CAG Niche Backloggers Anonymous (Monster Hunter World!) [February]

So you guys want to list the niche games you bought on Black Friday to find some sort of common ground? I assume we all bought recently released/discounted games, and probably all went for similar deals.

Mine is: Nioh, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5, Yakuza 0, and Yakuza Kiwami.

It's December and the thread title says October. Bleh
Same results every month anyway.

7dYYZaf.gif

I'll be playing it for the quest completion bonuses since nothing is saved once you close the application. Also, I finished Xenoblade Chronicles 2.  :whistle2:

Just play whatever Black Friday game you bought. And make a post about it if you wish.
^This

ive been addicted to Watch Dogs 2. theres some things i reallly like and some things that i found real sloppy. final spoiler filled verdict once i complete the campaign. i recently quit my job so until the new year i have nothing but time. i fully plan on playing RE7 after WD2

I'm just going to give a minor update so far.

Kiwami 2 - It's better than Yakuza 6 and Kiwami, but not by much. They cut out a lot of the original quests and one whole area from the original. :shame: Ignorance is bliss. I'll probably fully complete this early next year.

Drive Girls - On hold for little bit until my friend gets her copy. I read playing through the MP quickly helps you clear the SP much faster.

Dark Rose Valkyrie - On hold until I finish Creed. Shouldn't be too long before I finally start it.

Monster Monpiece - Fun and cheap game to play minus the rub-stuff grind. I'm about halfway through the SP since boosting the MP gives you tons of money for card packs. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I finished Nioh. Just need like 1 more trophy for the plat. It's a great game and would recommend to anyone that likes the Souls type games. If anyone does have it and needs help then just let me know. I could help beat bosses.

Played through the main campaign of yakuza Kiwami. It reminded me how much I hate gun mechanics in the series, but it was alright overall. I'm bummed that I bought it at launch for the steelbook but I didn't actually get around to playing it until the steelbook version was seeing discounts over 50%.

Beat Tokyo Xanadu eX+ sometime late last week all the way through the After Story. Easily the most disappointing/worst Falcom game I've played. I'll do a writeup on it in the other thread I'm sure. I don't think it'd be particularly long like Utawarerumono or Xenoblade. The game was just kind of... alright. Had some good parts at times though.

I just beat Horizon and got the platinum for it too. Another great game and can see why it's considered one of the best of the year. The story was intriguing, music great, graphics beautiful, and gameplay fun. Honestly though, it felt like a higher quality Ubisoft game to me.

Really enjoyed both Horizon and Nioh a lot but from those 2 I enjoyed Nioh slightly more. I want to play the DLC for both but will wait for a sale or coupon to get them.

As a side note, I got really excited today because I got a PlayStation email congratulating me for the Nioh platinum. I thought it was another exclusive theme like for Bloodborne but it was just a picture saying congratulation..

Edit: Looks like I got a theme and avatar for the Horizon plat!

so Watch Dogs 2 is DONE. some things i 

Liked

the open world is awesome i barely used fast travel i liked driving around, cali looks great and the side objectives are fun like scoutX visit all the touristy spots and take selfies and DriverSF basically your an Uber driver (some of the people you pick up are really funny) the music is pretty good,i liked the anonymous style videos that dedsec puts together after big missions. most of the missions were fun and let you tackle them in a variety of ways. the main character you play as Marcus is a really good character the rest of the cast...

Disliked

....are really just stereotypes of "hackers" Wrench is a walking meme, Josh is super introverted who can barely speak full sentences. some missions i didnt like were two in particular that forced me to use guns. up until that point i was playing the entire game non lethal. the whole crew are like goofy mischievous hackers making bad puns and jokes with each other and suddenly your pulling a gun out and killing,massive spoiler right here -->
when they suddenly decide in the story to kill off horatio it felt so unnecessary and shoe horned into the game and after the fact its like the characters got over his death super quick.
the ending felt kind dull 

overall i give it an 8/10 i liked it 

next up......Resident Evil 7 

I started playing Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge. When I looked at what games I finished last year I noticed there wasn't a single Xbox 360 game on the list. There wasn't a PS3 game either.

I then played a couple missions in Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus. I might make this a ninja month. I've been trying to beat Survival Hard in Street Fighter V with Ibuki. Maybe I'll start practicing with Strider in Marvel vs Capcom Infinite.

My plan for this month is playing Batman Telltale game. After that I'll start Nier: Automata. That should hold me up until MH World and that will be my February game as well.

