CAGcast #175: The Citizen Kane of Podcasts

Cast my vote for Shipwreck being a regular. Besides having a distinct point of view from Cheapy and Wombat, with a third guy the show can go on if someone's sick or on vacation.

The hype machine was out of control this week. I can't believe the New York Times reviewer wrote that. That paper has really gone down in credibility, especially when they cover tech.

The Metroid Prime series is the Citizen Kane of games? A good sci-fi yarn at best but it didn't have an emotionally gripping adult story that's told on many levels. I could see that going to Shadow of the Colossus, BioShock, or Silent Hill 2. It'll take time before we know which ones hold up over time. Sophisticated narrative in games is a relatively new concept.

You know what FRAK the negative views cause no matter what you try and do you can never make everyone happy. And that is what the internet has become a collection of people to bitch and complain.

I will say this has been the best CAG episode to date. I wouldn't change the formula up, if Shipwreck pops up every now and then great but if he became permanent it would kill the flow. CAG podcast is unique in the sense that its not always about video games but the lives of two gamers getting old, I love it.

Great work guys, keep it up.

the only reason sonic and mario blah blah blah would sell moe is because its going to be on more systems but theres 2 things that could affect that.

1 the first mario and sonic game was shit and after being burned once many gamers wont waste their money on it again.

2. ps3 sales have gone up since the price drop and many of those new ps3 owners could potentially buy uncharted 2 and on top of that uncharted 2 could help to sell more ps3s.

that said if youve played the game , especially the mp part, you know how damn addictive it is and that game can and will sell consoles.

apart from that damn man you 2 are fucking petty.it really does bug the shit out of you how much people liked shipwreck on the show and want him on it. sad thing is if you 2 ( cheapy and womba) actually took the time to do research and get into more game types people wouldnt care as much if he was on the show or not.

he brings a level of deatil and quality to the cagcast that you all kinda dont not to say you arent entertaining but when people tune into your show to learn about new or upcoming games they tend to get letdown. if a games too hard you dont want to bother and if you dont like it you just flat out pass over it but shipwreck tries pretty much everything and objectively gives his opinion on it. thats what people like and want more out of the show.

hell just look at that one show you did where you said afrika wasnt a good game and complained about not being able to go where you want to and someone posted how if youd only went through a few more missions youd have free reign over going where you want. you cant hate shipwreck for doing what he does and doing i well if youre that jealous do better. and yeah wombat does have an excuse because of his job but cmon cheapy..........

Personally I would like shipwreck to be permanent. Some people seem to think he ruins the chemistry between you two, and I can see some merit in that argument. He is more informed and plays more games than wombat and cheapy. I don't think he interfere with the chemistry too much and overall adds something to the podcast. Maybe a middle ground could be having him on every other podcast?

Sorry, but you can't compare Halo 3: ODST to Super Street Fighter 4, ODST came out 2 years after Halo 3 and Super Street Fighter 4 is coming out about a year after Street Fighter 4. Not to mention ODST has a full fledged story mode, Firefight mode, and every map for Halo 3 multiplayer, Super Street Fighter 4 seems to just an update with a few additional characters, but doesn't add anything really substantial compared to ODST.

Also first CAGcast I've listened to in over a year, glad I came back, missed the show.

EDIT: Just got to the teaching English part, a friend of mine teaches English in Korea, and he doesn't know a lick of Korean, I didn't ask specifics, but he isn't supposed to know Korean and the kids are supposed to pick up English somehow through him just teaching it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This show was an unlistenable stream of consciousness. Was there any gaming content discussed between you two?

Bring back Shipwreck, and you two take a week off.

Yes, Shipwreck is dry. Which is why he is great teamed up with Cheapy and Wombat. Foreplay is over anyway, keep him permanent. Between the three of you, you'll be able to release a show every week.

Wombat, what's the name of the pumpkin/corn maze farm you went to? And the pie place? I might be interesting to taking my family to both. Thanks.

As for taking kids to Disney... I don't know about the Tokyo parks, but for Disney World, 5 is probably the best age for a kid's first visit. Any younger, and nobody's going to have fun. Of course, all kids are different.

Wombat and Cheapy, you're both wrong.

Embargoes could make the reviewing fair - IGN could get a copy of a game one week before an independent blog, and IGN could have a huge advantage over the blog. However, embargoes should never last up to the release date - those are clearly made so those checking Metacritic don't see poor reviews if they're buying it on the release date.

Embargoes should, at most, last until the day before release of a game.

On the topic of Shipwreck...

I consider most other vg podcasts unlistenable because there are simply too many people talking over each other. This is really the only vg podcast I listen to, I tried to listen to the destructiod podcast , and it was just awful. I don't mind shipwreck so much, but I like the cagcast duo the way it is.

Disney Sea is awesome. Glad to hear you liked it, Cheapy.

