CAGcast #129: A Bad Streak of Luck

I think other thing people are missing here, If we having a general conversation then your right I wouldn't care at all. But when someone is making an announcement to the show listners, such as Cheapy was, then you should get the name right. If you went to your childs school play and his or her name was spelled wrong in the program you would be upset, if they were on tv and thier name was said wrong you'd be upset. When you child is being introduced by your co-host on your show, the name should be said correctly. We are not discussing general conversation so it is a faulty comparison.

hey Wombat, don't be too upset by Cheapy's mistake. Cheapy is pretty absent-minded sometimes, right? ;) Although the thought of an angry Wombat is kinda scary to me.

btw, I think Wombat contributed quite a bit to the show last week. He had a great story about his baby's arrival and he made a lot of funny comments during Cheapy and Shippy's E3 stories. Even though Wombat didn't say as much as the regular shows, every little comment he made was pretty funny to me. If you don't believe me, just listen to the E3 wrap-up show with Cheapy and Shippy (sans Wombat) and it feels different.

Oh yea Cheapy, good to know that that MTV dude ain't a dick. Another misunderstanding all cleared up. :) And that naked pizza dude story was epic...

Wombat, noone to play SCIV with???? I'll play with you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I question why it's worthwhile to discuss some "analyst" talking about a new Nintendo DS. Sure, it's been making the gaming news rounds, but what's the point? Cheapy already said it best, the guy doesn't know crap and is merely trying to get press for his company. And he also knows that he doesn't know crap. DS sales show no signs of slowdown, so there won't be a new DS this year.

BRB, updating my Mac/Nintendo rumors blog...

Thanks for another great CAGcast.

My feedback...

XBLA community games, as little as $2.50: "fits right in with cheap ass gamer...that's our sweet spot on cheap ass gamer"

I don't agree with this idea, that this is the sweet spot for CAG.

Cheap games are cheap for a lot of reasons, including:
1. they are cheap because they started out cheap and will always be cheap
2. they are cheap because they are normally expensive, but they are on sale or on clearance

Personally, I don't come to CAG to learn more about cheap games that are cheap. I want to know where I can find the expensive games for cheap.

$5 DL games are $5 for a reason. Maybe a $5 game for $1 would be interesting. But I don't really think that's the sweet spot for CAG. The sweet spot is being able to find a game that normally costs a lot, but for cheap.

[quote name='Wombat']I think other thing people are missing here, If we having a general conversation then your right I wouldn't care at all. But when someone is making an announcement to the show listners, such as Cheapy was, then you should get the name right. If you went to your childs school play and his or her name was spelled wrong in the program you would be upset, if they were on tv and thier name was said wrong you'd be upset. When you child is being introduced by your co-host on your show, the name should be said correctly. We are not discussing general conversation so it is a faulty comparison.[/quote]
I believe it was corrected within 10 seconds of the slip up (still talking about a MIDDLE name here). It should have been dropped after that instead of throwing a "Pitty Party". When you really put this into perspective, right now, 5 years, 10 years, 20 years down the road she sure wont give a crap. I'll bet money she doesn't give a crap right now and will never give a crap over this "incident".

My last name gets wrecked by almost everyone who says it. If I got mad every time I would probably need a therapist. You were also giving him so much grief because you thought your wife's ethnic background was mentioned on the Podcast before. I know I have never heard that she was columbian before and I'm one of the losers that listens to the podcasts multiple times. It's just not healthy to get angry over these things, but to each their own.

The 4 week joke was pretty funny but Cheapy, how in the world did you think it was about when Sir Wombat (yes it's Sir Wombat from now on :p) was gettting his 360 back! LOL! That's what makes this show great, there's flash in the pan of brilliance backed up with WTF moments like that. Oh and I liked the 3some last week with Shipwreck. He knows his details which you guys are too busy to learn.

