CAG Socom Thread-SONY SHUTTING DOWN SERVERS AUGUST 31 for S1-CA Tue&Sun10pmEST

FYI: For the Beta (and the full game release):

If you are not Smog (or md) please do not create the CAG clan.

Thank You For Your Cooperation
CAG Socom Addicts

guys, i got a private beta code in my email, but im already a ps plus member and arent all ps plus members getting the beta? im willing to give this code out to somebody, like godlbug or mister b, what should i do, is this my ps plus code or something, should i wait till next week to give somebody the private code in case it becomes available on ps plus?

It's available on plus next week the 22nd. I would love the code it would save me 18 bucks on a 3 month plus membership lol. But you could get it a week early with the code. Private Message me the code if you don't want it for sure

Yeah I got excited until I hit the patch. It's going mad slow but I'm waiting up. Probably be done around 230. Either way in on all day tomorrow for sure. Thanks again playerito!!!!

[quote name='m_d_amore']437 MB DL with a 1.5GB update guess i wont be playing for an hour lol[/QUOTE]

Nooo!!! Damn I guess I will start playing by Thursday.

I put in a good 15hrs so far. We are all under NDA so we cant say much. But it feels like a 3rd person MAG with a tiny bit of Socom sprinkled on top. Although they did change the rounds today from 7 7minute rounds to 11 5 minute rounds which should help a bit.

[quote name='MisterBee']I'm on my phone but would someone kindly report the post above me, selling beta codes is a violation of CAG TOS.[/QUOTE]

Honestly had no clue, Ill just take it down then.

What do you guys think of the full deployment edition for those of us who don't have a move yet, I am considering since I have Killzone 3 already...

[quote name='rvdrock']What do you guys think of the full deployment edition for those of us who don't have a move yet, I am considering since I have Killzone 3 already...[/QUOTE]

I'll be going with the move bundle since I don't have any of the stuff included in it. For an extra $90 it's a pretty good deal when you count up everything you get. I'm so looking forward to this game.

[quote name='smiggity']Wait til Tuesday...I'm just hoping the game is decent with the clan b/c as of now it is not Socom and needs MAJOR changes[/QUOTE]

Have you been posting on the exclusive beta forum that was announced on the Zipper podcast? What's the consensus of the community there and is zipper responding to some of the concerns?

[quote name='Cigarl']Have you been posting on the exclusive beta forum that was announced on the Zipper podcast? What's the consensus of the community there and is zipper responding to some of the concerns?[/QUOTE]

Yes Im posting there, ill copy/paste some stuff NDA be damned they really fucked us with this game. Ive had a couple moments where that Socom feel comes back but so many of this games mechanics are messed up.

These are my concerns:

General consensus over there is that it is not Socom, that its MAG 2. The 2 CTF game modes are ripped DIRECTLY from MAG, but Bomb Squad is cool.

They made normal hip fire (No scope) worthless as hell, so it forces you to go into OTS or L1 CallOfDuty zoom. The grenades suck, just like COD random throws without the arc. The cover system encourages camping. NO DOT ON THE CROSSHAIRS! One of best things about Socom was lining up headshots from 500 feet away W/O a scope. How many times I killed people at the stadium in Urban Wasteland from that ledge? Yeah cant do it without a scope now.

Um rank up is crap. There is way way too much clutter on the screen at all times. Maps have way too much crap around (of course for cover system). MIC SYSTEM IS TRASH. No lean. I could go on forever.

I dont mean to sound all doom and gloom because honestly its not that horrible. It is just a generic shooter with no identity. Pretty much the opposite of what made Socom so great for so long.

Zipper has shown a willingness to patch according to their fans concerns, but they knew our concerns and still decided to make S4 the way it is. There is a chance they will be able to get it up to snuff by release. I sure hope so or my PS3 is a paperweight

looking at the move bundle with this game. If the game ends up sucking (i hope its better than the hype that was COD BO) then its still a good deal after selling the game... fingers crossed.

