CAGcast #191: Motion Fighters

I don't know why anyone would dislike or complain about Wombat in the least bit. I love hearing what he's got to say.

Wombat, don't pay the hecklers any mind, you're a great guy!

You want constructive comments? Let's have more discussion of value for money on gaming purchases.

As I've often wondered with many a professional gaming journalist, I fear that having new release games given free by the publisher to BoatCrash may affect his judgment in a given review.

Hey cheapy love the site and,I love the podcast even more.i am actually starting up a gaming website my self and c.a.g. was definitely one of my main influences.do not worry i am not going to shamelessly slip the name of the site in this comment to plug it.I love the reviews boat crash oh,and wombat,RIGHT HERE BUDDY NOTE:i am holding up my middle finger while punching an actual wombat.You know guilty by association.Anyway love the show,loved the episode keep up the good work.

hey Wombat and Ship, in the Just Cause 2 demo, shoot the top(like where you would connect the source its going to) of the "propane" tank then just shoot the grappling hook at the same spot right after it. its really easy! Also, there is a granade launcher if you go to the first spot right down from your "base"

There is a sports car behind where the colonial is on the back right side of the building closest to your "base"

there is a plane to the left of where the colonial is that is really fun and easy to drive.

also, they flying the helicopter straight up until your above the clouds then jump out and try and get back into it, if you do its really funny.

awesome game though! GOOD SHOW, keep up the good work!

Just started listening to the show not too long ago. Keeping it on my subscribe list. Always nice to have more game podcasts to listen to during a long work day.

Though I get sick listening about the luxury Japanese apartment:p

[quote name='CheapyD']The trio talks PlayStation Move, God of War III, Just Cause 2, Battlefield Bad Company 2, and Blur. We also cover the latest industry and shopping news, answer your CAGbag and Twitter questions and oh so much more! [/QUOTE]

It was nice hearing my name on the podcast Cheapy, I love the show.

Oh and you are completely right about the half listening comment. I couldnt say how many times I have been listening to the podcast while doing something else and realize that I cant remember the last 20 minutes. I probably do a bit less angry misinformed email writing though.

What else? Wombat isnt so horrible and Boatcrash adds a lot. I'm liking the show a lot more lately and I really have nothing to tag it to, just keep it up!

Last edited by a moderator:
I listen to this podcast every Thursday at work. It's the best podcast I subscribe to within Zune Marketplace. Keep up the great work.

Another good show guys. I agree completely that the Just Cause 2 demo is incredibly fun. From your discussion, I get the idea that none of you played the original Just Cause. Many of the fun concepts of the current game were based in the original. Unfortunately, it straddled the console generations with PS2 and 360 releases and suffered from technical and budget issues as a result. (much like Gun) In spite of its issues, Just Cause 1 was a fun rental in the early days of the 360.

Regarding the guy whose wife wants to keep the Wii locked away from the 4 year olds, that is crazy. I've had a lot of great father/daughter time with my 4 year old playing New Super Mario Bros. Wii. The fact that she can press "A" to become encased in a floating invulnerability bubble any time it becomes too difficult for her makes it possible for us to finish even the difficult levels together.

I think Wombat would make a good villian, but who can beat the ECA. He would have a white cat and bruises everywhere he held shot guns wrong.

Wombat should have taken the villain after the drm comments.:lol:

Also Ship you forgot 1 game that sega is shipping.

IOBsol.jpg

I just wanted to followup after finishing the podcast that I actually had the reverse opinion shift with Wombat. At first I found him annoying at the very least, but after a couple of episodes I've found he's made me laugh quite frequently, and he really is a funny dude. I think his absence from the podcast would severely hurt the "funny factor" of the show, and all in all I think the three of you guys compliment each other well.

Lately I've been playing the Just Cause 2 demo non-stop, instead of Mass Effect 2. Easily a day one purchase for me.

The trick to launching yourself with the gas cans is to grapple on to the nozzle rather than the cylinder, and no, you don't have to shoot it first. Still, it's more fun to attach an enemy to one and watch him go flying.

