CAGcast #167: No Receipt, No Returns, No Brains

So clearly, when every single fucking game that was on sale during the Summer PSN Sale had a demo, none of them that Strife2004?? was interested in had a demo.

It's fine if you wanna pay 50 bucks for extra features, but at least boast about features that are actually exclusive instead of talking out of your ass. Might as well sell your PS3 back to the store.

That's great, shows that you can really navigate through menus. Beause the NXBE is so much easier to navigate and isn't clustered with crap left and right?

I'm listening to this as I fall asleep, I don't need to be pissed off by MS fanboys spewing out random lies. Cheapy, Wombat, please fact check the topics you're gonna talk about beforehand. The Gears map pack confusion too... at least attempt to be reliable.

[quote name='aknowlesjr']i want to start an internet petition to demand more CagCast. anyone with me??? (crickets) Damn![/QUOTE]
I think the usual once a week CAGcast is fine. If they did a CAGcast every three days, they would end up shorter in length as well as lacking in quality (there's only so much you can talk about every three days opposed to a whole week).

Thought it was a great CAGcast as well, though the coverage of the Gears 2 map pack really irritated me, mainly cause I thought the info was perfectly clear (All Fronts = new pack + old packs for 20 bucks. Dark Corners = new pack only for 15 bucks). The whole thing is pretty much a big fuck you to anyone who ordered the old map packs, since you can get both of the old ones for 5 bucks if you get the All Fronts pack.

Hey guys,

Been listening to the show for awhile now, but I've never responded...so I hope this is the right place. Anyway, Wombat brought up the question of people putting covers up on the Rock Band network...being a music business major, I figure I'd give my two cents:
You actually don't need consent to cover anyone's song. As long as you pay the royalties to the copyright holders and do not change anything in the song to make it have a different message, you are granted a "Compulsory Cover License." This doesn't mean that Harmonix, or Microsoft...whoever's in control has to allow it, but it's not as if covering the song itself illegal.
The difference would be sampling. While you can reproduce the song by your own labor, you cannot take anything from the original sound recording.

The better question is...who's going to be buying these tracks? If you're not already a fan of the band, then why would you buy it? This isn't exactly an easy way to discover new music.

Thanks,
gonzoglitch

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']So clearly, when every single fucking game that was on sale during the Summer PSN Sale had a demo, none of them that Strife2004?? was interested in had a demo.

It's fine if you wanna pay 50 bucks for extra features, but at least boast about features that are actually exclusive instead of talking out of your ass. Might as well sell your PS3 back to the store.

That's great, shows that you can really navigate through menus. Beause the NXBE is so much easier to navigate and isn't clustered with crap left and right?

I'm listening to this as I fall asleep, I don't need to be pissed off by MS fanboys spewing out random lies. Cheapy, Wombat, please fact check the topics you're gonna talk about beforehand. The Gears map pack confusion too... at least attempt to be reliable.[/QUOTE]

sorry to keep you awake with our obvious and intentional fanboy rants, next time we will open the show with how much the PS3 sucks and its owners are losers, as to get out the way before your bedtime.

Sound good?

[quote name='Wombat']sorry to keep you awake with our obvious and intentional fanboy rants, next time we will open the show with how much the PS3 sucks and its owners are losers, as to get out the way before your bedtime.

Sound good?[/QUOTE]

wonder_woman.jpg

Great show guys. I haven't played Prototype yet but when I get it in from Goozex I'll have to see for myself how douchy the main guy is. You think its still worth getting and playing the Hulk? Everyone says that Prototype is alot like it but I never got around to trying it out.

[quote name='Wombat']sorry to keep you awake with our obvious and intentional fanboy rants, next time we will open the show with how much the PS3 sucks and its owners are losers, as to get out the way before your bedtime.

Sound good?[/QUOTE]

I wasn't calling you or Cheapy a fanboy (sadly, not everything is about you, good or bad), nor do I care that it's PS3. You're entitled to your system preference; in this case I'm was calling Strife a dumbass, but sure, you can take up his argument for him.

