CAGcast #149: Sucker Punched!

Thanks for answering my question on the show.

Oh and I laughed so hard a little bit to hard when Cheapy was talking about watching that Jar video.

I know it as 1guy-1cup

But still a great show!

It's 1guy-1jar really.

If you really want to lose sleep, look up 3guys-1hammer.... FFFFUUUUUUUUU......

More messed up than all other shock memes combined...

Great show, guys.

Not that it helps any since you're obviously on the console, but in Far Cry 2 on the PC you can save anywhere, anytime. I played through it on the console and enjoyed it, but it's a good deal better on the PC.

Going to agree with Wombat on the extra Netflix fees for Blu-Ray. Not a huge difference between that and upscaled regular DVDs. And Netflix has started a worrisome trend of charging for what should be included in the service. Like the recent story that they might ask an extra $10 for people to stream HBO shows.

[quote name='TiE23']It's 1guy-1jar really.

If you really want to lose sleep, look up 3guys-1hammer.... FFFFUUUUUUUUU......

More messed up than all other shock memes combined...[/quote]

Agreed....simply horrible.

Great episode as always, guys. I'll repeat what others have already mentioned about Far Cry 2. The PC version had the "save anywhere" mechanic and with that feature made it easily one of the better games of 2008 for me. When I heard that the console version of the game didn't have that feature and solely relied on the safe houses for saving, I was glad I got the PC version. I definitely agree that without the save anywhere, the game would be much less enjoyable. My guess is that the devs figured that console gamers were more used to the save station type style and would be ok with it, while PC gamers are more accustomed to being able to quick save.

That's something that would make some console games much less frustrating...add the quick save feature! GTA IV is another great example.

To Wombat:

Sega is going to have the following Wii games playable at the NY Comic Con. It would be great to have some first hand impressions for the next show.

Madworld
House of the Dead: Overkill
The Conduit
Sonic and the Black Knight

:applause:I love that Cheapy is plugging both of my shows from AMC: Mad Men and Breaking Bad. Breaking Bad just gets better and better. Hurry up and finish season 1 so you can watch season 2 when it premiers in March.

Cheapy: You have the last laugh on the guy who gave you the black eye given that you're now a self proclaimed internet space pimp.

Wombat: You didn't get a beer your last 3 years of college? Getting your own beer was not only a fantastic way of excusing yourself from a painful conversation but more importantly a way to mingle through the crowd in order to see and be seen.

Shipwreck: Happy birthday dude.

[quote name='CheapyD']Interesting to hear that about the PC version. Yeah, we corrected ourselves and said they made FC1.[/quote]

Seriously, try Far Cry 2 on PC. All the problems you listed are gone and it's REALLY good. Of course, you have to have a really beefy computer, but it's really worth it.

really.

Great show. That maid seems like a wierdie o.o. And that garbage plate looks dankalicious.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']To Wombat:

Sega is going to have the following Wii games playable at the NY Comic Con. It would be great to have some first hand impressions for the next show.

Madworld
House of the Dead: Overkill
The Conduit
Sonic and the Black Knight[/QUOTE]

If you notice, he almost said "Seeeh-(ga)" before quickly backtracking. I'd imagine that's where he was invited to. In any case, I'd mainly like to hear his impressions on MadWorld and The Conduit. HotD is almost out (Plus it's a light-gun style game, so you can guess what it'll be like), and as for Sonic and the Black Knight... eh, just not as interested in this one as the other three.

Interesting that you disliked but wanted to like Far Cry 2 just like me Wombat, but for different reasons. I actually like the traveling across the map and getting into random encounters, but what I hate are the effectiveness of the weapons and terrible stealth mechanics. Every weapon ALWAYS takes at least 10 shots to kill a person(unless it's a sniper/shotgun/etc.) and every gun has an insane recoil. And with a game that presumably has a lot of great places to sneak, it really fucking pisses me off when a guy starts shooting me while I barely see them a half of a mile away. If you hate some of the parts I hate also, I suggest you NEVER play the multiplayer, as it is the cheapest piling of bullshit ever, as all the higher level players usually dominate with their one shot snipers and auto-shooting grenade launchers while you are left with sticks and stone.

