CAGcast #129: A Bad Streak of Luck

I'm a new listener to this podcast also living in Japan. I enjoy this podcast... but I was not at all happy with Wombat's comments about the new Batman movie. The movie doesn't come out here until next week, as Cheapy, said and I've avoided all information about the movie so far. I thought a GAMING podcast would be safe. end rant.

I wasn't mad because he got my child's name wrong. I was mad because he made little effort to bother to learn it, even though it was posted on the website he owns.

To answer Thorbahn, I agree if he wasn't sure of the middle name then shouldn't have tried to say it.

It is just common courtesty to learn the name of your co-host's child.

Ok now you must pm me the name of the video game industry person whom Chris Grant believes is a dick.

I won't tell, I promise. :)

[quote name='gunm']Ok now you must pm me the name of the video game industry person whom Chris Grant believes is a dick.[/QUOTE]

Money says BC.

hart2.gif

No, not this one.

[quote name='Wombat']I wasn't mad because he got my child's name wrong. I was mad because he made little effort to bother to learn it, even though it was posted on the website he owns.

To answer Thorbahn, I agree if he wasn't sure of the middle name then shouldn't have tried to say it.

It is just common courtesty to learn the name of your co-host's child.[/quote]

I could definately sense some anger in show #128, with the way you were talking and such.

Do you usually refer to her as Sabrina Eden at home when talking about her, kind of like Eden is her part of her first name too or just refer to her as Sabrina?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice show guys. I do have one comment/question.

Is the PSN game-sharing ability the equivalent of buying a PC game and letting your friends install it on their PCs or buying a CD and burning copies for everyone (buy 1 legit copy, share with others)?

If so, I'm surprised that Sony executives would encourage this behavior, or that this functionality even exists. It's like built-in piracy for up to 5 people. How could this NOT piss off developers? They've getting screwed out of potential sales.

Wow...there are some serious thin-skinned pussies in this thread. :p

Why can't we talk about race and ethnicity at this point without automatically calling up the ambulance-chasers or pointing the bigot finger.

The hyper-sensitivity Victim mentality that goes as the norm these days is just astounding. In another 20 years you'll just get home every night and over your cyber-web connection a list of your daily infractions and lawsuits will be beamed to your Walkman (yes, Walkmans make a comeback in 2035).
Looking at a woman for more than 1/5th of a second = Sexual Harassment lawsuit, Asking for red sauce at the Italian restaurant at lunch offended the local Communist party AND native americans, two more lawsuits. Ordering a black coffee at Starbucks, automatic deduction of 1.00 from your bank account to the Afro-Restitution League for use of the word "black"....

You guys should consider going to europe....the tolerance for off-color remarks and humor would blow you frickin minds.

With regards to a new DS. People dont want to buy hardware. People want to buy software. As long as the software is selling strong, there shouldnt be a problem.

Secondly, the DS isnt exactly a slouch in Japan. Isnt it the case that the DS hasnt had a price drop in Japan, ever? Even the opposite, that the price went UP with the Lite?

Market saturation is always relative to price points.

[quote name='HeadRusch']Wow...there are some serious thin-skinned pussies in this thread. :p

Why can't we talk about race and ethnicity at this point without automatically calling up the ambulance-chasers or pointing the bigot finger.

The hyper-sensitivity Victim mentality that goes as the norm these days is just astounding. In another 20 years you'll just get home every night and over your cyber-web connection a list of your daily infractions and lawsuits will be beamed to your Walkman (yes, Walkmans make a comeback in 2035).
Looking at a woman for more than 1/5th of a second = Sexual Harassment lawsuit, Asking for red sauce at the Italian restaurant at lunch offended the local Communist party AND native americans, two more lawsuits. Ordering a black coffee at Starbucks, automatic deduction of 1.00 from your bank account to the Afro-Restitution League for use of the word "black"....

