CAGcast #205: Steve Job

[quote name='MSUHitman']Link to Cheapy's debut article on G4TV.com. Of course someone in their comments (who claims to be a CAG) takes the chance to rip Cheapy and call him a 360 fanboy, showing why I never go to the site and just download their podcasts through their feeds on the Zune Marketplace.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/706169/This-Week-in-Game-Deals-July-11th-July-17th.html[/QUOTE]

That guy is an insane Microsoft hater who was banned from CAG. Good to know he is still Mel Gibson crazy.

[quote name='CheapyD']That guy is an insane Microsoft hater who was banned from CAG. Good to know he is still Mel Gibson crazy.[/QUOTE]

funny that he stuck with the same handle lol

Hey Ship

You should star interesting stuff for later on your newsreader. That way you won't miss it if it gets buried. I use google reader but I'm sure most readers have something like this. All of my starred stuff gets put in separate folder so stuff is easy to find.

On a different note, good show.

seriously i agree with wombat....blue moon is not!!!a womans beer and that was funny wombat mrs wreck is really a man!

[quote name='sublime90']seriously i agree with wombat....blue moon is not!!!a womans beer and that was funny wombat mrs wreck is really a man![/QUOTE]Watch Beer Wars on Netflix streaming. Blue Moon pretends to be an indie beer but it's really Coors pisswater. I've always maintained that any beer that requires you to add fruit to make it taste good is not actually good.

wow cheapy is an Apple fanboy. if he listened to music often I'm sure he'd have an ipod of every generation and model. oh and what's your opinion on that Evo HTC 4G phone vs iphone 4 video?

as wombat mentioned, I think the majority of listeners wouldn't mind the last 14 or so minutes of cagcast 204 to be redone.

so shipwreck is a fainter and one of those that gets anxiety attacks huh. did you ever pass out when playing a sport or something too?

I really hope it was just cheapy's tv/ps3 settings that made DS seem dark. I recall OoT for N64 to be dark on my old tv, maybe it would have been better if I played around with the tv's settings.

has shipwreck ever played a DQ game? I never have (save for the few monster pokemon esque ones) and am curious how IX (9) compares to others especially since it is the first main game to be on a handheld.

[quote name='banodyne']Watch Beer Wars on Netflix streaming. Blue Moon pretends to be an indie beer but it's really Coors pisswater. I've always maintained that any beer that requires you to add fruit to make it taste good is not actually good.[/QUOTE]

So lambics are crap?

[quote name='reddjoey']So lambics are crap?[/QUOTE]No, of course not. I'm talking about fruit after the fact. Corona served with limes. Blue Moon served with orange slices.

Unless you're drinking a hopp-heavy IPA or a beer dark and thick enough to be a meal, it's probably a woman's beer.

Just remember that swearing profusely, scratching your ballsack, and starting at least three fights maintains your manliness while drinking liquid estrogen.

Haven't listened to the whole show yet since I only have 30 minutes in the morning.

Shipwreck, please tell me you weren't reading your twitter responses while driving. :shame: Especially on a highway... how dangerous is that? We wouldn't want you to become "Carwreck".

The current CAG mobile site is not bad, but I have a couple of complaints. You can't set the number of messages per page for the mobile site only. It's annoying to have to scroll through 50 messages at a time on a small phone. Also, the social groups mobile site puts pictures all over the place so you don't know where to click. Other than that, it works pretty well on my phone (Samsung Behold).

Don't feel too bad about passing out, Ship. I'm the same way, but to a lesser extent. I've never actually passed out but I've come extremely close many times under similar circumstances.

My wife and I laughed pretty hard at Ship calling Wombat a woman for drinking Blue Moon.

In addition to Sunshine (New Belgium) and Easy Street (Odells), Blue Moon is most certainly the beer of choice of the ladies here in Fort Collins, CO. I think it has to do with the fact that they are often served with an orange or lemon slice, and that they have a bright and citrus flavor. Also, I think it has something to do with the fact that American wheats are light in comparison to their Belgium brethren.

