CAGcast #189: DRM Free!

[quote name='PaddedCell']After reading some of the arguments back and forth and listening to the podcast I just wanted to leave my 2 cents.

Pirates are going to find a way around the DRM, so really the only people that are being penalized is the consumer, so I am not even sure what the debate is? You build a higher wall someone is going to build a taller ladder so that others can climb to get over the wall.

Not saying that the backlash of the DRM is to pirate the game is right, but at the same time is it right for the developers who are asking for your money to make you jump through hoops to give it to them? Ok sure, then don't buy the game, but if it’s something you've been looking forward to because you do like the game/genre/story/etc you get to miss an experience that maybe you had been looking forward to because they want to punish pirates who are getting the game for free and not having to jump through the hoops... Not to mention the risk is still relatively low. I don't know if those same people who choose the easier route would of bought the game or not, but I can definitely see why someone choose easy vs. paying for difficulty.

As for the comment from wombat about getting a console if your wanting to play that game. That is a pretty asinine statement considering the times we live in with the economy as it is. Buy a $300 dollar system to play 1 game that costs $60+ (at release). Sure they probably shouldn’t be buying games at all if they’re enduring hardships but we all need a break from our troubled times and $50 dollars is a hell of a lot easier to come by than $360. To continue on this point, what if you have the computer system to play AS2 but cant afford the internet fees to go with a cable or DSL connection, then I guess you're assed out. Lets also not forget, that the servers on ubisofts side is a factor, when they crash, what happens?
[/QUOTE]

3-5 years down the road when netbooks become powerful enough to play this stuff on the go, it just won't be an option for retail customers, and that's sad. That's BS. It's not about being able to afford a proper internet connection, it's about limitations on a platform whose greatest strength is its flexibility.

Cheapy what ever happened to your famous one box moving story? You said you were going to talk about it over 20 episodes ago and since you just moved it might be appropriate to talk about it now. Anyway awesome episode, was listening to it in my spanish class and there were so many times that I had to hold in the laughter, the poo talk and cheapys jamaican accent specifically made me laugh XD

You know what? I hate when Wombat makes that tone during a conversation as if he knows what he's talking about.

Wombat, Cheapy and Shipwreck. You are not PC gamers. You have no idea what you are talking about. Being connected to the internet to play an OFFLINE game IS STUPID.

If any of you were subjected to play Mass Effect 2 while having a perfectly stable connection to the internet, you'd blow a fucking gasket.

Of course you need the internet to be connected to an MMO. It's Massively Multiplayer Online.

And the best part is, Wombat will keep thinking he's right. Assassin's Creed 1 obviously sold enough on PC to warrant the 2nd one on PC, so thats why they made a second version. Designed for consoles? I don't see how. Because it works with a controller? It works with a mouse and keyboard also. And a controller on PC.

DRM only hurts legitimate gamers trying to play their game. Pirates will have a superior version yet again which they didn't have to pay for and don't have any DRM.

Console only gamers judging what happens in the PC gaming realm tsk tsk tsk.

I play on my PS3 and on a PC so don't give me that. PC gamers do whine a lot but your comments about the DRM were just plain uninformed.

[quote name='Microshock']
Wombat, Cheapy and Shipwreck. You are not PC gamers. You have no idea what you are talking about. Being connected to the internet to play an OFFLINE game IS STUPID.

If any of you were subjected to play Mass Effect 2 while having a perfectly stable connection to the internet, you'd blow a fucking gasket.

Of course you need the internet to be connected to an MMO. It's Massively Multiplayer Online.

And the best part is, Wombat will keep thinking he's right. Assassin's Creed 1 obviously sold enough on PC to warrant the 2nd one on PC, so thats why they made a second version. Designed for consoles? I don't see how. Because it works with a controller? It works with a mouse and keyboard also. And a controller on PC.

DRM only hurts legitimate gamers trying to play their game. Pirates will have a superior version yet again which they didn't have to pay for and don't have any DRM.