You guys should consider going to europe....the tolerance for off-color remarks and humor would blow you frickin minds.[/quote]

True, there are those who over-analyze things. But then, so are you on your over-exaggerated scenarios -- you're not gonna get sued unless you're causing public discomfort. We're not censoring the guy, nor is he close to conducting some sort of hate speech on here, we're just stating that there are those of us that don't appreciate stupid jokes like that in here (on one of the greater crimes against humanity in the last century), especially when the guy just completely made up what Cheapy stated. :roll:

Are you saying that people in Europe are more lenient for off-color remarks and humor? (your statement can go both ways -- I'm still not sure if you mean its stricter) If you do mean they're more lenient ...are you kidding me? Do you remember the Dutch cartoonest who drew Muhammad? Are you also making the case that Eastern Europe is not part of Europe? I really don't understand how people can look up to Europe like its a freaking utopia.

Wombat I am really shit scared of spiders, glad I'm not in your house at the moment. We've had a lot of moths recently though. Probably a summer thing.

[quote name='mxysterygamer']I'm a new listener to this podcast also living in Japan. I enjoy this podcast... but I was not at all happy with Wombat's comments about the new Batman movie. The movie doesn't come out here until next week, as Cheapy, said and I've avoided all information about the movie so far. I thought a GAMING podcast would be safe. end rant.[/quote]

I'm not sure what comments you're talking about exactly, but there were no spoilers in Wombat's comments about the Dark Knight. Come on, do you honestly believe Batman dies? It was a joke.

How many times are you guys going to try to change the day of the week that you release show before you give up? What happened to Tuesday shows and Thursday live shows? ;)

The story of the shitfaced guy was crazy indeed and I anticipate the follow-up with details on how long the guy was in jail.

The thing about PixelJunk Monsters' sale happened seven months after it came out, so unless you're just so paranoid about sales happening at any point after its release to not find any game worth it at full price, I don't see why you'd wait if you really enjoyed the demo. And since this game probably sells very well for Sony, I don't see a sale happening for a while.

Have you noticed that MS removed the actual Duffy performance from the video of the Lips announcement from their E3 Press Conference, Cheapy?

Have you ever thought about recording these co-op play sessions with your wives as extra content for the show? It sounds like it could be a funny enough segment from your descriptions of how those sessions go.

I'm surprised in picking the Wipeout HD epilepsy news that you didn't get the news about all the new stuff they're adding before it's released.

Which version of Burnout Paradise did you get, Wombat? I didn't recall hearing a specific platform and the mention of the Cagney update makes me think it was the PS3 version since it's not out for the 360 version yet.

Mrs. Wombat being adopted also came from the Mrs. Wombat thread that you couldn't bother to read, as well, Cheapy.

Good show.

Great show as always guys. Hilarious story involving Alex the Pizza Guy. What got me though was the fact that his wife is just letting him sit in jail for up to a month. Do you think there is trouble in paradise between Alex and his wife (seeing as how she wasn't his babysitter at the party this year...) or is that "just the way it is" in Japan?

Also if you guys were in Alex's position, do you think Mrs. Cheapy or Mrs. Womat would let you sit in the jail for a month ?

What we learned from this Cagcast:
Never invite a white pizza guy in a foreign country to your party.
Anyways, great show as always guys, keep up the good work.

o god. it would have been funnier to have seen him naked running through the streets of japan with him wearing his jesus sandals and shouting. "I'MA JESUS. YEE HAA"

I can see where Wombat would get annoyed about the baby name, but I don't think it was worth getting mad over. That said, I think Cheapy should have been mad at Wombat for not remembering the third anniversary of the show.

As far as Pizza Guy goes, Cheapy has nothing to be ashamed of. He pretty much did everything but tackle the guy, and I don't blame him for not doing that.

As long as Cheapy made sure the guy wasn't driving drunk, it's not his responsibility to take care of a guy who obviously has a problem - especially if the guy's own wife won't even bail him out of jail.

Great show as always, always makes fridays at work a bit better.

But about my cagbag question, sharing psn games really isn't as much of a hassle as you guys made it out to be. There's a great thread here on cag. You dont need to use "your" psn account or anything, its a separately made psn account different from yours.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174965

It's especially easy if your not the person buying the game originally. When I get a group tog'ther I usually buy the game originally (done it maybe 5 times now)

1. We get 5 people together to buy 1 or more psn games/dlc in the cag thread

2. I create a fake email address (like [email protected]) and then make a new PSN account (like CAGGS12345) and buy the game (lets say Pixeljunk Eden), I then delete my credit card info and any other personal info in my account management.

3. Once one of the group members sends me their share of the cost (via paypal) I give them the PSN email and Password and they download the game(s) I bought.

