CAGcast #229: Throw Wombat from the Train

What's a high-paced adventure game, Shipwreck?

Telltale gave up on XBLA because they don't have the infrastructure in place to support monthly subscription/release schedule, so their games are only showing up on PSN for consoles now.

The team that made the Call of Juarez games are busy on the third game, so the people making Dead Island probably don't have that much crossover with the Call of Juarez team. That game has also been in the works for at least 4-5 years since IGN's earliest article on the game is from 2007, so they have a lot more to show if they're putting this game out later this year. The trailer was made by a Scottish animation studio that is also responsible for Killzone 2 and Mass Effect 2 trailers.

Cheapy, you need to change the controls in NBA 2K11 to an older control scheme, as the default controls are terrible. I wasn't having fun with the first few games before I made the switch to a different scheme and it became playable.

I also agree that calling this new tablet the PlayStation Tablet is just disingenuous when the device isn't made by SCE and won't get the same kind of support that SCE gives their own consoles. It's just laziness by Engadget and the other tech sites to just make huge assumptions and misrepresent these devices to their audiences.

I don't feel sorry at all for the Capcom fans that bought into the shit ton of costumes that they put out for SFIV and SSFIV to tell Capcom that they'll pay a lot of money for those costumes.

Decent show.

[quote name='JoeX111']Man, what a lifeless, unmotivated episode. I hate to say it, but Cheapy sounds totally uninterested in doing the show. Is he depressed? Is he suffering a malaise? Somebody get this man some coffee. I think if he cared any less, he might cease to exist. It was all Wombat could do to drag things along. The cagcast is one of the highlights of my late-week commute, but I definitely wasn't feeling the love this time. If you don't want to do the show, maybe it's better to just cancel for a week, rather than showing up unprepared and indifferent.[/QUOTE]

See, I thought this was one of their better episodes.

It was definitely more casual than it usually is, but I enjoyed that. To me it seemed like it was a slow news week and the guys were simply enjoying each other's company. I found it to be very entertaining.

Regarding all the PS3 "bashing".

I agree with everything you guys have said over the past month or so. Sony's online experience is horrible in my opinion. Their store interface is just the worst when it comes to usability and why on Earth do their downloads take seven times what the XBOX does. And it has looked the same ever since I can remember. It just baffles me.

Not to mention that I've had to have my system repaired twice now. Urgh...

But thanks for the entertainment.

There's nothing wrong with the PSN store. I have no more trouble finding stuff to buy on PSN than I do on the 360.

Downloads are the same speed for me on both systems.

Maybe it's time for Cheapy to take a break and get someone else for the show. It's pretty obvious he's just not into it anymore. Bring in a new host to go with Wombat and Shipwreck and just focus on the site for 6 months. Then if he misses it he can come back or just do some guest spots from time to time. The CAGcast can't be driving that much new traffic to the site at this point. Shake things up and get some of the old energy back.

Assuming that Cheapy thought Super Street Fighter IV was a $60 game. He kept referrencing the fact that it dropped in price quickly to $20.

Even though it started off at $40, it still didn't plummet to $20 as quickly as Cheapy described IIRC.

[quote name='JoeX111']Man, what a lifeless, unmotivated episode. I hate to say it, but Cheapy sounds totally uninterested in doing the show. Is he depressed? Is he suffering a malaise? Somebody get this man some coffee. I think if he cared any less, he might cease to exist. It was all Wombat could do to drag things along. The cagcast is one of the highlights of my late-week commute, but I definitely wasn't feeling the love this time. If you don't want to do the show, maybe it's better to just cancel for a week, rather than showing up unprepared and indifferent.[/QUOTE]

I'm in complete agreement with this. To me, it seemed as if things started going downhill the week before the short show.

I really have nothing negative to say about shipwreck - he's entitled to not be super-human-game-playing guy once in a while.

