CAGcast #156: Buddy, Can You Spare a Fish Sandwich?

[quote name='Vegan']First Cheapy, now Wombat. I can't help but notice when you guys say "waiting on line" when you mean "waiting in line" for something. Is this a New York colloquialism, like the pronunciation of "Mario"?[/quote]

ha i noticed this too.

its like sometimes they are speaking a different language.

Wombat should've ordered a fish sandwich for himself. Then he could've turned to the woman and said "I got the last one, sucka!"

Enjoyed the Cast as usual

Specifically when the talk turned to Downloadable games and how its more so about selecting the best place to spend your money and getting the most for your dollar(s) because I know I tend to look into things before I go tossing money into them.

Then later Wombat was talking about the follow the bullet DLC that let you mess around with the footage for the killzone 2 commercial. And the first thing that popped into my head was that does sound cool.

Then later when Cheepy was talking about netflix and their possible desire for an all streaming future, The second thing that popped into my head was an article that I ran across.

http://www.businessweek.com/technol...chan=top+news_top+news+index+-+temp_top+story

That covered Time warrner cables plans to limit users bandwidth and charge them overage fees much like going over your cellphone minutes for going over your allotted bandwidth. That from the sounds of it is going to be going into a testing phase in the not too distant future and the looming threat that other ISPs could follow suit.

With things leaning towards an all digital DLC/Streaming future how do you think a potential move like this on the part of the ISP(s) is going to impact for all intents and purposes Everything. When you end up Thinking twice because Streaming that movie over netflix, Purchasing a digital copy of a game (that can easily run upwards of 1gb by itself) or heck even that free game DLC not to mention that 100Mb to 1Gb game demo is going to push you over your bandwidth limit and your going to get stuck with a bandwidth overage bill ?

I tossed a bandwidth monitor on my system just out of curiosity and you would be surprised how fast seemingly small stuff adds up. Just watching some streaming online video from Hulu was running me on average about 150megs an episode. Which still doesn't sound like much until you look at their proposed bandwidth ranges from a mighty 5GB all the way to a awe inspiring 40gb..............

I know if my ISP tried something like that would firstly push me to change ISPs faster than you can say fuck and if it ended up being something that became unavoidable would dissuade me from digital downloads, streaming video and stop game demos dead in their tracks.

Anyhow I would like to hear your thoughts on the subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='flyers241']Wombat should've ordered a fish sandwich for himself. Then he could've turned to the woman and said "I got the last one, sucka!"[/quote]

:applause:

Those fish sandwiches at Wendy's are really good Wombat, my rich ass bought one last week.

Cheapy, the wireless SingStar mics are available right now in Europe. They retail for 29.99GBP and work on any region ps3.

Why get a fish sandwhich when there are so many other good items on the menu >.<

Wombat you should have said.."Do you want a fish sandwhich?" and whens he said yes you shoulda said..

"Me too I'ma get one"

walk way

The reason the updates for the PS3 take so long is that Sony makes you reinstall the whole operating system. It does get very annoying when they seemingly change four lines of code and the whole thing needs to be reinstalled. The microsoft updates patch the code, like any update should. Imaging having to reinstall Mac OS X or windows everytime an update came out, not fun.

Also for Dark Sector, I bought the game when it came out and ended up trading it in since I beat it fairly quickly. I kind of want to buy it again since you came get it for like 10 bucks.

DAMN WOMBAT! I laughed when you talked about the chick who made the comment about the Game Developers Conference and how the developers dont act professionally.

Great and funny show guys!

this podcast could've been called thorban friskytenuki cheapyd and wombats podcast. it is as if they've bribed cheapyD, so they can be mentioned every week due to their mediocerly average questions. (they're basically attention freaks, also known as narcissistic people). my conspiracy may be correct, because Ive been listning to alot of shows lately (since the cagcast is pretty irrelevant) and it is obvious that something is going on between cheapyd, frisky and thorbahn..

Another CagCast, another half-baked on its best day overthought and underdeveloped Wombat anti-Sony thesis. Netflix is overpricing *one* format, surely a slender margin of its overall mailings, in order to kill off Blu-Ray as a format?

Preposterous at best, and immature logic no matter the case.

DVDs are sent in the mail too, you know. At least in the continuous 48 states, they are. How do your dvds come in the mail? So if they increased rates for all users it might make sense (if we ignore how dreadful the streaming selection is) - but for a tiny percentage of Netflix users? I don't pay extra for Blu-Rays, so my rates haven't changed. They're still mailing stuff to me.

Moreover, to argue that Netflix wants to go full streaming, you have to make the case that their streaming offerings right now can even begin to compensate for their disc offerings. With the scant selection they have, it's actually beyond preposterous to think that this is their diabolical scheme. I can get "Heroes," "Superbad," "Rockabilly Vampire," "Dumpster Baby," "Hell's Bloody Devils," and "Spies Like Us." Their streaming offering shows a lot of promise, but it certainly won't satisfy consumer demands for hits and new releases.