P.S. you got Crytek wrong as they didn't make Far Cry 2. It was Ubisoft Montreal that made Far Cry 2. Crytek made Crysis and Far Cry 1.

P.S.S You should really set up a donations page for Speedy1961, we should really give back to him after all those years of saving us cash on deals in advance.

Great show guys love the you tube video on wombat farting. I was laughing my ass off. Cheapy you need to do a you tube video every week I think you have great humor and acting skills that you can make a video on practically anything. I was also wondering what are your thoughts on this. The notification sound on xbox for when a friend signs online is the exact same sound as when you get an achievement. It never really bothered me that much in the past because i never had a lot of friends in my list to begin with. However i find it real annoying now because when I think that I just unlocked an achievement... really its one of my friends signing on to live. I dont ever recall anyone mentioning this and i am really shocked Microsoft doesnt change the friend notification sound. I mean there are a million fukin sounds in the world, im sure they can change this. I tried emailing major nelson about this but no response. Anyway what are your thoughts love the show.

PS what about a new segment for the show on netflix movies. What if you pick one netflix movie that you either watched instantly or got mailed to you and you could give a review on it. I think that would be pretty cool and i would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks love the show.

Cheapy, I never got a code for the beta and I did contribute to the Child's Play fund. I would PM you but there is no option for that when I look at your profile. If you would send me one I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Hey Cheapy why didn't you send a clip of the show to Howard stern when they were doing the next Howard stern contest? that could have been a change to get on the radio.

What happened to the CAG's on news theme song? The news just isn't as exciting without it. Bring it back!

Cheapy D, getting punched in the face is terrible, but judging from what you said, you didn't learn the RIGHT lesson.. not helping isn't the answer.. the answer actually comes from the 1:33 point of this video. (Watch it!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDW6vkuqGLg

DON"T TAKE YOUR EYES OFF THE OPPONENT!

Last edited by a moderator:
woot my first CAGcast mention! Had a good mood the rest of the day lol

But ya, make the college stuff a more regular thing. I'm already learning so much for when to go to college

1. Never let go when you pin a drunk muscular guy when he tries to pick a fight with your friend
2. If you're a senior, never get your own beer

thanks again Cheapy and Wombat!

That garbage plate picture is strangely appealing for someone who was an undergrad in Rochester. Sadly I could finish one back in the day. Also my understanding of the sauce is that it is the grease from cooking the burgers, and the preferred method of eating that is to cover it with ketchup and mustard then cut the burgers into bite-size pieces and mix it all together - at which point it looks even more appealing.

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,
Great show as always.Just wanted to add my two cents regarding your discussion on games like FC2 & GTA4 making you go travel long in-game distances and re-doing that if you die/fail the mission.I have to say that I completely agree with you guys on how tedious and frustrating this can be,but here's what boggles my mind....These are "M" rated games...Last time I checked "M" rated games were made for adults;you know,people with jobs and responsibilities and whose gaming time is limited for the most part.I understand this tactic for E & T games that are geared towards those with less disposable income,but I feel most adult gamers would prefer a solid,10 hour game over a 20hr solid game padded with 5-7 hours of filler.

Hey cheapy,

great show though recent podcasts shows like #149 are really disappointing me since they are getting boring. anyways im curious about your impressions on Gamestops customer service, I personallly dont kow why gamestop is still around since it has shitty store layouts and extra-shitty customer service.P.S I hope podcast #150 Doesnt disapoint. thanks

I have a question for you, Wombat: do you believe professional tennis players ever think to themselves, 'boy this game sure would be a whole lot better if we didn't have that pesky net to deal with?' Indeed, in any game or sport, would the players still play the game if it was not bound by the challenges of its respective ruleset? Of course, in a world of uncertainty and fear, the prospect of unlimited mulligans and the sense of control it would bring seems quite attractive, especially to those of us with flaccid spines and lukewarm constitutions.