4. thats it, 5 people effectively got a $10 psn game for $2 + maybe 40 cents to cover paypal fees.

I think this should be the way every CAG buys from PSN since like you said Cheapy, its perfectly fine to do so. And recently some games were $5 so thats $1 per person, I got pain for that much as I indicated in my question.

If tis a trust thing, why not make a group with You, Wombat, and the Shipwrecks, plus 2 others. You guys could have one separate account where you all add funds too, and then delete your CC info after putting the funds on the seperate psn account. All you need is the game downloaded, it plays fine when signed in as your personal psn account. Sorry if this was a long explanation, but I really like how CAGs can do this fairly easily.

Some follow up nerd knowledge. The Ghostbusters movie was put out by Columbia Pictures which is owned by Sony. But at the time of Ghostbusters' release, the studio was owned by Coca-Cola.

Sony movie adaptations are rarely PlayStation exclusive. The studios are seperate business units and make more money licensing the rights to the highest bidder instead of keeping it in house.

Great show as always and Shipwreck was a great addition to last weeks podcast. Also someone needs to hold Wombat. Come on, a middle name? Now if it was her first name that I could understand.

I honestly don't get what Wombat was so upset about. CheapyD, God bless him, forgets all manner of shit on a regular basis (game names, publisher names, to shower regularly), and he just got the name wrong. Big deal! I have a baby daughter named Ella, and certain members of my own family frequently call her Emma or Ellen, and it doesn't bother me. I have heard, however, of the male sharing the female sensitivity during and after pregnancy, so maybe that explains it.

Another weird thing to me about this is that Cheapy is often far more rude and inconsiderate to Wombat than this occasion. Even when Cheapy apologized on this week's CAGcast, he threw in a sideways jab. After all that, this is what made Wombat "seeth with anger"? I'm usually shocked that Wombat doesn't get any angrier than he does with Cheapy; let's just say he's heard worse.

CAGcast rules all.

Oh man another one ..

"Do you have your own tongue guard"

That was bad though cause I was taking a sip of coffee when I heard it and I almost spit it out. :lol:

Long time listener, first time poster, and I must say it was another solid show. I think Cheapy's course of action was just fine. Hell, if that were me, I'd also be grateful that he:

A) didn't urinate/defecate/vomit anywhere in the place
B) didn't destroy a whole bunch of stuff
C) disturbed any of my family

Of course, we'll be waiting for a status update on this saga next show.

My first listen to the CAGCast in a while. My first impression is: why are you doing a gaming podcast if you haven't *played* most of the games you're talking about? I've got an 18 month-old son, so I know how hard it is to find time to play games but it's not my job, either. Bygones....

A couple observations: The feedback stating that it's "at least 4 weeks before Wombat can get access", I believe was referring to when he can have sex with his wife again. The feedback was crude, but that's what I believe whoever posted it was referring to, not when Wombat's 360 would be back.

Wombat had every reason to be upset at Cheapy for not getting his daughter's name right. If one of my buddies got my son's name wrong, I'd be upset too. You guys who are calling Wombat a wuss for getting upset don't have kids.

PSN gamesharing - we've got a long thread over in the PS3 forum. You form a group, one person buys the game, gives the username/password out to the other group members and they download it. Once downloaded, you can change the password to something else to "lock up" access to the account and they can play the game using any account on their PS3. They don't have to be logged in as that particular user to play.

Each *account* has 5 shares, so once you open up the account to 4 other people, that's all for that particular account any any games purchased using that account until one or more of the PS3s are deactivated for that account. It sounds much more complicated than it actually is.

[quote name='torifile']
A couple observations: The feedback stating that it's "at least 4 weeks before Wombat can get access", I believe was referring to when he can have sex with his wife again. The feedback was crude, but that's what I believe whoever posted it was referring to, not when Wombat's 360 would be back.

