CAGcast #274: A Journey Worth Taking?

I'm glad that Cheapy mentioned the ME3 problem. I've got a custom character that I've used through both games, so I want that to work. Glad I held off from a launch purchase.

Great show guys. I laughed at the end because it reminded me of Wombot. I just wanted to share something unrelated, if I could. My sister-in-law, Heather Andrews, who was 33, passed away last month due to complications to brain surgery. She had a disease known as Chiari. She was one of a handful certified female solar electricans in the United States. As trubute to my sister-in-law, I got a tattoo of Supergirl, a solar-power super heroine. I figured Wombat would get a kick out of that. (PS, this isn't for the contest. I'd hate to win something based on my sister's death. I just wanted to share.)

[quote name='Decepticreep']Great show guys. I laughed at the end because it reminded me of Wombot. I just wanted to share something unrelated, if I could. My sister-in-law, Heather Andrews, who was 33, passed away last month due to complications to brain surgery. She had a disease known as Chiari. She was one of a handful certified female solar electricans in the United States. As trubute to my sister-in-law, I got a tattoo of Supergirl, a solar-power super heroine. I figured Wombat would get a kick out of that. (PS, this isn't for the contest. I'd hate to win something based on my sister's death. I just wanted to share.)[/QUOTE]

Damn way too young, and sorry for your loss...great way to remember her though.

Glad to see a show this week, thank you! Might I suggest Wombat+Shipwreck do a show while Cheapy has to watch his son on weird Japanese holidays, then send him the audio to edit/post at his leisure? They did 1 or 2 CAG Foreplay together and I thought it worked fine.

The 3 of you should really have a more in-depth discussion on (some, not all) DLC, paid avatar shirts/hats, etc, and how it's lame. The topic may sound like it's beaten to death, but some of us still don't want to just roll over and accept it. It's become the "norm" and I don't like it. Cheapy was upset about his Season Pass for good reason, but it's happening to a lot of games now. What if Chobot Robot was Day 1 paid DLC that was on the disc? It's not too far off considering what has happened lately.

As for the clip at the end of the show Cheapy added on, thanks for that reminder. That is one large reason the Wii and DS are the way they are for online & friend codes, and will be interesting how the WiiU will handle it. Nintendo wants to shield their customers, because well angry moms are scarey.

If anyone else doesn't remember, or didn't listen to the podcast episodes (back in 2009?). Microsoft actually got in contact with Wombat to work the situation out. In fact I think it was the same person who just recently got fired in their banning division if I'm remembering right, oh the irony. Or did Cheapy plan that on purpose?

Great show this week. I was a bit surprised when CheapyD didn't just remake his character model. If you're really excited about a game how do you let something that minor stop you? Importing a character from ME2 isn't even perfect and will probably require some tweaks anyway.

It was a little weird not having Wombat on the show, but it was a bit more enjoyable than usual. I find that he likes to add contentious opinions just for the sake of discussion and that can get a bit annoying. The humor that he brings to the show is what I really enjoy. I'm glad you included that clip about Wombat being on the Gamer Spotlight. It brought back good memories hearing that kid tell Wombat "You suck at gameeeessss. You suck at gameeeessss."

P.S. I'd be happy to win SFxT because I already own ME3.

It's amazing that both Mass Effect 3 and Street Fighter x Tekken have serious bugs at launch. I refuse to play Mass Effect 3 until I am able to import my character, and there is Street Fighter x Tekken with it's terrible online.

Anyway, great show. Wombat's Gamer Spotlight experience was one of my favorite moments of the CAGcast. It really shows just how awful people can be on the internet. I'm glad Wombat was able to record the audio messages he got and put them on the show.

When I first played the Mass Effect 3 demo I just created my guy and wrote down the code so I could easily go to the game and fix anything I saw with my ME2 Shepard. I still cant get the cheekbones right.

And Mass Effect 3's ending really soured me on the whole series. I wont spoil anything but just leave expectations low for the end. I loved all of Mass Effect 3 until that ending. So just be prepared guys.

Great CAgcast as usual though!

[quote name='ChicoChanqlueta']And Mass Effect 3's ending really soured me on the whole series. I wont spoil anything but just leave expectations low for the end. I loved all of Mass Effect 3 until that ending. So just be prepared guys.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It retroactively made my decisions feel meaningless and completely sapped all of my desire to go through the game again with my alternate Shepards, despite the first 99.99% of the game being a great experience. It's why I'm here now instead of playing more Mass Effect 3. "Leave expectations low for the end" is a bit of an understatement, in my opinion.

