CAGcast #152: The Adventures of Jewbeard

Of course I download the CAGcast and my iPod dies (for about the seventh time). Looks like it might be time for an upgrade. I'll find some way to listen though, come hell or high water!

[quote name='maxgle']Downloading now.. :)[/quote]Not attacking my fellow CAGers, but what's the point of these first few posts week after week? It's like the guys who write "First!" on aintitcool.com comments.

Just started listening to the cast but wanted to comment on the Xbox "Dashboard lag" before I forgot about it. I just turned on my first gen 360 to see how long it took to pull up the guide and open the friends list. I counted about 1 second to pull up the guide and another 1-2 secs to open the friend list from there. I have 15 friends on my list.

I would be pissed too if it took 60-90 seconds to pull up a friends list, but I'm not seeing that with my 360. Cheapy, I think you should use your contacts with MSFT to find out what the hell is wrong with this subset of 360s which seem to be having unreasonable amounts of lag.

It's weird you mentioned on the show about NXE getting quicker for people, because mine definitely has been faster lately.

[quote name='Wombat']Robot has already confirmed that they are making the Halo Wars DLC

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/new-dev-working-on-halo-wars-dlc[/quote]

Yeah I was just about to mention this, guys set up Robot for future title updates and DLC. I reckon they will release other campaigns covering the other factions.

I had to comment that I found it funny that you went from discussing not knowing the word "Philistine" to Wombat's "Jewbeard."

"Lowbrow" wasn't the synonym that I think of. The Torah would lead me to think of unclean and uncircumcised.

I wanted to know if Nick was intentionally targeting his "pretentious" reply at Wombat's heritage? The Jewish people of old would certainly not have appreciated the label. I thought it was appropriately funny and clever.

[quote name='banodyne']Not attacking my fellow CAGers, but what's the point of these first few posts week after week? It's like the guys who write "First!" on aintitcool.com comments.[/QUOTE]

At least they're not calling CAGs "CAGers".

Playing SF4 in arcade mode with fight interruptions will get you a constant stream of challengers i'd say about at most 30 seconds after each match ends than waiting at the quick match lobby pressing search over and over and not being able to connect. So if you want to play people then play arcade mode rather than quick match.

Both of your iMacs are capable of playing PC games like the Total War game you mentioned. You just choose not to play them.

And in Wombat's jewbeard defense, he wasn't doing that bad in that Killzone gamenight.

Wombat's brilliant dramatic reading of Suttner's Braid review nearly made me collapse in a spasm of uncontrollable laughter which would have been bad as I was at work. I think Wombat should now find pretentious reviews do this with on a weekly basis.

Another great podcast by the way.

Haha, CheapyD first joined me in some Killzone 2, then BravoSnake and DarkNessBear joined in later. I think Thongsy was in there too for a bit.

That triple kill was impressive. Too bad we ended up losing that game by about a minute. Bastards got the bombs planted and we lost 4-3.

Nice playing with you though, Cheapy!

Great cast this week guys, you all have been on a roll of some really good ones.

You're both always an inspiration for me and my podcast.

[quote name='killthemall4444']Wombat's brilliant dramatic reading of Suttner's Braid review nearly made me collapse in a spasm of uncontrollable laughter which would have been bad as I was at work. I think Wombat should now find pretentious reviews do this with on a weekly basis.

Another great podcast by the way.[/quote]

I concur kind sir. That was one of the best rebuttals I have heard all year. I also enjoyed the little jab he made about his (Nick Suttners) present employer later in the show. Sounds like Wombat has been getting some, he is way more uplifted in the past few weeks.

With regards to the Toys R Us game trading talk.

I don't know if this was rolled out nationwide but this isn't the first time they have delved into this business. I remember when the N64 came out. Maybe 1996 ish? I took all of my SNES and Genesis games to my local TRU and traded them in for store credit. They had a counter specifically for game trades set up when you walked in and a book sitting there telling you what each game was worth. I know I traded everything I had in for credit to buy the good old N64, which they of course had none in stock. I was like 18 then not too bright. This was a failed idea then and only lasted a few months. I cannot imagine this working at all now either since the other sites like Gamecrazy, EB/Gamestop, and now even Amazon have a leg up on them.