[quote name='Pck21']Sounds like Confrontation will still get the play time then?[/QUOTE]

This would all be good, but all of the group has quit playing and when a few of us do hook up for a game or two, the game is riddled with cheaters which takes the fun out of it. When you do find a game that doesn't had a bunch of cheaters in it, everyone quits after the first game because /6 never fixed the way every 2nd game in a quick match is a night map, which wouldnt be that bad, except when /6 put in the coldfront weapons in the game they ruined the night maps by making them pitch black.

[quote name='smiggity']They made normal hip fire (No scope) worthless as hell, so it forces you to go into OTS or L1 CallOfDuty zoom. NO DOT ON THE CROSSHAIRS! One of best things about Socom was lining up headshots from 500 feet away W/O a scope. How many times I killed people at the stadium in Urban Wasteland from that ledge? Yeah cant do it without a scope now.[/QUOTE]

seriously? ive never played a socom, but hearing you can get hip fire head shots from far away is lame as fuck. that doesnt sound fun at all. a big gripe i have with shooters (kz3 for example) is people just spray and pray and out gun the people aiming down the sights for a more accurate shot.

Socom series never had a "hip fire." There was only one type of aiming, first person mode and scopes just increased the zoom of the rifle. Accuracy was dependent on rifle, fire select, and character movement.

Really hope Socom 4 pans out correctly. Socom: Confrontation took awhile for it to become enjoyable, but these new game modes just seem to be catering to respawn game modes. Seriously were is my round base games?

My S4 Beta impressions:

-Aiming/Zooming will be much better than hip-fire .. as far as people sniping and getting head shots while using hip fire, thats BS.. I have 400+ kills so far this beta and that only happened once.

-Sniping is harder, killing a moving target from far away takes some skill.

-Weapons are balanced, although at first SMGs seems to be overly powerful.. because they are great at CQB and decent at mid range.. Assault are great at mid-long range specially zoomed, but will be at a disadvantage vs SMG at close combat.

-The new game modes works on on both Classic and respawn. I dont play respawn, I stick to Classic (aka no respawn) and I really enjoy this new game modes specially Bomb Squad and Uplink.

-The game resembles Ghost Recon gunplay with Socom 3rd person view..Ghost recon is more of 3/4 OTS view.

-You will hear a lot of people saying that the cover system encourages camping, thats tactical shooter for you but don't be discouraged, this beta has only 2 maps and both maps have a lot of holes and there is noway all the holes can be covered.. camp if you want but unless you move your arse you will get grenaded/shot in the back or knifed.

-So far every game is a quickmatch, no lobby system.

Lastly, keep an open mind when you first play S4, it is not SOCOM 1,2,3 or conf..Its a whole new game with a lot of small similarities to popular franchises.

[quote name='enufs8d']considering getting midnight/day 1 because of you guys' support here. should i wait?[/QUOTE]

You know I love all you guys, but I'm sorry, when I pick up my games at midnight on April 19th Portal 2 is going straight into the PS3.

But I will be playing Socom from the second I get off work that night :cool:.

[quote name='Pck21']Sounds like Confrontation will still get the play time then?[/QUOTE]

Confrontation is full of cheaters. So we have no choice but to play S4

[quote name='enufs8d']considering getting midnight/day 1 because of you guys' support here. should i wait?[/QUOTE]

Ill probably still get it on release day.

[quote name='8bitArtist']seriously? ive never played a socom, but hearing you can get hip fire head shots from far away is lame as fuck. that doesnt sound fun at all. a big gripe i have with shooters (kz3 for example) is people just spray and pray and out gun the people aiming down the sights for a more accurate shot.[/QUOTE]

I can tell you have never played a Socom game before 8bit. That is an idiotic statement. With accurate crosshairs it is possible to kill anything you see without a scope. Socom is not a "who hits L1 first" gunfight kind of game. At least it never was until now :(

[quote name='j-cart']Socom series never had a "hip fire." There was only one type of aiming, first person mode and scopes just increased the zoom of the rifle. Accuracy was dependent on rifle, fire select, and character movement.