I'm just not a big fan of blatant lies getting on the air, then being passed as fact. Sorry if that makes me a kid. I'll be sure to quit my job and ignore my family obligations so I can listen to the podcast "before my bedtime" in the future.

Thanks Wombat. You're a dad, act more like one. No need for these juvenile insults.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']I wasn't calling you or Cheapy a fanboy (sadly, not everything is about you, good or bad), nor do I care that it's PS3. You're entitled to your system preference; in this case I'm was calling Strife a dumbass, but sure, you can take up his argument for him.

I'm just not a big fan of blatant lies getting on the air, then being passed as fact. Sorry if that makes me a kid. I'll be sure to quit my job and ignore my family obligations so I can listen to the podcast "before my bedtime" in the future.

Thanks Wombat. You're a dad, act more like one. No need for these juvenile insults.[/QUOTE]

We have never blatently lied on our show, ever. We may get some information wrong, but it is never a lie, just a mistake. If you feel that we intentionally misinform our listeners at any point I would be happier of you stopped listening to my show.

[quote name='Wombat']We have never blatently lied on our show, ever. We may get some information wrong, but it is never a lie, just a mistake. If you feel that we intentionally misinform our listeners at any point I would be happier of you stopped listening to my show.[/QUOTE]

Again, I never said it was intentional. I suggested that you two fact check before airing; this rant was more targeted toward Strife. Just clarifying the misinformation or something similar on a future podcast would have been enough on your end.

It doesn't take very long to log onto PSN and check to see the demos there. I doubt you're gonna argue there aren't people out there who talk shit out of their asses just because they can. There is no credibility to anything people say on the internet unless it's backed up; just don't believe everything people say as if they were true.

Even if the misinformation wasn't intentional, it doesn't mean these things should slide. I've been listening for 2 years and I don't plan on stopping unless it really goes down the shit hole.

[quote name='Wombat'].....t I would be happier of you stopped listening to my show.[/QUOTE]

And last time I checked, it was both of your guys' show.

Prinny, I wouldn't bother. Wombat has the thinnest skin around.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Again, I never said it was intentional. I suggested that you two fact check before airing; this rant was more targeted toward Strife. Just clarifying the misinformation or something similar on a future podcast would have been enough on your end.

Even if the misinformation wasn't intentional, it doesn't mean these things should slide. I've been listening for 2 years and I don't plan on stopping unless it really goes down the shit hole.[/QUOTE]

Well we do discuss shit and holes too often so its only a matter of time ;), Usickenme is right I am too thin-skinned

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']So clearly, when every single fucking game that was on sale during the Summer PSN Sale had a demo, none of them that Strife2004?? was interested in had a demo.[/QUOTE]

Not every PSN has a demo because Sony, unlike MS, don't require it.

Stop being a whiny douche.

[quote name='Wombat']Well we do discuss shit and holes too often so its only a matter of time ;), Usickenme is right I am too thin-skinned[/QUOTE]

on the positive side, that's also what make you endearing.

[quote name='Curufinwe']Not every PSN has a demo because Sony, unlike MS, don't require it.

Stop being a whiny douche.[/QUOTE]

Since when did calling people out when they're wrong being whiny? Clearly you don't give a damn cause you're not on a show, but as hosts they really do have a responsibility to be as accurate as possible. Believe it or not.

I'm sorry for holding them to higher standards.

The games that are worth playing have demos. Even then, it doesn't matter what platform it is, I don't need demos to tell me I won't like the game, or that it's crap for that matter.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']The games that are worth playing have demos. Even then, it doesn't matter what platform it is, I don't need demos to tell me I won't like the game, or that it's crap for that matter.[/QUOTE]

This is priceless. :lol:

You really need to get over the fact that every game having a demo is objectively better than only some games having a demo. It's cool that you have a special power that lets you know how a game plays without actually playing it, but most people are not so fortunate. :roll:

Great show guys. Glad you liked Watchmen, Cheapy, finally a movie we can agree on, now if only you would say the same about latest Indiana Jones movie...

Great story Wombat, I hate it when stupid retail employees are slow and don't know their stores' own policy. I would have pitched a fit, got my refund, spoke with another manager to the tune of "I spend several thousand dollars here a year, my family and I are taking my business elsewhere."

