CAGcast #125: Everything is Broken

I got a question. So as Ti/Ty/Tie grows older he defiantly needs to get stronger and be able to defend him self. Do you plan, as a father, to teach him how to punch or maybe push him on the ground a couple times so that he gets used to pain and eventually doesn't feel any pain.

[quote name='Wombat']I have already answered the "pile of crap" question in this thread and I said on the show that I am looking forward to the game. And why does NeoGaf need to have standards? It is up to you to stop posting there if you are unhappy with the way they conduct forums, not thier responsibitly to change. Yes it would be a lousy business practice but they have no social responisbilty to do so.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I missed that part.

But Dennis' point was the NeoGAF itself generates the standards and then ignores them for certain members. So you're right to ask "Why does NeoGAF have standards" but you're asking the wrong person. I don't get how NeoGAF is somehow free from scrutiny. Furthermore,, they are most definitely responsible for their own change. If their current practices caused enough people to leave, or encouraged crimminal behavior or resulted in an outside body looking into how it operated, sure as shit they would change. I'm with Dennis in that it is always better to police yourself rather than let someone else do it.

I'm not sure NeoGAF is as bad as he make it out to be but it could be headed that way. I also didn't buy the part about it being a Non-Profit.

I love Dyack. He entertains me. I hope his game does the same.

The reason he cares about message boards is because he seems to believe in Influence Marketing.

You can argue as to whether this is important in gaming marketing or not. Sometimes critically acclaimed games sell well, sometimes they don't.

Its clear that marketing dollar spend or name recognition is greatest influencer of sales figures.

Depends which Dennis Dyack - the id or the superego. I think the id will respond before the superego. I hear his superego is a jerk.

[quote name='Wombat']Do y'all think Dennis Dyack will accept my facebook friend request?[/quote]

FOR!

I think Cheapy and Wombat are going a little overboard in their reactions to Denis Dyack's 1Up interview. Sure, some of the things he said may be a bit out there but I still think he made some very good points about such things as the problem with previews in the industry and the slavery to metacritic scores. He also has a point with the whole neogaf story and why he did what he did. Maybe I'm just a nutjob Dyack supporter (I believed in a one console future even before I heard Denis talk about it) and so my opinion matters as much as his does but irregardless of that I still think Cheapy and Wombat took some sort of odd offense to the interview itself and the way Dyack conducts himself in general. I don't even have any intentions on playing Too Human (I got annoyed and stopped caring about the game around the time that Silicon Knights filed suit against Epic) but I can't deny Denis the solid points that he makes and, unlike most of the internet that hates him, he at least makes his arguments in an intelligent way with some sort of foundation to back them up.

I just got finished listening to the Cagcast and first off I love Wombat (No Homo). I can't believe anyone could not like him.

I really didn't need the image of Cheapy squeezing one out while playing animal crossing in my head. :)

You know.. i just joined this site.
your CAG CAST are really enjoyable to listen to on the subway.
It keeps me awake lol!
Great job!

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Great show.
I just want to correct your English terms. When you were discussing "bull balls" and such, you said it was good onomatopoeia, but it's actually alliteration. Onomatopoeia are words that mimic sounds such as "bang" and all those great 60s live action Batman TV graphics.[/quote]

I was getting ready to ask if I was the only one that noticed that.

Great show guys! A few comments...

I definitely like CAG 2.0 so far. While it keeps the look of the previous version (1.0?), it feels better-organized now. Congrats to the CAG 2.0 team!

I agree 100% with Cheapy's analysis that Dyak needs to not concern himself as much with message boards and just focus on making his games. However, that's just not his personality. The bet with NeoGAF is kind of silly, but hey, it fits his personality. And while it's a good thing to know what your hardcore audience wants (by reading message boards, for example), in the end, you're not making the game just for the hardcores. At the close of the day, I don't see Dyak changing, it's just how he is. Maybe the industry is better for it, even if it seems silly now.

