CAGcast #113: Furiously Rubbing

[quote name='Wombat']Uhm, I i wasn't complaining about not a getting a free anything, I was complaining that I didn't get in on the beta which just happens to be free. I thought I was supposed to be excited about upcoming games and wanting to play betas when I can get in them. You either completely missed the point or are just looking for reasons to complain.[/QUOTE]

It really doesn't matter that much. A whine is a whine. You know, there is a difference between "Man, it would've been cool to get in that beta" and "wahhhh!, IIIIII Diiiiidddn't geeeet innnnn". I probably "missed the point" because it wasn't communicated as a point.

If it was the first time I wouldn't even bring it up. Hell, if it was the 500th time, I wouldn't bring it up. But it seems much more than that. Anywho, It is a small percentage of airtime and not that big a deal but I thought as a listener and community member I was supposed to note things that are cumulatively annoying. I generally like your additions to the show and I even popped in Eternal Darkness based on your suggestion but it sounds like you need a thicker skin.

Howdy, I've been a listener to the CAGcast for a few months now, but this is my first post on the CAG forums, so please excuse my um, noob-ness. Anyways, here's my two cents on the whole Legend of Frank debate.

I can tell you that without a doubt, I would enjoy Super Mario Brothers or The Legend of Zelda far more than I would enjoy Super Frank Siblings or The Legend of Frank. It's the IPs that make these games, but I don't view this as a bad thing. Playing a Mario or Zelda game brings me back to my childhood, and reminds me of happy times in my life.

As a kid who was always moving around (I went to 8 schools in 12 years), video games served to teach me things about life. Mario taught me how no obstical was too large if you kept at it. Donkey Kong Country taught me that you should fight against injustices made against you, and Zelda taught me that no evil can't be overcome.

So yes, playing one of Nintendo's IPs will make me enjoy a game more than the latest piece of similarly designed shovelware. And isn't the core purpose of video games to make people happy? Is there something wrong about getting more enjoyment out of a cherished IP than another similar but faceless game?

I love the Super Smash Brothers series for all the "wrong" reasons. I love it because it's an IP game. If it was full of say, retro Sega IPs, then I probably would not enjoy it as much, but I do not see a problem in this.

I say, keep making IP fan services as long as they keep making people happy. Because, at the end of the day, a game that makes me happy is all I'm searching for.

--Foxle

if you guys want to learn the pronunciation of yinz

http://www.pittsburghese.com/

Cheapy - say karaoke how ever the :fuck: you want to say it

Wombat - don't let the hate get to you.. I can't see how 5 seconds of just saying how you weren't apart of the beta would drive listeners away..

[quote name='nomp']Never understand this inability to pronounce karaoke. If you speak english, you say it the english way, if you speak japanese you say it the japanese way.[/quote]

But it's not an English word, it's a Japanese word. We say other loan words like "rendezvous" and "sushi" correctly.

How about we "rin-dez-vos" at the "suh-shiy" restaurant for lunch?

I kinda like the new segment, where you suggest older games that might not have been played by the masses yet, or missed the first time around. Plus older games are CHEAP to buy and enjoy at the lower costs. Also its always better to have someone recommend a game to you instead of taking a chance on buying some crap from the bargin bin and get burned.
I suggest a name like " Backtrack Gaming" or "Gaming Backtrack".

Just my two cents.

[quote name='DJSteel']

Wombat - don't let the hate get to you.. I can't see how 5 seconds of just saying how you weren't apart of the beta would drive listeners away..[/QUOTE]

I don't hate Wombat or the show. In fact, the only thing I "hate" about the Cagcast is how any and all criticism of the show is labeled as irrational hate (by community members- Not by the hosts)

Hi guys, love the podcast! I started listening recently and have been immediately taken in by the personality of the show (asshole-ish though it may sometimes be (usually in a good way)). I also love the attention to the CAGcast community. Community strength is awesome. Hopefully a n00b like me can become a part of that.

I just wanted to comment on the Byron report mentioned in this week's Cagcast. I agree with Wombat in that a more comprehensive gaming rating system is probably a good thing and nothing to get excited over. As videogames and videogame culture becomes more pervasive, parents who grew up on videogames will be better prepared in understanding what their kids are play. The kids themselves will probably understand what's real and what's not real in a videogame on their own and maybe even at an earlier age. Of course, there will always be that handful of people who go berserk because of circumstances and possibly a videogame, but by and large most of us understand videogames as pure entertainment. The bottom line is that overall culture is changing. The paranoia over videogames will lose steam.

Kudos again on a great cagcast. I anxiously await for next Friday's episode!

Great show. My favorite podcast hands down...keep it up! And I also like the idea for the new segment about older games but I almost died laughing when Cheapy recommended Def Jam Fight for NY!!!

Great episode. I work right by Zaiya on 41st and get lunch there all the time, so I really enjoyed the shoutout Wombat. Comon Cheapy, you know you would love to see a video game cutscene in which the employees at Zaiya armed only with onigiri, pastries, and bento boxes fend off a horde of zombies.

Heh. Zombies.

I think EB/Gamestop could turn things around on their website and get the Best Online retailer next year. They could vastly improve by simply informing you if the used game comes with a manual and/or case. Throw in a daily deal of the day or a 48 hour deal similar to gogamer.com and they would have a very good site for some deals. So, who know, maybe I will get to listen to CAG on my sirius sat radio!

[quote name='xraytd']I think EB/Gamestop could turn things around on their website and get the Best Online retailer next year. They could vastly improve by simply informing you if the used game comes with a manual and/or case.

While I don't think it would necessarily get them best online retailer, I think that it would definitely bring them out of last place if they would inform you of the manual/case.