Kez

Good show, but not as great as the last two if you ask me! I really liked Cheapy's performance, but Wombat didn't fare so well this show, except for bein Jewbeard, that was really funny!

Also, a couple of notes:

1- I'm a listener from Brazil too! So I guess now there are at least two here at CAG ;) ;

2- As a new Xbox 360 owner, with a Jasper board, I too don't experience any sort of Dashboard lag whatsoever. However, I don't have any friends at my friends list yet... so, if I can by any miracle find some friends, I'll let you guys know if it start to become laggy.

That's it, already looking forward to the next show, keep up the good work guys! Oh, and if you could persuade the Shipwrecks to find some time to make a new CAGForeplay, that would rock!

[quote name='Davestation']Thats not a jewbeard, more like a jewgoatee.[/quote]Wrong again. It's a JewVanDyke (Goatee has no mustache).

[quote name='mriswyth']I had to comment that I found it funny that you went from discussing not knowing the word "Philistine" to Wombat's "Jewbeard."

"Lowbrow" wasn't the synonym that I think of. The Torah would lead me to think of unclean and uncircumcised.

I wanted to know if Nick was intentionally targeting his "pretentious" reply at Wombat's heritage? The Jewish people of old would certainly not have appreciated the label. I thought it was appropriately funny and clever.[/quote]After the Jewish Revolt in AD 70, the Romans renamed Judea Palastina (Palestine as rendered in English), as a reference to the Philistines and a deliberate insult to the Jews.

The Arab word for "Palestine," Falastin, is the Arabic pronunciation of the Latin Palastina. I'll leave it to others to ponder the implications of that linguistic fact.

I'll try to get Killzone 2 this weekend and join you guys with yells of "Big Ass Chains!"

Also it will be interesting to see how my local TRU does against GC, and GS.

Way to put Dr MarioKart in his place. Red Steel on the Wii is garabage, its just more shovelware. The graphics are crap and the controls are terrible. FPS's belong on the PC with intense power pushing graphics and 100 man multiplayer matches. And if not there at least on a console with dual analog sticks...sheesh.

The real test would be a cross platform Wii/ps3/360 fps game, and I'm sure you know which ones will look and play better. Nice show

Big Ass Chains!

You guys may be on a roll. The podcasts of late are particularly enjoyable. Cheapy vs. Wombat happens to be a great dynamic. Not that it's news to any of us fans.

Since Wombat has gotten his new microphone he's been more professional as a broadcaster. Which is something that I've always wanted in this show.

Wombat's opinions are mostly spot on, and always entertaining. I am happy to see him laying off of the ME ME ME stuff a little bit.

Maybe it's the microphone. Or maybe it's having a family and a youngun, where there is no space for ME ME ME. Or maybe it's the gay job.

I would also like to mention that I have not been able to stomach another video gaming podcast for more than 5 minutes. They all suck. I wish there was one, just one fucking gaming podcast, that had the production values and momentum of the Cagcast. The podcast got me into the cagsite, and reminds me to support the site. Keep it going!

(I have to be a top 200 CAG affiliate buyer- can you (Cheapy) tell who is buying through the site the most?)

Cheapy, save yourself the money on a mac mini and just get this for your current macbook:
http://www.nullriver.com/products/medialink

It lets you stream movies, music or pictures straight from the hard drive on your computer to your PS3 over your home network. Your macbook hard drive shows up right in the XMB. Sometimes you can get some stuttering when watching movies if your network is too slow, but in general it works great for me, and sure beats hooking my computer up to my tv anytime i want to watch a movie I've downloaded. Plus the PS3 does a great job of scaling the video so that it looks good (at least on my 42in 1080p tv).

Don't mean to sound like an advertisement, but this really works great and it's waaay cheaper than a mac mini.
Thanks for the podcast, keep up the good work

So I was listening to this show (I'm a long time, direct-through-itunes, listener) and finally decided to check out the actual CAG site, didn't realise it came in a UK form also! My god, the money I could've been saving! Oh well, at least I'm wise to it now.