Earn back your masculinity, Wombat, and try a nice IPA. I would recommend New Belgium, but they don't sell it there in New York.

[quote name='basston3s']My wife and I laughed pretty hard at Ship calling Wombat a woman for drinking Blue Moon.

In addition to Sunshine (New Belgium) and Easy Street (Odells), Blue Moon is most certainly the beer of choice of the ladies here in Fort Collins, CO. I think it has to do with the fact that they are often served with an orange or lemon slice, and that they have a bright and citrus flavor. Also, I think it has something to do with the fact that American wheats are light in comparison to their Belgium brethren.

Earn back your masculinity, Wombat, and try a nice IPA. I would recommend New Belgium, but they don't sell it there in New York.[/QUOTE]

I don't think Ship can give Wombat too much shit though, Boatcrash talked about drinking an MGD 64 or some other kind of "low carb" beer a while ago. I do wonder how many people know that Blue Moon is made by Coors though.

Wombat has talked about going to a Belgian Beer Bar in NYC before so at least he has had some good beer in the past.

Being a beer fan I'm jealous of you living in CO, especially in that area. So many good breweries there. I was in the Golden/Denver/Boulder area last month and stopped at Avery's tap house while I was there. Awesome stuff!

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']I don't think Ship can give Wombat too much shit though, Boatcrash talked about drinking an MGD 64 or some other kind of "low carb" beer a while ago. I do wonder how many people know that Blue Moon is made by Coors though.

Wombat has talked about going to a Belgian Beer Bar in NYC before so at least he has had some good beer in the past.

Being a beer fan I'm jealous of you living in CO, especially in that area. So many good breweries there. I was in the Golden/Denver/Boulder area last month and stopped at Avery's tap house while I was there. Awesome stuff![/QUOTE]

I totally forgot he was into MGD 64! That makes the situation that much more hilarious.

I love it here! We have Breweries in every direction. Avery is some good stuff. I would recommend Oskar Blues, Boulder Beer, and Left Hand to name a few.

[quote name='shipwreck']The MGD64 incident was merely because my father left some in the fridge.[/QUOTE]

And we had Blue Moon in the fridge from the party. Personally I am partial to Magic Hat, but that wasn't in the fridge.

You guys should know that your show gets pimped on the PLAYER ONE PODCAST like crazy. Those guys really respect your work and i just thought you should know. They even have a link to your podcast on their site. You guys should do something together!

[quote name='CheapyD']That guy is an insane Microsoft hater who was banned from CAG. Good to know he is still Mel Gibson crazy.[/QUOTE]

Reading those comments on G4 made me laugh. Good reading material.

Bluemoon is good stuff. You should drink Steele Reserve from the can.

Great podcast. I’m glad everything is back to normal. Cheapy I’m sorry for the comments I made two podcast ago, you have a great website and provide a lot to the show.

Thanks and keep up the great work everyone!

[quote name='bmulligan']Unless you're drinking a hopp-heavy IPA or a beer dark and thick enough to be a meal, it's probably a woman's beer.[/QUOTE] I would like to point out that I prefer Guiness Stout, but when it's 100 degrees you just can't drink that stuff like you can Blue Moon. On the Shipwreck passing out front, he usually only does it when anything medical is occurring. Or if I pretend to take his pulse - the idea of blood in his own veins makes him woozy. I once had an IV line put in after I got bit at work - the doctors were trying to clean the wound and all of a sudden they rush away to Ship who is clearly going to end up in a heap on the floor. That was fun.

Mrs. Shipwreck got bit by a Pikachu? Guys that open segment with the balls in the mouth was almost too much, I nearly stopped listening to this episode. but instead I just skipped ahead. Mom's right you need to talk about gamesnot bodily functions or medical conditions.

[quote name='Wombat']And we had Blue Moon in the fridge from the party. Personally I am partial to Magic Hat, but that wasn't in the fridge.[/QUOTE]

They just started getting Magic Hat here in FL. (At least more readily available, before you had to really hunt it down. 1 case or so in a 250 mile radius)

I think Wombat was on to something with the Mel Gibson, Chris Brown Lethal Weapon revival. Instead of 'Lethal Weapon: Comeback' though, they should call it 'Leathal Weapon: Backhand'.

