CAGcast #293: Wombat’s Summer Job

It was hilarious when wombat was clowning on Cheapy D for him getting tired of going to Hawaii. Did Shipwreck get why Wombat was clowning him cause Cheapy was obviously clueless to it.

Also the clip at the end of the show with Cheapy D on the other podcast was great.

Mitt Cheapy, seated upon his golden toilet, with heated seats, that washes his ass for him, has grown tired of Hawaii and it's pedestrian attractions. He just wants to take the family to a nice walled resort where he can hunt the world's most dangerous game: Canadians.

He is the CAG 1%.

;)

[quote name='polly']Mitt Cheapy, seated upon his golden toilet, with heated seats, that washes his ass for him, has grown tired of Hawaii and it's pedestrian attractions. He just wants to take the family to a nice walled resort where he can hunt the world's most dangerous game: Canadians.

He is the CAG 1%.

;)[/QUOTE]

RICH ASS GAMER

rename yer website bro! RAG!

I think the lower quality in summer of arcade is due to Microsoft making tons of other promotions like Game Feast have spread their blockbusters thin. Now with Sony competing they maybe just be trying to find a sweeter spot to sell games.

[quote name='polly']Mitt Cheapy, seated upon his golden toilet, with heated seats, that washes his ass for him, has grown tired of Hawaii and it's pedestrian attractions. He just wants to take the family to a nice walled resort where he can hunt the world's most dangerous game: Canadians.

He is the CAG 1%.

;)[/QUOTE]

People are accusing Cheapy of not paying taxes for 10 years

Show Notes

7:30 Watch This: Dark Knight Rises
12:30 Watch This: Midnight Son
15:30 Watch This: Jiro Dreams of Sushi
18:00 Watch This: Client 9
21:30 Show Feedback
27:30 New Releases
27:30 Deadlight
32:15 Risen 2: Dark Waters
33:00 Expendables 2
34:45 War of the Monsters
35:00 Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance
36:15 Bullet Run
38:15 Resonance
40:45 Politcal Machine 2012
47:00 ME3 mp
49:00 Oculus Rift VR Goggles
56:00 Zynga
60:00 Star Wars Old Republic free to play
61:00 EA Financials
63:30 Summer of Arcade
72:30 Cagbag

Just my $0.02 here... the Iphone was an incredible device. Now it's pretty much standard. Behind the times, even. Compared to other phones, it is now playing catch-up. And I say this as someone who loves his iphone. The 3DS and the XL are incredible devices. 3D without glasses? That's pretty damned incredible in my book, and not many other devices have that capability (Evo 3D, I think). Of course it needs a stronger library, but we're just talking about the device, not the software.

[quote name='testudo']RICH ASS GAMER

rename yer website bro! RAG![/QUOTE]That genuinely made me laugh.:applause:

Just wanted to say I watched "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" at a food festival here in Norway. Loved it.

The movie was presented by the best sushi restaurant in the country, who served up a sushi buffet before and after the screening.
The movie was very entertaining and a visual feast. The old man's philosophies are really inspiring. I'm extremely jealous you get to eat at his restaurant in Tokyo.

Here's a picture of some of the buffet.

484468_10151956895590191_2087301662_n.jpg

Great podcast as always!

[quote name='Cheshire Wolf']
And the way you lawyer'd out of being wrong last weeks episode by claiming the argument was about an adjective. Are you serious? There is no way you got into an argument last week about an adjective. People don't get angry because they hear what they want to hear, they get angry because of this BS [/QUOTE]Yeah, I think you just proved my point exactly.
1) I was not angry. Wombat is the one who got angry, swearing several times.
2) The whole basis for the discussion is me trying to get Wombat to explain what makes the 3DS XL "incredible".

I'm a bit baffled on Shipwreck saying he liked the first Kingdom Hearts, but that the sequel's camera gave him a headache or whatever. I recall the camera being worse in the first game. And I don't remember the load times being terrible in any of them, so I was surprised by Wombat's complaint.

If you're going to watch batman in seattle, see if the imax is still showing it

also if you're in Seattle, it might be worth checking out shiro's. Shiro was a protege of jiro

He is the CAG 1%.

;)[/QUOTE]
Don't forget the $700 birthday dinner :)

I'm actually really happy for CheapyD. He's living a pretty good life doing what he loves. I did laugh a lot after he said he was sick of Hawaii though. I'm very interested to visit Vancouver now though, I absolutely loved my time in Seattle and would like to check it out next time I can visit the west coast.

Just my $0.02 here... the Iphone was an incredible device. Now it's pretty much standard. Behind the times, even. Compared to other phones, it is now playing catch-up. And I say this as someone who loves his iphone. The 3DS and the XL are incredible devices. 3D without glasses? That's pretty damned incredible in my book, and not many other devices have that capability (Evo 3D, I think). Of course it needs a stronger library, but we're just talking about the device, not the software.
The EVO 3D can also shoot 3D video which is cool.