Loved the episode, but I think you really missed the boat on the potential new PSP. First, the games would run off of memory sticks, not SD cards or whatever else you suggested. Second, there already is a store for the PSP, almost identical to the PS3's PlaystationStore, and it doesn't just sell tiny iPhone-esque apps like Wombat suggested. It sells real, full games. The rumored new PSP is pushing the market towards a download-only future, and I personally find it exciting.

Hey Wombat, I'm getting new glasses soon and I like yours... do they have name or somthing? Because I wana get them :)

[quote name='TheFreshPrince']Loved the episode, but I think you really missed the boat on the potential new PSP. First, the games would run off of memory sticks, not SD cards or whatever else you suggested. Second, there already is a store for the PSP, almost identical to the PS3's PlaystationStore, and it doesn't just sell tiny iPhone-esque apps like Wombat suggested. It sells real, full games. The rumored new PSP is pushing the market towards a download-only future, and I personally find it exciting.[/QUOTE]

But my current PSP does all of that, why do a need a PSP 2?

Goddamn! Nothing beats 2 jews making jew jokes. Captain Jew Beard was one of the best parts of the show. Keep up the good work.

[quote name='Wombat']But my current PSP does all of that, why do a need a PSP 2?[/quote]

Would you buy a PSP 2 if it added another analog? What new features would make you want to purchase it? For instance as a consumer, I do not want two shitty .5 megapixel cameras and a SD slot with them taking away backwards compatability and be charged more money for a essential re-hash. The system would have to offer something new and better. Speaking of witch how are people going to play Guitar Hero on the DSi?

I don't have an iPhone, so I don't know why it would be any better than the PS Store, but the PSP does have its own store to download content from.

The new, rumored PSP is being made to reinvigorate the PSP market and if it has no UMD drive, it's also an attempt to get rid of piracy. If they don't change the guts and make it more powerful or whatever they may have in mind, I imagine that you'll be fine with your normal PSP. It may be mostly for new people and those that want the best, newest versions of their electronics.

Why is the PlayStation site not allowed to have added functionality just because the PS3 has stuff it needs, as well? There has to be two different teams working on those aspects, so whining about one being improved at the expense of the other seems stupid. Trophies should be mandatory in 99% of this year's games, which doesn't include 08 stragglers like Afro Samurai.

Good show. Great intro, too.

Nice beard Jewbeard. I wrote that review on iTunes cause I have enjoyed your podcast for a long time. It wasn't until recent that I joined that boards. I figured if the podcast was that funny then the boards had to be just as good.

And I even contributed to your pockets by signing up for Netflix. (Just got the 360 after much much pushing. )

CheapyD, why are you buying individual stocks? That kind of trading is only going to lose you money in the long run. Stick with mutual funds, my man. You don't do nearly enough research on a daily basis to do well with picking stocks individually. To try to read the market is financial suicide for regular guys like us!

[quote name='Wombat']But my current PSP does all of that, why do a need a PSP 2?[/QUOTE]

i see your point reference the PSP2, i myself have a list of psp additions that need be included with the PSP2:

-PSP2 games should be playable from the PS3
-screen should have no daytime glare.
-internal harddrive
-PSP2, should have L2 R2 and 2nd Analog
-PSP2, games should have trophies and should have be compatible with the PSN sign in, and have a universal friend list, for a total of 200 friend slots for the ps3 and PSP2,
-IPOD like music sorting
-PSN should add a mp3 sand music video store.
-apps, calender, alarm, shizam(ithink thats the app that you play the song and it gives the name) and let people create their own apps to be sold on PSN

PSP2, has to generate a totally new experience to have success.

A new PSP just doesn't seem like the smarter move from Sony. Really what is the point? Dragging sales, less than spectacular games, Movies were for the most part pointless. A new PSP will only honestly serve to drag Sony down further.

It is in the same category as the DSi to be honest. What is the old saying... if it ain't broke don't fix it. The DS was fine, I have the DS lite and don't see any reason to move to another. For 2 crappy cameras and a download service. Sounds like a great idea and one that will bring Nintendo more revenue, but at what cost?