As for the CagCast though, this is the second episode in a row where I left only being mildly amused. More poop talk, less formula please. As John Winger said, "It's the stories that you tell. So much fun and imagination. Lee Harvey, you are a madman..."

[quote name='CheapyD'][preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]It's hard for me to describe exactly what we talked about this week, beyond just telling you it was awesome. We've also got the latest gaming and shopping news, your CAGbag and Twitter questions and much more!

[podcast]114[/podcast]
Download - 90 minutes, 60MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

[/QUOTE]

Was a sudden surprise to hear Reykjavík called out by Wombat thats where I live and I never expected him to say it.

Q: Which console do you consider the best for the hardcore (e;Person who plays every blockbuster game) single player player ? Given that trophies and achievements, friends and controller dont matter. Ofcourse availability of exclusive games plays in. x)

Wombat ftw, Army of 2 story gold

[quote name='mrs. shipwreck']I would like to point out that I prefer Guiness Stout, but when it's 100 degrees you just can't drink that stuff like you can Blue Moon. On the Shipwreck passing out front, he usually only does it when anything medical is occurring. Or if I pretend to take his pulse - the idea of blood in his own veins makes him woozy. I once had an IV line put in after I got bit at work - the doctors were trying to clean the wound and all of a sudden they rush away to Ship who is clearly going to end up in a heap on the floor. That was fun.[/QUOTE]

so Guiness Stout is a woman's drink...CONFIRMED!

Maybe I am the only postal employee CAG? Thanks Pappa Shipwreck for your years of letter carrying service!!

I Love Blue Moon beer and so does my fiance' I mean It seems better out of the tap with the orange peel than when I get it from the bottle, although I think maybe it is the type of beer that needs to be poured in a glass and drank.

It is the perfect beer when you just want to have a couple to wind down, because with it being wheat it fills you up really fast.

P.S. really sad to hear about Alan Wake's bad sales. It would have been my game of the year by far if I had never picked up a title called Mass Effect 2. Cheapy is right, I also have a tough call between those with Mass Effect 2 getting the edge due to the shear amount of re-playability it has

Last edited by a moderator:
More stories would've been great. CheapyD talking about his lost iPhone was funny. What was less funny was how little he cares about expensive devices being lost according to his twitter

"Lost my iphone in a cab but I didn't want it anyway"

I don't know but that has a rich kid vibe to me. Like you can just throw away iphones and not worry about it. It's your stuff though.

I've never understood people that refuse to get a sports game because of the person on the cover. It's never made any sense why something so trivial could be such a big deal.

While I understand the point of defending Kotaku and all, they've changed a lot lately and it's becoming a worse blog each day. They even banned a ton of people that were critical of the site's direction before Crecente came to his senses about actually taking constructive criticism, which ironically gives them another chance to create another non-gaming post that will get hits. Is Ashcraft really that desperate to post stuff that he writes a lot about women, Japan, and people using twitter to get toilet paper to their stall?

It seems like it was a dumb decision to have Sessler do commentary for games he knew nothing about.

Harmonix has been talking for a long time about wanting to build up to the point where they can make a game that can be a tool for learning and appreciating music along with being a game.

Good show.

[quote name='LiK']funny that he stuck with the same handle lol[/QUOTE]
He came back with an alt account that was the same name with 2 on the end. He's not very bright.

Good show! I have to admit, though, I'm sad some of Wombat was cut on last week's show, he's usually my favorite part of the CAGcast :( Cheapy, you should go the extra mile next time to edit him back in.

I'm not sure if anyone else brought this up, but the new 360 has a proprietary hard drive. It makes zero sense to me, as the new 360's hard drive looks like the same setup the PS3 has, with the difference being that you don't have to pay Sony an insane markup and accept storage upgrades when they decide you're ready for them.