Shipwreck is a good fit for the CAGcast, but I enjoy it even without him. I listen to only 4 podcasts with any regularity, and CAG is one of them (the others are the Coasterbuzz podcast, the Savage Lovecast, and the online version of Realtime With Bill Maher)

My input on the whole review embargo.

Reviewers, especially those of a somewhat popular site, often have to review games they either would not play or play under set time (or other) constraints. In the past, I would read reviews at gamefaqs. Yes of course a huge majority of the reviews and its writers are composed of terrible prose and bullshit. However, there are a niche group some decent and excellent game reviews. I have actually bought some obscure gba game after reading a review for it on gf and loved the game (C.I.M.A. if anyone was wondering). It's ridiculous that some sites try to get their review out just to profit in some internet traffic. If the site's a half decent one in the first place, people would go and read the review regardless if it's before the game is released or a week or so after.

oh and shipwreck adds a slightly different dimension to the show when he's on. I think having him on every other cast is just fine.

I've gotta say that I think Shipwreck should stay being a guest. Even though I think Ship's commentary on games is amazing, he seems to make Cheapy and Wombat stray from what they're good at (last cast, Cheapy seemed to just want the cast to end and Wombat stuck with just one-line jokes at random times). I think Ship should just do a weekly blog with his thoughts on game releases and what-not (plus reviews of course), while Cheapy and Wombat continue the cast.

And teaching english without knowing japanese...that just seems bad.

[quote name='Wombat']We get it, you hate the PSPGo and you wish it was never released.[/QUOTE]

wow that's your response heh? I actually decided to post this based off the forums post about podcasts that were good and have gone to crap over at neogaf. The Cagcast was getting ripped because it was noted that it's gone to crap over time and after putting up a post and getting this response from the show host I agree. Peace out and good luck.

Podcasts don't normally make me laugh, but the Shipwreck's pussy jokes made me laugh so much I had to stop working.

Also, regarding the neo gaf thread about podcasts people no longer listen to, how would the guy know what you guys said about Halo 3: ODST unless he listened to your guys recently?

Keep up the good work, love the show blah blah blah

Listening to CAGast now. On the subject of Shipwreck, I'm sure he's a nice guy and all, but I find I enjoy the show more when it's just Cheapy and Wombat. So no, not everyone wants Shipwreck on every week :)

[quote name='omnilaw']wow that's your response heh? I actually decided to post this based off the forums post about podcasts that were good and have gone to crap over at neogaf. The Cagcast was getting ripped because it was noted that it's gone to crap over time and after putting up a post and getting this response from the show host I agree. Peace out and good luck.[/QUOTE]

I thought my joke was amusing, oh well.

I think Shipwreck adds some credibility to the show. I mean how the fuck could you not mention the new DS with the Nvidia chip? The bulk of your Nintendo news was Cap't Lou.

Look I am not expecting an in depth review of all the news but missing obvious stories is just lazy. (especially considering how much a new DS would benefit Cheapy in sales)

From what I've seen and heard, almost anything can be held under an embargo, though reviews tend to be embargoed all of the time. It's generally done so that nobody just rushes through it and writes up a review just to be first while possibly getting a sloppy review out there, which I'd guess that it's part of the PR strategy. Previews are done for events and preview builds, but not much else. Anything I've gotten early has had no preview embargo, to encourage me to write up impressions whenever I can, while having a review embargo that ranges from the day it comes out to a few days early to a couple of weeks before its release.

As someone that writes for a smaller site, review embargoes give us a better shot to get a good amount of hits for that review when there's that rush by readers to checking out the great and not so great scores that a game has received. I don't really know the ulterior motive for a review embargo, but a game can get quite a bit of attention out of that flood of reviews, especially when they're good.

The first Sonic & Mario Olympic game definitely sold more than Uncharted, as it has Sonic and Mario and is on the Wii, where that kind of game can do really well.

There really isn't a need for a Queen Rock Band game with the DLC that's coming since they should just focus on putting out more DLC, though I could see a Queen Track Pack like the AC/DC Track Pack being worthwhile.

Of course it's more expensive to develop games on a real gaming system (PSP) rather than the iPhone. The Minis developers shouldn't be overcharging consumers because of the inherent cost of making games for a handheld system that are probably cheaper than most other PSP games.

Shipwreck needs to be on the show mostly every week since he adds to the entertainment value of the show since you guys aren't good for news or information, so having your stat boy on the show can only help make the show better. Good show.

Also, I checked out the NeoGAF thread Cheapy was talking about and it reads like everyone in there can't stand any mistakes by people that are on podcasts, so they have issues if they can't figure out in the first show that you guys are dumb.