Wombat had every reason to be upset at Cheapy for not getting his daughter's name right. If one of my buddies got my son's name wrong, I'd be upset too. You guys who are calling Wombat a wuss for getting upset don't have kids.
[/quote]

Yes, that is exactly what I meant with my comment. At least someone got it!! My wife laughed her ass off when Cheapy said he thought it was for the 360. Also, I understand Wombat being upset; however, Sabrina is still a new addition to the Wombat family. Some of my friends who live in Phoenix, I forget there kids name after they tell me. It's not like Cheapy is around to see her everyday. Cheapy had allot on his mind, and I think all CAGcast listners now know that Wombat's child's name is Sabrina Eden. I believe that Wombat may be over sensitive, and if Cheapy was aware of Wombats condition (of being very sensitive), he should have than know the name. I even have trouble remembering my daughters birthday at times, I have to sit back and think of it. It's not that I do not care, its that there are other things going on and it takes me a bit. I have also always forgoten my wedding anniversary as well. I just forget things, and if there is other stuff going on it is only logical that Cheapy may forget. He did get the first name right, and was close with the middle name.
The show was good, and am just happy that it was complete with CAG's on News, and the CAGbag. That story about Alex was funny as well, nice editing on that Cheapy!!

Wombat, did you keep Battlefield: Bad Company? If not what did you swap it for? And how's your toe

I have two daughters and I'm positive not one of my friends could tell you their middle names. Come to think of it.. I don't know the middle name of one of my nieces. To some people, like myself and apparently Cheapy, the middle name isn't important.

At the same time, I can remember being a new parent suffering from sleep deprivation and frail nerves. I'm sure I got upset about things that I would just laugh off now.

I got the "four weeks" comment right away, hilarious. Not nearly as funny as the pizza guy story though. Cheapy handled it perfectly, trying to physically restrain him would have turned out badly (Cheapy might also disappear for 30 days). I know it sounds cold but you just have to write-off guys like that, you don't need his drunken [rear-end] around your family and it's not your responsibility to help him. Judging by his wife's reaction, she's seen more than a few incidents like this.

Listening as I type. For the new design Wombat was talking about (having just a screen for the top screen), I think something along the line of a Sidekick would be used. It would be pretty cool to flip up your top screen and start gaming.

Cheapy, the iPhone's headphones have a mic built in that hangs near your mouth. You look like a dork if you're still holding the phone up to your mouth.

Woa, Cheapy, wombat's comment did hurt a lot!!! Of course, you're his friend and he will let it pass on, but please take care of him.

ALso, what's the status on your pizza friend. Is he still behind bars?

Take care.-

Am I the only one that was bored to death during the Pizza Guy story? I guess so.

Also, Cheapy was a total dick, not remembering Wombat's daughter's name. Definitely on Wombat's side on this one. "Columbian" would be both a race, and an ethnicity, if you consider it "Latina," rather than white. I think that Cheapy was lumping them in with white people, which is odd. I can't imagine the amount of weed that he smoked during college.

I need an update on "pizza guy!" Can't wait for next week's episode.

I can barely remember my wife's middle name after being with her for nearly ten years. (But I am an inconsiderate asshole.)

wow once again wombat forces the show to come to a screeching halt thank you cheapyD for continuing the show an extra 20 mins.

I side with Wombat on the whole name issue. You really should get someone's first born child name right. I too would be angry if you got my kid's name wrong. I wonder who is running Pizza Guy's restaurants while he is in the slammer?

I love Wombat. I really do. But he needs to get a grip! So what if Cheapy got her middle name wrong. It was a simple mistake, nothing more. I know she's your daughter and all, but you really have to learn to let that kind of shit slide.

[quote name='Wombat']I wasn't mad because he got my child's name wrong. I was mad because he made little effort to bother to learn it, even though it was posted on the website he owns.

It is just common courtesty to learn the name of your co-host's child.[/quote]Wombat, you may need to ask your doctor for some happy pills to stable you out. Cheapy murders video game titles in EVERY CagCast. I can think of five off the top of my head last week, including his baby "Lost Planet" I mean Little Big Planet. He had good intentions and I can't believe you cried over a middle frickin' name. The guy couldn't even remember the difference between Super Mario 2 & Super Mario 3.

Anyways.....don't be so Emo. I'm missing the Pizza story typing this so now I have to rewind. THANKS WOMBAT! :madsarcasm:

I'm sure my best friend won't know my son's middle name if I were to ask him. But then, that's pretty typical. I don't even get asked for updates on his growth, health or mobility status. Yeah, it hurts, but I don't hold it against him.

How many restaurants does Pizza Guy own? That's a good question about who is running his shit while he's in the slammer.

bread's done
Back