Still working on my Black Friday backlog. None of them are Japanese niche games though. Played through Uncharted Lost Legacy, and For Honor. Once I get through a few more of these, I'll start reworking on the niche backlog, since the Japanese games tend to be longer and more grindy.

SO's been playing Lego City Undercover, which wasn't really designed with co-op in mind, so I've been playing the Switch (mostly Picross, but picked up some cheaper games yesterday). So picross, blaster master zero, some Japanese yokai dungeon crawling game, and mahjong.

I think I saw that on the Switch eShop. Is it decent at all?
I tried it out for maybe 10 minutes. I had potential, but the controls are not great. No option to use the D-Pad on the joycon, but the little nub made tons of movement mistakes, which isn't a great thing for a roguelike.

My update for late 2017/early 2018.

Fate/stay night [Realta Nua] - 
rsz_1rsz_1150800277959946.png

Yakuza Kiwami 2 - 

Monster Monpiece - 

I'll get around to Dark Rose Valkyrie. I'm also looking forward to Monster Hunter: World at the end of the month. :)

Disappointing that the youkai themed roguelike has issues. Granted I use a Pro controller. Saw the other 3D top-down roguelike on the Switch eStore too, but $30 was a bit much.

I've played a little bit of Dark Rose Valkyrie because a friend bought it so I figured I'd give it a try. Honestly it's not really good. It has some interesting concepts, but the battle system is overly bloated. It's better than Omega Quintet at the very least though. Granted that's not really saying much since I consider Omega Quintet a bad game.

I should really get around to seriously playing Spiderweb Software games. I own most of them but never played one to completion despite being really good indie RPGs.

Finally got around to finishing endings A-E of Nier automata. There were definitely a couple high points, but I still could never really get into it the whole way through. I'm happy I'm done with it, but I still don't really understand the hype around the game.

I beat Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge on Hard. That game was awesome. At first I was kind of disappointed essence is no longer a thing, but then I really started to enjoy how everything was reworked. Steel on the Bone linking quick kills, quick Ultimate Techniques and Ninpo attacks coming from doing a lot of damage. And aside from finding Golden Scarabs, there not being any items to pick up. Health recovery was handled well with the absence of elixirs.

It's bizarre that the vanilla Ninja Gaiden 3 didn't have limb dismemberment. Hacking off limbs and doing Obliteration Techniques is so satisfying. And it helps set up easy Steel on the Bone techniques.

Having chapter challenges and trials with Hayabusa, Ayane, Kasumi, and Momiji is great. I was thinking of getting Warriors All-Stars because plowing through a swarm of enemies as the DOA characters sounds fun, but Razor's Edge is giving me exactly that.

Finally got around to finishing endings A-E of Nier automata. There were definitely a couple high points, but I still could never really get into it the whole way through. I'm happy I'm done with it, but I still don't really understand the hype around the game.
Like I said when I played it in March, I would have liked it a lot more if I was 10 years younger. It doesn't really have the same wow factor when you've probably already experienced the mind blowing ideas.

Disappointing that the youkai themed roguelike has issues. Granted I use a Pro controller. Saw the other 3D top-down roguelike on the Switch eStore too, but $30 was a bit much.
Yea, I put them all on my wishlist for when they go on sale. All the other ones seem to be more similar to the Omega Labyrinth / Curry God / Shiren type dungeon crawlers, which are not my thing. And the original roguelikes are great for playing when you have time and stopping/pausing whenever. Like waiting for the water to boil, etc. I used to play them on a second computer while waiting in MMO raids, and can just leave it be when I need to focus, without any fear of dying. Which is why I play those portable now. If I had bigger blocks of time each sitting, I'd probably play something else.

I was finally able to beat Survival Hard with Ibuki in Street Fighter V. It became more about the feat than the fight money.

The game tried to screw me over by having round 48 Fang go apeshit, then giving me an RNG low health recovery option after Fang dropped me to 5% health. Setting me up for 30% health against round 49 M Bison. Bison is the character that gave me the most problems as Ibuki, but I was able to get him into the vortex that exploits his AI. After that the final round against Necalli wasn't a challenge.

I just beat Nier: Automata with the true ending. It was an amazing game, might of been my game of the year if not for Persona 5. The characters, story, and gameplay were all fantastic. The music however might of been the best I ever heard. I really loved it and might buy the soundtrack if it's available. I'm going to do some trophy clean up and got for the platinum.

Well I got the platinum for Nier. I was grinding my life away when I remembered there was a trophy shop. I got like 10 trophies and the plat in a couple minutes. Feels like I cheated.

