CAGcast #177: Gay Friendly

Tai's costume is hilarious. I'm not sure the pumpkin belt and clown hat go well together. The garbage bag cape makes it though.

[quote name='actripxl']
For me to call a straight male a f** for using a cheap and "unmanly" tactic is not the same if I use it against a homosexual male simply because he's gay. Just like when some calls a person a N***er is not the same when they say N**ga, the context of the word in the conversation matters.
[/QUOTE]

It's a little easier to distinguish the context between the two versions of the N words, since they have more or less opposite meanings. I guess I should ask for clarification on someone's exact meaning next time I hear someone called a fa* or fa**ot on XBox Live. Personally it just makes me want to take my headset off. I guess I should sack up though.

Either way it's just incredibly stupid for a big company to use it in advertising.

Thought I'd finally post after a couple of years of silent listening not just for the contest either.... Love the show, the ones with Ship especially, Keep up the good work guys.

Great show guys, Shipwreck was fine this episode, no Ginger Effect. South Park episode last night had a Gay friendly theme, as someone above mentioned. It was quite funny. I'm in for the Bayonetta soundtrack.

[quote name='actripxl']You're wrong yes many morons may use it in a demeaning manner, but IW CLEARY did not do that and simply used it a a humorous punch line. Whether you found it funny or not is irrelevant to the fact that they meant it in a funny way towards straight males that use cheap tactics.
This is why political correctness has clouded so many that they cannot see the context in which it was applied, and turned everyone to sensitive babies.

If you didn't find it funny so be it, but to me it was hilarious since grenade spamming is a cheap tactic that many use in COD. Hopefully grenade will TK and deduct points for TK'ing, since this will pretty much solve the grenade spamming problem.

Off to the library and then straight to work, feel free to send me messages for further debate on this matter which I will respond tomorrow and happy gaming everyone.

P.S. Borderland Rocks![/QUOTE]

What I'm saying is even though IW used the word in that context and almost definitely didn't mean any ill will, they are indirectly associating themselves with the usage of that word in their game. They obviously are aware of the frequent usage of the word online, so at best they were being near-sighted.

That's great if you think using that word is cool because you wouldn't be bothered by it, but everyone reacts differently, and nobody should have to put up with that language just because some douchebag teenager wearing the internets mask got picked on in school that day and wants to let out his frustrations.

Arguments of political correctness aside, I am 99.9% sure the XBL T.O.S. forbids that kind of language.

Wombat,

I'm fairly sure "newbreview.com" = "newbie review.com" instead of "noob review.com"....

Wow, that's one super big boy...

[quote name='Smuglittleman']Shipwreck, I had the exact same problem of not being able to print the return label when I went to send in my 360 in for repair. I tried 3 different browsers on 2 different computers.

I just deleted the return and did it over again and requested that MS mail me the label. It took over 2 weeks just to get the label but it worked.[/QUOTE]I always had them deliver the coffin. It comes with a pre-printed label.

[quote name='disbeleaf']What I'm saying is even though IW used the word in that context and almost definitely didn't mean any ill will, they are indirectly associating themselves with the usage of that word in their game. They obviously are aware of the frequent usage of the word online, so at best they were being near-sighted.

That's great if you think using that word is cool because you wouldn't be bothered by it, but everyone reacts differently, and nobody should have to put up with that language just because some douchebag teenager wearing the internets mask got picked on in school that day and wants to let out his frustrations.

Arguments of political correctness aside, I am 99.9% sure the XBL T.O.S. forbids that kind of language.[/QUOTE]Didn't the latest South Park, "The F Word", just redefine what that word means?
http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/251889

^^^Yes, Infinity Ward was making a statement against annoying Harley riders.

Wombat was on fire with his random jokes and references. (Full House???)

Overall ,it was a good show. Well done gents.

hey cheapy can you put the shownotes in the podcast so when i look at the podcast on my iphone i can see what the show is about it would helpif you put the time in next to the topic so when im in class i can listen to a certain topic
thanks

p.shipwrek is a pussy

First off, my condolences Wombat.

Secondly, Great show all around. The MWII commercial went too far and honestly I hope someone was canned for that one. Having watched the commercial it makes a valid point, but the acroynm was uncalled for and just helps feed the hate.

Oddly enough, I completely ignored the story in Borderlands when I played co-op with a couple of buddies.

Good show, guys.

Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! is great. I love listening to it late Saturday mornings in the car when I'm out doing errands.

[quote name='Gentlegamer']Why does a married man need condoms?*

*with his wife[/QUOTE]

Maybe Cheapy is like Runkle from Californication.

[quote name='Nebenator']I loved the show, it was one of the best since I started listening.

About the MW2 Controversy:
MW2 is a MATURE game. If the advertisement was placed on a website where you must verify your age, then that it is understandable. South Park just had a whole episode based off of that word, and Team America had the exact same joke as part of the movie. MW2 is a mature game, Team America is a mature movie, and South Park is a mature show. All three are well known, and notify that they are for mature audiences in trailers, before the show, ect. You can be offended that they used that word, you can be offended about the violence in the game, you can be offended about a lot of different things.