Also, I know not a lot of people are into Kinect, but my girlfriend is really interested in Dance Central and I'd love to get her a copy with Kinect, but without a confirmed standalone price, confirmation on what comes with Kinect, or any idea of what the price and contents of a 360 and Kinect bundle will be, I find it really hard to pull the trigger. I really don't want to pay $210 for Kinect and Dance Central, but I'd hate to buy a 360 Slim now and find out that the console comes with Kinect for a discounted price.

Overall, I just find myself really frustrated with Microsoft right now because it feels like whenever they make one step in the right direction they take two giant leaps back.

P.S. I just wanted to say that I loved Alan Wake, I gladly bought the $80 Limited Edition, and I was really hoping the game would have been successful enough to warrant something beyond just the first game and planned DLC. Like with Brutal Legend, the masses have ignored a game I love and crushed any hope I had of seeing said game expand beyond what is on the disc.

Was it me or did Cheapy let slip the real name of Mrs. Cheapy??? Man, you guys all went from Mrs. Shipwreck and Mrs. Wombat as if their real names were precious gold to name dropping like crazy. Which of course, if this was a Blizzard forum, I would obviously be at your house right now stalking.

Speaking of which, am I the ONLY ONE who thinks people are over reacting about this whole thing? From my point of view, in terms of how it might help forum accountability, its really up in the air at this point. It might help against trolling, it might not.

But to assume that, without a doubt, someone out there is going to get stalked and hunted down and probably raped or brutally murdered for forum comments... well I think that's a little ridiculous. Also, perhaps my details on the matter aren't the best, but having your real name on a forum doesnt exactly equate to your full name, address, social security number, current profession, bank account number, license plate number, and your kids' school locations being available as well.

And yet, everyone is talking as thought this move is equal to, beyond the shadow of a doubt, handing people 'license to stalk' passes. Could it be a slight exaggeration based on few details and a little thing Fox News likes to use called hyperbole and overexaggeration?

Okay Cheapy, we get it, you don't like Kotaku. Everyone gets it, you try to cover it up but its really obvious, and hey you have your reasons but I'd just ignore them if I was you. I also don't care to hear about all the stuff you buy. I think Shipwreck had the same sentiment. For a site based on saving people money, you sure to spend a lot. And lastly, Watching people play videos can be fun, Wombat, its like watching sports on TV. I play baseball and basketball but I like to see the professionals play also. Right now there is no distinction between the pros and us. So why watch someone play COD when I am better than them. Eventually stuff like this will get sorted out.

[quote name='Curufinwe']He's said it before.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, and Ship's said his wife's name lots of times before when they had CAG foreplay. People shouldn't be surprised whenever they mention their wive's names.

[quote name='basston3s']I totally forgot he was into MGD 64! That makes the situation that much more hilarious.

I love it here! We have Breweries in every direction. Avery is some good stuff. I would recommend Oskar Blues, Boulder Beer, and Left Hand to name a few.[/QUOTE]

I'm a big fan of Oskar Blues (esp. Ten Fidy). I was going to try to hit the O.B. brewery as well but just didn't have the time.

[quote name='shipwreck']The MGD64 incident was merely because my father left some in the fridge.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Wombat']And we had Blue Moon in the fridge from the party. Personally I am partial to Magic Hat, but that wasn't in the fridge.[/QUOTE]

Just giving you guys shit. I like Magic Hat #9 quite a bit.

To get back on topic, pretty good show this week. I'm one of those listeners that actually likes your personal stories and unrelated-to-gaming banter. The iPhone story and Ship's fainting episodes were both good stuff.

[quote name='Microshock']More stories would've been great. CheapyD talking about his lost iPhone was funny. What was less funny was how little he cares about expensive devices being lost according to his twitter

"Lost my iphone in a cab but I didn't want it anyway"

I don't know but that has a rich kid vibe to me. Like you can just throw away iphones and not worry about it. It's your stuff though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that tweet was a joke. I did everything possible to try to get it back.
However, I'm not going to cry over losing my 2 year old cellphone when I had already reserved it's replacement 2 weeks earlier.