Now I wait for MH World. Also going to try out Psycho Pass on my commute to school. That's going to be my schedule for February.

I just beat Nier: Automata with the true ending. It was an amazing game, might of been my game of the year if not for Persona 5. The characters, story, and gameplay were all fantastic. The music however might of been the best I ever heard. I really loved it and might buy the soundtrack if it's available. I'm going to do some trophy clean up and got for the platinum.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Yeah, I felt it was really amazing too, and if not for P5 and Horizon, it would have taken the crown. I do understand the complaints, but I feel like it was more able the style of game it inherently is, the musou-type of gameplay not everyone likes, rather than an actual flaw of the game.

But yeah, the music is probably the best I ever heard too, I would rank the soundtrack amongst the best, around Metal Gear Solid and Bayonetta's level. The soundtrack does come back in stock ever so often in the Square Enix store btw, and they even have the vinyl copies out now.

I didn't go for the plat yet, since I don't really wanna do the trophy shop thing. But I'll get back to it eventually and work on the DLC too. The characters are just too lovable for me, and I want to revisit those side quests again some day. Those side quests were another great aspect, and were pretty unique and not the regular kill and fetch quests

I'm focusing on western titles for this month, but I am enjoying what I have played of Dark Rose Valkyrie so far. I can't wait for Monster Hunter World though. I have the CE, Rathalos PS4 Pro, and 2 extras of the MH controllers ordered. :bouncy:

I didn't go for the plat yet, since I don't really wanna do the trophy shop thing.
I didn't use the trophy shop since I wanted to go through it just like the original. From what I remember, the only grinding I had to do was for one upgrade item which spawned in a cradle and entering a zone to get a special enemy to show up. Both of those took me around 8-10 minutes each and everything else was kind of natural. After all of it, it took me around 40-ish hours to get the platinum without the shop.

I finished Episode Prompto for Final Fantasy XV. Eh. For $4 it was a thing. I'll play Episode Ignis next week.

I wonder how much I skipped in the side missions? I did the first one you see, then one with a level 99 giant mech. I then continued the story, and that was it. The amount of upgrades you can do to your vehicle makes me think a lot more side missions can pop up.

I also finished the Gessen Academy story in Shinovi Versus. I'm in the middle of the Hanzo Academy story. It was a bit rough going from Ninja Gaiden's combat to Senran Kagura's.

I finished Episode Ignis. It's probably my favorite episode. The bad thing about it is it's so short, and that's a shame because I liked it's gameplay.

What I also liked about it is you see what else happens during a part of the main game. The episodes for Gladio and Prompto take place away from the main game. That's just personal preference though. I could see how someone else might like how those episodes take you to new places.

Prompto's was my least favorite episode. I wasn't that in to using guns. I never equipped guns in the main game.

I thought I would delete the game once I finished the episodes, but then I remembered I still haven't played the added side story for chapter 13 yet. And I heard there is a secret dungeon that is only available after you beat the game. I want to check that out.

In Shinovi Versus I finished the Hanzo Academy story, and I'm around the beginning of the story for Hebijo Academy. They're not in the main menu, but I'm guessing Crimson Squad becomes available after you complete the first three schools. I was hoping to finish all the school stories this month, but I don't think that's going to happen.

So anyone want to play Monster Hunter World for the February game of the month?

I figured it's been since Persona 5 that we had so many people buy and play the same game.

So I was wondering, what happens when a weapon runs out of sharpness? The little dagger icon under the stamina bar is the sharpness meter right? And I see it break from time to time. So if it breaks all the way is the weapon broken too? And how many levels are there for that meter?

So I was wondering, what happens when a weapon runs out of sharpness? The little dagger icon under the stamina bar is the sharpness meter right? And I see it break from time to time. So if it breaks all the way is the weapon broken too? And how many levels are there for that meter?
Your weapon begins to lose it's damage multiplier with every color that drops; same with elemental. Not to mention the lower the sharpness is, the more your attacks will bounce off monsters.

Currently, there are 6 levels of sharpness: white > blue > green > yellow > orange > red. There is a 7th, purple, but that will be unlocked once G-Rank quests are introduced.

So always keep your sharpness at it's max when possible. It's usually best to do it once a monster breaks off to another area. Lastly, upgrade your weapon to increase sharpness durability.

There is an equipment skill for the bowgun that increases the holding amount for ammo types. It's called "Free Elem/Ammo Up" and it's on a charm with up to three levels (Some -> Many -> Most Ammo). It also says it draws out the hidden element (33%/66%/100%). I do not know how much it actually increases the ammo capacity though.