If it wasn't so depressing, it would be funny how such a great game falls flat on its face just minutes before crossing the finish line. The ending seems to be almost unanimously hated on the BioWare forums. There is already a 639 page (at the time of this post) thread of complaints about it full of people wanting BioWare to give it a better (in quality, if not necessarily in outcome) ending in a patch or DLC... with many even offering to pay for an alternate ending DLC if necessary.

The worst part, in my opinion, is that there was a touching moment between two characters right before the ridiculous twist that they could have used as a nice stopping point. That just makes how close they came even more disheartening. If they had just cut it off right there and maybe tacked on an epilogue montage of how your actions influenced the galaxy, the ending would have been so much better (though still not perfect).

Popped my CAGcast cherry with this episode. Never tuned in before, but listened to this one from beginning to end. Felt just like I was B.S.ing with close gamer friends the whole time. You've now got another CAGcast subscriber! Cheapy's Jewish joke was definitely the highlight.

A pro bono copy of ME3 would be the classy way to complete your taking my CAGcast virginity.

Oh geez, Mass Effect 3 spoilers are everywhere!

I probably won't play the game for at least a year so I'm treading very lightly around the internet. Thanks for not spoiling stuff on the podcast though, guys.

Guess I'm going back into my sensory deprivation tank.

Great show as always, but like everyone else, it's just not the same with my fellow left handed buddy known as Wombat. It does sound like Cheapy was a bit more lively in this episode, perhaps since Wombat wasn't around he felt that he needed to crank up the humor.

If this get's attention, I'd love a copy of "fighting" by Capcom.

Wow - I didn't think you guys would ever do a show without Wombat. His humorous asides were missed, but I appreciate that Cheapy and Shipwreck spent some time talking about Vita games. I'm sort of in Cheapy's situation where I am hardly ever on the road, so I don't need a portable system, but I'm still interested since JRPGs and Japanese-developed action/adventure games are my favorite genres. I picked up my $5 cheapass copy of Mass Effect 2 for PS3 at Best Buy, so I'd love a free Mass Effect 3 to go with it.

Perhaps I'm the only one to notice this, but it seems that without Wombat the show becomes more gaming oriented with less diversions. Cheapy and Ship were commenting on games and covering the latest news at a quicker and more succinct pace than probably any other gaming podcast I've listened to over the years. It's no secret that Shipwreck is the most dedicated gamer of the group and you have to wonder if he held more influence in Wombat's absence. It seems that maybe Wombat is the best at looking at the gaming industry as a whole, but might not be as into playing them as Shipwreck and Cheapy D. Anyway, love the podcast in general and was glad that you guys still put out a show. I'd rather listen to a show with one guy out than go a week without it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its always better to have a CAGcast than to not have one; however, this episode felt a little dry without Wombat's humor. Also, I stick by my criticism from last week: The CAGcast carries the CAG name but rarely discusses video game and system deals. Cheapy used to highlight a few deals each show but I feel he has gotten away from that. Does anyone else miss the deals highlights we used to get in the show? Overall though the video game talk was good. Wombat, I hope you had fun in Florida and look forward to your return to the CAGcast.

I hate the whole discussion of game length versus value. No other entertainment medium does this crap. If a concert ticket costs $50 and it's three hours long, is it a bad value if you enjoyed those three hours? Would Journey somehow be better if it was bloated and six hours long?

I played Journey once and I'll play it several more times over the next few years. (Not because I need some stupid collectible to consider a game replayable, but because it's fun, go figure!) It was worth $15 for the first trip alone, because it was unlike anything I've ever done in a game. The subsequent trips will be a bonus.

Great show, but I have to say I missed the Wombat factor. The extra bit about his experience was welcome, however disheartening. Could have been worse, I suppose. You guys could have released it as DLC for the podcast.

I wanted to put in a vote from the last podcast for doing a live show in L.A. Like Wombat said only true listeners would show up as well!

Show suggestion: Alternate between 3 hosts having 2 hosts per episode (possibly 2 shows per week); after each full rotation do a threesome. Seems like with 3 hosts there's always a third wheel during each topic.

Hope I win the giveaway ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Loved the show although it was strange to hear conversations between Ship and Cheapy with good old Wombat breaking the tension with his big personality :D

If you didn't get the collector's edition of Mass Effect 3 and are interested most in the conversations/story of the game, you must get the From Ashes DLC. Unlike Zaeed and Kasumi, after you complete the mission to get the character, you will have awesome conversations at different points and locations with him throughout the game. No spoilers, but the one on the Citadel is particularly great. Definitely worth the 10 bucks if you are a fan.

