CAGcast #167: No Receipt, No Returns, No Brains

Wombat, I saw your profile up on XBL last night. Congrats.

A few thoughts on the show:

- If they included motion plus out of the box for the Wii 3 years ago it would have increased the cost of the unit considerably, and created a steeper learning curve for developers.

How well would the Wii have done if it was 300 bucks and motion plus was too intimidating for soccer mom?

- Spidey 3 had so many problems, the biggest was cramming two villains into the movie at the expense of everything else. If we were supposed to feel sorry for Sandman and his being a victim of fate, it came across poorly in the movie.

XPlay had a funny bit a few years back about it. "C'mon! My kid was sick!"
http://g4tv.com/videos/16626/Sandman-The-Sand-Behind-The-Man/

- Finally saw Watchmen over the weekend and loved it. It does feel empty compared to the books but was a fun ride.

-ZJ

Hi, my name is Daniel, I am a game composer hence part of the industry. Big Cagcast fan. Just wanted to say, it is not "ridiculous" to prefer new games. Developers/Publishers are not involved when you buy a used game. You are buying from a consumer and a store, not from the people that are making the game. For ME, this is a huuuuge difference.

I do not say "Do this or that". But it is not "ridiculous", it is the noble, "good" choice. It is not ridiculous to play fair, to not cut lines, to not cheat. You can choose to do whatever you want! But please do not mock those who act pro game developer.

Let's say a developer works on the sequel to your fav game, that not many people were buying. Let's say they close down because of lack of sales. It's not "your job" to save the industry, but you would be angry I think.

I'd rather buy a game to support the creative minds behind it than buy it from a faceless chain, knowing that no cent goes to the makers of the game.

But that's my choice. But please do not say that is "ridiculous". :) I wouldn't really care, but YOU have an influence. Whenever I have an audience, I try to open the eyes about piracy and how it hurts, I know a lot of backstage stories about the damage it does, and so on. It's a matter of responsibility. No matter how you decide for yourself. I might drive drunk every day, but I wouldn't really say that on TV, would I? ;)

[quote name='sotc1988']I was getting fucking pissed just LISTENING to Wombat's Toys R Us story. I hate retail workers that act like that.[/QUOTE]

It got me mad too. It reminded me of the time that I was trying to get a price match on a Wavebird to a Circuit City ad (a five dollar difference) because I had a TRU gift card. The manager told me they don't price match everday low prices (it must have said that somewhere in the CC ad), they only price match sale prices. I couldn't beleive she would say something so stupid, but I kept my anger in check. Then I came back later and another manager okay'd it without a second thought.

I'm still not sure what exactly we are paying for in the xbl service. Whoever wrote into the Cagcast mentioned paying for demos. I'm not sure what that means since Silver members get demos for free, unless gold subscriptions were somehow subsidizing the demos for everyone. But think about that for a second, do you really want to pay for a demo, the very purpose of which is to sell you a game? Are you paying money to get advertised to? Is the reason that you pay for cable the commercials? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that Microsoft requires demos, but it's not something that you should pay for.

I think the only reason they still charge is because the competition on the consoles has been so incompetent on that front. Sony has more or less caught up, but the online community is already loyal to the 360 on the consoles, and Sony has a long road ahead to overcome its initial perception in the online community. Everybody always brings up cross game invites, is that really what you're paying $50 for? Where are the dedicated servers, or features like Steam cloud, that require real investment from Microsoft for that $50 a year?

On the PC Microsoft had to stop charging because the competition was offering everything and more for free.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='daniel pharos']Hi, my name is Daniel, I am a game composer hence part of the industry. Big Cagcast fan. Just wanted to say, it is not "ridiculous" to prefer new games. Developers/Publishers are not involved when you buy a used game. You are buying from a consumer and a store, not from the people that are making the game. For ME, this is a huuuuge difference.

I do not say "Do this or that". But it is not "ridiculous", it is the noble, "good" choice. It is not ridiculous to play fair, to not cut lines, to not cheat. You can choose to do whatever you want! But please do not mock those who act pro game developer.

Let's say a developer works on the sequel to your fav game, that not many people were buying. Let's say they close down because of lack of sales. It's not "your job" to save the industry, but you would be angry I think.

I'd rather buy a game to support the creative minds behind it than buy it from a faceless chain, knowing that no cent goes to the makers of the game.

But that's my choice. But please do not say that is "ridiculous". :) I wouldn't really care, but YOU have an influence. Whenever I have an audience, I try to open the eyes about piracy and how it hurts, I know a lot of backstage stories about the damage it does, and so on. It's a matter of responsibility. No matter how you decide for yourself. I might drive drunk every day, but I wouldn't really say that on TV, would I? ;)[/QUOTE]

I try to avoid buying used games in most situations. I believe that the used game market is worse for the video game industry than piracy.

bread's done
Back