Console only gamers judging what happens in the PC gaming realm tsk tsk tsk.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with everything you said. It makes me so angry when people act like we're mad because we want to steal the game. NO. People who steal games DON'T CARE ABOUT THE ACTIVATION/DRM because they won't have to deal with it. The only people who are going to be up in arms are potential/ex-customers.

I used to buy probably a game a week on PC, and that's slowed to a trickle because of activation. I can't get excited about anything because I don't know ahead of time if it'll be crippled. I can't preorder. Etc., etc.

I like that Sins of the Solar Empire guy's comments on that-that people stealing the game aren't his customers either. They weren't going to buy it with or with DRM, so freaking out about it doesn't accomplish anything but cost you sales.

(And note...I bought Sins, and Galactic Civ 2. Partly because they're supposed to be awesome games, but partly just to support the company.)

I've stopped buying PC games as well but not for DRM reasons persay, but because I can't sell any of the games.

Which i guess relates to the DRM thing.

You know the resale thing is a factor for me too. I always just thought of it as "oh, well the PC version's a bit cheaper to begin with" and didn't worry about it. But when I'm forced to buy the console version instead because of this, at least I get to think "if I don't like it that well, I can sell it".

I *try* to keep up with PC gaming, but at a time when hardware and software is better and cheaper than ever...this comes along and ruins everything. Geez. I'd still buy Spore if EA ever feels like selling it.

Wombat, I'm surprised at you. How can you be so insensitive? Over 150 years of technological development has been applied towards the enhancement of the female anatomy, and you scoff and criticize Samara for utilizing it to the fullest. A noble woman, who is using her craft to help track down and kill her own daughter for Christ sake, should be allowed the opportunity to indulge once and a while and grow tremendous, boner-inspiring fun pillows. And shame on you for mocking her!!! Of course she is proud of them and wants to draw attention to her wonderful achievement, you insensitive misogynist!! Jesus, two centuries later we have the incredible technology to travel to distant worlds and interact with other intelligent beings, all I can say is I sincerely hope our descendants are not prone to this kind of thought.

And what is she doing?! Smuggling Smurfs? What a ridiculous and fallible statement! First off, I attest that one would see the silhouetted facial structures of the two Smurfs through her uniform, had she actually been attempting to conceal them. And second, they would asphyxiate and be crushed to death by her enormous mouth-watering milk balloons! So what would be the point of even trying to transport them if they were just going to die by being crushed by those gigantic, majestic mountains of flesh?! Seriously your logic is way off. Think it out before you blurt it out.

Oh and Cheapy... I haven't forgotten about you salivating over Miranda's ass, objectifying those perfectly proportioned, ball draining pelvis cushions.

You guys are on thin ice. Please, for the good of the male gender, rein in your heat-seeking twat missiles.

But VesselAnnihilation, you are still the man. And don't worry, just because you do not comment on sex or women as much as these two other pigs doesn't mean that you are gay. So don't stress about it or anything. And definitely don't let those voices in your head persuade you into believing that.

On a serious note, I would really like you to reconsider the piracy issue. Your discussion about the Ubisoft DRM and Assassin's Creed II sort of spawned this topic, and you guys took the side against it. But Cheapy (and correct me if I'm wrong), I feel as if you sort of lumped the hackers and the pirates together. Not everyone is out to destroy the game; some just want to experience it. Wombat, I quote: "That's too damn bad, buy your own console" (and don't try to weasel your Wombat ass out of saying that). Well what if money is a problem for people and that's the only way they can experience it? Some video game enthusiasts may not be able to afford their own damn console. You said it yourselves in previous podcasts that the majority of listeners are younger, and in all likelihood, do not have full time jobs or high grossing websites to support themselves (I guess Wombat forgot about the guy in Target that recognized him, who is definitely not making as much as his hero). Do you really advocate that these people should willfully remain ignorant of something that brings enjoyment? Something that their idols, Wombat, Cheapy, and Shipwreck feel is noteworthy enough to discuss and get excited about on the show? Do you expect them to think, "Oh well, sucks to be me, I'll just shove my thumb back up my ass"?