On a random side-note, has anybody checked out the iPod game SONG SUMMONER: The Unsung Heroes? Just saw info on it on Kotaku, apparently it's a Square-Enix game for the iPod.

Finally, was cool to hear that I won the contest this week, though moderately weird to hear my voice on the 'cast. And I'm glad Wombat recognized who I am. :) I guess that's the last time I call from my cell phone. ;)

Looking forward to Friday's episode!
/tk

P.S. Wombat, I hope your toe's feeling better. Broken toes are always just a big pile of inconvenient. Also, I'm glad Tai's feeling better. :)

Hooray for popping my CAGcast mention cherry (though I wish it had been the time when you announced "Bizerk" as the winner of that GTA 4 custom 360)

In response to Cheapy's question about if its okay for a reviewer to pirate a game, as long as you still go out and buy a copy once it comes out; I'm somewhat split down the middle (like Wombat after a night of partying with his co-workers, Zing!)

If they're doing it for a review for the fans of their publication (site, magazine, etc), it would technically be for the greater good, but its still an illegal act in the first place. So, from a legality standpoint, I'd probably say it wasn't okay. However, if I had to make a decision based on morals, I would say go ahead as long as they planned on buying it later.

Have you guys never played Chrono Trigger? Come on guys, if you've played Earthbound, you need to play this, an essential SNES RPG, one of the very few I like Have you played Chrono Cross on ps1?

Still a good CAGcast, Cheapy nice mention of Tila Tequila. If I was that guy last season I wouldn't have dumped her, why well she's bisexual, *wink and has some nice "double dragons," or are they more like some well equipped "Commandos"

Just for you Cheapy, I decide to link one of her music videos for ya. The song is called "I love you," its pretty hot. Don't let your wife see you watching it.

WARNING NOT SAFE FOR WORK!!!!! HAS ADULT LANGUAGE but no skin that I know of, just Tila dancing around it hot outfits rapping :drool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I meant to comment after the last podcast about your question of a reviewer pirating games to obtain an early copy. Often pirated versions of games have issues that legitimate copies of the game don't have. Titan Quest is an example of a game that was allegedly frequently pirated, and gained a reputation as a technically buggy game, because the pirated copies would frequently crash. The developer claims that the game had a game check that would stop the game if it detected that it wasn't an authentic copy. This was transparent to the user, so a lot of people went on forums complaining that the game kept crashing for no reason, when it is very likely they were playing pirated copies. How would the small review site you hypothesize about, know that the version of the game they are playing is final and complete.

I think the general problem though is that gamers reward sites with page views for being first with a review. The way that the smaller site should compete is by employing reviewers that an audience can generally trust and agree with, not trying to compete with timely reviews.

I also don't completely agree with the comments on Denis Dyack. Although I don't necessarily agree with his methods, and some of his examples missed the mark,he does raise some interesting points about the message board mentality. Unfortunately his "for or against" post will be remembered more for its divisiveness than the subtle lesson he was trying to teach GAF about determining the quality of a game before playing it. He missaplied some of his readings about statistics, scientism, and the analogy of GAF to a non-profit, but I don't think he was completely off the mark in describing problems with GAF. I don't think it will be an external force that closes NeoGAF, but I think we will definitely see an implosion of sorts from a discussion that gets out of hand, and the inconsistent moderation will fuel the fire.

As much as I want to agree with Dennis Dyack, he has forgotten an early schoolyard lesson: bullies love picking on younger kids because they find a way to get their attention and then they do it over and over again just for amusement. Because of Dennis' repeated attempts to cry foul when anything bad is said about Too Human, he attracted the attention of all modern-day Internet "bullies" to continue attacking him if only because they know they'll get a reaction out of him.

Rather than let the early criticism go, he has tried at every turn to quiet down the haters and instead has caused the opposite effect. To use another similar example, Bioshock had some bad buzz early on and rather than respond Ken Levine stayed quiet and his game released to both a critical and commercial success.