I really enjoyed the show as always guys, but refering to the Shipwreck issue, I think he should be more of a guest that is on on occasion. He definitely adds a great third party look at material but his humor is not on the same level as Cheapy's and Wombat's. He is great at getting the information across, but he doesnt add to that humor factor which is what we love about your podcast. Wombat and Cheapy have an almost Howard Stern sense of humor, and I feel Shipwreck is just a bit too straight-laced...

I want to throw out a great big "Hell yes!" to Wombat for mentioning Duck Tales in the 2D remake bit. I absolutely loved Duck Tales on the NES. A cartoon-styled remake on XBLA would be awesome (maybe cell shaded?). Hell I would even be tremendously happy just to see it on the Virtual Console.

Thank you Wombat for attempting to educate Cheapy on an amazing NES title that I still profess my undying love for anytime old school games are mentioned. And a big "shame on you" Cheapy for never playing it! You don't even know the true joy of hearing the music from the Moon Level!

Oh and here is my requisite "have Shipwreck on the show more often" portion of the post. So have Shipwreck on the show a bit more, the three of you together work very well. Not saying that the Cheapy/Wombat combo is not working, but it is always good to hear Shipwreck in there giving his $0.02 as well.

[quote name='usickenme']I think Shipwreck adds some credibility to the show. I mean how the fuck could you not mention the new DS with the Nvidia chip? The bulk of your Nintendo news was Cap't Lou.

Look I am not expecting an in depth review of all the news but missing obvious stories is just lazy. (especially considering how much a new DS would benefit Cheapy in sales)[/QUOTE]

Thats just a rumor, we dont like to do rumor stories, so its not being lazy. Not that we arn't lazy, just not about this.

So Cheapy...since you are a big fan of Mash-ups, have you heard if Activison will release any of them on itunes or in disc form ala GTA's radio station CD's???

I don't see why Metroid Prime being called the "Citizen Kane of games" is getting so much controversy. Metroid Prime was critically acclaimed on its release and did win some Game of the Year awards. Citizen Kane was not a box office success when it was first released, despite getting good reviews. I wouldn't compare the two since taste in video games is a lot more subjective than taste in film, but I still enjoyed Metroid series in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='apathylad']I don't see why Metroid Prime being called the "Citizen Kane of games" is getting so much controversy. Metroid Prime was critically acclaimed on its release and did win some Game of the Year awards. Citizen Kane was not a box office success when it was first released, despite getting good reviews. I wouldn't compare the two since taste in video games is a lot more subjective than taste in film, but I still enjoyed Metroid series in general.[/QUOTE]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen_kane

Citizen Kane is widely regarded to be one of, if not THE best film of all time. it was a technical and artistic tour de force that has withstood the test of time. Metriod Prime is an ok game. The gap between the two is so huge that it is ridiculous.

Speaking of Shipwreck, who the fuck won the contest last month for Holy Invasion of Privacy Badman?

Did Wombat spell Sea S-E-A-C at the beginning of the show? Also how can you say that Japan has good drinking laws when those laws technically do not exist over there and are not actually laws? Ducktales was fun back in the day as well, and also you guys left out the Wii for your expectations being fullfilled, even though I have the feeling that it has not fullfilled your expectations and is Laura or Lori Mrs. Wombat? I heard Wombat say that name about dental work and I assume its Mrs. Wombat? Ok, done being a Nit-Picking asshole and the show was fun to listen too.

[quote name='dopa345']Citizen Kane is the most overrated movie ever.

Just had to say it.[/QUOTE]

i have to agree with you on that i saw it and was just bored to death by it but oddly enough i love the grapes of wrath so its not one of those i hate old school movie things.

[quote name='Davestation']Speaking of Shipwreck, who the fuck won the contest last month for Holy Invasion of Privacy Badman?

Did Wombat spell Sea S-E-A-C at the beginning of the show? Also how can you say that Japan has good drinking laws when those laws technically do not exist over there and are not actually laws? Ducktales was fun back in the day as well, and also you guys left out the Wii for your expectations being fullfilled, even though I have the feeling that it has not fullfilled your expectations and is Laura or Lori Mrs. Wombat? I heard Wombat say that name about dental work and I assume its Mrs. Wombat? Ok, done being a Nit-Picking asshole and the show was fun to listen too.[/QUOTE]
Wombat said "S-E-A Sea" though it could easily be confused for what you said.

[quote name='DarkZion']Wombat said "S-E-A Sea" though it could easily be confused for what you said.[/QUOTE]

Oh, that makes more sense...thanks

Shipwreck is awesome and its not anything against you guys. He adds another dynamic to the show and I like to hear about the games he plays.

Also want to say that Mirror's Edge is awesome. The end does get a little heavy and hard but I mean it was the first of a series and not exactly a formula game that they had to built on. Maybe because I got it for 20 I don't hate it but I felt it was awesome.