[quote name='Will D Thrill']I believe it was corrected within 10 seconds of the slip up (still talking about a MIDDLE name here). It should have been dropped after that instead of throwing a "Pitty Party". When you really put this into perspective, right now, 5 years, 10 years, 20 years down the road she sure wont give a crap. I'll bet money she doesn't give a crap right now and will never give a crap over this "incident".

My last name gets wrecked by almost everyone who says it. If I got mad every time I would probably need a therapist. You were also giving him so much grief because you thought your wife's ethnic background was mentioned on the Podcast before. I know I have never heard that she was columbian before and I'm one of the losers that listens to the podcasts multiple times. It's just not healthy to get angry over these things, but to each their own.

The 4 week joke was pretty funny but Cheapy, how in the world did you think it was about when Sir Wombat (yes it's Sir Wombat from now on :p) was gettting his 360 back! LOL! That's what makes this show great, there's flash in the pan of brilliance backed up with WTF moments like that. Oh and I liked the 3some last week with Shipwreck. He knows his details which you guys are too busy to learn.[/QUOTE]

I corrected him, and I was over it, he just brought it up again

Just finished listening to the show. I usually listen to every cagcast on Monday, since it gives me a good start to the week.

I liked Cheapy's story about drunk Pizza Guy, probably because I can relate to it. I had a roommate in college who got really drunk one night and we were trying to calm him down because he was worried about what this other guy (who is straight-edge) would think of him if he saw him drunk. So I took him into his room and tried getting him to sleep, but he refused unless his actual roommate (not me) was here as well. So the drunk guy was on the bottom bunk, and I climbed to the top bunk and pretended to be his roommate. Knowing that he was pretty drunk, I thought he'd fall for it, but he knew right away who it was.

Good show as always, nothing negative to come from my way. I also enjoyed the bonus snapshots that Cheapy posted from his flickr page.

[quote name='Wombat']I think other thing people are missing here, If we having a general conversation then your right I wouldn't care at all. But when someone is making an announcement to the show listners, such as Cheapy was, then you should get the name right. If you went to your childs school play and his or her name was spelled wrong in the program you would be upset, if they were on tv and thier name was said wrong you'd be upset. When you child is being introduced by your co-host on your show, the name should be said correctly. We are not discussing general conversation so it is a faulty comparison.[/quote]

No, you would be upset about that. Most other people wouldn't care. It's just a name. And we're not arguing the fact that it was brought up on the CAGCast, but the fact that you were upset about it. So the fact that Cheapy brought it up doesn't mean much.

He brought it up because it was detrimental to the last show, and he was giving an explanation as to why you threw a hissy fit.

Why is everyone being such an ass to Wombat. I'm fairly sure he was just joking about getting angry. I went back and listened to the Three-way podcast and I couldn't tell he was angry at all. Either way, why is it anyone's business but Cheapy's and Wombats?

[quote name='zewone']He brought it up because it was detrimental to the last show, and he was giving an explanation as to why you threw a hissy fit.[/QUOTE]

less hissy , more tizzy

See Wombat, that is where you went wrong. Having somebody who admitadley states that his english is getting worse and stumbles and mumbles over other things all the time, may not be your number one choice to make a big announcement. That's just like me hiring Jenna Jameson ten years from now to teach my daughter about abstenance, that would make such swell sense.

As long as your not an asshole parent who misspelled there childs name, than your kids name should be spelt right in a school's program. Moving from Phoenix, there's assholes up here that names there kids Jeff, only spelled G-E-O-F, instead of the common spelling J-E-F-F. So when I prepare the programs at my local school, I make sure parents like that suffer. You know how to spell Wombat, so you should have no worries!!

[quote name='Temporaryscars']I dunno, maybe it's just because people screw my name up on a daily basis. I've gotten to the point where I just don't care anymore.[/quote]

people mess up my name all the time as well. although Wombat, Cheapy, Shippy and mrs. shipwreck all pronounce it correctly which is a relief. ;)

I love listening to you guys on the podcast. A close second is the way everyone on this thread talks to each other... like old married couples I tell ya! Oh well, off to play Pixeljunk Eden. Must get more PS3 trophies!!!

