CAGcast #291: Patch This!

I don't know if I'm more surprised by Wombat's distaste of Batman Beyond, or that he was unaware that the series had a following. You'd think that if the show had the creators of Batman: The Animated Series involved he'd be more receptive to it. I haven't followed comics lately, but there was a recent series published of that character, and there was a usable Batman Beyond costume in Batman: Arkham City, so it's not like it's some obscure spinoff no one knows about.

[quote name='shinryuu']I know you tested Skype for the TwitchTV thing, but have you tried Google Hangout?[/QUOTE]

I suggested this when they were live streaming but Cheapy said he prefers to pay for services others offer for free.

[quote name='KtMack23']I suggested this when they were live streaming but Cheapy said he prefers to pay for services others offer for free.[/QUOTE]
Aw. I still think he should at least try Google Hangouts. I like it better than Skype for webcamming (especially for 2+ ppl since I don't have Skype premium) and it has really useful features like sharing YouTube videos, screencap of desktop, and Google Docs that I think would benefit a livecast. I think it also has a feature to save and upload the conference to YouTube. Also works with iPads/iPhones.

To each his own. =p

Cheapy, you should absolutely advertise on the Xbox Dashboard! You can finally give away those CAG gamer pics you talked about years ago. And how cool would it be to get a horde of gamers to put a CAG tshirt on their avatar?

On the Amazon thing: I shop big ticket items on it because I don't pay tax, take that away and I have no incentive to shop from Amazon again. Sure I'll still purchase that one day a year known as Black Friday to avoid the lines, but the other 364 days will never see Amazon pop up on my browser unless they have CRAZY deals, which hasn't happened in a while.

Offensive just for the sake of being of offensive is bad, but political correctness is far worse. People can't say ANYTHING without the fear of retribution and Wombat is a result of this propaganda. I've listened to the CAG cast for quite sometime now and Wombat is always the one to pull the "sensitive' side of things. This wouldn't be a problem if these cases were handled like LOGICAL adults should, but the PC propagandists demonize anything that may hurt someones feelings.

[quote name='apathylad']I don't know if I'm more surprised by Wombat's distaste of Batman Beyond, or that he was unaware that the series had a following. You'd think that if the show had the creators of Batman: The Animated Series involved he'd be more receptive to it. I haven't followed comics lately, but there was a recent series published of that character, and there was a usable Batman Beyond costume in Batman: Arkham City, so it's not like it's some obscure spinoff no one knows about.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... Beyond has more fans than 2099.

In regards to the paying for patch issue, also look at Double Fine. Brutal Legend has a serious issue that needs patching and EA won't pay for it and Double Fine couldn't afford it. Maybe now they can if they have extra Kickstarter money.

[quote name='Greencapt']Cheapy- regarding the split between itunes downloads & iphone downloads doesn't the new Apple podcast app not only allow subscribing directly (unlike itunes app) and moreso doesn't it directly fetch new episodes? I tried that app and it was all wonky with desktop itunes so I deleted it but that seemed to be how it worked. I assume that affects usage statistics.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the new Apple Podcasts app does exactly this. I can't speak for everyone else, but managing podcasts with iTunes is clunky. I had a 3GS some time back and used iTunes to manage my podcast subscriptions. It wasn't until I went to Android that I discovered the ease of direct download/subscribing. Now, with an iPhone 4S I use Downcast.

As far as the "split" goes, I think that this is going to continue. It's just so much easier to avoid doing this in iTunes now. Apple apparently knows it, too, since they've just released the Podcasts app.

Oh, and the Podcast app is terribly buggy. I'm sure it'll get better but many people have reported it becomes unresponsive way often. I've experienced that many times myself. I got frustrated enough that I don't use it anymore. Also some people seem to have lost their heads over the "skeuomorphic" design. I like it, but eh, whatever...

(Disclaimer: I don't really know shit about the Batman universe. I've only really seen The Dark Knight (1) as I post this.)
OMG, how can you guys not like Batman Beyond?! As I said, I don't really know much about Batman, but I watched that cartoon a lot. I recently started to play Arkham City, and I bought the skin pack (waste of money, I know) just for the Beyond skin. And now if I switch to another skin, it just seems silly to have a cape. The Beyond skin is so awesome.

As for ME3 MP... I still haven't played ME3, but I played the "demo" MP a lot. And not too long ago, I saw some Tweet about ME3 MP, and a lot of people were talking about it. They were very elitist, and were talking about how they kick anyone who doesn't have a certain alien race skin/model unlocked because it meant they were noobs. So, be prepared to get kicked a lot if you're a low level, I guess? Seemed pretty douchey.

Cheapy you saved me the trouble of recommending you Blacklight Retribution. Anybody else play? Please add me: Roxaschan try my cag username if not.

