CAGcast #160: You're Gonna Love My CAGcast

raumati-south-kapiti-island_17825.jpg

It's alright. :) There's prettier pictures of NZ online than this one of Kapiti Island, but it's somewhere I've actually visited.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MSUHitman']I'm just basing my opinion on what I know. My Gamestop has sold over 100 copies (preorders plus walkins,) 1/2 of my friends list (full 100) is playing it and even people who buy 1-2 games per year (my RLF's with 360's who don't have XBL Gold) have bought it. Many BB's have sold out of it (just ask CAG Matt Young about his odyssey to find the game.)

Don't be surprised when it sells 1 million units this month between the two versions. The game isn't for everyone as it's a slower, sim style of game. But if you like MMA, you're going to like this game. It's not perfect, but it's a damn good game that's 4 years in the making.[/QUOTE]

Why would anybody be surprised/offended that the UFC game sold so much? MMA is the fastest growing sport in the world right now, with constant exposure on cable TV.

So, Cheapy about that free steak dinner... There should be no shame in going to see the Pets game. The publisher knows no one really wants to be there to hear about their game. Thats why they have the free steak dinner! Do it!

Hey Shipwreck, we need an entry for Neo-Geo AES games for the game collection database. I know there is very few of us in the world but hey its a great system. P.S. Neo-Geo CD sucks.

Update,

The Peter Cetera song "Glory of Love" is kick a$#.

This is the first time I've ever turned the CAGcast off partway through simply because of what was being said. Cheapy, your response to a fan's request for better E3 coverage felt like a slap in the face to all of your listeners. It made me wonder if you even understand the true appeal of your show.

I can't speak for everyone, but I personally listen to the CAGcast because you and Wombat are funny guys with interesting perspectives on videogames that I like to hear before making my purchasing decisions. Yet, your reaction to fans asking for more E3 coverage is: "Expect little, I plan to get high and grab some blue ass." That's kind of disappointing.

Granted, your lackadaisical attitude is also part of your appeal, but people listen to your show because they care about what you and Wombat think. Every year the community waits to hear your feedback from E3 and every year all we get is an E3-centric recap episode of the CAGcast days after the fact.

Where's the love for the community that helps support your livelihood?

[quote name='JoeX111']This is the first time I've ever turned the CAGcast off partway through simply because of what was being said. Cheapy, your response to a fan's request for better E3 coverage felt like a slap in the face to all of your listeners. It made me wonder if you even understand the true appeal of your show.

I can't speak for everyone, but I personally listen to the CAGcast because you and Wombat are funny guys with interesting perspectives on videogames that I like to hear before making my purchasing decisions. Yet, your reaction to fans asking for more E3 coverage is: "Expect little, I plan to get high and grab some blue ass." That's kind of disappointing.

Granted, your lackadaisical attitude is also part of your appeal, but people listen to your show because they care about what you and Wombat think. Every year the community waits to hear your feedback from E3 and every year all we get is an E3-centric recap episode of the CAGcast days after the fact.

Where's the love for the community that helps support your livelihood?[/QUOTE]
I don’t think he is being disrespectful at all . There is so many venues to gain E3 coverage even without Cheapy’s input, it’s staggering. I think the love for his community is the fact that he maintains a great site to help us find great deals . I'm personally happy he wants to just have fun and go with the flow . I've been to three E3's and the most enjoyble ones were when I was just in chill mode . All I really want as far as coverage from Cheapy is a couple of good, funny stories from E3 .

Actually I take back what I said about your wedding cost being ridiculous, it seems like the average cost of a wedding in 2008 was $28,000. So given the average weddings are usually I guess its not that crazy for them to be 10,000, I just wonder why people spend that much money on something that really does not matter when there are more important things to spend or save money for. If you love someone more because they spent enough for a nice new car (the 28,000 people) then I don't really even know if some of these people love each other, or just the money they throw at each other.

*edit:mad:above post- I agree with you, CAG isn't a game review site. A few good stories would be fine, and we will get their feedback from E3, its not like they can't walk the floor and see whats going on so they will get to view and try out most of the stuff anyways. They just won't go into most of the closed doors presentations, and even if they did they wouldn't be able to talk about it anyways. It is also not really that important if they get interviews with people if it is that much of a hastle to deal with people.

Damn you Cheapy. Not two minutes into the show and I had write about how stuck that song is in my head. I'm sure I'll have more to say once I listened to the rest of the show. Damn it that song is haunting me. I watched the YouTube video and listen to the song three times already yet I want to hear it again! Damn you Cheapy!!!!

Cheapy your dad hurt Wombat's feelings... now of course, it'd be nice for your dad to apologize, (although he doesn't have to) however just to show Wombat that there aren't any hard feelings and that you do APPRECIATE his service to CAG (and we all can admit he's been a big Contributor to CAG) I think you should pay for his ticket to PAX 09' Let Wombat go to PAX and represent CAG. The CAG website will always get plenty of hits, however its the CAGcast that really makes CAG into a community and not just another techdeals, or slickdeals type site.