It's quite amusing how you continually manage to identify these absurd logical chasms in your mind, and that they seem to perpetually deal with Sony.

My only concern is a suggestion to you: folks listen to the CagCast, and you are a person who has influence over other people's opinions. Take that responsibly, and simply think for a minute before you open your mouth in the future.

[quote name='mykevermin']Another CagCast, another half-baked on its best day overthought and underdeveloped Wombat anti-Sony thesis. Netflix is overpricing *one* format, surely a slender margin of its overall mailings, in order to kill off Blu-Ray as a format?

Preposterous at best, and immature logic no matter the case.

DVDs are sent in the mail too, you know. At least in the continuous 48 states, they are. How do your dvds come in the mail? So if they increased rates for all users it might make sense (if we ignore how dreadful the streaming selection is) - but for a tiny percentage of Netflix users? I don't pay extra for Blu-Rays, so my rates haven't changed. They're still mailing stuff to me.

Moreover, to argue that Netflix wants to go full streaming, you have to make the case that their streaming offerings right now can even begin to compensate for their disc offerings. With the scant selection they have, it's actually beyond preposterous to think that this is their diabolical scheme. I can get "Heroes," "Superbad," "Rockabilly Vampire," "Dumpster Baby," "Hell's Bloody Devils," and "Spies Like Us." Their streaming offering shows a lot of promise, but it certainly won't satisfy consumer demands for hits and new releases.

It's quite amusing how you continually manage to identify these absurd logical chasms in your mind, and that they seem to perpetually deal with Sony.

My only concern is a suggestion to you: folks listen to the CagCast, and you are a person who has influence over other people's opinions. Take that responsibly, and simply think for a minute before you open your mouth in the future.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't that Cheapy's theory, I don't recall saying that?

Great show!

Cheapy, after discovering and loving Dark Sector, do you think that you will be encouraged to search for other underrated and now cheap games that you may have overlooked in the past?

[quote name='erikj1508']this podcast could've been called thorban friskytenuki cheapyd and wombats podcast. it is as if they've bribed cheapyD, so they can be mentioned every week due to their mediocerly average questions. (they're basically attention freaks, also known as narcissistic people). my conspiracy may be correct, because Ive been listning to alot of shows lately (since the cagcast is pretty irrelevant) and it is obvious that something is going on between cheapyd, frisky and thorbahn..[/quote]

The CAGcast is irrelevant? You've been listening to other shows lately? Then why continue listening to this particular show? Admit it, you just can't get enough. :cool:

[quote name='Ryvvn']Hey guys, love the show but I humbly request that you stop using the "where to better spend money on" argument.[/QUOTE]

I totally disagree. It is especially relevant for a site about getting the most value for the money. Plus, it's entertaining and creates unique comparisons.

What was the problem you had with the X4's and Dark Sector? I recently picked up a pair and have had some odd 'popping' in games. Specifically during load explosions, it sounds like it just pops and/or cuts out. It's very prevalent in the new Tomb Raider, and in the last part of Gears of War 2 when you are riding the Brumak (the bigass monster with guns).

I recently started listening to the CAG Cast, and I'm really enjoying it.

I just have one thing to say about the DLC issue... the site is called "Cheap Ass Gamer". So everyone should just stop complaining that CheapyD is.... well, cheap! We pretty much all are!

Cheapy your question to Wombat asking him if the lady in the Wendy's line was an African American woman really rubbed me the wrong way. This is your show and you have the creative freedom to insinuate what like and make statements that add "color" to your commentary but as an African American listener I was offended. The economy is bad for everyone, and your statement was out right f*cked up. Wombat you did a very tackful job of not getting sucked into Cheapy's bullsh*t. I'm a fairly new listener to the CAGcast and I've enjoyed the past few episodes but after hearing that comment I had to turn off the podcast. I'm sorry but you all just lost a listener and Cheapy you lost my respect.