WARNING: MATURE AUDIENCES ONLY

[youtube][/youtube][/QUOTE]

While I do like South Park and Team America and I wasn't offended by the MW 2 PSA video, I still think it was a poor marketing move. The thing with Call of Duty is that it isn't a satire, and it was never meant to be comical, so the F.A.G.S video seems completely backwards in tone. Also, this video was uploaded right after the "airport massacre" leak, so it seems a little confusing that the game with a supposed serious message would market itself with a cheap joke. Unfortunately people on Xbox Live use that slur over and over again, so when Infinity Ward uses it gives the message that it is acceptable to use the slur, along with the other sexist term, p******.

Second show I've listened to and I get to listen to condom talk on my run. Perfect

Oh, I also recommend Wait Wait. Very good podcast.

Great show guys! When you were talking about the horse condoms...I've never laughed so hard in my life. Cagcast is the highlight of my podcast listening every week.

[quote name='spoo']Maybe Cheapy is like Runkle from Californication.[/QUOTE]Is your user title taken from Knights of the Dinner Table?

I'm gonna have to tell you the truth here. Having Shipwreck on the show is really bringing the whole act down. Sorry but he's just kind of stale and humorless. It's just his character

It's like the Giant Bombcast and Brad's stale humor but him being stale doesnt matter since theres 3 other funny people in the room and theres no lag since theyre in the same room. Obviously it doesnt work with 3 people at different corners of the world.

Plus, he irritated me with that whole Gow3 demo not living up to his expectations.

Great show as usual guys.
I'm glad Cheapy decided to do the podcast even though he was sick, the CAGCAST is one of my humor highlights of the week.

Normally I don't appreciate Shipwreck in the podcasts (although I like his written and video reviews) but he's growing on me.
To Shipwreck - Humor hits the right spot

CAGContest Entered.

Oh how I

What did I learn from the CAGcast?

CheapyD prefers white condoms :D

BaDumTsssssh.jpg

Awesome show you guys! I liked hearing about the blood awaiting me in Dragon Age. I think though the Wombat, you HAVE TO TAKE THIS CHALLENGE!!!! I want to see the "Wombat eats a 7 pattie burger" video.

I know you can do it Wombat!!!!!

Lets Go Wombat, Lets Go....LETS GO!!!

First CAGcast I've ever listened to and it's funny as hell. Will start tuning in every week now. Yeahhh!

Great show. There was a surprising amount of videogame reviews in this episode and that along with you guys usual funny banter let to this being on the best CAGCasts ever.

While I think it was a stupid risk given the political climate out here, I was not offended by the MW2 advertisement. I think the extreme political correctness and the "Gotcha" mentality of the media at large make people feel more outrage then they should. I say this as a black man who has had more than my share of racist encounters and N-words hurled at me in my 30 years on this earth. I can enjoy a good joke as well as anyone. I think people of all ethnic groups, sexual orientations, race, sex, whatever, need to look more at the intent of the messenger. Hell, Cheapy D makes insensitive black jokes and impressions from time to time but I wouldn't call him racist. People need to separate sexist or racist comments or actions from failed attempts at racial humor or sexual humor or general ignorance.

Okay I couldn't help it, I needed to post a pic of a Halloween costume at a party I went to (okay my costume) after hearing about Wombat's lame costume.
4080069804_f579c8c1cd_o.jpg
And here is what my costume was of.

4079310655_32ecf68c6d_o.jpg

Just hearing about Shipwreck's review backlog just makes me want to suggest that you cut some of those games if there are stragglers. I know you might be trying to be polite and give everyone that sends you something a shot, but it does them and you no good if you have this huge backlog where practically nothing is getting out. I didn't hear if you were just overwhelmed with playing the games or just the reviews, but you might want to have a cutoff point to lighten your load at any one point so you can handle what you're getting. I'd especially suggest putting more of a focus on the games you ask for over stuff that's sent to you randomly, which keeps you from being locked to stuff you weren't expecting and may end up not fitting into your schedule. I do get into periods where I have more than I can really handle, but I luckily have others that can help out if I can unload stuff on them and not be as overwhelmed as you might be.

Jack Thompson's not worried about carpal tunnel syndrome right now since he's suing Facebook for millions because there's an Anti-Jack Thompson group on there.

According to Phil Kollar and Robert Bowling, the F.A.G.S. video was made outside of an upcoming advertising campaign using in-game and live-action footage and this wasa side video by that same team that Robert Bowling sponsored on behalf of Infinity Ward on Twitter and Youtube, which is a huge oversight on his part to publish this unofficial Modern Warfare 2 video. I would have been surprised that he wasn't canned if it weren't for him being the official source of Modern Warfare 2 info on Twitter and maybe having some invincibility because of his status with the community, but I don't think he'll get another free pass.

I don't really believe Shipwreck's claim that God of War III looks worse than Heavenly Sword.

I don't really get PSP fighting games, as they seem like they're destined to just be single-player affairs without online play since I don't really know anybody with a PSP.

Zoe Mode is a developer, Wombat, not a person.

