlanta. I'm not sure if he would've ever made it back to the majors. It just sucks that he's gone. 29 is way too young to die. I feel bad for his parents because his younger brother also passed away a couple years ago.

Voter fatigue. Crawford has become a good defender in his own right, but Simmons and Kiermaier are in a class of their own defensively.
But that doesn't explain why Molina has won 8 straight while Simmons was only at 2. Though I didn't realize that it wasn't a straight manager / coach vote anymore, and that the SABR Defensive Index accounted for 25% of it. Crawford had a slight edge there, but not as big as a couple other catchers did over Molina.

http://sabr.org/sdi/2015-final

Can't say if that's an appropriate stat to use for awards, or if it's as bad as "OMG ALL THOSE RBIS == MVP!!!"

I'm too lazy right now to look up how that stat is calculated so if someone wants to explain it that'd be great, but the problem with some of these sabermetric stats is that they tell us a number, but not a whole lot else. I'm really against any stat being used in place of votes really, but most of the sabermetric defensive statistics I've seen so far are way to inconsistent to be given a quarter of the voting process.

This doesn't say exactly how the component stats are used to calculate the SDI, if it's just a weighted sum or some other method.  It says the SDI is converted into 30 votes.  It doesn't say if the top player gets all 30 (which would probably cover Crawford over Simmons) or #1 gets X of those 30 votes, #2 gets Y votes, etc.  These are included with the votes from the managers and up to 6 coaches.  If every coaching staff member submits a vote, that's 7 * 15 = 105 coaching staff votes per league.  The 30 SDI votes would then be 30 / 135 = 22.22% of the results.

Given some of the results of past Gold Glove voting (Palmeiro, Jeter), I think a stat component is a welcome addition.  Granted, the sabremetric defensive stats are still a work in progress, but it's not entirely on the shoulders of the good ol' boy coaching network anymore.

But that doesn't explain why Molina has won 8 straight while Simmons was only at 2. Though I didn't realize that it wasn't a straight manager / coach vote anymore, and that the SABR Defensive Index accounted for 25% of it. Crawford had a slight edge there, but not as big as a couple other catchers did over Molina.

http://sabr.org/sdi/2015-final

Can't say if that's an appropriate stat to use for awards, or if it's as bad as "OMG ALL THOSE RBIS == MVP!!!"
I'm not familiar with how that stat was composed. Simmons had Crawford in DRS and UZR, and Crawford edged him in FRAA. Simmons was almost literally a teleporting alien his first season, while he's merely been a wizard since. I'm guessing him being 90% of his previous glory and Crawford also being very good was enough to get Crawford the nod in the minds of voters.

Speaking of Simmons, Jonah Keri is reporting that the Braves are working on a trade with a team from the NL West.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb-trade-rumors-braves-discuss-044324793.html;_ylt=AwrTcdvIHURWd34At3InnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByNWU4cGh1BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--

It'd make some sense for the Braves to do this, provided they get an MLB-ready prospect plus something(s) else. If Simmons advances offensively, those gains will probably be offset as he loses defensive value due to aging, and the Braves don't look to be competitive within the next couple of seasons. And if he never progresses offensively, his value will only decline from where it is now.

Given some of the results of past Gold Glove voting (Palmeiro, Jeter), I think a stat component is a welcome addition. Granted, the sabremetric defensive stats are still a work in progress, but it's not entirely on the shoulders of the good ol' boy coaching network anymore.
If it is a stat that is actually useful in evaluating defense sure, but just because someone came up with a stat and declared it to be valid isn't any better than popular opinion really.

Joel Sherman is reporting that the Braves have traded Andrelton Simmons to the LA Angels for Erick Aybar and two minor league pitchers, Chris Ellis and Sean Newcomb (the Angels #1 prospect). The Angels are also sending $3 million dollars.

If it is a stat that is actually useful in evaluating defense sure, but just because someone came up with a stat and declared it to be valid isn't any better than popular opinion really.
I read into the SDI stat, and it's legit. It uses batted ball and play by play data, and uses multiple sources for both types of defensive data, smoothing out discrepancies that could arise from the differing sources. One thing that isn't measured his pitch framing for catchers, which is an oversight that should be corrected, considering that that is the most important aspect of defensive catching.

Yay, more pitching prospects. That'll really help the offense.
I thought they were going to trade Simmons to the Dodgers for Puig.

As a fan of baseball, I'm thrilled that I'll get to regularly watch Simmons play defense. I'd be similarly thrilled if the Angels decided to spend $200 million to sign Heyward and go all in on a crazy defense.

bread's done
Back