The regular bow uses coatings, but I haven't seen anything in regards to that.

By the way, if any of you want into the CAG squad, just send me a message if you see me on Monster Hunter and I can invite you to my lobby (or vise versa) so I can send out an invite. I've had people friend request me to get added, but only one so far has asked for an invite since I can't do it unless they're in the same lobby.

I friended you, but yea, I haven't joined the same lobby as you yet. I'll do that if I see you on tonight.

Been soloing to learn how to really play and going back to farm a little in multiplayer.

Also wish wyvernblast scaled up a bit. It feels like constant damage so far. Which is great for early on and smaller monsters.

So this is more like asking for advice, than a straight out question. But I'm in the first few quests of the game, how should I choose/upgrade my equipment? Should I go straight for the next tier every time I unlock/have enough materials, for the next weapon/armor upgrade, or should I wait and save up my monster parts and money? Also, as for the armor spheres to level up, should I save them until I have equipment I'm gonna use for a while, or use them frequently since they might be easy to earn?

For food stuff, all I really have are the starting materials, 10 potions, and the occasional berries that don't seem too useful for what I can craft. Should I stock up? Since I seem to really be lacking health potions alternatives when I'm on the go, hunting a monster.

There's also a lot of random items in my equipment like lightning rods or something. Should I begin familiarizing myself with these items or will there be future missions that explain how they work.

Lastly, any tips on good starting weapons for beginners? I'm using the long bone sword right now, since it seems the most intuitive, but I find myself missing a lot of shots, and taking too long to kill the monsters.

Also, Draekon, when do you usually go on? I think I go on much later than you do weekdays, but I'll try to use remote play or something just to go into your lobby to get the squad invite.

Thanks guys for the help, much appreciated.

1. But I'm in the first few quests of the game, how should I choose/upgrade my equipment? Should I go straight for the next tier every time I unlock/have enough materials, for the next weapon/armor upgrade, or should I wait and save up my monster parts and money?

2. Also, as for the armor spheres to level up, should I save them until I have equipment I'm gonna use for a while, or use them frequently since they might be easy to earn?

3. For food stuff, all I really have are the starting materials, 10 potions, and the occasional berries that don't seem too useful for what I can craft. Should I stock up? Since I seem to really be lacking health potions alternatives when I'm on the go, hunting a monster.

4. There's also a lot of random items in my equipment like lightning rods or something. Should I begin familiarizing myself with these items or will there be future missions that explain how they work.

5. Lastly, any tips on good starting weapons for beginners? I'm using the long bone sword right now, since it seems the most intuitive, but I find myself missing a lot of shots, and taking too long to kill the monsters.

Thanks guys for the help, much appreciated.
1. Just pick whatever you think looks good or has high defense stats. Low Rank equipment isn't worth investing into much because it won't be long before you get into High Rank where you will craft better versions of those armors. So pick whatever you like and don't forget your Palico if playing solo. Ideally, you should give your Palico the opposite weapon type of what you are wielding. Example: pairing a severing weapon with a blunt weapon to compensate.

2. I would save them at that point, but if you feel that you are dying too much then go ahead and use them to upgrade your armor a bit. You get more by taking bounties by the research team in front of the market.

3. Be active in picking up everything along the way to your target. If you feel like you need more health potions then load up ancient forest in expedition and gather the herbs in the first area. They will always respawn over time and so does the honey (potions + honey = mega potions) which is down the little stream from where the herbs are.

4. If your referring to armor, those are elements which it is strong/weak against. If your referring to weapons, those are the elements/status effects they cause. Take note of them for now, but once in High Rank, they will play a larger role once enemy types matter.

5. Sword and Shield. It has great mobility, a shield to block, and swift attacks. It's not the most ideal weapon for end game, but it will help you get started with the basics before moving on to other weapons imo.

Also, Draekon, when do you usually go on? I think I go on much later than you do weekdays, but I'll try to use remote play or something just to go into your lobby to get the squad invite.
I'm very much a morning person. I wake up anywhere from 4AM to 6AM CST. I sometimes like to get a little bit of playtime in the early morning, but for the most part you'll see me on in the evening if I'm playing something on console. I don't really play nights. If you see me on during the day, it's most likely because I forgot to turn off the console. I'm trying to do that less.

If I'm in Netflix/Amazon Video, I have notifications disabled during then. So I won't see anything if you send anything during that time.

Just wanted to say, thanks for all the help so far, the advice really helped clear things up for me! The sword and shield are great now, I've been doing way better with it.

I got quite a few more questions, but I'll make them short and concise this time.