The new Xbox 360 dashboard is a clusterfuck, as it just seems like Microsoft just tossed darts at a dartboard to figure out how to add Last.fm, Facebook, Twitter, Halo Waypoint, and the MSNBC content. They added a new Music Marketplace where you can't even get music, just the same music videos that they've had in the video store forever, so it's just there for Last.fm. Twitter is in the fifth spot on the My Community tab while Facebook is in the 1st spot and Halo Waypoint and MSNBC's content is mixed within two other tabs, so I'm still forgetting where they're at despite having the update for a week or two now. They should just have an App tab to put all of this crap so that they're simplifying the interface and not just adding and shoving things into it in illogical ways.

Good show.

[quote name='john8686']I don't get it. Is this a social show? Like a book club for games? 2 hours? I listened to about 4 of these and I can't seem to finish them. I want to hear about the games and what you guys think of them. I don't want to listen to 3 guys talk about their personal lives, eating hamburgers, farting, and talking about nonsense that no one cares about. And whats with all the reviews on the lamest DS games? The section where you talk about the games is valued by me, I just wish I didn't have to sift through this drivel to get to it. Maybe bookmarks or chapters so we can listen to just what we want to listen to?[/QUOTE]

The cagcast isnt for you, just let that be the end of the story. Most of us like it the way it is.

I liked the idea of plugging domain names cags register, I'm curious to see what kind of stuff cags are up to, I think between that and posting their links in the show notes, you could probably get more people to register.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='actripxl']You're wrong yes many morons may use it in a demeaning manner, but IW CLEARY did not do that and simply used it a a humorous punch line. Whether you found it funny or not is irrelevant to the fact that they meant it in a funny way towards straight males that use cheap tactics.

[/QUOTE]

So they only meant to call the straight males $$$S? Well then thats SO MUCH BETTER. If you're calling a straight male a $$$ chances are your intent is to insult that person by implying something derogatory, is it not? SO in other words they used it in a demeaning manner like all those other "morons" you talk about.

Pretty good show. I've gotta say, the way Ship was fit into this show was pretty well done. He actually felt like part of the show, rather than him being sort of an outcast.

And I've gotta say, the whole "controversy" on the Modern Warfare video is plain stupid. If you really get offended by an acronym at the end of a video (its not even directed at anyone), then you really shouldn't even be interested in the game. You're looking at a game that features nothing but killing, yet you get all riled up at an acronym for a common word, which is also the same word for a cigarette in Britain. And the only reason why this is even "controversial" is because its a video game, which is always a target for anything that's potentially bad for kids (Mass Effect "sex scene" I'm looking at you) despite the games having an M rating. The Guatemalan Air Force, Fuerza Aérea Guatemalteca is the same acronym, yet you don't see news reports yelling at their government for that.

[quote name='volt1up']So they only meant to call the straight males $$$S? Well then thats SO MUCH BETTER. If you're calling a straight male a $$$ chances are your intent is to insult that person by implying something derogatory, is it not? SO in other words they used it in a demeaning manner like all those other "morons" you talk about.[/QUOTE]

You should watch the new South Park episode and I'm guessing after that post of yours you will shit a brick. ;)

http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/251889

[quote name='Gentlegamer']Is your user title taken from Knights of the Dinner Table?[/QUOTE]
No it is from playing the board game Settlers of Catan to many times with my immature friends. But after looking up Knights of the Dinner Table I will check it out.

Wombat, hell yea, Dragon Age Origins is awesome. you just need to get past the beginning area and the game really opens up. the later areas in the game look better than the first area as well. lots of nice twists in the story with plenty of interesting characters. the voice acting is also outstanding. i'm loving it so far. very addicitive game.

btw Wombat, thanks for mentioning the code fiasco. i thought it was the Live code too. but like you said, you have to do it in the main menu of the game. so weird. i figured it out after doing a simple search online in the EA Dragon Age forums.

this may sound sad, but I'm in for the 7 Wendy's challenge. 2 triples and a single... I think I could tackle that.

I'm also on board the pro-Ship bandwagon! I used to groan a little bit when he came on and especially when he started rattling off new releases no one could possibly care about. He definitely feels like a part of the show now though and I like when he's on.

[quote name='spoo']
No it is from playing the board game Settlers of Catan to many times with my immature friends. But after looking up Knights of the Dinner Table I will check it out.[/QUOTE]The characters in KoDT played a parody version of Settlers and that was one of the jokes. :)

always great to have ship on the show. nothing against wombat at all, but more than two make the conversation a bit more dynamic. all we need is mrs. ship to join one week.

...was streaming this until I clicked to add a comment to this thread (shamelessly, for the contests), and lost my feed. Went back and downloaded it. Great show!

[quote name='volt1up']So they only meant to call the straight males $$$S? Well then thats SO MUCH BETTER. If you're calling a straight male a $$$ chances are your intent is to insult that person by implying something derogatory, is it not? SO in other words they used it in a demeaning manner like all those other "morons" you talk about.[/QUOTE]

Another one blinded by political correctness that is unable to see the context of the word by simply using common sense.

bread's done
Back