[quote name='Just-Joe']Can we at least say the 3DS XL is an Average device?[/QUOTE]

I would even accept "excellent".

sorry Wombat. these last Batman movies are as bad as any other crap that has had his name attached.

Cheapy don't you understand how arrogant you sound talking about not feeling like going to Hawaii? Most of your listeners, and obviously Wombat could only dream that trip that you quickly dismiss....

Just kidding. Hell, you should buy Hawaii and sink it and then watch Wombat whine. You earned the money. Spend it anyway you want and don't let the jealous tell you otherwise.

It's fine that Wombat and Shipwreck aren't watching the Olympics, considering that if they really want to watch it, they'd have to buy a VPN plan like CheapyD does. All NBC is doing is showing mostly Americans during the Prime Time, and deeming anything from other countries as "garbage."

[quote name='CheapyD']I would even accept "excellent".[/QUOTE]

Would you accept "exceptional" since that was the actual word used in the previous podcast? ;)

Some Community advice for Cheapy and anyone else trying out the show... I initially felt the same way as Cheapy and Shipwreck about the show. Those first few episodes are bumpy and seem more clever than funny, and yes, maybe smug.

That being said, the show comes together in episode 7("Introduction to Statistics" i.e. the Halloween episode), and you can see they hit just the right vibe and the cast and writing just seem to gel after that. It was a clear turning point in the show, and is still one of the funnier episodes, IMO.

I say power through the first 6 and give episode 7 a fair shake. If you don't find that one funny, then by all means quit watching, but I have a feeling it might change your mind a bit and even entice you to watch more.

And if all that fails, at least watch season 4's episode "Digital Estate Planning." The entire episode is done up as an 8bit RPG game, and something everyone here would enjoy whether you know the characters or not. Plus it has a decent cameo(assuming you watch Breaking Bad) playing Chevy's brother.

I think it's a tad presumptuous to say that Summer of Arcade might be "fizzling out" because of this year's batch of not-so-great games. While I admit that the current batch of games look weak in comparison to games like Braid, Limbo, and Trials, don't forget that you guys didn't even like Limbo that much despite it being a critical darling. Personally I just don't hold Summer of Arcade up to a higher standard because Microsoft releases XBLA games all year and these games are going to be just as good/bad no matter what time of year they release.

Also, how can you say that PSN Play has a better lineup when none of those games are out at the time of this recording?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='banodyne']That genuinely made me laugh.:applause:[/QUOTE]

Tanks bro! I can't wait for the next RAGcast!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if microsoft substituted Tony Hawk, Wreckateer and Deadlight with Minecraft, Spelunky, and Trials Evolution, this year's summer of arcade would have been a bigger success.

EDIT: Critical Success.

On the Hawaii comment: Complaining about going to Hawaii too many times is like complaining about eating at the Palm too often.

There was something about the phrasing of the words and the tone of the comment that made it funny. The premise that he had done Hawaii a few times and needed a change, is not unreasonable .

One more point:

I think the Hawaii comment was the icing on the cake of cheapy not being in touch with his audience. This is a gaming site for video game deals. . . people who are looking to save money come to this site.

I don't care if cheapy has a lot of money (more power to him). . . but he could potentially alienate his listeners if he keeps this up. Between a $1000 "cheap" laptop, $1200+ Standing Desk, $30 Hamburgers, $700 Sushi Dinner, a top of the line gaming PC which he had someone build for him, Bored with Hawaii, etc he could start to piss of his audience who are trying to save a couple bucks on a video game.

I'm not sure why Summer of Arcade titles are lacking this year, but just listening to previous years' releases was eye opening. I had forgotten that Shadow Complex, Splosion Man, & Trials were all the same year.

[quote name='skadave']
There was something about the phrasing of the words and the tone of the comment that made it funny. The premise that he had done Hawaii a few times and needed a change, is not unreasonable .[/QUOTE]

Exactly. That and the fact most people can only dream of one day getting to Hawaii, and here's someone who's sick of it is why it was funny. Like you said, the phrasing and tone just sold it.

On top of that, it's funnier because Cheapy was oblivious to why it was funny.

[quote name='skadave']I think if microsoft substituted Tony Hawk, Wreckateer and Deadlight with Minecraft, Spelunky, and Trials Evolution, this year's summer of arcade would have been a bigger success.

EDIT: Critical Success.[/QUOTE]

And a bigger sale success cause Minecraft has sold 3 million copies already on XBLA.

Have finally gotten caught up on the last 4 CAGcasts. Lots of great stuff, thanks to Cheapy, Wombat and Ship for doing these. :)

Wombat, if you continue to play ME3 multiplayer (which I agree is excellent) then there are some things to consider if you want to get better gear. First focus on buying veteran packs until your common weapons get up to level 10.