Really hope Socom 4 pans out correctly. Socom: Confrontation took awhile for it to become enjoyable, but these new game modes just seem to be catering to respawn game modes. Seriously were is my round base games?[/QUOTE]

Jcart knows whats up. Socom hip fire is shoulder fire since their gun is always in fire position. Honestly the cover system, game modes and Dual Primaries are the 3 worst things. Zipper looks to be realizing they fucked up classic mode big time.

[quote name='FlipSide']My S4 Beta impressions:

-Aiming/Zooming will be much better than hip-fire .. as far as people sniping and getting head shots while using hip fire, thats BS.. I have 400+ kills so far this beta and that only happened once.

Really bro? Socom is about accurate hip fire. Its been that way for 8 fucking years.

-Sniping is harder, killing a moving target from far away takes some skill.

This is a lie. There is less recoil when in scope than when in hip fire or OTS. Its a joke and needs to be fixed. No bullshit, stand at a wall and scope in and blast full auto with an AR. Then do same thing with hip fire

-The new game modes works on on both Classic and respawn. I dont play respawn, I stick to Classic (aka no respawn) and I really enjoy this new game modes specially Bomb Squad and Uplink.

The new game modes DO NOT work for classic. Except Bomb Squad. Both Uplink and Last Defense are trash in Classic

-You will hear a lot of people saying that the cover system encourages camping, thats tactical shooter for you but don't be discouraged, this beta has only 2 maps and both maps have a lot of holes and there is noway all the holes can be covered.. camp if you want but unless you move your arse you will get grenaded/shot in the back or knifed.

That is because it is absolutely unequivocally true

-So far every game is a quickmatch, no lobby system.

Lastly, keep an open mind when you first play S4, it is not SOCOM 1,2,3 or conf..Its a whole new game with a lot of small similarities to popular franchises.[/QUOTE]

Basically Zipper stripped the Identity of Socom away and created a Frankenstein of a shooter.

Is today the day the beta gets released to PS+ members? Just curious seeing how I have a lot of stuff to do tonight and I would like to download it asap to try out classic mode :D

[quote name='smiggity'] Zipper looks to be realizing they fucked up classic mode big time.[/QUOTE]

How is Zipper showing that they have made a mistake???

[quote name='smiggity']I can tell you have never played a Socom game before 8bit. That is an idiotic statement. With accurate crosshairs it is possible to kill anything you see without a scope. Socom is not a "who hits L1 first" gunfight kind of game. At least it never was until now :([/QUOTE]

if it isnt hip fire, then dont call it hip fire. but like option said, being able to snipe from "hip fire" is gay. sorry i dont eat breathe and live socom.

Your gun is always in the ready position. There is no hip fire. I think option is referring to no scoping with a sniper rifle, which is gay and is thankfully much harder in S4 than Confrontation. OTS/Scopes are for seeing a long distance, it has never affected accuracy until now. It needs to be fixed, and it likely will be before release. Going into OTS or ADS should not automatically increase weapon accuracy.

Goldbug- They are taking fan feedback into account & have already implemented small fixes (round times)

[quote name='8bitArtist']sorry i dont eat breathe and live socom.[/QUOTE]

Thats okay that you don't, however Socom players have been loyal to the franchise, so much that they know how Socom should feel. Most "Socomers" only own a PS3 for one reason only.

It is sad that Zipper and Sony aren't giving the fans what they want (based on the internet). However I have yet to play Socom 4, so my opinion hasn't been made.

OTS/Zoom should never increase aiming in a Socom game, or it will just be Uncharted MP.

What are the Socom games like? Never played any but knowing it's the U.S. navy and the bundle that they have for $150 with the move, I'm tempted to pick this up. I'm also getting tired of black ops and Homefront disappointed me.

[quote name='AJVtony831']What are the Socom games like? Never played any but knowing it's the U.S. navy and the bundle that they have for $150 with the move, I'm tempted to pick this up. I'm also getting tired of black ops and Homefront disappointed me.[/QUOTE]

Think 1.6 Counter-Strike in third person. The closet generalization I could think of.

things i like:
- music
- graphics

things i dont like:
- everything else ...but top 3 are camera angle, player movement speed, player movement control, even then this still wont be worthy of having "socom" on the box

bread's done
Back