Columbian isn't a race or ethnicity...it's a nationality, but then Wombat pointed out the Latino part, and everyone was happy. I'm surprised at the general confusion that comment caused.

Activision probably just made a decision to go with brands they knew have sold well (Spyro + Crash). Their picking up of Prototype is interesting, but I guess they liked the sales of the Hulk games they did and are counting on that. The other games are relatively unproven IP (Ghostbusters and Brutal Legend). As much as I love Tim Shafer and Double Fine, their games haven't sold as well as they really deserved to.

EA Chicago, who made Def Jam Icon, got canned. Cheapy. ;(

ShinAkumA21's joke offended me, not because it is offensive. It offended me because it's a crappy joke. Does anyone even find that mildly entertaining past like...11? Really? That's the best race/ethnicity/whatev joke you had? You really lol'd at that joke? Really?

Since I'm too lazy to edit my previous post, I wanted to talk a little about how great the new Geometry Wars is. I don't know if anyone else likes this feature, but I love the little mini-leaderboard that is displayed in the game mode selection screen. When I was playing, it made me play just a little longer, purely so I could leapfrog my friends' scores.

And I also really like that I don't lose my multiplier anymore just from dying. I hated that shit in the last one.

[quote name='ShinAkumA21']*"Joke" omitted*[/quote]

Sorry man, but no matter how you feel about Cheapy's behavior in this show or the past, this was way out of line. Cheapy gets roundly criticized by more than a few of us when he crosses that line. This is not the way to handle it. Shame on you.

Regarding our friend, the Pizza Guy: I think you handled it well. First priority is to make sure someone in that state does not get tangled up with your family. That said, my wife suggested one course of action might have been to say to him, "Hey, you know, I think I WILL go to Shibuya with you after all" or something along those lines, with the condition, "Just give me a sec to get showered/change Tai/etc." Then just stall for time. It's quite likely that within a few minutes he might have passed out, forgotten about leaving, realized he was naked, or that the crisis might have otherwise been defused. Just a thought. Oh, and if he DID pass out in your place, you'd probably want to strap a couple of Tai's diapers on him to prevent a Trainspotting situation...

Regarding the Sabrina Eden debacle: I didn't even get that Wombat was that upset until Cheapy said he felt Wombat was extra quiet last episode. I just figured it was because Ship was on, and I think a lot of it was. Nevertheless, I think he has a right to be a little miffed. Yes, Cheapy regularly mangles game names, and no, it's not a big deal at all if people forget your kid's middle (or even first) name months or years after their birth. But this was the ANNOUNCEMENT of her birth. He didn't have to get much right except the gender and the name, and he was 1 for 2. That's just kinda sad. How would you feel if you walked up to someone at the reception after your wedding and they got your new wife's name wrong? You'd be pissed, I'd wager.

But it's over now and amends have been made. They've moved on, so we should too.

After reading all of the comments, I was really worried that this would be a horrible episode, but it's amazing how many of these comments relate to what amounted to 1-2 sentences by Cheapy, less than 2 minutes total airtime.

Anyway, happy 3rd anniversary to the CAGCast. It has come a long way, and certainly the episodes have gotten significantly longer. 3 years of episodes, and Cheapy still cuts Wombat off. Some things never change, I guess. ;) Nice to see the normal chemistry back this week, though, Wombat sounds slightly more rested.

I found it interesting that MS stopped shipping coffins. I wonder when they stopped shipping the coffins. My friend's 360 RROD'd about 2 months ago and they shipped him a coffin. Maybe it was closer to 3 months ago. Either way, glad Wombat's got his 360 back. Er, somebody else's 360 back. ;)

Great show, as usual. :)
/tk

Hey Cheapy and Wombat, I've just found a website called www.playfire.com You can get a PS3 gamer card like in my signature (much like XBL). Anyway great show this week guys :)

P.S I'm not here to advertise, just thought it might be something you might like to try out.

bread's done
Back