P.S. I miss Mrs. Ferry-Collision

I started the argument on Facebook about Wombat bashing Chime. Here's my original post:
I love you Wombot, but my respect for you went down a notch or two when you bashed a great game that is giving its profits to charity with no explanation on the CAGcast. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you should tell thousands of gamers that it sucks. That may have been the first that they had heard of it and now won't give it a chance.
As you can see, I complained that he didn't explain his dislike of the game; not just that he didn't like it. I appreciate the explanation in this CAGcast. At least people can make an informed decision now.

[quote name='n11n12']Lately I've been playing the Just Cause 2 demo non-stop, instead of Mass Effect 2. Easily a day one purchase for me.

The trick to launching yourself with the gas cans is to grapple on to the nozzle rather than the cylinder, and no, you don't have to shoot it first. Still, it's more fun to attach an enemy to one and watch him go flying.

P.S. I miss Mrs. Ferry-Collision[/QUOTE]

The Just Cause 2 demo has been great. The dev team fixed everything from the first game.

Just some random thoughts and comments I put down as I was listening to the CAGcast

Cheapy is right, he doesn't need people to portray him as an asshole, he does a good enough doing that himself when he wins douche bag of the year.

I agree that God of War 3 taking 3 years in development is a bit much, but I think that God of War 2 should have been released on the PS2 when it came out just due to the number of consoles that Sony had in the market compared to the number of PS3 consoles that gamers had.

I'm with Shipwreck about FF13, it is a game that doesn't interest me. I never even beat 12, just a meh sort of feeling from it all. (The Gamestop impersonations were awesome too.)

The talk you guys have had about Just Cause 2 has been pretty awesome, I was excited for it when I saw some vids over the summer and the talk makes it sound even better.

Good commentary on Bioshock 2, also, I'm just a little bit past Wombat and I agree with it so far. Seems like a repackaged BS1 which may not be a bad thing, the first game was good.

I am skeptical about Onlive, I think their pricing is wrong. If you have to pay $15 a month you should get some free rentals every month, also I think most people who have a connection fast enough run Onlive probably could get a high end computer if they wanted one. Also the $180 a year you spend to play onlive is enough to keep your PC up to date to play any games you might want to play.

Cheapy, you can hope the Bowel movement is the best thing ever but that is like saying the Wiimote is the best thing ever. And you guys have talked enough about shitbox for what you think will happen with that.

And the BM actually looks like a sex toy my old girl friend had...kinda creepy.

What you three need to do when you are at E3 and at a press conference start booing anytime they talk about any of the motion controller. And video tape that and when you guys get kicked out of the press conference.

Congratulations to Microsoft in getting with the times and allowing people to express their sexual orientation.

Wombat was a bit off with the Baltimore mayor at first but he corrected himself as I started typing this sentence. I think it's worse that the mayor wasn't bribed but basically stole from a charity.

When Cheapy did his zombie voice I imagined that's how he moans during sex.

In closing, I'm not sure if it's a Jew thing or a New Yorker thing, but what's the big deal with shooting a shotgun?

Was a good show, not as good as last week but I think it was hard to follow the Mass Effect 2 discussion of last week.

OnLive is an interesting technology if it works. But that pricing is crazy. From last year we knew it was going to be subscription plus game cost. But $15 a month? Who would pay for that?

OnLive appeals to those that don't have a 360, PS3, or kick-ass PC system. If they don't have enough money for that, how likely is it they would have money for the monthly fee?

[quote name='spacemonkey']I listen to this podcast every Thursday at work. It's the best podcast I subscribe to within Zune Marketplace. Keep up the great work.[/QUOTE]There's someone else out there with a Zune? I'm not alone after all.

I hope motion controllers fail as well. Also it was hilarious hearing about what Mass Effect character you all are, and then going into shipwreck's ghost from spreadsheet past.

Also, that Amazon gift card would be pretty sweet.

It’s disappointing (but not surprising) that the three hosts cannot muster a modicum of imagination or see potential of the new interface systems. These are steps, albeit sometimes awkward, towards a different type of control. There is some legit criticism of the naming and trying to shoe-horn controls into EVERY game. But there are some games which could use the technology well.

What is almost as bad as all these motion controls is the videogamer's negativity around them. I personally enjoy seeing my kids jumping around playing games on the Wii.

I haven't even listened to the entire show, but couldn't pass up the chance at a $60 gift card.

A while ago Wombat mentioned the Blueberry Muffin Tops video contest which I entered and made the top-10! My video is the "Scientifically Crazed" video, third from the bottom where the blue guy is doing all sorts of crazy stuff.