So Wombat... I don't know if you've ever seen the movie 'She's all that' with Freddie Prinze Jr and Rachael Leigh Cook but my wife forced me to re-watch it tonight and it made me think of you. When I listened to the Cagcast this morning, your resistance to Shipwreck being a regular on the show made you come off as being incredibly insecure. You (just like Rachel Leigh Cook) need to realize that you're just as pretty as the other girl (Shipwreck) in your own way. And maybe if you play your cards right Cheapy (Freddy Prinze) will pick you over the other girl at the end of the movie.

Podcast is better with just Cheapie and Wombat. Ship is great, but he interrupts the dynamic duo chemistry. Wombat instead of being goofy and making his corny jokes turns into more of a straightforward Cheapie hater. Cheapie doesn't get to talk as much and, seeing as how he's in Japan and never talks, it is a big downer for him.

I say bring Ship on every month to sit in on the cast or bring him in for a review segment or something.

Mirror's Edge rocked. I loved it. I don't think the second half is worse at all except there are few levels with more guns/guys which makes it more difficult. Must have restarted some levels 20 times. And broke 4 controllers. But I loved it. So new and original. Great experience. There's 8 or 9 levels if I remember right.

[quote name='dopa345']Citizen Kane is the most overrated movie ever.[/QUOTE]

No, I'm pretty sure that honor belongs to "It's a Wonderful Life". Bailey should've jumped. Screw everyone else.

[quote name='bickle']http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen_kane

Citizen Kane is widely regarded to be one of, if not THE best film of all time. it was a technical and artistic tour de force that has withstood the test of time. Metriod Prime is an ok game. The gap between the two is so huge that it is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

The film is praised a lot more right now than it was back then, taken from your wiki post:

"Despite numerous positive reviews from critics at the time,the film was not a box office success, just making back enough to cover the budget, but not enough to make a profit."

As I mentioned before, regardless of what your opinion of Metroid Prime is, the game did get a lot of praise too:

"
Prime was also critically acclaimed,[59] including a perfect review score from Electronic Gaming Monthly,[40] and numerous Game of the Year awards. It was praised for its detailed graphics, with special effects and varied environments,[60] moody soundtrack and sound effects,[16] level design,[61] immersive atmosphere,[10] and innovative gameplay centered on exploring as opposed to the action of games such as Halo[62] while staying faithful to the Metroid formula.[63] ...
On GameRankings, Prime is the fifth-highest rated game ever, with an average score of 96.26% (as of June 2009), making it the highest reviewed game of the sixth generation.[66] The video game countdown show Filter named Prime as having the Best Graphics of all time.[67]
Prime was also chosen for lists of best games: 24th in IGN's Top 100,[68] 29th in a 100 game list chosen by GameFAQs users,[69] and 10th in Nintendo Power's "Top 200 Nintendo Games Ever".[70] GameSpy chose it as the third best GameCube title of all time, behind The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker and Resident Evil 4,[71] while IGN put it at first in a similar list.[72] Metroid Prime also became popular among players for speedrunning, with specialized communities being formed to share these speedruns.[73]"

I wouldn't call this just an "ok" game. :roll:

[quote name='apathylad']The film is praised a lot more right now than it was back then, taken from your wiki post:

"Despite numerous positive reviews from critics at the time,the film was not a box office success, just making back enough to cover the budget, but not enough to make a profit."
[/QUOTE]

Ummm, actually your statement contridicts yourself. Just because something is a failure at the Box Office does not mean that the film was praised. According to your logic Transformers 2 was a critical success because it made a shitload of money in theatres this summer? There is a difference between "Critical Success" and "Financial Success". Many critical television shows get cancelled because they do not have the audience, while other less critical shows get re-newed. But to compare Metroid Prime to what people say is the best movie around? So, lets take this to the Critics:

Citizen Kane ranks #1 on AFI's 100 years, 100 movies. So the past 100 years Citizen Kane was voted to be the best movie.

So Citizen Kane wins the movie category, so now lets see what the equivilant of Citizen Kane is to video games by finding the #1 rated game from GameRankings.com. According to gamerankings.com Metroid Prime ranks sixth on the list of greatest games of all times while Ocarina of Time ranks number one of all time.

So with this said, it is fair to compare Citizen Kane to Ocarina of Time and Metroid Prime to The Graduate since they both equally ranked in their category? This data is what AFI and game reviewers have come up with. I myself disagree with the list but that is the purpose of reviews.

You might think that Metroid is a top 5 game, but in others they may put it on their least favorite game. Whoever made the original statement obviousley loves Citizen Kane and Metroid Prime and made that statement under what they believed was the best in each category.

Citizen Kane kind of revolutionized the way movies were made. I do see a couple of key things Metroid Prime 1 did though:

#1 - Hiding load times through elevator shafts and doors opening (You see this in pretty much every game now but in different ways)
#2 - Chozo Lore for storytelling where you have to find the backstory (This is where Bioshock got the audio recording idea from)

bread's done
Back