CAGcast #149: Sucker Punched!

Hey Cheapy, Bioware is located in Edmonton. No BC bud for you pal. Next time I light some up I'll hit it extra hard in your honor.

Also thought I would recommend a movie to you on Netflix watch it now called Super High Me. I think you might like it.

I haven't listened to this one yet but Cheapy used to burp ALL THE TIME in the earlier podcasts. I remember that I almost unsubscribed from the whole thing just because of that... it was annoying enough when my old roommates would express their bodily functions loudly from across the room. Having it in my ear when I'm working makes me almost able to smell the thing.

I just wanted to say I agree with Wombat's decision to forgo the $1 Blu-ray fee for Netflix. I made sure to add that when I fired back up my account for the winter only to see almost my entire queue in a wait status. After about a month, I completely gave up on Blu-ray. It wasn't even like I was asking for recent releases, it was everything. I say save your

I don't think there's any true innovations due to console competition. There's only 2 things that separate the consoles, the hardware and the operating system.

First off the OS is just a pretty interface and that really doesn't put one console over the other.

Now hardware on the other hand is just who has the best CPU, RAM, and GPU. Obviously PC hardware is miles above what's in the consoles. Console makers don't make their hardware. They just make deals with the part makers and fit what ever the can in the machine for a reasonable price.

The only competition should be between game developers.

It was a good idea not to eat the tomatoes Cheapy. Ms. Psycho Maid might've demanded money, or even Tai, in exchange for the antedote.

Wombat, you were definitely being a Christian Bale sized douche bag for calling Cheapy a loser for having to go get his own beer. Maybe Cheapy just wasn't the awesome frat boy that you were in college, but give the guy a break.

If I had farted during the show, I likely would have announced it immediately.
Regardless, I have proof that it was Wombat and I will be posting it later.:evil:

:rofl:
And I thought I was just hearing things when that *squeak* presented itself through my earphones during the show.

[quote name='Wombat']Holy Crap! I just heard it too, and it is awesome.[/quote]

I literally just laughed for 10 minutes straight and farted myself.

nice, timely release of the podcast. The maid story was great. I can't remember too much more about the show now, since i listened to it hours ago, but i'm sure i'll listen again tomorrow and maybe have some more comments. Thanks for the work.

Cheapy, I've noticed that you always say "waiting online" when you mean "waiting in line" for something. What's up with that?

[quote name='Vegan']Cheapy, I've noticed that you always say "waiting online" when you mean "waiting in line" for something. What's up with that?[/quote]

It's an expression among New Yorkers. Either that or they like to actually lay spread out on the heads of the people standing properly IN line.

Remind me to never visit a DMV in New York.

Huh. Found out Shipwreck and I have the same birthday, along with the fact that Wombat's an ass for not mentioning mine in his quest for mentioning birthdays for the week. Though I guess since I'm hated by CAGcast fans that it was probably a PR move... Not.

I think 3 on 3 NHL Arcade does support six players online, so feel free to buy it like you wanted to.

That glassass site was talked about extensively on the Smodcast, which is probably why I'd never watch it from the description and subsequent break down that the Smodcast.

Good show.

Last edited by a moderator:
who cares what anyone rates a game anymore. online and magazine reviews arent important and havent been for a while. the best way to know if a game sucks or not is watch videos and ask people with the same tastes as you even beter rent it. and anyone who buys into reviews done by "official" magazines is a retard. theyre always biased regardless because why would they say their own games suck. that said some reviewers are biased though.

btw cheapy if you see your wife leaving for work with that poop bag filled up i suggest you toss out and or burn all your chopsticks. take no chances.

good show guys, best joke of the show goes to Stu for his Michael Phelps joke. I did enjoy the crazy maid story though. Btw, Batman acted like a baby not like a grown up or a superhero.

[quote name='MassiveDuck']Has that been reviled before this show?[/quote]

I, for one, never could stand it!

Since CAG 2.0 launched, it's been freely available for anyone to see. Go to the podcast page and then CAGcast to see Wombat's full name with his profile. I've seen Shipwreck's full name posted somewhere, but I'm not sure where.

Wombat has been harassing Cheapy to watch Indiana Jones for last several cagcast. Cheapy, do NOT watch it. You would be doing yourself a favor burning you eyes out with acid and stomping on what ever remains than watching it. It is absolutely horrible.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Since CAG 2.0 launched, it's been freely available for anyone to see. Go to the podcast page and then CAGcast to see Wombat's full name with his profile. I've seen Shipwreck's full name posted somewhere, but I'm not sure where.[/QUOTE]

Why the change of heart? I remember him actively going out of his way to avoid saying it be before.

This is the type of in-depth investigation that is on the levels of crime scene investigators.

Cheapy's promise is a promise I believe in, I think Cheapy's oddly proud of his bodily functions to where he would've probably admitted it if he shat himself during a fart on air.

Great show guys, especially when the discussion shifted to the balls of goo, I started laughing out-loud and had people looking at me.