Wombat on the other hand is more interested in hearing himself talk (often times mispeaking) than he is in helping to make the show more interesting. Relatedly, Wombat is more interested in the prospect of making money off of the show than he is in making the show entertaining. Fine you want to profit from something that you do in your spare time. I get that, but don't remind the listeners about that. It's annoying and off putting. Similarly, your excitement that the cool kids in school finally know your name made me want to bang my head against the wall.

Cheapy, while he was certainly never the Apollo Creed of podcasts, he does seem to be pressing for the show to be over as soon as possible.

[quote name='MikeE021286']Assuming that Cheapy thought Super Street Fighter IV was a $60 game. He kept referrencing the fact that it dropped in price quickly to $20.

Even though it started off at $40, it still didn't plummet to $20 as quickly as Cheapy described IIRC.[/QUOTE]

Dude, he was exaggerating. But if anything he was spot on. SF4 drops at $60, then $40, then $20. Then SSF comes at $40 then $20.....its crap. So 2 games and 5 price drops in year time frame. That is quick.

[quote name='bgame2']I'm in complete agreement with this. To me, it seemed as if things started going downhill the week before the short show.

Wombat on the other hand is more interested in hearing himself talk (often times mispeaking) than he is in helping to make the show more interesting. Relatedly, Wombat is more interested in the prospect of making money off of the show than he is in making the show entertaining. Fine you want to profit from something that you do in your spare time. I get that, but don't remind the listeners about that. It's annoying and off putting. Similarly, your excitement that the cool kids in school finally know your name made me want to bang my head against the wall.
.[/QUOTE]

Although making some extra cash is always nice, I have always put entertainment value as number one. Sometimes before facts, but entertainment is alway my top priority, usually for laughs. And why is it bad that they were happy to see me, should I not care? Is that the cool thing to do?

The CAGCast is my favorite gaming podcast by far. What makes it good is that there are no game journalists on it. There are good game journalist podcasts out there that don't preach, but give solid news and talk about what makes gaming fun. The CAGCast is the opposite, first fun & games, then news and deals.

We should all be thankful that Cheapy, Wombat and Shipwreck give us their time each week. And, if Wombat can make some more money off it, then more power to him.

Keep up the great work. And, don't stop making me laugh.

Umm, did everyone miss the part where I said I had no issue with Wombat wanting to make money? I have an issue with him reminding us about it. To me that detracts from the non-game journalist persona that shajek referred to. (a few posts above)

Wombat has always had the support of the listeners because of that persona. Hell I even defended him for being "really loud" last year at E3 when cheapy blasted him. His loudness to me translated into excitement. That's part of that non-game journalist persona that makes Wombat fun to listen to (even if he does interrupt Shipwreck every 20 seconds).

That said, when he starts name dropping for minutes on end, he seems to be more interested in being accepted by N'Gai Croal than the people that have been listening to him for several years. If we cared about N'Gai Croal, we'd be listening to or reading stuff by him. We want to hear what you think Wombat, not about who you saw.

In so obviously seeking to be a member of the cool kids, Wombat becomes less of the lovable dork that makes him so unique. If you're reading this Wombat, hopefully you can at least understand my point, even if you don't agree with it. To your listeners you already were the cool kid.

If people want to bash PS3, if you bought the new MMO DC Universe, apparently that works on your user id and you can't trade it in and make another account for that disk. I think it's nasty for people if you want to try it for a few months, then want to move on, you really can't.

Awesome show, I'm getting You Don't know Jack via gamefly next week on PS3, people can hit me up next week and I'd love to play with others besides my wife. Not sure how long the fun will be.

[quote name='davidb69']If people want to bash PS3, if you bought the new MMO DC Universe, apparently that works on your user id and you can't trade it in and make another account for that disk. I think it's nasty for people if you want to try it for a few months, then want to move on, you really can't.[/QUOTE]
How is that different from every other MMO? You can easily move on by cancelling your subscription and move on.

I know these guys take some heat for their occasional personality conflicts, but after listening to months worth of back episodes, I think that's kind of this show's charm. They're normal, funny guys who feel no need to be professional (read: dry) because they're not journalists.