1) So I've been mainly choosing armor based on how it looks on my waifu. Is this the right approach, since I've kept the starter helmet since the beginning cause it looks the best. Is this how most of the game will be like, or will there eventually be drastic differences in armor capabilities that force me to change?

2) Is there a life bar for the monsters you are tracking? I notice the tiny heart rate monitor near the minimap, but it doesn't seem to indicate any actual progress. I also see the skull icon on the monster, but that doesn't happen until much later in the fight.

3) I am guessing for the hunting missions (even hunting monsters you previously killed) you still have to track their footprints first right? That's pretty much routine? Find the first set of footprints, have scoutflies track them, then hunt them? Seems a little mundane to have to do it each time, especially when a map starts filling up with monsters, and you already have high research levels. Or does the monster icon automatically appear on the map when your monster research level is max or something?

4) Someone mentioned a lobby where you can see other people's characters? I know you can't in the base, and the official MP video didn't say anything. Would be cool to interact with others before the missions.

5) What do research points do besides use them for the botanist ancient tree and buy fertilizer?

6) I'm starting to get side missions telling me to capture monsters. Will there eventually be a story mission and tutorial on capturing them, or do I figure this out myself?

7) So for multiplayer, I understand that the more players a mission the more difficult it is and the stronger the monster. What if I set the player count to 4, but play the mission alone? Is it still harder? Or does it stay the same as soloing since no one joined?

8) When I do gathering quests/slay small monsters quests, on the map it shows me on the pre-quest screen, it changes a bit. Like for the vespiod one it shows where the vespiods are. But when I start the mission, the symbols are no longer there, and I don't even see the vespiods when I go to those areas. So what's that about?

That's all there is for now. Thank you very much for the help.

1) So I've been mainly choosing armor based on how it looks on my waifu. Is this the right approach, since I've kept the starter helmet since the beginning cause it looks the best. Is this how most of the game will be like, or will there eventually be drastic differences in armor capabilities that force me to change?

2) Is there a life bar for the monsters you are tracking? I notice the tiny heart rate monitor near the minimap, but it doesn't seem to indicate any actual progress. I also see the skull icon on the monster, but that doesn't happen until much later in the fight.

3) I am guessing for the hunting missions (even hunting monsters you previously killed) you still have to track their footprints first right? That's pretty much routine? Find the first set of footprints, have scoutflies track them, then hunt them? Seems a little mundane to have to do it each time, especially when a map starts filling up with monsters, and you already have high research levels. Or does the monster icon automatically appear on the map when your monster research level is max or something?

4) Someone mentioned a lobby where you can see other people's characters? I know you can't in the base, and the official MP video didn't say anything. Would be cool to interact with others before the missions.

5) What do research points do besides use them for the botanist ancient tree and buy fertilizer?

6) I'm starting to get side missions telling me to capture monsters. Will there eventually be a story mission and tutorial on capturing them, or do I figure this out myself?

7) So for multiplayer, I understand that the more players a mission the more difficult it is and the stronger the monster. What if I set the player count to 4, but play the mission alone? Is it still harder? Or does it stay the same as soloing since no one joined?

8) When I do gathering quests/slay small monsters quests, on the map it shows me on the pre-quest screen, it changes a bit. Like for the vespiod one it shows where the vespiods are. But when I start the mission, the symbols are no longer there, and I don't even see the vespiods when I go to those areas. So what's that about?

That's all there is for now. Thank you very much for the help.
1) You mostly want armor for the skills they have. For example, you need a piece to stop losing health constantly in one area.

3) Your scoutflies lose levels when you stop hunting that monster. So for optimal farming, I guess you should focus on one thing at a time. Not that I do. I think when it's fully leveled, the first footprint will tell you where it is.

5) You can pay for food with it, setup bases, send hunting parties, buy special item packages, etc. I've been hoarding it since money seem to be slightly easier to get. There could be more I haven't unlocked myself yet. Edit: The camps need research points to setup. Realized it sounded like you can setup camp anywhere.

6) There's probably already a hunt in your list for it. I didn't realize the tutorial-esque mission was in my list until I've captured a dozen monsters. I want to say it's an investigation. You have to enable it with the researchers to have it show up as a quest you can start.

7) Monsters scale to 2.6x with 2-4 players, even if they leave afterwards. Personally, I either start missions with 1 slot to solo, or 4 slots if I want to use a flare. Just so one person doesn't come in and make it harder.

8) Those little vesipods or whatever are the little insects flying around. Not an actual monster.

bread's done
Back