Cheapy from the last show, I wanted to mention that, I think that you need to make another open letter - this time to Sony. Their downloads are too slow, and because of the slow downloads, my valentine's day was ruined. It took almost a day and a half to download one HD movie (rental). So basically me and my wife couldn't even have a nice movie watching night on Valentine's Day... and to make things worse, I didn't even get any that night... Sony really fucked up my night, so definitely talk as much trash as you want reference their slow ass downloads. I'd like to nominate PSN as the worst online retailer right NOW. Don't even worry about the nomination phase for this category, just put them (PSN) straight into the voting category (slot).

not since Corey Feldman have two talentless jews captivated me as much as you guys. I look forward to the 1 and a half hour quasi-gaming podcast every week. a great listen every week, i enjoy the interaction between the Cheapy's deep strip club DJ voice and Wombat's 12 year old prepubescent boy voice, a great contrast. Keep up the good work, hopefully you guys make the podcat longer, like 3-12 hours a session.

I seriously think Microsoft has been supporting Cheapy in some form, why else would he want to put so much hate on PS3 titles. In this episode, Cheapy's comments on Killzone 2 only made me think that he has something against the title. Why Cheapy? do you think Killzone 2 should be a major hit ? are you somewhat dissatisfied that the title only made 600K plus copies ?

I still remember you guys were talking about how much fun you guys had when playing KZ2 multi player on game nights. SO why the sudden turn around?

[quote name='MSUHitman']Right there with you BlueSwim. I'm one of the two Zune owners in all of St. Louis and I'm always having to defend it. People think if it isn't an IPod it's crap.[/QUOTE]
You hit the nail on the head. A lot of Zune hate comes from iPod fanboys who probably haven't even used a Zune once. I can understand knocking a crappy product, but the Zune isn't one. It's not bullshit. Bashing the Zune now for being "bullshit" is like bashing the PS3 now because it only has two good games, it's an out-dated general consensus that no longer applies.

CheapyD talking about his hebrew school experiences? Priceless. Tell us more.

I used to ditch and buy candy at The Market Place (ancient convenience store). I had to be tutored for my Bar Mitzvah. I remember when one rabblerouser got in serious trouble for throwing a macaroon at one of the schoolbuses as it was leaving. The driver pulled over and layed into the kid. Those macaroons were like rocks. And they sold cornnuts at break. Yummers.

Wombat, did you ever get your hands on Sacred 2 for a console? Impressions?

BTW, I buy a lot based on your recommendations on the show. I consider you guys 'influential'.

[quote name='baboo']I seriously think Microsoft has been supporting Cheapy in some form, why else would he want to put so much hate on PS3 titles.[/QUOTE]

:roll:

Hey Cheapy,

I can TOTALLY relate to your Hebrew School story. I had an eerily similar experience (happened in regular school though). Same scenario, our teacher (music teacher) asked us all to bring in our favorite songs. I was young and stupid and brought in my Walt Disney World official album to play the Enchanted Tiki Room song. Well, as the teacher started going through everyone's tapes (announcing who brought it in before playing) all the songs turned out to be current, popular radio hits. Tape after tape I began to realize what I was going to be in for. To make matters worse, my cassette stood out from all the others because it was bright ORANGE.

Eventually aftear sweating it out my turn came but unlike your Hebrew School teacher, my music teacher played the ENTIRE song while all the other kids sat there laughing at me.

I don't think I've ever told anyone that story before, but it feels good some 20+ years later to finally get it off my chest.

ps - I think you should start a thread for everyone to share their Bar Mitzvah photos starting with you and Wombat... baroook atah adonoi!!!!!!

[quote name='baboo']I seriously think Microsoft has been supporting Cheapy in some form, why else would he want to put so much hate on PS3 titles. In this episode, Cheapy's comments on Killzone 2 only made me think that he has something against the title. Why Cheapy? do you think Killzone 2 should be a major hit ? are you somewhat dissatisfied that the title only made 600K plus copies ?

I still remember you guys were talking about how much fun you guys had when playing KZ2 multi player on game nights. SO why the sudden turn around?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the Wii bashing has been a constant on this show. I think hell will freeze over if Cheapy says one good thing about the Wii.

[quote name='dan13l858']Yeah, the Wii bashing has been a constant on this show. I think hell will freeze over if Cheapy says one good thing about the Wii.[/QUOTE]

We all have our favorites. This show wouldn't be worth listening to if these guys were smoothed over opinion free lackeys, afraid to disrupt the flow of freebies from the corporate teet.

There are great games on all three consoles. I doubt that either host would disagree. There are just fewer good titles for PS3 and Wii to talk about. I'm sure that a Metacritic roundup could confirm that.

Cheapy doesn't like the Wii because of the same reasons we don't like it, the lack of great games coming out on a consistent basis and the internet on it is total shit. You know he like Xbox Live and doesn't even like to game on PSN so why would he go to something where you need friend codes?