Far Cry 2 is a great game. I do not mind going to the safe houses as I am traveling to a mission to save, or saving after taking the bus to me target area. As for safe house upgrading, I am in the south part of the country, about 68% finished, and my safe houses have health, ammo, explosives, and vehicles.

Wombat,

While your opinions about disliking FarCry 2’s save system might resonate initially, I believe that knocking the game’s lack of ability to save at any time is short-sighted, and missing the whole point of the experience: the thrill of survival. While I wouldn’t dare say that the game is without its flaws, I feel that FarCry 2 really succeeds at thrusting the player into the middle of a living, breathing, dangerous wilderness in which you never escape the awareness of the fight for survival.

One quick example to highlight my point: I had been playing FarCry 2 for 45 minutes since my last visit to a Safe House and, after having gone “of the beaten path” on a diamond escapade, found myself stranded on a 150ft. high ledge with nowhere to go but straight down. I noticed a small river at the bottom of my would-be plunge into the ravine, and considered if it was deep enough for me to be able to survive the dive. So, I backed up far enough to get a running start, considered my options (lose 45 minutes of gaming or risk jumping for it), then hauled ass towards the ledge and—for the first time ever in a game—closed my eyes and pressed the jump button. My stomach knotted and my 2 second fall seemed 10 times longer than it actually was, but I opened my eyes when I heard the splash of water, then grinned ear-to-ear: the body of water was deep enough, and I had survived, unscathed.

At the end of this whole ordeal, I gained a whole new level of respect for the experience that Ubisoft Montreal has delivered in FarCry 2; and it has also allowed me to challenge other gamers with this question: when was the last time that a videogame actually made you hold your breath, close your eyes, knot your stomach, and clinch your sphincter in anticipation of possible death? Probably never. I my honest opinion, it's FarCry 2’s ability to constantly do this that elevates the experience to an artistic level of design, and I applaud its developers for doing so.

In an industry filled with fun, yet mind-numbing open-world gaming experiences, it’s refreshing to play a title that makes progression go hand-in-hand with your own ability to constantly fight for survival. FarCry 2 is an amazing experience, and I hope that gamers everywhere can look past its unorthodox save system to see the real “diamond in the briefcase”. :cool:

[quote name='AwRy108']Wombat,

While your opinions about disliking FarCry 2’s save system might resonate initially, I believe that knocking the game’s lack of ability to save at any time is short-sighted, and missing the whole point of the experience: the thrill of survival. While I wouldn’t dare say that the game is without its flaws, I feel that FarCry 2 really succeeds at thrusting the player into the middle of a living, breathing, dangerous wilderness in which you never escape the awareness of the fight for survival.

One quick example to highlight my point: I had been playing FarCry 2 for 45 minutes since my last visit to a Safe House and, after having gone “of the beaten path” on a diamond escapade, found myself stranded on a 150ft. high ledge with nowhere to go but straight down. I noticed a small river at the bottom of my would-be plunge into the ravine, and considered if it was deep enough for me to be able to survive the dive. So, I backed up far enough to get a running start, considered my options (lose 45 minutes of gaming or risk jumping for it), then hauled ass towards the ledge and—for the first time ever in a game—closed my eyes and pressed the jump button. My stomach knotted and my 2 second fall seemed 10 times longer than it actually was, but I opened my eyes when I heard the splash of water, then grinned ear-to-ear: the body of water was deep enough, and I had survived, unscathed.

At the end of this whole ordeal, I gained a whole new level of respect for the experience that Ubisoft Montreal has delivered in FarCry 2; and it has also allowed me to challenge other gamers with this question: when was the last time that a videogame actually made you hold your breath, close your eyes, knot your stomach, and clinch your sphincter in anticipation of possible death? Probably never. I my honest opinion, it's FarCry 2’s ability to constantly do this that elevates the experience to an artistic level of design, and I applaud its developers for doing so.

In an industry filled with fun, yet mind-numbing open-world gaming experiences, it’s refreshing to play a title that makes progression go hand-in-hand with your own ability to constantly fight for survival. FarCry 2 is an amazing experience, and I hope that gamers everywhere can look past its unorthodox save system to see the real “diamond in the briefcase”. :cool:[/quote]

I thought I had read that in FC2 you don't really "die" in this game...one of your comrades always pulls you away as everything fades to black?

Cheapy and Wombat brought up Dead Rising as another game with a bad save system. I think the point of these games is to force the player to make decisions and live with them. You can't replay the same scenarios over and over trying to complete it the "best" way.

Once I came to terms with the rules the game imposed I found Dead Rising to be one of my most enjoyable games ever.

[quote name='AwRy108']Wombat,

In an industry filled with fun, yet mind-numbing open-world gaming experiences, it’s refreshing to play a title that makes progression go hand-in-hand with your own ability to constantly fight for survival. FarCry 2 is an amazing experience, and I hope that gamers everywhere can look past its unorthodox save system to see the real “diamond in the briefcase”. :cool:[/quote]

The extra thrill that this system creates when you succeed doesn't compensate for the utter annoyance you feel when things don't go your way. People stop playing games over things like this. It's time to move past "going back and replaying" as a punishment in games. "Losing 45 minutes of gaming" should never be an option that has to be weighed in the first place.