[quote name='Curufinwe']This is priceless. :lol:

You really need to get over the fact that every game having a demo is objectively better than only some games having a demo. It's cool that you have a special power that lets you know how a game plays without actually playing it, but most people are not so fortunate. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Half the games on XBL and PSN are flash and shockwave games ported over. So no, I don't need a demo to tell me I'm not gonna buy them. Original IPs all have demos.

All games having demos is definitely better than some. I'm not gonna argue that. To me, that's not worth 50 bucks a year. To each his own.

It's fine, no more suggestions on how the show could be better. Enjoy listening.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Again, I never said it was intentional. I suggested that you two fact check before airing; this rant was more targeted toward Strife. Just clarifying the misinformation or something similar on a future podcast would have been enough on your end.

It doesn't take very long to log onto PSN and check to see the demos there. I doubt you're gonna argue there aren't people out there who talk shit out of their asses just because they can. There is no credibility to anything people say on the internet unless it's backed up; just don't believe everything people say as if they were true.

Even if the misinformation wasn't intentional, it doesn't mean these things should slide. I've been listening for 2 years and I don't plan on stopping unless it really goes down the shit hole.[/QUOTE]

LOL what I find funny about personal comments like this is the simple fact that you are talking about a podcast that has talked in the past about toilets, farts, baby puke and a various other bodily fluids. The CAG cast stands out from all the rest for being different from other podcasts.

So stand being a fanboy and chillout man.

@ PrinnyOtaku: How about you keep making suggestions, but refrain from calling the hosts "MS fanboys" and accusing them of "spewing out random lies"?

It would be a good point about XBL being worth the $$ because of demos on all XBLA games if that wasn't a feature for silver as well as gold accounts. You don't have to pay a dime to try the demos on XBLA.

And Wombat how is it that you haven't watched the Watchmen yet?

[quote name='Curufinwe']@ PrinnyOtaku: How about you keep making suggestions, but refrain from calling the hosts "MS fanboys" and accusing them of "spewing out random lies"?[/QUOTE]

Kinda confused why everyone keeps thinking the comments about fanboys were directed towards the hosts. The person who made the initial comment is the "fanboy" and the one with false information. Cheapy and Wombat just echoed him.

On the same note, when XBL had a sale for Ikaruga I wanted to buy it but the discount is only for Gold members. Am sad :cry:

Oh man I was right with Cheapy on thinking G-Force was Gatchaman when I first heard about it. Damn them! Somebody get me a 6-pack of lawyers!

I have to say about the whole demo deal on PSN, it would be nice if all games have demos, I'm sure it would give a lot of games a kick in the pants when it comes to sales. The only PSN game I've ever bought without a demo that I've regretted would have be the Locoroco one.

Oh can someone shut up Michael Practer? Don't care how often he's wrong or right, it just seems everytime he opens his mouth to say the bleeding obvious, the blogs all cover it like it's actual news.

Anyway, great show Wombat and Cheapy.

Wombat, if you REALLY don't wanna answers CAGbag questions, just say so. It's been 3 CAGcasts in a row where you either give Cheapy the hint to wrap it up or flat out say that you don't want to answer any more questions.

I know the CAGcast takes a lot outta you because you record late at night on the east cost, but if its such a problem then record at another time. Or maybe you are "social media'd out" from talking to so many CAGs on Twitter, Facebook, etc.

It's not very pleasant to hear you complaining about how you want to end the show immediately. Just sayin'.

[quote name='FecesBreath']Wombat, if you REALLY don't wanna answers CAGbag questions, just say so. It's been 3 CAGcasts in a row where you either give Cheapy the hint to wrap it up or flat out say that you don't want to answer any more questions.

I know the CAGcast takes a lot outta you because you record late at night on the east cost, but if its such a problem then record at another time. Or maybe you are "social media'd out" from talking to so many CAGs on Twitter, Facebook, etc.