You can vote for us here! Thanks!

http://www.americansweepsonline.com/blueberry/videos.asp

So Wombat wants some constructive criticism...

I guess I would have to say: Man up!! Shooting with at 12 gauge and you got a bruised arm?? :wall:

I've only shot a few times, and I guess holding the shotgun the wrong way would end up hurting pretty bad! Also, 75 shots is a lot, it probably stopped being as much fun towards the end...

Hopefully next time you'll do better (12/75 #-o) :twoguns:

I really hope the Move ends up being fun... having good responsive motion controls with PS3 graphics would be awesome, but we'll have to wait.

By the way, it does not use batteries, or at least that's what they said in one of the latest reports... Batteries would be a major disappointment.

When you guys mentioned FFXIII, i can't help but agree that when I play those type of RPG games, it is really nerdy but playing games like GOWIII or battlefield is not nerdy at all. Keep up the good work!

Great show guys. I don't mind that FF13 is very linear. One of the things i hate the most is having a giant sprawling world with no direction. Sometimes it's fine, but i'm a completionist so I like to do everything in a game.

Been listening to the podcast since episode #6. Great show it was good when it was Wombat and Cheapy, but adding Shipwreck has added another dimension. Keep it up and the live shows are entertaining, but interviews are really the best part. The Mass Effect interview was the best finished it for the 3rd time this week. Thank you for the show.

[quote name='Walt Jay']Kind of funny Amazon won all those Cheapy Awards and then pulled some shady stuff with the omnibus debacle.[/QUOTE]

What exactly is shady about giving people $25 credit when they couldn't honor SDers ordering hundreds of titles that were priced wrong?

Wombat, ignore the haters. You are part of what makes the cagcast awesome. For the show, I only hope that Boatcrash speaks up even more often because he plays more games than the other two hosts combined, and I enjoy his wry humor.

Hey if you guys do spoiler episodes you should do them as separate episodes or stick them on the end of the episode. You guys also need to get Mrs Shipwreck on once a month or something.

After the dissapointing boring and technical difficulties driven shows lately, this one shines like a star. Laughed a lot. Thank you.

i understand why you guys are bashing the playstation move but personally, i think it's great because I don't own a wii but i do have a ps3 and I would welcome something that would make my ps3 more family friendly without having to buy a wii. I'm not a hardcore wii type of person but it would be nice every now and then to have the option of having these family games without shelling out another 200 bucks

The intro music in this one made me think there was about to be some kind of CAG dance party.

Anyway, I like the idea of having game "round tables" every so often. You guys should try to continue doing it even after Bioshock 2...

Keep up the great work...looking forward to next week's show.

-bruce1448

I love the CAGCast. FF13 is linear, but it's also beautiful and fun to play. Battles are very fun. I liked the bit with the "Which ME Character are you?"

Always a funny podcast.

is it just me, or does it sound like for the third episode now, Wombat is still trying to reveal some sort of scamming aspect to Cheapy's cabinet situation....

i am unofficially positive that Wombat would enjoy infinite joy and entertainment ripping on Cheapy for being scammed, directly or indirectly....

i hope its dead now, but i guess theres no harm, other than raising Cheapys blood pressure...

Get your Portable ID!

Great show guys, I think the shipwreck cartoon should be added to the cagcast icon at least weeks he is on.

great show,

cheapy,

as regards to the speakers, yes try twisted pair wire it won't hurt, basically it's two wires twisted together. the radio stations are basically a changing electric field when you have standard speaker wire it like a giant loop of wire the changing electric field induces an opposing current. the smaller the loop the smaller the induced current. the twisted pair has tons of smaller loops, which are also oriented opposite from each other, so basically every pair of little loop's induced current cancels out the following loop.

perhaps a better solution is there are high frequency filters called a rf choke, which are basically little doughnuts of some type of ferrite ceramic. all you have to do is just loop the wire multiple times through the loop. to be overkill, put on at the beginning and end of each speaker wire. i think you can get them at radioshack in the US.

go here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balun, look at the picture with the caption "homemade 1:1"

here is something at radioshack, http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103222, just take some extra speakerwire, right before the speaker, wrap the wire around one half of this and then click it closed. you need at least one for every speaker, not sure about the woofer.

good luck

bread's done
Back