Seriously, after Wombat threatened to walk after the E3 episode, I figured I wouldn't listen anymore. But I'd feel the same way if Cheapy or Shipwreck quit. These guys have a fun, entertaining dynamic that I just haven't found anywhere else.

Cheapy, In regards to coming to Ohio and eating with Shipwreck. I think he should refer you to Skyline Chili, since he is in the Cincinnati area. I mean who doesn't love a good wiener on a bun, with (no beans) chili, and a mound of cheese! :)

[quote name='bgame2']Umm, did everyone miss the part where I said I had no issue with Wombat wanting to make money? I have an issue with him reminding us about it. To me that detracts from the non-game journalist persona that shajek referred to. (a few posts above)

Wombat has always had the support of the listeners because of that persona. Hell I even defended him for being "really loud" last year at E3 when cheapy blasted him. His loudness to me translated into excitement. That's part of that non-game journalist persona that makes Wombat fun to listen to (even if he does interrupt Shipwreck every 20 seconds).

That said, when he starts name dropping for minutes on end, he seems to be more interested in being accepted by N'Gai Croal than the people that have been listening to him for several years. If we cared about N'Gai Croal, we'd be listening to or reading stuff by him. We want to hear what you think Wombat, not about who you saw.

In so obviously seeking to be a member of the cool kids, Wombat becomes less of the lovable dork that makes him so unique. If you're reading this Wombat, hopefully you can at least understand my point, even if you don't agree with it. To your listeners you already were the cool kid.[/QUOTE]

I just relistened to the name dropping segment and I think you missed the point. There were 2 things I wanted to do;

1. Highlight some people you may not know like Russ, Tracey & Chris. Not me wanting to feel cool, but the opposite, making others feel cool.

2. To lead Cheapy into talking about HipHopGamer, because that makes Cheapy happy.

Knowing this re-listen to the segment, and let me know what you think.

I listen to a few video game podcasts. The CAGcast, The Bombcast, Mobcast, Rebel FM, and the Gamespy Debriefings (which in the past month has become unbearable). Out of all of those, I never miss an episode of the Cagcast or the Bombcast (and out of these two I like the Cagcast the best).

I just wanted to give you guys props after reading a lot of this negativity.

Great show guys...Wombat calling Cheapy a douche-face really made my day:applause:
Anyway....I can't decide whether to buy Bulletstorm with the Gears of War 3 beta for my son's X-box360, or Killzone 3 for my Playstation3(both release on 2/22/11 and I have a 1 game per month budget....what do you guys think.

Thanks,
ControlerBreaker

P.S.
Wombat....wanna see my coin collection?

Rotating hosts and each show thread begins with a poll to rate the show. Some sort of contest with the best-rated host getting a prize. Could be listener funded.

Hearing the 'F' Word during online games makes me chuckle being from the UK. I do love to eat $$$$$$s, as they are actually kind of meat balls in gravy over here. And us Brits do like to smoke a $$$ too.

Silly Americans censoring a non offensive word in the uk :p

4$$$$$$s.jpg

[quote name='Wombat']I just relistened to the name dropping segment and I think you missed the point. There were 2 things I wanted to do;

1. Highlight some people you may not know like Russ, Tracey & Chris. Not me wanting to feel cool, but the opposite, making others feel cool.

2. To lead Cheapy into talking about HipHopGamer, because that makes Cheapy happy.

Knowing this re-listen to the segment, and let me know what you think.[/QUOTE]

You've got it Wombat. Maybe putting it into the intended perspective will make me hear it differently.

Thanks for taking the time to consider my comments (that is not sarcasm). As a loyal listener, knowing that the comments matter is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's quite of few Japanese people in Ohio. Honda has several factories as well as other Japanese 'heavy industry' firms. Big expat community.

Man I could just feel the disgust from Cheapy and Shipwreck when Wombat said he got some free swag from EA. I don't understand the hate for him everytime.