It's not very pleasant to hear you complaining about how you want to end the show immediately. Just sayin'.[/QUOTE]

I love the cagbag, it really just a tired thing, I'm up at 5:30 am so by 10:30 my answers are basically just gibberish

The argument for not buying the Wii Motion Plus is stupid. Did you boycott Fable 2 because Peter Molyneux lied about what could happen in the game? Did you skip Metal Gear Solid 4 because Metal Gear Solid 2 was supposed to be Hideo Kojima's last Metal Gear Solid game? You should have skipped buying a PS3 and Wii entirely, after all, the controllers shown at E3 weren't the same as the final designs shipped to stores.

Even though I joined CAG quite a while ago, I just recently became more active, and even more recently started listening to the CAGcast. To be honest, I think some of you are missing the point of the show. If the CAGcast is where some of you get your "unbiased 100% totally correct reviews and industry information", then you need to wake up.

I love the show, and I know I won't agree with Cheapy and Wombat all the time, and I understand they (like the rest of us) might not be totally correct with every little tidbit of info. Show feedback is a place to come in and let them know about it...but the bitching is just stupid. Get a grip.

Anyhow, about the whole "being grumpy about the WiiMotion Plus being something that SHOULD have been in the Wiimote to begin with"...I agree that's kind of a silly reason for not buying it. A better reason is that the controls on the WiiMotion plus STILL don't make it fun.

I play a decent amount of golf in real life (about a 15-20 handicap), and I played some Tiger Woods 2010 on Wii - it's not even CLOSE to the real thing, so I don't get the point of trying to MAKE it like the real thing. You can't half-ass something like "realism". I don't blame the Wiimote or the Wiimotion plus though - it's the way VIDEO GAMES are played. They are VIDEO GAMES on a TV screen - they CANNOT duplicate a real life event. It's pointless to try...so companies should simply stick to making controls that make the game fun...they don't have to try and be "real". Some games CAN be fun on the Wii (Zelda and Mario Galaxy use it decent enough, in limited amounts)...but REALISM is not what the Wii or the Wiimote need.

I bought the PS3 Tiger, and after reading reviews I sold it to buy the Wii Tiger. After playing it for a couple of hours, I returned it and got the PS3 version again. It's 1000x more fun.

LEAVE Wii ALONNNEEEEEE!!!!! :cry:

Cheapy, if the Xbox had balls you'll be sucking on them ... oh wait Milo... you're going to be sucking on virtual balls soon lol

Since the Trixie interview Wombat has been acting like a Diva demanding new games for free :lol:

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']

Code:
       Sony            Nintendo          Microsoft            Total
Y/E 1998     $902,811,090   $1,023,333,867                      $1,926,144,957
Y/E 1999   $1,102,563,557   $1,301,350,000                      $2,403,913,557
Y/E 2000     $722,738,949   $1,368,207,547                      $2,090,946,497
Y/E 2001    -$449,776,290     $677,576,000                        $227,799,710
Y/E 2002     $629,101,056     $895,872,180   -$1,135,000,000      $389,973,237
Y/E 2003     $935,569,253     $834,333,333   -$1,191,000,000      $578,902,586
Y/E 2004     $627,195,212     $993,161,303   -$1,337,000,000      $283,356,515
Y/E 2005     $419,888,799   $1,056,056,202     -$539,000,000      $936,945,001
Y/E 2006      $69,129,058     $774,478,055   -$1,339,000,000     -$495,392,887
Y/E 2007  -$1,970,923,859   $1,914,666,388   -$1,969,000,000   -$2,025,257,471
Y/E 2008  -$1,079,994,103   $4,322,637,887      $426,000,000    $3,668,643,783
Y/E 2009    -$577,207,240   $5,691,428,301

Total                
       $1,331,095,482  $20,853,101,065   -$6,786,000,000   $15,101,104,710
[/QUOTE]

MSOFT can only report that $426m profit for '08 because of the $0.5bn write off for the RROD fiasco. In the real world they've never made a dime from the console business.

