CAGcast #151: Xbox Vista

Well, the NCAA licenses seemed to happen because nobody else could oppose EA so they got them by default, though 2K bowing out of making 2K9 this past fall was a bit odd.

I wouldn't put the NBA and MLB licenses in there either since they still allowed multiple publishers to make games within their own terms, though I imagine 2K initiated the MLB deal.

Oh by the way I saw Wall-E like a long time ago when it fist came out,and it was great movie.Now I know there's one hilarious part in the movie where he's in a grocery store trying to get EVA's attention,when out of nowhere these karts come rolling full speed behind him.Then when he gets to the door he realizes that it's locked,and he starts banging on the door like "Let me out!".LOL!

i was all for supporting the cagcast and its chief beneficiaries with a netflix trial, but now that i'm in, i'm a bit disappointed. i won't even bother going into detail about how they think i was once a member and required me to start paying right away.

cheapy, i heard you talk about watching episodes of the office on there, so i thought it would be worth giving it a go to catch some television programs as well as movies. i added quantum leap, dead like me, and little britain. the first 3 episodes of quantum leap were unavailable. in place of an episode description and the option to view, i was greeted with the message, "this episode is available on disc only" or something like that. then i found the same thing in the other television programs in my queue.

the instant-watch queue, the most important feature for the 360 gamer, the key selling point of a service i had entirely ignored until today, does not have full functionality for tv programs, and i think it's important to tell everyone that. i am on the fence about the service on the whole as a result of this. currently, i don't see that this is going to be much better than sticking with the new york public library which my tax dollars already pay for. the library is the original gangster of "file sharing," but nobody seems to be bothering them about it thankfully.

[quote name='thakingrocka']i was all for supporting the cagcast and its chief beneficiaries with a netflix trial, but now that i'm in, i'm a bit disappointed. i won't even bother going into detail about how they think i was once a member and required me to start paying right away.

cheapy, i heard you talk about watching episodes of the office on there, so i thought it would be worth giving it a go to catch some television programs as well as movies. i added quantum leap, dead like me, and little britain. the first 3 episodes of quantum leap were unavailable. in place of an episode description and the option to view, i was greeted with the message, "this episode is available on disc only" or something like that. then i found the same thing in the other television programs in my queue.

the instant-watch queue, the most important feature for the 360 gamer, the key selling point of a service i had entirely ignored until today, does not have full functionality for tv programs, and i think it's important to tell everyone that. i am on the fence about the service on the whole as a result of this. currently, i don't see that this is going to be much better than sticking with the new york public library which my tax dollars already pay for. the library is the original gangster of "file sharing," but nobody seems to be bothering them about it thankfully.[/quote]

I am rather confused. I watch Heroes (which I stopped recently watching, because the show is now TERRIBLE), 30 Rock, Some of the office, and plenty of movies without a single problem. Are we using the same service? Sounds like either your having problems and should notify tech support, or may be the shows you chose are limited and I have been lucky enough to not run into the problem.

well, god damn. what the hell are the odds that the 3 shows i would pick would be limited? i just added heroes season 1 (which jumped the shark with the time travel episode btw) to my queue and the whole season is available for instant viewing. everything i am interested in has to be difficult. that's just the life i lead. crap.

let it be known then, that some of the shows are limited and will eventually require you to get at least one of the discs in order to complete the season. sadly, this is still a possible dealbreaker for me.

The Flower/Braid discussion was interesting. When Braid first came out, my impressions were that it was the usual 2D platformer with different graphical style than usual. I think that the focus on that is what led people to say it was pretentious (I don't think it was pretentious, though I don't think it was anything special... I think my first reaction was "looks like a Thomas Kincaid ripoff"). The focus should've been more on the ability to manipulate time rather than the look of the game; I think if that were the case then it would've avoided the pretentious label.
As for Flower, I think it, to some extent, avoids the pretention label. Playing it seems so natural and effortless that you can almost forget there's a message. And there is a message - although I don't agree that it's necessarily 'green' energy. I think the theme is reversing decay, and that the windmills are more or less a byproduct of the gameplay mechanic (how else are you supposed to produce electricity as a puff of wind?), although it is a well-timed one. Rather than being preachy, as it easily could've been, Flower is about environmental and urban renewal, not a green energy agenda.