AND NO ianoid, if you were to look at metacritic for exclusives, i think the ps3 would definitely have the upper hand.

I saw this rediculous show called MANswers and they were explaining about the presidents shit being confiscated and shipped back to the US so the enemies can't analyze it and determine certain pharmecusticals or other abnormalities.

I think this story is alot more interesting/cool than Cheapy's bragging over fecies! Eat it Cheapy

Hmm, so we have 629 Xbox 360 games, with 238 with a metacritic of 75 or higher. That's a favorable percentage of 38%.

We have 337 PS3 games, with 150 with a metacritic score of 75 or higher. That's a favorable percentage of 44%.

The Wii has 403 reviews with only 83 over 75. That's a favorable percentage of 20%.

So I guess you're right by percentages, but then with 88 more favorable games to choose from, it's hard to consider the PS3 a hands down winner. I think I prefer a good selection to a better ratio.

Getting down to the exclusives is waaay beyond what I have time to dispute. And the last thing I need is to get at odds with a person who favors one system (colloquially referred to as a fanboy). I have all three systems, I play all three systems, and I like all three systems, except for the Wii. Actually, the PS3 is easily the best piece of hardware of the bunch. Doesn't mean it's right for me as often as the 360 is when I sit down to game.

Just a quick point on the whole stocks issue, I actually think, as an influential pundit on the video game industry, it's your ethical duty to disclose your financial investments that could be a conflict of interest. In other words, your dad is completely off-base in my opinion.

As aside, I founded a CAG Stock Market group that's very active so the whole notion that CAG's are not financially sophisticated is quite false.

I've bought a couple games because you guys pimped them on the show. I bought Saint's Row 2 because Cheapy kept talking about it. I had a lot of fun with it.

Cheapy, you should have gotten your ass kicked for playing such a lame ass song.

Ok Cheapy... So I'm driving to my friends house for our weekly gaming session... listening to the CAGcast. It ends and Glory of Love comes on... so at first I'm thinking "wow... how gay must Cheapy have felt when this started playing in class. The next thing I know, i'm driving on I-287 fuckING BELTING OUT THE SONG at the top of my lungs. I have to say, I really liked that song and I think it's still a great song... I just think it was probably the wrong song for that situation.

Love the site, love the show,
Chris

LOL Cheapy, thank you for at least humoring me and reading my CAGBag question on the show. I was pleasantly surprised that you picked it up since you already addressed the issue of E3 coverage last show including Wombat's decision to not go. To me this is you listening to your fans even if they have crazy ideas so thanks.

While my dream of a CAGCrew @E3 may be just that a dream I still hope you have a lot of fun at E3. I can appreciate how your time is limited and how hard it is to leave family behind; I went to NY for 2 days leaving my wife and son behind and that was hard enough so I can only imagine what it will be like to be away for a week. Be sure to treat your wife to something nice from LA when you get back, I got some Versace perfume and it did the trick!

Great show again. It makes the 130 mile round trip drive a soothing ride. And my question got answered this week, which made it even better.

[quote name='BlueSwim']You hit the nail on the head. A lot of Zune hate comes from iPod fanboys who probably haven't even used a Zune once. I can understand knocking a crappy product, but the Zune isn't one. It's not bullshit. Bashing the Zune now for being "bullshit" is like bashing the PS3 now because it only has two good games, it's an out-dated general consensus that no longer applies.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I also own a Zune and love it. It's the best iPod alternative, and it is insanely durable to boot. I can't tell you how many times I've dropped it with the headphones in and it still works fine. It was also submerged in water for a few seconds one time. Still works perfectly.

I also love my Zune, but the software is terrible. I prefer iTunes in that regard, but I dig the Zune device.

I love "Glory of Love" as well. Cheapy, you are no pussy for liking that song. If that were me, though, I would have brought my first tape that I owned, the cassette single of "On Our Own" by Bobby Brown, from Ghostbusters 2. Now that was a great song.

No new CagCast this week? What's the deal? I know that you say that it's just something that you do in your free time, but the CagCast is really the reason that I come to this site, and I'm sure that I'm not the only one. I participate in the forums a bit, but I think that the real glue that holds everyone here together is the 'cast and the personalities of Cheapy and Wombat. When you slack off this much (seems like every other week we're missing a CagCast), I get disinterested in CAG real quick. I can't be the only one that feels this way...

Just got around to listening to this show last night. Entertaining, as always.

A couple thoughts on what you should do for your E3 coverage:

1. Do a nightly podcast wrapping up the highlights of the day. Doesn't need to be long or properly edited, just 15 minutes or so briefly covering the day. Joystiq did this with their GDC coverage and I thought it worked well, except that they tried to be funny and weren't which kind of ruined it. But the idea is good.

2. You gotta take the Pet Pals steak dinner. That right there has the potential to be the best story of E3 from CAG. Most people come here more for the entertainment than the game news coverage, plenty of sites give games more than enough coverage. But who could do a better steak dinner from Pet Pals story better than CAG? No one.

bread's done
Back