Today's CAGCast made my fair normal day pretty good. Or, it may have been the wine I was drinking while listening to the 'cast. ;)

All in all, I enjoyed the show, excepting what I've already Twittered to Wombat. Though, I must add, Wombat, in order to avoid having to deal with people in line, 2 words: drive thru (it looks really funny with "through" spelled correctly). Also, "She likes to smack it because it makes a funny noise," is not something I'd expect a father to say about his daughter. :D

Regarding sex/sexiness in games, they never have hot guys in games for me. But for the girls, it seems that as the Final Fantasy series has gone on, the female characters have bigger and bigger breasts. I had a roommate who actually played games like Final Fantasy X-2 because it featured all the girls. Of course, it may be a Japan thing...
There was also that recent-ish game, Bikini Samurai Squad (or something like that). I think it was trying to capitalize on the young male market. \

/tk

man cheapy and wombat are pretty damn racist. why would someone wait in line only to beg someone to get them a sandwhich? just cause she said what she said doesnt mean she wanted you to buy her one. thats just like if a guy is standing next to you and says " man i havent had in action in months dude i just gotta get laid" does that mean he wants soem of your man meat? no.

that said the whole infected africans with shields and spears was kind of a wow that is kinda racist moment especilly since none of the infected in re 4 had sombreros and whispy mustaches. not to mention why is it so many africans had bottles as weapons?

the game is ok but its not surprising that ti went this way. as i recall they did the same 180 with the dino crisis series. the first was more survival horror and then they changed the second game into an action game.

Cheapy, I'm disappointed, I suggested Dark Sector, you really like it, then you don't even mention me (if you were gonna get it anyway, I'm gonna feel like a dick lol).

Another great show. I have to agree with Cheapy about BioShock 2. I recently read the Game Informer article about it, and it gave me a mixture of excitement and dread. I think that playing as a Big Daddy is somewhat of a cop out rather than creating a new story about someone finding Rapture. I'll save my judgement until I play it, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I too have been contemplating picking up Dark Sector since it is so cheap. I played the demo and I thought it was alright, and for $10 what do I have to loose ($10 I guess)? Cheapy, you should come up with some sort of Cheap Ass Seal of Approval and you can contact game companies to have them put it on their games when they reach a good price for us CAGs.

Good show cheap asses. the Donner Superman II ending sucked *SPOILER*, rewinding time was already done in part 1, and why the fock would he let Zod live after killing him? The movie definitely didn't hold up over time. That franchise needs another reboot.

[quote name='mrfreeziexp']http://kotaku.com/5202917/rumor-resident-evil-5s-versus-mode-was-yes-on-the-disc-all-along

Wombat was right, RE5 multiplayer is on the disc. fuck you, Capcom.[/quote]

Actually that doesn't mean anything. You cannot guarantee what that 1.8 MB contains, so you shouldn't jump to conclusions. I have not purchased the content so I do not know if it adds any new assets, but if all they need to do is update the code, then 1.8 MB is a reasonable size for more lines of code. I am not defending their choice to sell a versus mode—I am against it—but we cannot simply assume they are guilty.

Anyway, you are a bastard, Cheapy. I played the demo of Dark Sector and I did not like it that much, but from the way you were talking about it I got curious in playing it again. I mean nine dollars is really cheap, but I have already spent more than enough money this month. Agh! Don't tempt me! But it's only nine dollars; plus free shipping at Newegg!

On the other hand, I have to buy Penny Arcade Episode 1 at ten dollars—rather I just did not that long ago. I enjoyed the demo, but ten dollars is the price this game should have been when it was released.

I've been a fan of the CAGcast for a long time, but this episode....

It was the Fish sandwich story. Why did Cheapy all of the sudden assume the woman was black? You've made jokes about black people in the past that all came off as just jokes, but this was a bit more unsettling. Never thought this before,but I think Cheapy actually doesn't like black people. This is extremely disappointing because, as a black man, I just can't listen to this anymore.

kanyewest.gif

Wow, clever. Too bad you can never get any serious discussion on the internet. It's all just "hilarious" pictures.

[quote name='Thwip']Wow, clever. Too bad you can never get any serious discussion on the internet. It's all just "hilarious" pictures.[/QUOTE]

Come on, not even a smile from that picture? :grouphug:

[quote name='Razzuel']Actually that doesn't mean anything. You cannot guarantee what that 1.8 MB contains, so you shouldn't jump to conclusions. I have not purchased the content so I do not know if it adds any new assets, but if all they need to do is update the code, then 1.8 MB is a reasonable size for more lines of code. I am not defending their choice to sell a versus mode—I am against it—but we cannot simply assume they are guilty.

Anyway, you are a bastard, Cheapy. I played the demo of Dark Sector and I did not like it that much, but from the way you were talking about it I got curious in playing it again. I mean nine dollars is really cheap, but I have already spent more than enough money this month. Agh! Don't tempt me! But it's only nine dollars; plus free shipping at Newegg!

On the other hand, I have to buy Penny Arcade Episode 1 at ten dollars—rather I just did not that long ago. I enjoyed the demo, but ten dollars is the price this game should have been when it was released.[/quote]

Lol, an entire multiplayer mode can NOT be only 1.8mb..... without, at the very least, some content already on the disc.

[quote name='Thwip']Wow, clever. Too bad you can never get any serious discussion on the internet. It's all just "hilarious" pictures.[/quote]
Are you trying to start up a "discussion" about accusing people of being racist?