[quote name='BigBizzee']

I love the show, and I know I won't agree with Cheapy and Wombat all the time, and I understand they (like the rest of us) might not be totally correct with every little tidbit of info. Show feedback is a place to come in and let them know about it...but the bitching is just stupid. Get a grip.
[/QUOTE]

I love the show too, but it's often at its best when its not about videogames - naked pizza guy, giant bag of weed, etc. Cheapy and Wombay quite obviously had no idea what they were talking about with regard to the Gears map packs so who exactly was served by that conversation? If they couldn't be bothered to do the research then what is the point in the discussion. The audience, and more importantly the podcast itself, would have been far better served by a discussion about something else.

Really not sure why, this week's show seemed pretty low-energy. I ended up shutting it off about 20 minutes in, just couldn't dig, it was putting me to sleep.

Sorry.

/tk

It was worth listening to this Cagcast just to hear the McDonald's conversation lol. "There's actually juice coming out of it!" Oh wow...

Wombat you talked about how the old dashboard launched your game right when you turned on your 360. You can go into system settings and have it do that still.

[quote name='Mahoney07']Wombat you talked about how the old dashboard launched your game right when you turned on your 360. You can go into system settings and have it do that still.[/QUOTE]

On the show I was talking about the current dash, not the old one

Good show; however, Wombat and Cheapy both confused the hell out of me. First Cheapy was talking about how someone said that Madden 10 bundle was going to be released in a PSP Slim bundle. This makes perfect sense, but I feel as though Cheapy was mistaking the PSP Slim for a PSP Go? Why else would this be news?

Wombat's talk of the all fronts map pack even got me confused, best journalism on the web though, keep up the half ass work guys!!

Oh and as for Gwen her death was way better in the current Marvel Universe than the Ultimate Universe. Bitch did not last long at all in the Ultimate Universe....

About the Marvel movies,
Spider-man 3 sucked for a couple reasons. It felt like there was too much going on, too quickly. As much as the Gwen Stacy stuff Wombat mentioned annoyed me, emo Parker was the worst thing. It was so painful I felt embarassed as a Spider-man fan even watching it by myself.
I love the Iron Man movie and like it better than both the new Batman movies despite liking Batman as a character more than Iron Man.
I'm one of few that liked the first Hulk movie(up until weird ass stuff at the end), the new one was damn awesome. It's one of my favorite movies of the past couple of years. The hair on the back of my next stands up every time I hear him say "Hulk Smash" towards the end.

Oh yea, I agree that podcasts have taken the role of reviews for me. I don't look at reviews much at all outside of what I find here and Joystiq. I never check Metacritic. I listen to your impressions and other podcasts to get a more beneficial impression of the game. The only time I'll search out a review is for an older game.

Thanks CheapyD, I'm hooked on True Blood now.

[quote name='panurge']I love the show too, but it's often at its best when its not about videogames - naked pizza guy, giant bag of weed, etc. Cheapy and Wombay quite obviously had no idea what they were talking about with regard to the Gears map packs so who exactly was served by that conversation? If they couldn't be bothered to do the research then what is the point in the discussion. The audience, and more importantly the podcast itself, would have been far better served by a discussion about something else.[/QUOTE]

I can agree with that for sure...and I don't recall the exact conversation - but I don't believe they went into the conversation saying "we don't know a thing about this, but we're gonna talk about it" ;)

On top of that, sometimes just a little bit of info can get a listener interested in something, even if it requires googling "correct" info later on. I dunno...I do get what you're saying. I suppose it's the way some people come off when they criticize.

Regarding the marketing deal that keeps the demo at GameStop, I still don't see why it can only be offered at GameStop. It should have come out on PSN and XBL a week or two later to anyone else so that EA doesn't have to put time into making two separate demos that are completely different experiences, though MS paid for exclusivity on the shitty Madden demo so that it's only on XBL until next week. How many times has that been done before, usually by Sony or EA? Giving everyone else an awful 1 minute, 4 quarter demo does nothing to really help any decide if they want the game when you'd need a few playthroughs just to get an idea of whether it's enjoyable or not.

I'm also confused as to why Microsoft has only paid for exclusive sports game demos this summer (Bigs 2, Fight Night Round 4, and Madden 10) rather than games that would probably better values for the sales increase they'd provide. FNR4 barely sold more on the Xbox 360 than PS3, so it doesn't seem like it really offered much of a boost, if anything at all.