While I don't personally know Wombat but from listening to the show for over 3 years I can tell the guy is just generally excited about games and things. I think you are too hard on him sometimes. I for one don't blame him for getting all the free stuff he wants. Without him going to these events, how else would all of us know about the games he saw. He is giving up his family time for it and we all benefit, so why shouldn't he?

[quote name='Kezmer']Man I could just feel the disgust from Cheapy and Shipwreck when Wombat said he got some free swag from EA. I don't understand the hate for him everytime.

While I don't personally know Wombat but from listening to the show for over 3 years I can tell the guy is just generally excited about games and things. I think you are too hard on him sometimes. I for one don't blame him for getting all the free stuff he wants. Without him going to these events, how else would all of us know about the games he saw. He is giving up his family time for it and we all benefit, so why shouldn't he?[/QUOTE]

It's not disgust. It's good-natured ribbing. I have an EA backpack on the table behind me as I'm typing this.

[quote name='shipwreck']It's not disgust. It's good-natured ribbing. I have an EA backpack on the table behind me as I'm typing this.[/QUOTE]
Yeah but is there a BULLETSTORM NUTCRACKER inside that pathetic EA fanny pack?! I didn't think so.

[quote name='ControlerBreaker']Great show guys...Wombat calling Cheapy a douche-face really made my day:applause:
Anyway....I can't decide whether to buy Bulletstorm with the Gears of War 3 beta for my son's X-box360, or Killzone 3 for my Playstation3(both release on 2/22/11 and I have a 1 game per month budget....what do you guys think.

Thanks,
ControlerBreaker

P.S.
Wombat....wanna see my coin collection?[/QUOTE]

There's a Bulletstorm and Killzone 3 Demo on the PSN and there's also a Bulletstorm Demo on Xbox Live. Why not try them both out and see which one you like more?

I found the Killzone 3 Beta to be fantastic and that's the one I'm getting, but to each his own.

100k listeners? you can get that. Just tell 3 people and have them tell 3 people then have those 3 people tell 3 more people, then you will have 27 and that's close enough.

[quote name='shipwreck']It's not disgust. It's good-natured ribbing. I have an EA backpack on the table behind me as I'm typing this.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I was hoping it was just ribbing. I just remember Cheapy groaning after he asked if he got anything. I am not sure why, but it just stood out to me for some reason.

[quote name='Kezmer']I was hoping it was just ribbing. I just remember Cheapy groaning after he asked if he got anything. I am not sure why, but it just stood out to me for some reason.[/QUOTE]

This was the funniest part of the show for me.

I've listened to the CAGCAST for about a year now, and this episode really made me want to post. Specifically, I wanted to highlight what Cheapy said about "losing the eye of the tiger" as it's become more and more obvious as the weeks go by. If you listen closely, Cheapy just moans and groans through every episode as if can't wait for it to end. This worries me as Cheapy is really the soul of this podcast. Wombat and Ship are cool sidekicks, but they clearly don't have the personality to carry the show's weight. We need you back Cheapy!!!!

So in that light, here are my suggestions to make the podcast better:

1. Eliminate the new releases segment: I feel it's just a monologue where Ship talks about obscure games, while Cheapy and Wombat just zone out.

2. More personal stories! I love episodes where Cheapy talks about his life in Japan, Wombat talks about a his train being delayed by crazy people jumping in front of them. Go crazy guys, many days this is a lot more interesting that the actual games talk.

3. Go into all of the detail of what it's like to visit a press event: I feel many us listen to games media because in secret we'd love to live the life or being paid to play games. Many times, it's more interesting to hear about all of the details of the trip vs. the shitty games the company announced which usually you can't even talk about anyways. Talk about the trip process, the after parties, the rumors, the small talk you had with other games journalists, the food, everything, we want to know it all.

4. More Guests: Mix things up, Cheapy, why don't you invite Mark McDonald to you house and have him weight on the news, or if HipHop gamer is so interesting, bring him on the show!