Once you have common gear maxed out it improves the chances of getting uncommon/rare gear.

Once you've done that, focus on premium spectre packs over regular spectre packs. Two guaranteed rares versus one for only 50% more credits.

Lastly, if there is a specific weapon or character you want you can improve your chances by deleting the other DLC that doesn't include that weapon or character. For example if you wanted one of the new N7 characters, play as normal to accumulate credits. Once you're ready to buy packs, delete all multiplayer dlc (or if you have it on a usb stick, just take out the stick) except for Earth.

Buy your packs, then re-insert your other dlc. You don't lose any of the other stuff since it's all stored on the EA servers.

[quote name='skadave']I think if microsoft substituted Tony Hawk, Wreckateer and Deadlight with Minecraft, Spelunky, and Trials Evolution, this year's summer of arcade would have been a bigger success.

EDIT: Critical Success.[/QUOTE]

100% accurate. I get why they don't hold onto games for 3-6 months just so they can release them during SOA. But at the same time if they're going to populate it with B-list games then there's not much point in the promotion.

Dust looks pretty promising though. And while I haven't bought it yet, Wreckateer is kind of dumb fun.

[quote name='skadave']One more point:

I think the Hawaii comment was the icing on the cake of cheapy not being in touch with his audience. This is a gaming site for video game deals. . . people who are looking to save money come to this site.

I don't care if cheapy has a lot of money (more power to him). . . but he could potentially alienate his listeners if he keeps this up. Between a $1000 "cheap" laptop, $1200+ Standing Desk, $30 Hamburgers, $700 Sushi Dinner, a top of the line gaming PC which he had someone build for him, Bored with Hawaii, etc he could start to piss of his audience who are trying to save a couple bucks on a video game.[/QUOTE]

Now that is what we call strategic brand management! :applause:

[quote name='CheapyD']Yeah, I think you just proved my point exactly.
1) I was not angry. Wombat is the one who got angry, swearing several times.
2) The whole basis for the discussion is me trying to get Wombat to explain what makes the 3DS XL "incredible".[/QUOTE]

I think you got Wombat riled up because you called the 3DS a toy. Anyways great show. The show is still awesome even when you guys are arguing.

[quote name='ZombieJeebus']Have finally gotten caught up on the last 4 CAGcasts. Lots of great stuff, thanks to Cheapy, Wombat and Ship for doing these. :)

Wombat, if you continue to play ME3 multiplayer (which I agree is excellent) then there are some things to consider if you want to get better gear. First focus on buying veteran packs until your common weapons get up to level 10.

Once you have common gear maxed out it improves the chances of getting uncommon/rare gear.

Once you've done that, focus on premium spectre packs over regular spectre packs. Two guaranteed rares versus one for only 50% more credits.

Lastly, if there is a specific weapon or character you want you can improve your chances by deleting the other DLC that doesn't include that weapon or character. For example if you wanted one of the new N7 characters, play as normal to accumulate credits. Once you're ready to buy packs, delete all multiplayer dlc (or if you have it on a usb stick, just take out the stick) except for Earth.

Buy your packs, then re-insert your other dlc. You don't lose any of the other stuff since it's all stored on the EA servers.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tips!

[quote name='skadave']One more point:

I don't care if cheapy has a lot of money (more power to him). . . but he could potentially alienate his listeners if he keeps this up. Between a $1000 "cheap" laptop, $1200+ Standing Desk, $30 Hamburgers, $700 Sushi Dinner, a top of the line gaming PC which he had someone build for him, Bored with Hawaii, etc he could start to piss of his audience who are trying to save a couple bucks on a video game.[/QUOTE]

I think it's cool that he showcases his life and experiences to his audience rather than being a empty shell personality. I'd rather he show me that $30 hamburger than pretend he got a $5 burger.

[quote name='antlp89']I think it's cool that he showcases his life and experiences to his audience rather than being a empty shell personality. I'd rather he show me that $30 hamburger than pretend he got a $5 burger.[/QUOTE]

Good point. . . and i generally agree. I just think that a podcast/radio personality needs to know who their audience is and keep them in mind every now and then.

Both times the 3DS/incredible/exceptional/iPhone argument has come up, I was just flabbergasted (wanted to use that word) that no one had the sense to say "it's an opinion." Because it is. Now maybe it was said last week, but I can't remember. But it wasn't said this week. If Wombat thinks the 3DS XL is more incredible/exceptional than the iPhone, than it is: for him. Opinions, man, how do they work?
I know I sound like an asshole, but oh well. I just hope it never comes up again (and I know I'm not helping by talking about it).

I lol'd at Chik-a-fil and Hawaii being boring. Oh, Cheapy. You so silly.