The PSP comes with some more additions, but once again at what cost? Higher price point? So maybe you might be happy with a few additional features but where is it going to revolutionize the hand held market and blow the original PSP out of the market?

With a crappy sales and marketing team already in place, look for future sagging sales in the long run and to make up for it, higher prices on everything else.

I hate paying as much as I do already for games and so forth, With an already crappy economy (was laid off too) sales are already taking a hit. Don't take chances when you have an economy that is a long way off from taking an upward turn.

Anyone else feel like they were in Bizarro world when the listened to this episode? I frequently wanted to punch Wombat and thought Cheapy was being intelligent, which has never happened to me before. I found myself /facepalm-ing to Wombat's reading of N.Suttner's braid review, which he tried to make him sound highbrow, but totally failed, as it sounded like Wombat was saying "LOL DURRR BRAID MAKES FUN OFZZZ MEEZZZ AS I DUN UNDERSTAND IT LOL SO THRUSSS ITS PRETENSISOUSSSSS LOLZ", basically making fun of himself. Seriously, if me, a kid in high school can easily understand it, i think you should too.

I forgot my other comments I wanted to say, but nothing that offended my as such as Wombat's comment. I also remember Cheapy saying something REALLY smart, although I forgot what it was.

I am sorry if these comments are mean or seem troll-like, but I am literally facepalming over some of the comments about N.Suttner's braid review. I bang my head into a wall when I hear the world pretentious with that review, as his review perfectly states what Braid does to qualify it as an amazing game. I recommend reading the full review, which doesn't sound highbrow at all.

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3169204

[quote name='as50193']I am sorry if these comments are mean or seem troll-like, but I am literally facepalming over some of the comments about N.Suttner's braid review. I bang my head into a wall when I hear the world pretentious with that review, as his review perfectly states what Braid does to qualify it as an amazing game. I recommend reading the full review, which doesn't sound highbrow at all.

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3169204[/QUOTE]

You may like the game (haven't tried it yet, so no opinion here), but you can't deny that Nick's review was pretentious. Now, wheter you agree it's a good game or not it's another story, but even if the game was perfect as he states, it almost seems like he is being paid by the developers or something, even though I know it didn't happen.

Still, Wombat's comments on this were pretty spot on if you ask me. Again, no formal opinion about it, I have yet to play it. Hmm, maybe I'll download the Demo tomorrow.

Great Show. That review was pretentious as was most of the editorials on 1upFM and the rebel FM podcast. Braid may have been a good game with some new ideas, but It wasn't gods gift to XBLA as some game "journalists" think it is. Wombat should start reading all these pretentious reviews in the same way. I nominate Flower next.

[quote name='as50193']Anyone else feel like they were in Bizarro world when the listened to this episode? I frequently wanted to punch Wombat and thought Cheapy was being intelligent, which has never happened to me before. I found myself /facepalm-ing to Wombat's reading of N.Suttner's braid review, which he tried to make him sound highbrow, but totally failed, as it sounded like Wombat was saying "LOL DURRR BRAID MAKES FUN OFZZZ MEEZZZ AS I DUN UNDERSTAND IT LOL SO THRUSSS ITS PRETENSISOUSSSSS LOLZ", basically making fun of himself. Seriously, if me, a kid in high school can easily understand it, i think you should too.

I forgot my other comments I wanted to say, but nothing that offended my as such as Wombat's comment. I also remember Cheapy saying something REALLY smart, although I forgot what it was.[/QUOTE]

I don't quite get what your saying. Do you think I didn't understand the review or did you just not get the joke?

[quote name='Wombat']I don't quite get what your saying. Do you think I didn't understand the review or did you just not get the joke?[/quote]

I understood the joke you were trying to make, but you just came off as an ignoramus. Sure, his review seems a bit highbrow and pretentious, but it's not hard to read at all, it just seemed you tried to make it seem more complicated that it really was. To review a game like braid, you can't just say "I jumped on stuff and reversed time and solved puzzles A+", his review perfectly describes why it is such a great game(IMO) not in terms gameplay only or story only.

Note: You also said dempth(is that a word?) instead of depth.

bread's done
Back