5. Deep dive game discussions: RebelFM recently did a 3 episode discussion on Dead Space 2. I loved it, why, because I don't have time to play games anymore, but I feel like I'm playing the game through their experiences. I'm not saying the Cagcast should do this exact thing, but maybe talking about games that all of you have played would be interesting.

6. Read more listener mail and comments (make sure to get the listener's name correct), make us feel like your care and interact with the listeners. We want to be part of the experience, and hey, if you mention people's names it makes people feel part of the club and keeps them coming back.

What do other listeners think? I'd love for us to give more suggestions.

Cheers
-tobiaz

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tobiaz']I've listened to the CAGCAST for about a year now, and this episode really made me want to post. Specifically, I wanted to highlight what Cheapy said about "losing the eye of the tiger" as it's become more and more obvious as the weeks go by. If you listen closely, Cheapy just moans and groans through every episode as if can't wait for it to end. This worries me as Cheapy is really the soul of this podcast. Wombat and Ship are cool sidekicks, but they clearly don't have the personality to carry the show's weight. We need you back Cheapy!!!!

So in that light, here are my suggestions to make the podcast better:

1. Eliminate the new releases segment: I feel it's just a monologue where Ship talks about obscure games, while Cheapy and Wombat just zone out.

2. More personal stories! I love episodes where Cheapy talks about his life in Japan, Wombat talks about a his train being delayed by crazy people jumping in front of them. Go crazy guys, many days this is a lot more interesting that the actual games talk.

3. Go into all of the detail of what it's like to visit a press event: I feel many us listen to games media because in secret we'd love to live the life or being paid to play games. Many times, it's more interesting to hear about all of the details of the trip vs. the shitty games the company announced which usually you can't even talk about anyways. Talk about the trip process, the after parties, the rumors, the small talk you had with other games journalists, the food, everything, we want to know it all.

4. More Guests: Mix things up, Cheapy, why don't you invite Mark McDonald to you house and have him weight on the news, or if HipHop gamer is so interesting, bring him on the show!

5. Deep dive game discussions: RebelFM recently did a 3 episode discussion on Dead Space 2. I loved it, why, because I don't have time to play games anymore, but I feel like I'm playing the game through their experiences. I'm not saying the Cagcast should do this exact thing, but maybe talking about games that all of you have played would be interesting.

6. Read more listener mail and comments (make sure to get the listener's name correct), make us feel like your care and interact with the listeners. We want to be part of the experience, and hey, if you mention people's names it makes people feel part of the club and keeps them coming back.

What do other listeners think? I'd love for us to give more suggestions.

Cheers
-tobiaz[/QUOTE]

Best. Post. Ever.

Cheapy - I just wanted to let you know that I just spilled coffee all over myself thanks to you. I was lifting my mug up to take a sip and I heard your suggestion for the Hip-Hop Gamer to be 'over the top' and you yelled "Killzone 3 goes whooooo!" and I started to tremor with laughter and my coffee went everywhere. As always, great episode guys.

I disagree with tobaiz. . . KEEP IT GAME FOCUSED. If you want to hear a video game podcast that has moved away from being game focused, listen to the IGN Gamespy Debriefings. It is crap. If i want to listen to funny life stories i would rather listen to Opie and Anthony. I listen to the Cagcast for videogame news and reviews.

Shipwreck. . . to solve your You Don't Know Jack problem.

Put your controller on your coffee table and pick it up to answer. this way you have a 1 second delay over your wife (who keeps the controller in her hand).

[quote name='Maklershed']Cheapy - I just wanted to let you know that I just spilled coffee all over myself thanks to you. I was lifting my mug up to take a sip and I heard your suggestion for the Hip-Hop Gamer to be 'over the top' and you yelled "Killzone 3 goes whooooo!" and I started to tremor with laughter and my coffee went everywhere. As always, great episode guys.[/QUOTE]

One of the best meme back in the day!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK18wQA-tHs

I agree with most of the points tobiaz made, except for point 1 about the new releases. I like hearing their opinions on new game releases, if they happen to have an opinion.