Finally to our dear Wombat, can you please get off your soapbox once ina while and do some research before making your Wom-rants? In your latest Wom-rant on Rock Band 2 if you took the time you would have learned the new RB2 instruments are the same as RB1 just with a new coat of paint. I am all for taking a hard line but please make sure you know the facts before your next Wom-rant, thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sinewav']As much as I want to agree with Dennis Dyack, he has forgotten an early schoolyard lesson: bullies love picking on younger kids because they find a way to get their attention and then they do it over and over again just for amusement. Because of Dennis' repeated attempts to cry foul when anything bad is said about Too Human, he attracted the attention of all modern-day Internet "bullies" to continue attacking him if only because they know they'll get a reaction out of him.

Rather than let the early criticism go, he has tried at every turn to quiet down the haters and instead has caused the opposite effect. To use another similar example, Bioshock had some bad buzz early on and rather than respond Ken Levine stayed quiet and his game released to both a critical and commercial success.

Finally to our dear Wombat, can you please get off your soapbox once ina while and do some research before making your Wom-rants? In your latest Wom-rant on Rock Band 2 if you took the time you would have learned the new RB2 instruments are the same as RB1 just with a new coat of paint. I am all for taking a hard line but please make sure you know the facts before your next Wom-rant, thank you![/QUOTE]

I think I meant to say guitar hero, maybe, I don't know, I was still filled with red ring rage

[quote name='misterine']har har i learned wombat mooches :p[/QUOTE]

Heh, you must be new to the cagcast. He's been known to want after free stuff, but he's a likable mooch. Actually, now that I think about it, Wombat hasn't been much of a mooch since he got that gig at UGO.

when cheapy went on his gigantic "denis dyack is an insecure prima donna" rant i wasn't exactly sure what he was disagreeing with. the only part that i found a wee bit ridiculous was his insinuation that he could shut down neogaf himself. however, in my opinion that may have been more of a hypothetical suggestion than a practical idea. What exactly were the points that he was disagreeing with?

[quote name='Shawxn']when cheapy went on his gigantic "denis dyack is an insecure prima donna" rant i wasn't exactly sure what he was disagreeing with. the only part that i found a wee bit ridiculous was his insinuation that he could shut down neogaf himself. however, in my opinion that may have been more of a hypothetical suggestion than a practical idea. What exactly were the points that he was disagreeing with?[/QUOTE]

It sounded like Cheapy disagreed with Dyack's methods more than the actual content.

It sounded less like there wasn't much Nintendo news to discuss this week and more like Cheapy just didn't look for any Nintendo news to discuss.

Wombat sounded like a little kid heartbroken when Cheapy said he wouldn't be able to record the E3 shows.

[quote name='E*Master']You're right. But you see many people forget what kind of marriage this game is between the creater of final fantasy, the composer of Final Fantasy and the artists/creater of Dragonball Z.

I am also upset with all the people who say "duuuh who wants to play a remake duuuuuuuh". Very simple. Unless you want to play the PSX version that has extremely looooong load times or can find an original SNES copy of the game for less than 60 bucks WITHOUT the box an manual (The complete set can go anywhere from 90-150 bucks) from ebay or anywhere else I suggest you shut the fuck up (aimed at the whiners). Chrono Trigger is one of the best if not THE best RPG ever made. I have played this game as a ROM 10 years ago and never finished it. Then bought the PSX version of this game 5 years ago and still haven't finished it because it si such a long game. The game is made of pure quality unlike a lot of RPGs lately I have seen. On top of that this is a remake for a Moble console that I am sure everyone has. So how can you go wrong? I may be a fanboy of this game but I alway see the other side of the story to which I simply say, if you don't like/want a remake of this game then please get back in line and wait for something better to come out.

A few years ago a dude tried to make his own homebrew remake of this game in 3D graphics. The attempt was wonderful until Square Enix shut it down. This however sparked a large interest in a remake and I am guessing this has been in development since.