[quote name='Vegan']The extra thrill that this system creates when you succeed doesn't compensate for the utter annoyance you feel when things don't go your way. People stop playing games over things like this. It's time to move past "going back and replaying" as a punishment in games. "Losing 45 minutes of gaming" should never be an option that has to be weighed in the first place.[/quote]

I see your point, but I think the issue at hand deserves more than just a "black or white" approach: there's lots of instances in which I would agree with you, but, as I said in my post, I feel that FarCry 2's limited save system actually enhances the type of gameplay that its developers were aiming for.

IMHO, it's a bit narrow-minded to think that, in a game that's all about creating a realistic sense of survival, the experience is broken when "things don't go your way". Heck, even in our cushy American lifestyles, things don't always go the way we'd like--I would imagine that trying to survive in the type of environment depicted in FarCry 2 would result in a lot of chance if careful planning wasn't involved; but if the option of saving anywhere existed, players would stop planning and instead rely on the whole "do-ever" phenomenon, which would break the entire illusion. At that point, you're just left with any other run-of-the-mill FPS, which God knows there's way too many of.

I agree that the type of save system used in FarCry 2 wouldn't work in every game, but I think it's ignorant not to see its purpose in FarCry 2.

Hilarious show yet again, fellows.
I must say that Wombat's status as a former manwhore has placed him on a higher pedestal, at least for this CAG. New chick every two weeks? Never fetching beer for three years?
DAYUM.

Hey guys, I definitely appreciate the shout-out on the show, thanks (particularly to Wombat for putting it in the show notes). We'll keep the thread updated on playoffs progress. Both teams I believe will be playing their Round 1 games this weekend followed immediately by Round 2 if they win.

Depending on demand for the upcoming season, we can create additional teams if enough CAGs are interested and can properly hold a schedule.

~HotShotX

Great show again guys! Shame it was abit short this week though.

Cheapy, i have just watched the pilot for Breaking Bad that you was talking about and it is awesome! Cant wait to watch the rest of them. So thanks! :)

Hey guys,

I love the mix of bullshit and games that you guys throw into the show every week. It makes me laugh and relate to you guys a lot more than other podcasts. This week had a great blend of that vibe.

For the record, I listen to a bunch of other gaming podcasts. Lately it seems like these shows have been mentioning you Cheapy a lot . I think that's pretty cool. My problem is I think you don’t really appreciate it. For example when the 1UP guy mentions your name you should be like cool, not like ugh WTF I dunno what he’s talking about. Cheapy, embrace it and be a little more humbled by it. I know you are an internet space pimp and all, but you don't always have to sound like a douche when it comes to that stuff. Cheapy, I love you and the show. I will always be a fan and listener.

Another topic, I was wondering if you have given thought to taking CAG to the next level. Try to expand it beyond just a deals/community site, but adding reviews and news. Maybe you could talk to some of the ex-1UP guys and bring them on to work with Wombat and Shipwreck. You could create a supersite that covers all the CAG and all the good stuff that 1UP did. You seem to be doing fine without this and why risk it, right? but just think if it really took off...

Thanks for the Wombat fart thing...I needed that.

Cheapy- Your story regarding your maid was one of the funniest things I have heard in a long time. I am also a big fan of the "irrelevant" Howard Stern having grown up listening to him from NBC, K-ROCK and now Sirius...Your story telling is getting better and better with each podcast. Wombat may not like Howard's humor but he has to admit that Howard is a phenomenal radio host and great interviewer. You are learning from the best Keep listening to Stern, dude...You are definitely finding your "voice" and it is a total riot...

Question: Did you consider entering into the "the Next Howard Stern" contest he ran a few months ago (sponsored by Eskimo Pie). You are better than any of the idiots they had on...though Hamhands was funny....

moleson

Surprised no one else pointed out that Wombat got his 'Heroes' info wrong.

Monday night was episode 3.14. (It's not really a "season premiere," since the season started in the fall; Heroes splits its full seasons into two volumes.) Bryan Fuller doesn't take over until 3.19 / 20. Per AICN, the show hits the writer-firing low in a few weeks (3.17-3.18).

That I have to point it out 5 pages into the thread tells you most of what you need to know about Heroes falling off. Right now, Heroes is little more than the show on after "Chuck" (which any / all CAGs should be watching); were it not for TiVo, I would probably have dropped Heroes for 24.

Rochester, NY native here...sadly, Nick Tahou's sold out to his son (I think son) Steve, and it's now named something lame like "Stevie T's Hots." I haven't been there since that change. Garbage plates are so good though!

Only got as far as Cheapy's story about getting sucker-punched so far, thanks to a horrendous day at work, but is "cold-cocked" really the expression? To hear "cold-cocked" and then "taking one for the team" in the same phrase, I think of something completely different... :D

/tk

bread's done
Back