Good show.

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']Thanks for the shout out Wombat! Glad to hear you enjoyed the gift.

Both Metacritic and Gamerankings need to start recognizing podcast reviews as legit reviews. I honestly never read reviews anymore. When I want a review of a game I'll either ask someone who has played it, or I'll listen to podcasts I trust the opinion of, such as the CAGcast, to see if it's worth my time. Your reviews of Red Faction actually led to me buying the game! A written review hasn't had that effect on me in years!

I think Metacritic and Gamerankings' biggest deal with podcast reviews is that no score is given. Perhaps if take your reviews from the CAGcast, post them as additional mini-podcast reviews, assign a score, and provide a transcript you'll be recognized as a review. Of course it may take some time for those sites to recognize your reviews, but they've got to eventually.

Game journalism isn't what it used to be. With print publications dying, game journalism is evolving into a more convenient to-the-point way of reporting. What I'm saying is: Hey Metacritic and Gamerankings, get your shit together.[/QUOTE]
I seriously doubt that they have that many people working that they'd be able to handle the additional workload to listen to dozens of hours in podcasts, catalog whenever a "review" is done, and then have some way to either cut that part out of the show to attach it to the reviews page. You're never going to see them put that much effort into what is a very minimalist style of site, so it's up the podcasters to actually write down a review, whether as a transcript or an original piece of writing.

I do have to ask what actually makes up a "review" in a podcast because I really don't hear them often, if at all. I hear more roundtable talks of a particular game if they ever get all that specific to begin with. Then there are the times where chats include guys that already did the review for the site before the podcast, so they don't need an additional review for nothing. Only IGN gets that privilege. Nothing that really fits what a real review usually entails, so there's really nothing that MetaCritic or GameRankings really is obligated to do.

Basically, it's fine that you find more sources to get opinions on games than just reviews, but why should MetaCritic need to cover all of those extra opinions out there? If anything, somebody else would probably be better offer trying to build a site around the idea to show that it's a feasible idea rather than expecting those that are already doing it for written reviews to take on the extra workload.

[quote name='Wombat']On the show I was talking about the current dash, not the old one[/QUOTE]

You can make the current Dash do that like the old one did.

Thanks for the show guys. Not having the show for a week was giving me CAGcast withdrawl... :lol:

So, the cost for a complete Wiimote, with Nunchuck and extra gyroscope is $80? Ouch. Well there is one benefit of having all these pieces: when people are shopping for a Wii in a store, it reduces sticker shock. It would probably hurt the Wii's image of affordability if some schmuck was forced to buy all those parts in one lump cost.

Very happy that Wombat mentioned Kitchen Nightmares, but I must recommend catching the reruns of "Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares" on the BBC. Every time I see Ramsey on Fox, it alarms me that everything seems so staged, so forced. You'll see on the BBC version of Ramsey, while still swearing like a sailor, actually shows sympathy for most of these small restaurant owners and feels much more personable.

[quote name='tcolberg']
So, the cost for a complete Wiimote, with Nunchuck and extra gyroscope is $80? Ouch. Well there is one benefit of having all these pieces: when people are shopping for a Wii in a store, it reduces sticker shock. It would probably hurt the Wii's image of affordability if some schmuck was forced to buy all those parts in one lump cost.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it's a good thing the PS3 and 360 don't have that sort of problem.

PS3 - Good value but high initial price (I don't own one)
360 - Okay, you buy the $200 arcade. Want to play online? Buy 1 year of XBL for $50. Want a hard drive? $100. [etc.]

I used MSRP in my example, but don't claim it's not fair to use MSRP. You used MSRP with your example, but there are deals on controllers to be had.

@Wombat-- I was wondering if you use the term "meat cookie" often. You were describing the impossibly sized burgers you made when you used it. The reason I ask, my wife and I call hamburgers "meat cookies" to get my nearly 2 year-old to eat them. Anything associated with cookies is alright in her book.

bread's done
Back