Hey guys, great show. I don't know if this is a repost because there is like 8 pages of comments already. But, you guys are right about the xbox vista. I only have about 20 people on my friends list and it takes a good 30 to 45 seconds before it loads their avatars, and if my friends are in partys, it always shows people that are not on my friends list from the party first.

The thing about going through the menus during the game though, I used to get frustrated trying to repeatedly smashing the 'B' button to return to the game from deep within the menus, when I found out you can just push the xbox menu button again and it goes away, no matter how deep in the menus you are.

Xbox Vista is slow as hell completly agree with you guys, Microsoft need to stop doing stuff like this, if it aint broke don't fix it, or atleast don't make it worse.

the friends list never loads for me, and i have a 120gb with over 80gb free. if i had paid any money for one of those premium themes with the cool stuff around my friends, i'd be pissed at the fact that i could never see them. the previous dash f'ed all the themes up by putting ads and info in front of them. now, they simply don't load. i also find this dash to be less intuitive than the previous one.

the guide does come up more quickly for me though than the previous version did.

[quote name='itachiitachi']First off how many FPS's have even come out for the Wii? Not that many.

Next what is more important then graphics in most FPS's(besides controls)? Online play, everyone knows the Wii sucks for multiplayer.

Also didn't Cod 3 sell more one the wii than the PS3.

Last What console has the best graphics and controls? The PC yet it usually lags behind in sales for most games(And don't say PC gaming is so expensive you can get a good PC for less than the price of a PS3 and spend less on upgrades than you do buying a new console every 6 years)[/quote]

Why be so out dated with sales figures? Why use a game that is a few years old to compare with current trends? Lets use the current Call of Duty Game. World at War has sold 1.41 million units on the 360, 600,000 on the PS3 and less than 200,000 on the Wii, DS, PS2 combined (link).

So this tells us that FPS may not be considered a casual type of game. Majority of Wii owners are un-educated consumers that do not know what to buy for there $249.99 casual platform.

Also, you need to be an educated consumer to go the PC route, and many people are not willing to upgrade so often to play the newest and badest games on the market. Consumers are lazy and just want a disc to put in a drive and have it run automatically. Your comment about controls for best system is an opinion and not fact.

[quote name='itachiitachi']My point was not that you should buy a FPS for the Wii , it was simply that saying that people won't want to play an FPS on the Wii become of the controls is illogical(especially if controls are matter of preference). Maybe you don't like them yourself and that is fine, but everyone I've seen give a game like RE4 or MP3 a shoot say it's the best FPS controls on any console. Of course as long as Nintendo continues there asinine friend codes, the multiplayer is going to suck, and then the also have worse graphics less power and haven’t bothered to establish or court many new fps franchises. So if you’re a control whores that don’t care about online gaming then wii is for you, if not the wouldn’t expect you to want to buy a game for it.

My point there was just that because a game has alot going for it doesn’t mean it will sell well, Just look at ratchet and clank nuts and bolts it's not going to sell as well as a madden game but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t more creative, didn't have a better level design and game play or that it wasn't a better game. It just means that more people bought madden.
[/quote]

These people you give the controls to are they casual gamers or hardcore? I bet you that they are casual. The wii controller lacks buttons that help bring out the game. Now I will admit I have never played a FPS game on the wii, but I need buttons for the following:

• Jumping
  • Crouching
  • Dashing
  • Scoping (aiming)
  • Melee
  • Alternate Fire
  • Grendae Throwing
  • Weapon/Item Select
Now after all this, the Wii only has four buttons plus the D-pad for all these actions. This means that some stuff of a traditional FPS will have to be left out. So if people are telling you that they are the best FPS controlls around than they have never played on a console or PC. Also, a big hint that they are casual gamers is that they think Resident Evil 4 is a FPS.

Also, to knock on you a bit there is no game known as Ratchet and Clank: Nuts and Bolts, how dare you sir get that mixed up. Mr. Price and Insomniac did a damn fine job on that franchise only to have you butcher it by comparing it to a hashed over franchise from a godless company.

The thing that annoys me the most about the new dashboard is that it starts you off on Spotlight. I didn't turn on my 360 to look at ads; I turned it on to play games.

I realize it's something fairly small to complain about, but it's something that doesn't need to be there in the first place.