I think Summer of Arcade looks bad compared to what they released earlier this year (Fez, Trials Evolution, Minecraft, Spelunky). I think Dust has the highest chance to be the critical darling this year do to the development story behind the game.

[quote name='Kuromimi']I think you got Wombat riled up because you called the 3DS a toy. Anyways great show. The show is still awesome even when you guys are arguing.[/QUOTE]

They never argue. Wombat is wrong and Cheapy is trying to correct him.

I hope cheapy realizes I was trying to make a reasonable response to a topic on their show and not being a crazy person making threats to him or even getting upset.

Cheapy:we were not comparing the 3ds and the iphone

Wombat:you said that the iphone is an incredible device and therefore we cannot use that word to describe the 3ds.

Cheapy:I said this is an example of what I consider to be an incredible device

Wombat: But why can't they both be incredible devices?

Cheapy:Because the 3DS doesn't do nearly the things that an Iphone does...

If that's not a comparison, what is it?

Cheapy has made it clear that he doesn't care for nintendo's games or hardware. I don't know why he would get worked up over what someone else thinks. Obviously if you don't care for Nintendo's software it makes no sense to buy their hardware.

Another great podcast, Caviar Ass Gamers! God bless Wombat and Ship for recognizing the absurdity of a man with the nickname "Cheapy" poo-pooing a Hawaiian vacation.

So I followed CheapyD's movie recommendation of Midnight Son. I got a few friends over telling them they should watch it and that I heard it was a good movie. An hour and a half later... we all thought the movie was stupid and bad. How did you and Mrs. think this was a good movie?! I wouldn't have mind that it was slow but it doesn't really build up (or it tries and fails at the end). Predictable, boring. Not scary or tense. Mehhhhh =[

I like Wombat's Elsworld's analogy for Dark Knight Rises. Nolan's Batman is not the one I think of which hurts the movies for me. I think Nolan probably does the best job of taking classic Batman stories and translating them into movie story lines. I think Marvel's movies plus Spider-man feel like the characters are spot on in stories that have some small connection to classic story lines.

And Community was awesome.

The funny thing about the "incredible" discussion is that Cheapy slandered the hell out of Wombat on 8-4 Play by constantly telling them that Wombat said it was incredible when he was just repeating what somebody else had actually said.

I don't get the people that are trying to crap on Cheapy for the money he makes on the site because he runs a site like CAG. The site is about getting the items you want for the prices that you're willing to pay, not getting everything for as cheaply as possible, which is exactly what Cheapy does with his money so there's nothing wrong with it. He does come off as being out of touch when he suggests that vacations to Hawaii are now boring to him and his family and things like that, but being able to have the money to make choices like that isn't an issue.

[quote name='shipwreck']This is what Sony did last year. They released 4 games the same week they were available on XBLA. Even with added bonuses of themes/Home items that's not exactly a promotion to beat your chest over. They also gave away Payday: The Heist if you bought all 4 games. I think I said something last year along the lines of "At least they tried".

This year they have 2 exclusives, 1 timed exclusive, and 1 game that comes out at the same time on XBLA. Plus they are offering cash vouchers back for buying as little as two of the games. It's a much better promotion this year.[/QUOTE]
You're mixing two promotions into one as the Home items were a part of Spring Fever 2010, which was a weird year where they didn't highlight any games, and themes are a general pre-order bonus that they've offered for most of the few games that have offered pre-orders. They haven't offered much in the way of bonuses for the promotions they've run with the Home items, Payday, and the cashback stuff for PSN Play this year have been all of it from what I can remember.

I'm not sure what you meant by the "Sony should have something to compete against Summer of Arcade" comment. Did you mean a promotion in the summer or a promotion of "big games" in the same vein as Summer of Arcade? They've had Spring Fever since 2009, which started about seven months after the first Summer of Arcade. I can definitely agree that they haven't really had a focused yearly promotion in that same vein. Spring Fever was all over the place at first, but it has focused a bit over the past two years.

The thing that promotion has over Summer of Arcade is a bigger focus on sales so you have an alternative to the highlighted game each week, as opposed to the chokehold that Summer of Arcade has on all of XBLA for the five weeks it runs. That chokehold is the reason that Expendables 2 is a part of PSN Play this year since it isn't allowed to be released on XBLA until mid-August at the earliest.

That lack of alternatives on XBLA may be Summer of Arcade's greatest strength and weakness, as it's great for their ability to promote it but bad because a lack of interest in any of the five games means you have no reason to pay attention to the platform for weeks.

As far as PSN Play 2011, they had a promotion for exclusive games shortly after it called Only on PSN, which had games like Eufloria, Rochard, Okabu, Sideway: New York, Rocketbirds, Infamous Festival of Blood, and PixelJunk Shooter 2 that were more in line with what you might've expected from PSN Play.

bread's done
Back