[quote name='zebwinz']If you didn't get the collector's edition of Mass Effect 3 and are interested most in the conversations/story of the game, you must get the From Ashes DLC. Unlike Zaeed and Kasumi, after you complete the mission to get the character, you will have awesome conversations at different points and locations with him throughout the game. No spoilers, but the one on the Citadel is particularly great. Definitely worth the 10 bucks if you are a fan.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, good to know.

I had to chuckle when Kasumi talked about me including her in a suicide mission, seeing as I didn't add her to the squad until after the team had completed the mission.

It was rather rude to put Wombat in charge of picking the game winners from this show. The dude is on vacation, yet you make him come back to extra homework! Plus, since he wasn't on this show, he'll have no interest in reading these comments. Poor Wombat!

But, since I want "Fighting from Capcom", here's my comment:

The talk about Journey is giving me severe deja vu of my experience with Limbo. It was unique and compelling while it lasted, but ultimately it felt like a demo some guy made and brought to a studio to get funding to make a complete game, and instead they just decided to release it as is. I guess I'm glad my PS3 is broken so I don't have to debate buying it right now.

Hey Guys,

I wanted to talk about end part with Wombat. You are 100% accurate when you say the death of online is coming from the asshats on the mics. I use to online games all the time and recently I just lost interest. I dont understand why people have to be such a-holes about everything. I have always been pretty good at online shooters, but I find it more interesting to hang out with my Girlfriend or play single player games, where I know I wont be called a homosexual term or a racist slur. It just isnt fun anymore to go online especially if you dont know the game all that well. The thing that is more shocking to me is that these people are going out of their ways to insult you and literally know nothing about you, you just happened to be promoted for some reason. Why are they so angry at you, you didnt self promote yourself, you didnt beat them at a game, they just hate. Well my two cents. Luckily there are great games to play out their where I wont be insulted, well except by my girl when I fail.

LOL
Ricky

Throwing my hat in for Mass Effect 3, if only so I can use one of the following headlines in the review I will write (in my head):

1) "Mass Effect? More like MISS Effect!"

2) "Mass Effect? More like KISS-MY-ASS Effect!"

3) "Mass Effect? More like PENIS FARTKNOCKERS!"

Great show, and i have to give you guys props for giving praise to a PS3 exclusive!! It would have been nice though if you could have just recommended the game instead of complaining about the game length. The game devs have come out making a valid point that the game doesn't have any filler stuff unlike other longer titles. Many games especially RPGS have you repeating the same actions over and over again. I rather be thrilled nonstop for a smaller game length.

Also, I read reports that it is a 2-3 hour game.

Good show this week. I think it worked out fine without Wombat, just like it works out fine when Shipwreck is on vacation. (Probably wouldn't work with just Wombat and Ship without Cheapy, though... or would it?).

I enjoyed all the game discussion - this episode seemed more focused on games and less on random speculation about stuff, which was a plus for me.

Also, I'd love to get a copy of Mass Effect 3 for PS3. I have yet to experience the Mass Effect universe, and I guess I'm missing out.

Was Cheapy's story about Peter Molyneux actually Wombat's Tim Schafer is a douche story with the names changed, as promised? If so, very sneaky telling it on a show that Wombat wasn't even on. :applause:

Good show. I think Cheapy illustrated a good point when he mentioned how he pays for episodes of PBS's Frontline. In an age where pirating is commonplace, it's nice to see someone opting to purchase something that is otherwise free, in an effort to support the people behind it.

Speaking of free, I'm interested in the Street Fighter v. Tekken.

Well, here is my attempt to win the copy of ME3. I have been a loyal listener since around episode 75 (I even went back and listened to some older ones). I've only commented on the CAGcast a few times and that was usually to defend Wombat when people got a little crazy with their comments. Having said that, there is one thing that Wombat continues to do that bothers me (and it sounds like it annoys the crap out of Cheapy). Stop suggesting that you guys do a live show. Cheapy has never seemed even remotely interested in doing one but you bring it up every chance you get. Honestly, that is my only complaint and I look forward to new episodes every week. Thanks!