About garyu69's post, hilarious. :) I thought the other 'f' word meant "cigarettes", didn't know about the meatballs.

Man, that train incident sounds like it would cause nightmares. I remember seeing the aftermath of a car crash as a kid. When I saw it, the cops were already there cleaning up and had a sheet over the victim. But I saw one of the cops lifting up the sheets and the sheet was covered with blood. Scary. Now when I cross the street, I constantly look both ways and listen for cars.

I've been trying to figure it out all day and its driving me nuts. I tried every google search term imaginable besides the title of the movie itself. It showed up in an email i get from 4gifs every morning.

If anyone knows please give some insight.

Cheapys getting bored, Wombat is butt hurt everytime Cheapy jokes around, and Shipwreck... Actually Ships fine...

Worst part is that a mediocre Cagcast is still the best podcast out there, so I'll be listening no matter what.. :p

Still though. Wombat really needs to chill out. Cheapys just playing around. No need to be like "thats not nice. Aww ur hurting my feelings". Its starting to get like that E3 cagcast (the most ridiculously sensitive reaction to ballbusting ever). Learn how to take a joke.

[quote name='yobak3r']Cheapys getting bored, Wombat is butt hurt everytime Cheapy jokes around, and Shipwreck... Actually Ships fine...

Worst part is that a mediocre Cagcast is still the best podcast out there, so I'll be listening no matter what.. :p

Still though. Wombat really needs to chill out. Cheapys just playing around. No need to be like "thats not nice. Aww ur hurting my feelings". Its starting to get like that E3 cagcast (the most ridiculously sensitive reaction to ballbusting ever). Learn how to take a joke.[/QUOTE]

yeah but in that e3 cagcast he got royaly raped by cheapy and shipwreck over how its "unprofessional" to take free stuff and now any time he mentions getting any cheapy starts up on him again. its pretty hyprocritical for a number of reasons more than that though who the fuck wouldnt take free shit if offered?

its one thing if you go from booth to booth begging for free stuff but if its given to you why say no ? like someone else mentioned hes taking time out to go to these thiings and bring back info from them for the show which is more than cheapy does when hes not whining about being lonely or wishing he could get high.

add to that the fact the guy has his wife right next to him when theyre starting in on him and who wouldnt take it personal or get defensive?

[quote name='skadave']I could be completely wrong but is it 30 Days of Night?[/QUOTE]

i was thinking it could be but i dont recall that scene from the movie unless theyve made more since that one. i also wondered if it wasnt that foreign santa claus horror flick but i cant recall that name either. whatever the name that video footage looks interesting.

[quote name='firstadopter']What's the name of the nerd ? podcast with 100,000 listeners, I couldn't make out the exact name. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Hello Firstadopter, here is the podcast they mentioned:
http://www.nerdist.com/category/podcast/, it's a comedy podcast aimed at geeks. It's so so, they have some celebrity comics on once in a while.

From wikipedia:
"The Nerdist Podcast is a weekly interview show hosted by Web Soup host Chris Hardwick who is usually accompanied by Jonah Ray and Matt Mira. The audio podcasts are typically an hour in length and interview notable comedians or entertainers, usually at their own home.[1] The show was recorded live April 5, 2010, at the Largo in Los Angeles, with guest Adam Savage of MythBusters.[2] Interviews have included Rob Zombie, Bill Maher, and Drew Carey. The show launched February 8, 2010."

I'd be interested in what gaming related podcasts everyone here listens to, here's my list in no particular order:
CAGcast
Gamers with Jobs - Conference Call
GameSpy Debriefings
Geekbox
Giant Bombcast
A Life Well Wasted
Out of the Game
Rebel FM
The Totally Rad Show
Weekend Confirmed
8-4 Play

What other good ones are there? What am I missing?

Cheers!

bread's done
Back