Now, in all my time listening to the CAGcast, I had never received the impression that you were anything but the most erect of vertebrates. Which is why I was so surprised to hear you bemoaning the lack of a quicksave feature in the console version of FarCry 2. Becuase I value and respect your opinions as an authority on games, I feel compelled to argue as the devil's advocate, so to speak, and offer a counterpoint to your declaration that all games of this ilk should be equipped with the pussy-fying device you so forcefully promote.

As a designer myself, not of games but of buildings, I can appreciate the considerable creative effort involved in invoking a particular aesthetic through dynamic human interaction with an environment. In this case, Ubisoft has gone to great lengths to take away the players safety net and cast them into a world of desparation and violence. In doing so, the developers force the players to be very deliberate and discilpined in their actions, use the (beautifully crafted) environment around them to their advantage, and, most importantly, to innovate. This is what an open world shooter is all about: immersing the player in a world, developing a set of constraints, and then giving the player free reign to figure out how to creatively deal with those constraints in an effort to advance the storyline. Which says nothing about the safety net that Ubisoft did build into the game.

Perhaps in an effort to qualm naysayers such as yourself, the developers did a little innovation of their own, creating a game mechanic that not only gave the players a second chance if they totally botch a mission, but integrates additional texture and complexity into the aesthetic of the story and environment. The Buddy system in the game does all of this without resorting to cheaply allowing players to just quicksave at any moment and reload after realizing their arrogance in their ability to play the game is entirely unfounded. As lame as I feel when I have to be dragged off the battle field by an elderly eastern european mercenary, it certainly feels less like cheating than relying on the deus ex machina of a quicksave. Also, there is something sublimely poetic about taking your fallen buddy into your arms, putting him out of his misery by pumping full of morphine, and then placing your hand over his face to close the lids of his lifeless eyes...it still gives me chills.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: enjoy the game for what it is and stop wishing it to be something else. Also stop sucking at games so much. Don't worry I still love you Wombat...you to Cheapy.

[quote name='n0man']I have a question for you, Wombat: do you believe professional tennis players ever think to themselves, 'boy this game sure would be a whole lot better if we didn't have that pesky net to deal with?' Indeed, in any game or sport, would the players still play the game if it was not bound by the challenges of its respective ruleset? Of course, in a world of uncertainty and fear, the prospect of unlimited mulligans and the sense of control it would bring seems quite attractive, especially to those of us with flaccid spines and lukewarm constitutions.

Now, in all my time listening to the CAGcast, I had never received the impression that you were anything but the most erect of vertebrates. Which is why I was so surprised to hear you bemoaning the lack of a quicksave feature in the console version of FarCry 2. Becuase I value and respect your opinions as an authority on games, I feel compelled to argue as the devil's advocate, so to speak, and offer a counterpoint to your declaration that all games of this ilk should be equipped with the pussy-fying device you so forcefully promote.

As a designer myself, not of games but of buildings, I can appreciate the considerable creative effort involved in invoking a particular aesthetic through dynamic human interaction with an environment. In this case, Ubisoft has gone to great lengths to take away the players safety net and cast them into a world of desparation and violence. In doing so, the developers force the players to be very deliberate and discilpined in their actions, use the (beautifully crafted) environment around them to their advantage, and, most importantly, to innovate. This is what an open world shooter is all about: immersing the player in a world, developing a set of constraints, and then giving the player free reign to figure out how to creatively deal with those constraints in an effort to advance the storyline. Which says nothing about the safety net that Ubisoft did build into the game.