I know that you guys didn't want to talk too specifically about Journey, but I wish you could have used a few more words to describe it aside from "great" and "short," the latter being used something like 20 times! It's fine to discuss length of playtime because that matters to some people, but it should almost never be the main discussion topic of any game. I'd love to play more Journey, as well, but the game didn't feel too short to me at all. It left such an impression on me that I would have paid $30 for the same experience.

Also I really think some musical queues to break up the segments of the podcast would be great. I'm sure there are some musically-inclined people in the community who would be glad to create some unique music stingers for CAG.

I'd love to receive Fighting, from Capcom. It's good to know they're getting back to basics, dropping all the Championships, Turbos and Supers.

I was able to import my ME1 (+DLC)/ME2 (+DLC) multiple play through save without issues (default Shep).

As for the From Ashes ME3 DLC, I think it's pretty awesome and should have been included in the full game so everyone can experience it. Javik, the Prothean squad mate is really good, and I enjoy most of his dialogue. It's nice to have him early so you don't miss out on anything he has to say. The Prothean gun you get is awesome, by far my favorite weapon.

I haven't played much multiplayer yet (been focused on single!) but if anyone is looking to play send me a message/invite/friend request (xbox 360) and I'll try to jump on for a little while.

Probably going to be lost in all the kids trying to get a free game, but I just wanted to mention that the director of Limelight is actually a local filmmaker down here in South Florida who is sort of a local celebrity. Just happens to have that same name.

He's best known for the ESPN documentary "The U" which was part of their "30 for 30" series.

Just figured I'd give him some props, he's got a lot of films on Netflix actually. He's a big proponent of the advancement of new media channels.

This podcast was certainly missing one thing and that was Wombat. I missed the interjection of humor while Shipwreck and CheapyD are trying to have a conversation. But I was pleasantly surprised at the end with the CheapyD and Wombat talk about Xbox Live featured gamer that brings out hate mail. So, Wombat, go ahead and report all the hate mail to microsoft and lead a crusade to make online gaming a respectable place instead of morons trying to figure out how to be an a-hole.

Give me Mass Effect 3!

Loved that you guys loved Journey but why does Shipwreck argue against the scores it's getting because of the length of the game? I hear mentioning of never getting bored and you guys enjoying the entire experience. I would rather it end than have the chance of me ever coming to dislike a game.

Great show, and to echo the sentiments of others,would've been better with Wombat. I never really understood the Wombat hate, as his corny jokes are the most endearing part of his schtick. Hope you enjoyed visiting the Hall of Killer Robot Presidents at Disney, Wombat! Really excited about Assassin's Creed 3, so glad to hear Cheapy and Ship are also looking forward to it. I found Revelations to be lackluster, and I was just about to write the series off, when the artwork/trailer came out. AC 3 is probably my most anticipated of 2012 now. Oh, and if you pick me, I'd love to play Mass Effect 3, if only to see what the internet is bitching about.

I would like to hear Wombat's comments about PS3 and Journey's release price. I remember the heated debate about the price of Limbo, how it could affect review scores and possibly setting a precedence on future short titles. But a $15 price on a 90 minute game? I think that is cutting it.

if no one has been selected for the contest, ME3 would be fine. Thanks guys.

So glad there was a CAGcast for last week. They always make my week just a little better and I wasn't expecting one without Wombat. However, I will admit that I actually enjoy all of Wombat's antics, and he was indeed missed. The old clip from when Wombat was on the Xbox spotlight was pretty messed up though. It's people like those that make me wonder if me trying to get my girlfriend into xbox live is a bad idea. For all the talk of "getting pussy" the guys on there do not know how to deal with women.

Flower was really short too, which is why I waited for the $5 sale and I intend to wait for a sale on Journey as well.

Didn't Shadow of the Colossus have the same climbing stamina mechanic? If you try to climb for too long without resting or leveling up stamina (via I think it was fruit on trees scattered in the wasteland), then you run out of stamina and fall, and yet that somehow managed to not be a major complaint of reviewers.

I too would be annoyed if I had to redo my Shepherd as I really don't like the default male shepherd and spent quite a bit of time changing him, thankfully I have a PS3 so my import is just ME2.

I would very much appreciate a PS3 ME3, assuming I'm not too late. :)

I now I'm nitpicking here, but I'd really like to see the return of Womberto and Wom-bot to the Cagcast. Their brief appearances months ago were personal favorites and left me wanting to know more about the history of the man and the mech.

Great show as always thought having no Wombat was like having no spice in the soup!

Wombat, I'd love you to pick me for ME 3 so I make a Cheapy D Shephard and make him do the nasty with the Krogan LOL

bread's done
Back