Despite my boyish good looks, I'm about 20 years past being a kid.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I've never understood people that refuse to get a sports game because of the person on the cover. It's never made any sense why something so trivial could be such a big deal.
[/QUOTE]
Especially with all the sites offering custom covers you can print. It cost $1-$2 to get a full color print replacement done if you don't have a color printer.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']While I understand the point of defending Kotaku and all, they've changed a lot lately and it's becoming a worse blog each day.
[/QUOTE]
I have given up on them as well. I keep telling myself to remove them from my RSS reader, but never do. Just the other day they ran an article and completely flipped the facts despite restating them in the source link.

http://kotaku.com/5588417/ncaa-11-picks-alabama-for-the-national-title

The literally just fixed it.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It seems like it was a dumb decision to have Sessler do commentary for games he knew nothing about.
[/QUOTE]

Sessler is the big cheese and big draw over there now. He obviously underestimated the amount of working knowledge that was required. It was probably all part of the back-room deal to get on G4.

[quote name='loonknight']good show this week. I watched the live stream of evo tournament as well. It was a disappointment when the stream dropped (it did on two different occasions at least for me) but overall i thought it was a good start and i really hope to see it again. The marvel vs. Capcom 3 gameplay was really what i enjoyed the most outside of gamerbee's adon and watching markman handing out those gold arcade sticks.[/quote]

gold

[quote name='reddjoey']Sessler is the big cheese and big draw over there now. He obviously underestimated the amount of working knowledge that was required. It was probably all part of the back-room deal to get on G4.[/QUOTE]
The EVO/G4 people probably should've picked somebody better that wasn't going to be the dumb guy that can't add anything to the action. I don't think Sessler would be the kind of guy to force his way into the part, so I'd bet that he was a part of the G4 deal even though it backfired. They should just hire a special correspondent for this type of thing from now on.

[quote name='mrs. shipwreck']I would like to point out that I prefer Guiness Stout, but when it's 100 degrees you just can't drink that stuff like you can Blue Moon. On the Shipwreck passing out front, he usually only does it when anything medical is occurring. Or if I pretend to take his pulse - the idea of blood in his own veins makes him woozy. I once had an IV line put in after I got bit at work - the doctors were trying to clean the wound and all of a sudden they rush away to Ship who is clearly going to end up in a heap on the floor. That was fun.[/QUOTE]

Wow, not only can you get bit by a kinkajou and not pass out, but you like an excellent dark and full-bodied beer. Props to you Mrs. Ship.

This was one of the most entertaining Cagcasts for so many reasons I'm not going to list them.

But I do want to take my favorite CAGcaster a little bit to task. Wombat, what were you talking about when you said Tim Tebow wouldn't like Cheapy? I don't know Tim personally, but I know enough to say thats not likely true. Hopefully you didn't mean to say that Tim wouldn't like Cheapy because he is not: a Southerner, a Florida Gator, a home-schooler, or a Christian.

I'll just go ahead and say it, I'm not a New Yorker or Jewish (or agnostic) and that in no way prevents me from liking Cheapy either.

Oh and another thing. Xbox Pure FTW. I will now only refer to the previously unnamed 360 S as Pure. MS leaving it nameless now makes sense. They were just waiting until this came along. Its a 3-step genius plan: get Major Nelson on board, Xbox Pure, Kotaku coupon partner...come on vamonos! (those with young kids should get this)

[quote name='reddjoey']To continue to Kotaku hate:
http://kotaku.com/5588916/hack-your-nintendo-ds-for-easy-backups-and-single+cartridge+playback

I'm not going to go pro/against piracy or backups but, does a gaming blog really need to tell you this?

Cue in Wombat:[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't classify Kotaku as a gaming blog anymore... more like "that site that sometimes talks about games that are will do anything for page views".

http://kotaku.com/5589158/alabama-gamestops-spoofing-ncaa-11-tebow-cover

The article goes on to tell you though that the cover might be fake because Owen couldn't confirm it. So not only is it a stupid story, but it's a story that might not even be real? It's like throwing in Alabama + NCAA + Tebow will hope to generate some page views and get them linked elsewhere.

bread's done
Back