Since this game is a handheld port I can't wait to get my hands on it and maybe end my 10 year quest to finally finish this game given that I will be able to take it everywhere.[/quote]

Right on man. If anything, the remake is to test the level of interest in the franchise and a great showing will bring forth a new Chrono game. Hell, we might even get a 16-bit remake as a downloadable game!

....yeah I know, that's not happening.

[quote name='TheEyecon']I clapped for John, does that makes me a nerd?[/quote]
No, that makes you awesome.

Im pretty sure that wombat said that Bioshock was a new IP yet it is based off of system shock. Probably just a messup or something. Great show guys keep them coming.

Wow, Wombat - not due till the 20th but at 0 station - and this was last week? That means any time now, man... With our last child, who was enormous like the one before (10 1/2 lbs) he wasn't at 0 until well after we induced labor 2 weeks after his due date. He basically didn't come down until my wife was dilated beyond 5cm (due to the pitocin to induce contractions) and they artificially broke her water. I'm guessing that this will mean you will have a very easy delivery - it seems those fast progressing/water breaking in advance labors are the ones that go zippety-quick. My wife was induced each time (all 4) and each time she was barely making any progress when we started even though the last 2 were 2 weeks over! And then each labor took 18-24 hours... I never had one of those last minute rush to the hospital movie cliche type deliveries - they've all been scheduled in advance ;).

Edit - Correction... Just talked to my wife (of course she remembers these things a bit better than me). Our last one wasn't at 0 station until after she started pushing. He wasn't at any station during the entire labor (until the very end) - even hours after they broke her water (which usually makes them fall into 0 station). So, point is, your wife ought to have an easy time of it. It means your baby does not have a giant head like mine did ;).

[quote name='halo2attack']Im pretty sure that wombat said that Bioshock was a new IP yet it is based off of system shock. Probably just a messup or something. Great show guys keep them coming.[/QUOTE]

Would you call Halo a sequel to Marathon?

[quote name='Wombat']Would you call Halo a sequel to Marathon?[/QUOTE]

I'd put them both under the term pseudo-sequels since they're not directly connected but contain gameplay or story elements which connect. So techincally you're both right.

Wombat, it pays to listen to the competition. There is another Blizzard game that hasn't been announced. They've mentioned it a few times on the 1up yours (the Dennis Dyack one if I'm correct) Cheapy ignored. It was also mentioned on 1up FM.

[quote name='sinewav']As much as I want to agree with Dennis Dyack, he has forgotten an early schoolyard lesson: bullies love picking on younger kids because they find a way to get their attention and then they do it over and over again just for amusement. Because of Dennis' repeated attempts to cry foul when anything bad is said about Too Human, he attracted the attention of all modern-day Internet "bullies" to continue attacking him if only because they know they'll get a reaction out of him.

Finally to our dear Wombat, can you please get off your soapbox once ina while and do some research before making your Wom-rants? In your latest Wom-rant on Rock Band 2 if you took the time you would have learned the new RB2 instruments are the same as RB1 just with a new coat of paint. I am all for taking a hard line but please make sure you know the facts before your next Wom-rant, thank you![/quote]

I found much of Dyack's comments valid and observations true, but in forums like neo-gaff, everyone's an expert and has an opinion. In that arena of thought, no sense of precidence or heirarchy - the most obnoxious and short comments will get read (or those with the biggest gif images - jeeze, thorbon). His point was correct - but the audience is wrong.

...and if rockband2 is a "repaint", why bother? The new instruments are are all improved and will hopefully last longer than the first version.

I'll give Cheapy a pass here for being isolated in the non-English realm of Tokyo for so long but COME ON! Bull Balls and Scrotum Stew are clearly examples of alliteration, not onomatopoeia.

And I also dropped what I was doing (at work) and gave John a hand. Sadly no one was around to join me.

I'd like there to be more movie recommendations. I hadn't seen Gone Baby Gone before CheapyD recommended it, and it turned out I really liked it. The capper was Cheapy mentioning that he liked Eastern Promises, which is one of my favorites of the past few years.

bread's done
Back