CAGcast #113: Furiously Rubbing

[quote name='CheapyD']You're a towel.
No_Youre_a_Towel_Some_of_the_Best_of_Towelie.jpg
[/quote]
well said cheapy make a video about this crap insted of eating your kid

[quote name='Wombat']Last time I was in the Burgh I had steak with cheese, an egg and lots of Hot Sauce with an IC Light and it was 8:30 in the morning[/quote]
lol :rofl:

I have no idea how Bestbuy won a Cheapy Award. At least for me everytime I go to Best Buy they hover over you asking if you need any help or try to recommend games that they have no clue about. Now I know its their job but when you go into a different aisle and they act like your a different customer and ask the same questions that they asked in the previous aisle is really annoying. I mean when I go into a store I want to shop not have every employee in the area hover over me and ask if I need help every two minutes. If I need help I'll ask, now I digress. What were the runners up? Other than that Great Show guys

i would rather have a disc form.. usually you get more songs for your buck to the disc form..

i like DLC but i mean i'd rather not feel nickled and dimed for content.. i would rather spend 60 bucks for 50 songs rather than get charged 2 bucks a song.. (which for 50 songs would be 100 dollars rather than 60)

A game from the previous-gen that is worth checking out if you haven't played it is Super Mario Sunshine if you have a Wii or Gamecube. I just wanted to say this as part of the "old crap from our shelves" lol.

I like the flashback/random crap on my shelves idea. I owned a gamecube and didnt play that many of the top reviewed games and found my self going back and playing alot of them when the wii had little coming out for the system at the middle to end of last year. I played def jam fight for new york when it came out, and It really was alot of fun. Me and my roommate both beat the game and spent time unlocking a bunch of the modes and characters. Its based off the wrestling games from THQ with a little more options with more weapons, rage moves and interactive environments. I am going to try and pickup eternal darkness, that sounds like a fun one to play, i was really into the insanity effects of the max payne series, so I hope this game will compare. Keep up the good work guys.

PS - You should call that segment Cheap Ass Flashback. Just a thought.

[quote name='Wombat']Last time I was in the Burgh I had steak with cheese, an egg and lots of Hot Sauce with an IC Light and it was 8:30 in the morning[/quote]

Glad to see you're watching your calories with the IC Light.

Personally, my favorite Primanti's is Bacon Egg and Cheese with ketchup and hot sauce.

Now the eternal question is - who has better fries, Primanti's or The O?

My side note is why is 50cent trying to get the skull from House II? If John Ratzenberger is in it, it's game of the year.

[quote name='Blaine']Glad to see you're watching your calories with the IC Light.

Personally, my favorite Primanti's is Bacon Egg and Cheese with ketchup and hot sauce.

Now the eternal question is - who has better fries, Primanti's or The O?

My side note is why is 50cent trying to get the skull from House II? If John Ratzenberger is in it, it's game of the year.[/QUOTE]

the answer is "c", sweet potato fries at Fuel & Fuddle

Thanks Cheapy and Wombat for answering my question on CAGcast. I'll definetly put in homeless people and taxi's. I just wanted to know what makes New York well New York be it the type of people that live their, the buildings, if their is a lot of trash all the stuff that makes New York special. Thanks again.

[quote name='Wombat']the answer is "c", sweet potato fries at Fuel & Fuddle[/QUOTE]

good call.. although I have a tough time making a decision between that and Rally's fries... I loved those.. Arby's has them now..

[quote name='JMEPO']Im not seeing it on iTunes i only see up to episode 112. Weird.[/QUOTE]

It downloaded automatically for me.. Sometimes you have to find the podcast in the iTunes store and download it there.

Wonbat and Frookies, freakin awesome. Good stuff already in the opening minutes.

Good to hear you're back on Youtube, nice new vid with baby Tai by the way.

[quote name='vanilla_shakin_it']I don't think that beating up an old man would make the situation any better.[/QUOTE]

True, but it does send a message to all deadbeat Dads across the globe.

Btw, since Frank won't die let me say this: SSBB couldn't exist without the Nintendo characters, but you could make a game just as great with other characters from pop culture. For example, imagine an 80's themed Brawl game that featured a Slimer, Robocop, Marky Mcfly, Micheal Knight, Optimus Prime, etc. You do need IP, but it doesn't need to be Nintendo's IP. If you didn't have it, it would be something a lot like the original Smash Bros. which had very little fan service and would of likely became a cult hit amoung gamers.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Again with the Frank thing.

Nintendo games have never been about character development or story. Miyamoto in particular has those elements removed whenever possible. The story elements had to be snuck into Mario Galaxy by Koizumi.

What makes the characters compelling are nothing to do with the characters themselves, but with the history of the games involved, and your involvement with them.