Perhaps in an effort to qualm naysayers such as yourself, the developers did a little innovation of their own, creating a game mechanic that not only gave the players a second chance if they totally botch a mission, but integrates additional texture and complexity into the aesthetic of the story and environment. The Buddy system in the game does all of this without resorting to cheaply allowing players to just quicksave at any moment and reload after realizing their arrogance in their ability to play the game is entirely unfounded. As lame as I feel when I have to be dragged off the battle field by an elderly eastern european mercenary, it certainly feels less like cheating than relying on the deus ex machina of a quicksave. Also, there is something sublimely poetic about taking your fallen buddy into your arms, putting him out of his misery by pumping full of morphine, and then placing your hand over his face to close the lids of his lifeless eyes...it still gives me chills.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: enjoy the game for what it is and stop wishing it to be something else. Also stop sucking at games so much. Don't worry I still love you Wombat...you to Cheapy.[/QUOTE]

Damn that was a good point! You know so good, in fact, I think you must have helped develop far cry 2...

[quote name='Thomas96']Damn that was a good point! You know so good, in fact, I think you must have helped develop far cry 2...[/quote]
I disagree, pro tennis player get payed to play,while wombat and most of the rest of us...PLAY FOR FUN.Games should be fun.End of story

Am I the only one that thinks Wombat is an asshole? I've always hated him but his pompous douchebaggery reached dizzying heights this episode. Wow, Wombat. You were such a badass in college. We are all so impressed by your ability to not get your own drinks.

How can anyone say that the CAG Cast is getting boring. Now granted I've been listening to the CagCast for sometime and never joined the boards here but come on. I work in a shop, I work on many projects that while the end product is badass (i.e Ballistic Shields [SWAT team], Ballistic Undercarriges [State Vehicles] and more carbon fiber than I can stand) my job itself is the less glamorous grunt work. It's hard and tiring and well I'm a OG Gamer (so on the thick side) at 30. But the CAGCast is what makes my day a little better.

I've listen to many gamer casts and most are too stuffy. CAGCast is one of the best around. Maybe I can just relate as I'm a single dad with 2 kids. I've been there with the poopin, pukin, not sleepin and so forth.

Cheapy.... Hook it up with some Asian Girls. Those college days in Frisco really are some of the best times... so many asians so little time.

Wombat.... So what is your a 30+ gamer talking about your old college glory days. Come on most of these kids here don't even know what your talking about and probably never will.

And your not a pimp until you can get others to get your drinks for you. Pimp on Wombat.

[quote name='Super_Cholo'] the CAGCast is what makes my day a little better.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed Bro! Keep it up Fellas, and for those that don't like it, FUK'em thats why!

Hay Cheapy & Wombat,

Why don't you offer to open up the beta to anyone who donates to the Childs Play Charity now? If you have room in the beta, it would be a great way to raise more money and the charity. You could even put a limit on it e.g. a $10 or $20 donation gets you in.

Just a thought.

Loyal listener,
TDog

All farting aside, did Mrs. Cheapy fire that maid, and if yes, how did she react? Did CheapyD receive a suckpunch from Maria? Or did Mrs. Cheapy put up a strong fight, throwing that bi*ch out on her ass with her stupid bowl of cherry tomatoes?

[quote name='Xavin']No CAGcast till next week? sad face :([/quote]
true dat, please make it early or how bout a clip show the week you guys don't do a cagcast.There's a whole in my listening week without it

hey,
wombat since you've lived in philadelphia for a couple of years you might have eaten at either geno's or pat's. if you have which was better.:)

Cheapppppy my roomate sells weed and i want to mail you some. Its the dankest medical shit i have ever seen. Is there a P.O. box i can send this too??

Thought you'd like to know that somewhere in the twelfth minute of the Geekbox Radio podcast (ex 1UP staff), someone mentions Howard Stern. So, you aren't the only one.
Love the show,
Ceiroh (Kai-row)

Wombat -

Don't know if this was mentioned to you since this podcast aired. (I'm sorry, I'm behind in my podcasts.) But the episodes of Heroes with the new writing staff have not aired yet. It will not be until episode 3.19, which won't air until March 9th, that Bryan Fuller will be back at the helm of the Heroes sinking ship.

bread's done
Back