I'll take a picture over that "discussion."

[quote name='DarkZion']Are you trying to start up a "discussion" about accusing people of being racist?

I'll take a picture over that "discussion."[/QUOTE]

You're right. Ignore and move on. Thats the solution.

I think I see who the real audience for this show is.

[quote name='Thwip']I've been a fan of the CAGcast for a long time, but this episode....

It was the Fish sandwich story. Why did Cheapy all of the sudden assume the woman was black? You've made jokes about black people in the past that all came off as just jokes, but this was a bit more unsettling. Never thought this before,but I think Cheapy actually doesn't like black people. This is extremely disappointing because, as a black man, I just can't listen to this anymore.[/quote]

Douchebag of the Year award includes a race section, Cheapy is going for a sweep in all categories.

Just kidding, and so was Cheapy. He's not serious. Think about it, he's married to a minority, I don't think he cares about race... >_>

Oh, that's the other thing I wanted to touch on. I think that Heather Chaplain character was way too extreme in what she said, but I think she has the right idea. For example, not all books, movies, and music are fun. Those mediums can induce a lot of other types of emotions. What I think she meant to say is that most game developers are not able to induce some of those complex and abstract emotions.

Some games do cause these emotions, but not for everyone since everyone reacts differently. Ico and Shadow of the Colossus come to mind as some of the best examples of offering these emotions. However, I recently played The Path, which was created by Tale of Tales. I really love The Path, but I did not have fun playing the game; there wasn't a point where I enjoyed the game. However, I appreciated and loved the game because it really induces unsettling feelings; some points even freaked me out. Also the game is really based on your interpretations and those interpretations touched on mature themes that other games never even come close to.

[quote name='Thwip']You're right. Ignore and move on. Thats the solution.

I think I see who the real audience for this show is.[/quote]
Never mind, I was taken completely out of context.

[quote name='DarkZion']Why is it that anytime someone screams racist, and someone just says that they want to move on to stop a massive flame war, that person is deemed a racist too? Oh, it must be because some people are ignorant and believe that an apology is owed to them because the word "black" was used.[/QUOTE]

The thing is, I never deemed you a racist. You just assumed that all on your own. All I meant was that the audience for the show doesn't want to think about those issues. To be fair I was only calling you juvenile, not racist.

Your assumption may be a bit telling though.

Great show as always, guys.

First, I think it goes mentioning how much of a steal Namco Virtual Arcade is from the GameDays sale going on. Now, $15 gets you the entire compilation that also includes all(?) of the stuff they released on XBLA. That includes the mentioned Pac-Man: CE, which is $10 (800 MS Points) through Marketplace. So for an extra $5, not only do you get Pac-Man: CE, you get the awesome Galaga Legions and Mr. Driller Online along with a metric assload of classic games. It's an incredible deal.

Secondly, I decided to pick up Dark Sector after work tonight for $10 at GS, sealed. Figured it would be worth it just to see what it's like. Thanks for the recommendation, Cheapy!

As for CAGcast Live, perhaps the next one could be when you both attend E3 this year? Since you'll both be in the same area for the event, would it be easier for you guys to pull off a live show there? Granted, I could understand that you guys could be drained after a day walking the floor there and such. Just thought I would drop that and see what you guys thought.

Keep up the good work, fellas!

Reggie's first comment basically says that the game is so great that they want to keep it forever, but he then goes on to say that theres no market for used games or other used goods.

No market for used books? That guy definitely never went to college. Most students who need to buy books for class do whatever they can to get the cheapest books possible, even if they're used.

Dang Cheapy, I was hoping you would tell us how to get in E3 but you stopped once you heard the guy was only 15. I'd love to go, but I'm not flying all the way out to L.A. to get denied at the door!

I've been hit up for money by a man inside a Burger King in downtown Houston.

He was black.

1. Dark Sector sucks.
2. Fish sandwiches from anywhere suck.
3. Updates are good even if they take a long time to install.
4. Penny Arcade Episode One is awesome and worth 10 bucks.
5. Wombat, don't be so reactionary to Cheapy D. You are your own man... I think. Also, dump the Mac. No self-respecting gamer owns one. HAHAHAHA!

[quote name='Wombat']Wasn't that Cheapy's theory, I don't recall saying that?[/QUOTE]

Bollocks. I'm not going to listen to two hours again. But if you're right, you get to see me admit I put my foot in my mouth. That's worth the effort, right?

[quote name='mrfreeziexp']http://kotaku.com/5202917/rumor-resident-evil-5s-versus-mode-was-yes-on-the-disc-all-along

Wombat was right, RE5 multiplayer is on the disc. fuck you, Capcom.[/QUOTE]

This is shocking because why? The SFIV $20 costume DLC was an unlock key as well.

bread's done
Back