They are a blank slate. Their struggle is YOUR struggle with the game elements, the level design, the boss and enemy design: Your experience with the game.

Link's struggle is your struggle with dungeons and figuring out bosses, like bombing a dodongo.

Samus' struggle is your struggle getting lost as hell in those caverns and finding the way forward and doing what you need to do.

Mario's struggle is your struggle with generally well designed platforming games.

The story of Nintendo characters is the story of GAMEPLAY. Being alongside them for so many years in particular, builds a bond to the character, even though the character has NO character. It can happen to a smaller extent in an individual game, because the games are what might be called EPICS.

The characters are looked kindly upon because of your memories of great games.[/quote]
:applause:

Frank did star in his own video game - Dead Rising. He even did a cameo in Lost Planet. CAGs want him in SSB, God of War and Halo. Here's to you Frank, the best video game character ever.

And Cheapy, the new redesign sounds great. I've been wanting a place to blog about video games without boring my non-gaming friends.

Cheapy, stop being a pussy. It's alright if you don't like Nintendo IPs, but don't try to guise your disliking as some grandiose theory on the gaming industry as a whole.

Your argument is particularly flawed when it comes to Super Smash Bros. The game is, as everyone has said by now, only fan service. I play Super Smash Brothers to see Snake battle Link-- nothing more. Sure, the game has to be somewhat fun to play, but that's a given for any game. In the case of Super Smash Brothers, Nintendo is selling Snake vs. Link-- they aren't heralding it as the most superior fighting game of all time.

Moving the same argument over to The Legend of Zelda-- you're right, if there was a Legend of Frank it likely wouldn't get as high of scores because everyone would call it a copy of the Legend of Zelda. So yes, you're right in that regard.

Now I agree with your argument that IP association boosts game scores, and I wouldn't have a problem with your argument if you were saying that. However, you're limiting the scope of your argument to Nintendo IPs. Again, stop being a little panzy and include every game franchise in the mix: Halo, Final Fantasy, Zelda, Mega Man, etc.

At the end of the day you make a valid point that, once again, IP association boost score. But two things:

1) Only little pansies follow game scores in deciding whether or not a game is good as they should be decided on a game by game basis, on ones own, no matter the IP.

and

2) No one really cares.

Great show, keep it up (but stop being a pussy)!

I think you guys are missing the point of the "Frank" discussion. It isn't meant to be an attack on the characters, it is meant to be an analysis of the core game beneath the license. Is the game good enough to stand on its own without the license? Is the game more fun because of the license?

Though, I do admit that trying to apply this analysis to Smash Bros is pretty silly. The whole point is that it is fanservice.

CheapyD IS a fanboy, he's a fanboy of not giving a shit about a particular system.

That son of a bitch, how dare he.

~HotShotX

[quote name='urzishra14']i would rather have a disc form.. usually you get more songs for your buck to the disc form..

i like DLC but i mean i'd rather not feel nickled and dimed for content.. i would rather spend 60 bucks for 50 songs rather than get charged 2 bucks a song.. (which for 50 songs would be 100 dollars rather than 60)[/quote]

The thing with that though is that you don't have to spend all that money at once. It's much easier to spend it over a long period of time rather than all up front. Also, instead of getting a disc filled with some songs you like, tons of songs you dislike, and others you think are O.K, with DLC you can purchase only songs you really like which is a bunch better system in my opinion.

And it's just nicer to be able to play all these songs on one game, rather than having to swap discs when I want to play a particular song.

Never understand this inability to pronounce karaoke. If you speak english, you say it the english way, if you speak japanese you say it the japanese way.

[quote name='Gentlegamer']If you're going to start making "overlooked" game recommendations, could you post each of your weekly picks in the CAGcast thread for easy reference? I love trying out new games that I had never considered.[/QUOTE]

Even better, maybe you could make it a weekly contest/poll where we could vote for the game we liked best. A little competition between Cheapy and Wombat.

[quote name='nomp']Never understand this inability to pronounce karaoke. If you speak english, you say it the english way, if you speak japanese you say it the japanese way.[/quote]So I should only say it the right way when I'm Japanese class? Just wondering what the rules are.

You say "either" and I say "either"
You say "neither" I say "neither"
"Either" "either", "neither" "neither"
Let's call the whole thing off
You say "potato," I say "patattah"
You say "tomato", I say "creole tomata"
Oh, let's call the whole thing off
Oh, if we call the whole thing off
Then we must part and oh
If we ever part, that would break my heart
So, I say "ursta" you say "oyster"
I'm not gonna stop eatin' urstas just cause you say oyster,
Oh, let's call the whole thing off
Oh, I say "pajamas", you say "pajamas"
Sugar, what's the problem?
Oh, for we know we need each other so
We'd better call the calling off off
So let's call it off, oh let's call it off
Oh, let's call it off, baby let's call it off
Sugar why don't we call it off,
I'm talking baby why call it off
Call it off!
Let's call the whole thing off

[quote name='CheapyD']So I should only say it the right way when I'm Japanese class? Just wondering what the rules are.[/QUOTE]

Whatever you want, Fanboy Frank!