I'd be okay with Amazon being all over the fucking place if it means that the Bestbuy business model disappears.

[quote name='SeanAmI']I block all Xbox Live Dashboard ads...[/QUOTE]

holy shit, nice. I'd do it if I paid for xbox live.

Another fantastic episode. I was dying from laughter during Wombat's American Girl store story. I don't have kids of my own, but two of my siblings do and I've seen the damage firsthand with two of my nieces. Shit is crazy expensive.

Regarding Phil Fish, he basically sounds like he's full of shit. I enjoyed Fez and actually didn't mind him despite his reputation for being a bit of a dick (don't really know him obviously) but a few things sound pretty fishy to me.

Why would he knowingly go into business with Microsoft as an XBLA exclusive if he has all of these problems with how they run the service?

And his seemingly unending desire to get on Steam is odd. "If only I had put this out on Steam!" even though before Fez came out he said the game was absolutely a console game, meant to be played on a couch and that "PC's are just for spreadsheets". Now it's the best platform ever and the best for Fez? Interesting.

Also interesting is, despite all the recent bitching about Xbox Live cert fees and advertisements, XBL membership is up 15% year over year according to Microsoft's financial report on Thursday.

With the bit about Valve being bought out, I also really don't see it happening. Sure Gabe may step down eventually, but I'd bet that he'll just hand the reigns over to another higher up in the company rather than sell it.

The thing with Valve is that Gabe was rich as hell from his Microsoft days, before Valve even existed. Gave them the luxury of doing pretty much everything on their own terms from the jump without too much financial pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Add me to the list of people who would prefer a Batman: Beyond game over anything Silver Age. I really really disliked the Batman: The Brave and The Bold cartoon.

I think the last dashboard refresh has been the best one to date. I never really used the Games marketplace so I do not really care where they place it. Before the last update I would just go to Xbox.com and buy stuff there. Now If I want to find something on the Xbox I just say "Xbox Bing...". I never randomly browsed the marketplace. I skipped the Penny Arcade article because seemed like just another fanboy overreaction piece.

You may have mentioned this on the last episode but I wanted to comment. I work in tech support for a software company and people complain about internet speed a lot (mostly upload speeds) and I tell them to check their firewall but other than that there isn't any we can do. The only thing that may be happening is that they are throttling speeds because you are in Japan.

Also want to say CAGCAST is the BEST PODCAST ON THE INTERNET.

You guys should definitely be posting CAGcast episodes earlier in the week, as most of the podcasts I follow release on Thursday/Friday. I recall the show used to be out on Tuesdays, then Thursdays, and now they've been released on Fridays for the past few months.

They've had those sponsored themes, avatars, etc. on the Xbox 360 dashboard since the blades, though most of them are crap and the first big dashboard overhaul killing the usefulness of those original themes killed my interest in promotional stuff on the dashboard.

A follow up to Vivendi trying to sell the games division (ActivisionBlizzard) Pachter on Pachattack from 7/21 answered that and basically stated the the games division is valued so high that no company that wants to buy it can afford it and no company that can afford it wants to buy it. He then went on to explain a possible scenario where Vivendi forces AVB to take out loans with the sole purpose of paying out big bucks on the dividends then a freshly debt ridden AVB would have its stock drop and and people would sell off their stock.

It was probably one of his more insightful answers through out his entire series and is worth a view.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't mind the ads on Xbox dashboard. The targeted marketing usually shows me things I'm interested in. Like Wombat said, I've gotten some cool stuff I liked like themes and avatar gear. Best of all are the contest. A couple of years ago I won a family vacation to Disney World from Kia. Just this week I won 80,000 Microsoft points from Bengay. So by all means, keep ignoring those ads. Better odds for me.

This is regarding Cheapy's question on his stream about how Robert Bowling can donate 10 grand to Ouya's kickstarter...

He's a millionaire. His networth is just under $20 mil, so I don't think $10k is that much of an investment for him.

It would cool if the CAGcast was recorded on Monday nights and published on Tuesday mornings (American time). Tuesday can be pretty barren for podcasts while we wait for the Bombcast to get released.

I was also a bit taken aback at the disdain for Batman Beyond. To say that you do not like it is one thing, but to be surprised at even the notion that it would have a fanbase seems odd. Did Wombat or Shipwreck ever actually watch the series or did you just assume since it was Batman, set in the future, not following a pre-existing comic that it must suck?

If it is the latter, then I would put the "watch this bitches" challenge to watch Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker uncut at a minimum. The less you read about the plot of the movie the better you will enjoy it.

Isn't that patching fee the same excuse Tim Shafer(sp) uses as to why he doesn't fix the glitch that corrupts your save if you get more than 80% completion in Brutal Legend. They say they have the fix ready but won't even release it for PS3. I think EA is def to blame too. no idea.

bread's done
Back