There has been more than a few times that I've went to the website just to check the price of a used game and ended up considering just picking it up online. Unfortunately I have only decided against it because I only want to purchase a game with a case.

[quote name='XanaduTheory']Cheapy, stop being a pussy. It's alright if you don't like Nintendo IPs, but don't try to guise your disliking as some grandiose theory on the gaming industry as a whole. [/QUOTE]

Cheapy's Frank theory is to gaming what evolution is to Biology, what plate tectonics is to geology. I agree with Cheapy on his Frank theory, but frankly.....I don't think he throws the term around as freely with other big franchises as he does with some of the big Nintendo franchises. His first impressions of a Halo game don't immediately trend toward the Frank theory. I think most big franchises get the special treatment, and newer IP's have a tougher time. I still haven't heard a clear explanation of why he only uses this theory with Nintendo games. The discussion in this podcast diverged almost immediately from the Legend of Frank theory.

I'm also confused why Cheapy feels that the early adopters got "screwed out of 10 bucks" because COD4 GOTY is being released with the maps included for free. Was the game not a good enough experience to be worth the $60 price point at launch? How is releasing a new sku w/ maps included for $60 any different than a $10 price drop to the people who already bought the game. Things drop in price and/or get rereleased in new bundles later on, but the early adopter isn't getting screwed, they should know going in that you will always pay more to be the first to have something.

2380564980_c59cba7a9f.jpg

The link below explains the picture lol.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080328...FJ.v22sSCs0NUE

[quote name='CheapyD']So I should only say it the right way when I'm Japanese class? Just wondering what the rules are.[/quote]

If you speaking japanese in your japanese class, say it the japanese way. If you speaking english in your japanese class, you say it the english way. The rule is hard and fast!
The only exception: If you take flak for it, you remind people that the "oke" is itself a mispronunciation of an english word, and, goddammit, your invoking your American right and taking the word back: At that point you can use "kara-orkuh" in both languages.

[quote name='outlawmoogle']But it's not an English word, it's a Japanese word. We say other loan words like "rendezvous" and "sushi" correctly.

How about we "rin-dez-vos" at the "suh-shiy" restaurant for lunch?[/quote]

It is an English word, and "carry-oki" is how it is pronounced: That's the way it is. What about Paris? And Tokyo? There are some words which have been brought into English which have retained their original pronunciation. There are some which haven't.
How do your pronounce croissant? Or Chocolate? Words get mangled in the localization process. Selectively choosing which words to "correctly" (and see above for karaoke) is rather pretentious.

Great show, guys! You must be doing something right, because now my wife has actually started listening to the CAGcast AND CAG Foreplay. She sings along to the CAGS on News theme.

CAG 2.0 is sounding better and better. I must admit, some of the features don't do a lot for me (not sure why I would want a CAG-specific blog), but others have me VERY excited. This was the first I've heard of a CAG-based game cataloging system that would double as a trade list. This would be extremely useful to me, as I have game lists on IGN and elsewhere that don't really do the trick. Hopefully it will be very robust and include box art and stuff.

I wanted to chime in on a digression in the "Super Frank Bros." debate. You guys were talking about how Mario and Link, though unmistakable icons, are not very distinctive or nuanced characters. I would argue that this is by design. The more you work to define a character, give him or her a complex back story with unique identity traits, the harder it is for the player to put themselves in that character's shoes. Game designers walk a fine line, working to make these characters charismatic but not so distinctive that the player subconsciously says, "Oh...That's not me."

This philosophy is obvious in games like Mass Effect and Oblivion, where you're actually shaping your avatar in your own image, but the same mechanic applies to protagonists like Master Chief (even his appearance is kept deliberately vague) Samus, Gordon Freeman, (like Link, they never speak) etc. The function of these characters is to give us just enough to attach our egos to, without making us feel like we're watching someone else's story play out on the screen. That's what movies are for.

[quote name='Wombat']the answer is "c", sweet potato fries at Fuel & Fuddle[/quote]

Sweet potato fries are ALWAYS the right answer.

Cheapy, nursing pads and Rock Band sticks? that just blew my mind...

btw, i agree with Wombat. WiiFit at $90 =
zcTqHiK8c5xn373qP7Qg3gxN_400.jpg

CheapyD..... IM REALLY getting sick of you answering the same peoples questions over and over. Youve done it like 3 shows in a row now. Please give some of your other fans who have insightful questions a chance to be on the show.

I agree with wombat, "The less fleshed out a character it is the more interesting the game can be"

Deeply Developed /= Interesting

Nintendo IP's have multiple dimensions to them, from sports, rpg, action, etc.

You can still find them uninteresting, but development shouldn't imply interest.

Also if you get technical, Mario has appeared in many games with deeper plots than Mario, Mario 2, etc...

e.g, Mario RPG, the Paper Mario series, Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga.

Just had a chance to listen to the podcast. So cheapy, the reason that Karaoke Revolution American Idol Encore has so many downloadable songs, is because ALL of the songs are from the previous versions of the Karaoke Revolution games. So since I own every single version, I haven't bought a single download song yet.

Just had a chance to listen to the podcast. So cheapy, the reason that Karaoke Revolution American Idol Encore has so many downloadable songs, is because ALL of the songs are from the previous versions of the Karaoke Revolution games. So since I own every single version, I haven't bought a single download song yet.

Man I'm so bored, just need a new CAGcast fix. Maybe I'll listen to some older episodes again til the new on is out.

Man I'm so bored, just need a new CAGcast fix. Maybe I'll listen to some older episodes again til the new on is out.

Can someone please tell where the intro music for episode #113 came from? I sounds so familiar, but I just can't place it. Thanks.

bread's done
Back