I really liked the episode. I really like the idea of playing old favorites too. It kind of reminds me of something similar the player one podcast guys do with virtual console games. Obviously this is a better fit for all us shopping enthusiasts though. I've had eternal darkness on the shelf for sometime and have been wanting to play it. My suggestion for the segment is "The CAG backlog".

[quote name='dubbfoolio']My suggestion for the segment is "The CAG backlog".[/quote]

That title is reserved for every time Cheapy talks about taking a shit during the podcast.

~HotShotX

Cheapy I dont know what Battlefield beta you were playing but the Oasis map has a helicopter, a lot of tanks, jeeps and boats. The other map only has a jeep so yea you were definitley wrong about that

I definitely recommend "F-Zero GX" for the Gamecube as a last generation game worth playing. Picked it up a few days ago on the cheap and I'm pretty impressed, it plays in widescreen and 480p so the graphics look pretty good.

Great show as usual guys! That astroglide joke made me laugh out loud in my office at work. Speaking of work, here's a good analogy for the Frank discussion...

I work with production of screen printed apparel. We have a department that licenses Collegiate logos and stuff which we print on hoodies, towels, boxers and other shit. Now, plenty of people buy blank hoodies, towels, boxers, and shit but when you slap a popular Collegiate license on it you have a whole new market full of rabid fans of that license who will eat it up. So while the time-tested, simple comfort of a hoodie or pair of boxers may sell quite well on its own, adding the license opens up a massive built in market of brand loyal fans that will consume the product regardless what it is. I wonder how well some Frank Bros. tees would sell?

How about calling the new segment the CAG Throwback?
my throwback would be Tekken Tag, timeless!

Cheapy must be excited about CAG 2.0..

he basically gave the full specs of the new site, when wombat asked for a teaser.

Haha I thought of making this when I heard Cheapy say it XD Did it in about 10 minutes..

wonbotkc5.png

I thought it was funny.. I still think Wombat is great though :)

Wombat.. please quit whining about not getting free stuff. It fucking annoying, I literally turned of the 'cast when he started complaining about the Bad Company Beta and skipped ahead.

It was tolerable when you were just starting up but after a gift PS3, a shit ton of games you get at UGO, and other freebies you should be thankful by now.

by the way, no wonder people are getting fatter with suggestions that instead of exercise equipment (even if it is a lame game) people go out and buy more food. I would've suggested a good pair of running shoes.

[quote name='usickenme']Wombat.. please quit whining about not getting free stuff. It fucking annoying, I literally turned of the 'cast when he started complaining about the Bad Company Beta and skipped ahead.

It was tolerable when you were just starting up but after a gift PS3, a shit ton of games you get at UGO, and other freebies you should be thankful by now.

by the way, no wonder people are getting fatter with suggestions that instead of exercise equipment (even if it is a lame game) people go out and buy more food. I would've suggested a good pair of running shoes.[/quote]

Deep Breaths, Deep Breaths, Deeeeep Breaths. Wombat says a lot of these things in jest. Sure he's disappointed that he's not in the beta but he onlu barely mentions this. I think his comment only lasted about five or so seconds. Must have been TORTURE to wallow through that eh?

[quote name='usickenme']Wombat.. please quit whining about not getting free stuff. It fucking annoying, I literally turned of the 'cast when he started complaining about the Bad Company Beta and skipped ahead.

by the way, no wonder people are getting fatter with suggestions that instead of exercise equipment (even if it is a lame game) people go out and buy more food. I would've suggested a good pair of running shoes.[/QUOTE]

Uhm, I i wasn't complaining about not a getting a free anything, I was complaining that I didn't get in on the beta which just happens to be free. I thought I was supposed to be excited about upcoming games and wanting to play betas when I can get in them. You either completely missed the point or are just looking for reasons to complain.

[quote name='yukine']Dude, he has said many times that he would buy this stuff legally if he could. But living in Japan, that can be a tad bit difficult.

And that hamburger looks pretty good, never had one but I'm interested in trying.[/quote]
I may have missed the explanation but why can't he just order the stuff from amazon, or some other site that ships to Japan?

[quote name='Wombat']the answer is "c", sweet potato fries at Fuel & Fuddle[/quote]
omg so true.

Though I do love the capicola at Primantis :cool:

Wombat did you go to Pitt? Never realized :applause::applause::applause:

Pittsburgh born and raised and still living right hurr

bread's done
Back