And how could you take the side of a company that put out a problematic product? Do you defend Toyota as well? This is the plain fact: there was a huge flaw in Ubisoft's design and it made the game unplayable for users who legally downloaded the game. And the fact that the company did nothing to reconcile this is outrageous. They took these people's money for a defective product and said "Screw You". At least Toyota had the decency to recall their crap and provide some compensation for afflicted consumers.

Another question, do you feel that video game piracy should be set aside from music and film piracy? Are multi-million dollar organizations like the RIAA and the film industry justified in going after innocent people for gaining "illegal" access to media that the rest of the world seems to enjoy freely? Should Ubisoft and it's competitors be allowed to do the same? And try not to be blinded by the image of the fat, soulless, loser chipping away at his computer trying to cause damage just because he has nothing better to do. Not everyone is like that.

Most importantly, are these mulit-million dollar companies really hurt that badly when people gain illegal copies of their products? Are they going bankrupt or laying off massive amounts of workers? I'm not trying to be snide; I want your expert opinions.

Oh, another thing. The Incredible Hulk was incredibly awful and District 9 was great. Sorry, I know that was petty, but my god Cheapy you deserve two slaps for those blasphemies.

[quote name='Wolfpup']
I like that Sins of the Solar Empire guy's comments on that-that people stealing the game aren't his customers either. They weren't going to buy it with or with DRM, so freaking out about it doesn't accomplish anything but cost you sales.

(And note...I bought Sins, and Galactic Civ 2. Partly because they're supposed to be awesome games, but partly just to support the company.)[/QUOTE]

Same here. I really enjoyed Galactic Civ 2. I wasn't even going to take a look at the game, then I heard about their stance on drm.

I am not going to pirate or anything, but I won't buy a crippled game... Unless it is $5 bin sale.

Yeah, that's how I've ended up with a decent number of Steam games. At that price point I figure it's basically the same price as a rental, so...

Dear CheapyD, Wombat and Shipwreck,
As the PS2 is reaching it's 10th Birthday this year (4th March in Japan and October 24th in the US), do you think it's finally time to let the PS2 go? If not, why?
Keep up the fantastic work on the CAG Cast!

I know that you guys were only talking about those specific games, but here's what I feel will be the outcome:

1. Pokemon Heart Gold
2. God of War 3
3. Final Fantasy XIII (Xbox 360)
4. Pokemon Soul Silver
5. Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)

I just can't see Bad Company 2 surpassing any Pokemon game (especially when this is one of the real games and not a spinoff), Sony's biggest first-party game, and one of the most anticipated RPGs in many years. Bad Company may have come out earlier than the rest, but two of the games listed are the killer apps which many people purchased their PS3s for.

What's so creepy about Hostess bars. There are no different than any regular bars in USA. I've been to some in Japan and actually visit the USA version ones in local Asian areas in the states. No big deal. Ship, if you're going to Japan you're going to run into one of these places.

[quote name='PhaperPlane']Dear CheapyD, Wombat and Shipwreck,
As the PS2 is reaching it's 10th Birthday this year (4th March in Japan and October 24th in the US), do you think it's finally time to let the PS2 go? If not, why?
Keep up the fantastic work on the CAG Cast![/QUOTE]

What do you mean by let it go? Like Sony stop producing it? Or people stop playing it? Or...?

I'm *buying* PS2s to replace my not-actually-backwards-compatible PS3 :whistle2:D

[quote name='PhaperPlane']Dear CheapyD, Wombat and Shipwreck,
Keep up the fantastic work on the CAG Cast![/QUOTE]

Let the PS2 go we got PS3 now.

bread's done
Back