I dont have much quarrels with the new dashboard but yeah sometimes it does freeze up on you which can be really gay if your in the middle of a cod4 match

[quote name='Davestation']Why be so out dated with sales figures? Why use a game that is a few years old to compare with current trends? Lets use the current Call of Duty Game. World at War has sold 1.41 million units on the 360, 600,000 on the PS3 and less than 200,000 on the Wii, DS, PS2 combined (link). [/quote]
Becuase he said that no fps could sell well on the wii, yet we have case were a wii version outsold a ps3 version.
Quite honesly I had no idea there was a new CoD games out on the wii, I'm guessing the wii version is not being marketed that hard.

[quote name='Davestation']
Also, you need to be an educated consumer to go the PC route, and many people are not willing to upgrade so often to play the newest and badest games on the market. Consumers are lazy and just want a disc to put in a drive and have it run automatically. [/quote]
You hardly ever have to upgrade your PC(about as often as you buy a new console), at recent lan party I let a friend borrow my 8 year old comp that had been sitting in the attic, it ran AoE3 and all the steam games fine. I agree that consumers are lazy and that a console is much less hassle than a PC.

[quote name='Davestation']Your comment about controls for best system is an opinion and not fact.[/quote]
If a regular control can handle FPS, why do most 360/ps3 fps have autoaim features?

• Jumping
  • Crouching
  • Dashing
  • Alternate Fire/Scoping (aiming)
  • Grendae Throwing
  • Weapon/Item Select/Melee(you select the melee wepon)
This is how most pc games handle it in which case a the wii setup has enough buttons
[quote name='Davestation']
Also, to knock on you a bit there is no game known as Ratchet and Clank: Nuts and Bolts, how dare you sir get that mixed up. Mr. Price and Insomniac did a damn fine job on that franchise only to have you butcher it by comparing it to a hashed over franchise from a godless company.[/quote]
My bad Banjo-Kazooie: nuts and bolts

[quote name='itachiitachi']Becuase he said that no fps could sell well on the wii, yet we have case were a wii version outsold a ps3 version.
Quite honesly I had no idea there was a new CoD games out on the wii, I'm guessing the wii version is not being marketed that hard.

You hardly ever have to upgrade your PC(about as often as you buy a new console), at recent lan party I let a friend borrow my 8 year old comp that had been sitting in the attic, it ran AoE3 and all the steam games fine. I agree that consumers are lazy and that a console is much less hassle than a PC.

If a regular control can handle FPS, why do most 360/ps3 fps have autoaim features?

• Jumping
  • Crouching
  • Dashing
  • Alternate Fire/Scoping (aiming)
  • Grendae Throwing
  • Weapon/Item Select/Melee(you select the melee wepon)
This is how most pc games handle it in which case a the wii setup has enough buttons

My bad Banjo-Kazooie: nuts and bolts[/quote]

No, Call of Duty 3 sold better on the 360 and PS2 in November and December 2006 according to NPD figures. PS3 had a very low install base so it is only natural that the percentage of Call of Duty sales where low for the system. In fact Call of Duty did not make the top 20 for Wii or PS3 in either month. Link

For the PC, consumers are not only lazy, but are probably intimidated by going the PC route. They are un-educated and I am one of those consumers as well. Tried the mouse and keyboard and did not like it.

The Wii is set up with four primary buttons. The +, -, 1, and 2 buttons are hardley ever used in games. So that leaves four buttons plus the D-pad. The D-Pad would be the weapon select so you are still short buttons. You can not easily adjust hour right hand to hit the 1 or 2 buttons on the controller to use them.

Many FPS do have auto aim features that are enabled. Though 95% you can go in and disable the auto aim. Also auto aim is disabled for online multi-player in many cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Call of Duty 3 was crap.

I prefer the precision of the mouse and keyboard.. but I'm not opposed to a gamepad as long as it don't prohibit from better controls and actually dumb down the actual game.. Halo Wars, I'm looking at you. I'm not saying it is a bad game, but the game totally removes the aspect of pc rts genre of micromanaging and developing better routines for resource gathering, tech trees, etc.

The Wii could run pretty much any control scheme it wants, because in the end you could hook up the GCN gamepad if the Wii Controls are a problem.

bread's done
Back