CAGcast #293: Wombat’s Summer Job

[quote name='LiK']random drawing for the next giveaway please...[/QUOTE]

Or ask a question or something for us to comment on and then pick your 5 favorite... gives some of us with busier schedules a chance :)

I would like to try the PS3 version of Foosball 2012 if I can get a code. Thanks! Keep up the great Podcasts!

Yessss! My batman rankings go:

1. Dark Knight
2. Dark Knight Rises
3. Batman Begins

After living in Pittsburgh 4 years got some nostalgia watching TDKR. However Dark Knight still wins because of the Joker.

Hey Cheapy, I asked why you were going to Vancouver because I'll actually be there at the end of August (from the 27th onward), so if you want to meet up and have a japadog I will make you look like a celebrity in front of your family. I promise I won't cut you with my love knife.

downloaded this again by mistake :booty:.

Cheapy really needs to add an outline or more notes to the OP as lots of times I have no idea what's being discussed or forget a game or news etc and want to read up on it.

I do usually listen to this at night when I try to fall asleep however and often wakeup with earphones still on ;)

this episode and last few keep reminding me how uncheap and what an Apple fanboy Cheapy is.

I guess I wasn't paying full attention to the previous ep where Cheapy talked about that live action show and bitched about the 500 yen they charged to shake the actors' hands. I watched the vid (and foosball to witness the abuse) and was like :whistle2:# when I realized he forked over the yen so Tai could shake these people's hands. Also I can't believe he ordered foosball balls from Amazon (or did he get his mom to order) and then had his mom send to Japan. I'm sure he could have found decent ones on ebay or something.

Cheapy bitching about the newer 3DS to Wombat made me hope someone would just smack him or just kick him in the nuts. Interesting how other times were also when Apple or their products were being praised like some miracle snakeoil product.

Apple doesn't make gaming apps. Hell I'm not even sure if they make "apps" at all. Isn't Nintendo still the largest company that develops AND publishes the most games and consoles?

iOS devices make more money on apps than video game handhelds due to the massive casual audience. Quality apps do not generate money - the sheer quantity of them is what does.

Developers (ones that strive for critical acclaim or the fast buck) put their apps on iTunes in order to quickly increase their exposure. Seeing as it's getting harder and harder to get apps approved and the pay % seems to be less, other marketplaces are likely to gain more share. I think videogame handhelds will eventually get a tie in to their console marketplace and library of games

oh and ~$35 for a burger that does not have caviar, seafood, truffles is ridiculous. the exchange rate had to have changed a bit as I think a burger at Union Sq Cafe (NYC) can't be more than $20.

[quote name='MattJ1991']Hey Cheapy, I asked why you were going to Vancouver because I'll actually be there at the end of August (from the 27th onward), so if you want to meet up and have a japadog I will make you look like a celebrity in front of your family. I promise I won't cut you with my love knife.[/QUOTE]I'll be there. Let's eat!

Cheapie just doesn't like Nintendo products. YOu can bank on him not liking any upcoming Nintendo product this year and the next. Nintendo just ain't cool enough for him. Thought he would soften up as his kid aged a few years, but doesn't look like it. Nothing wrong with this. JUst the way it is.

Shipwreck and Wombat don't have this hangup.

So anytime Cheapie says something about Nintendo realize that this is where he is coming from. Nintendo is in a hole before they announce a product. They are 10 strokes behind before they even tee-off. It will help soothe some nerd anger..maybe?

I do find it ironic that the 3DS is doing absolute gangbusters in only one territory right now - Japan.

[quote name='bickle']Show Notes

7:30 Watch This: Dark Knight Rises
12:30 Watch This: Midnight Son
15:30 Watch This: Jiro Dreams of Sushi
18:00 Watch This: Client 9
21:30 Show Feedback
27:30 New Releases
27:30 Deadlight
32:15 Risen 2: Dark Waters
33:00 Expendables 2
34:45 War of the Monsters
35:00 Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance
36:15 Bullet Run
38:15 Resonance
40:45 Politcal Machine 2012
47:00 ME3 mp
49:00 Oculus Rift VR Goggles
56:00 Zynga
60:00 Star Wars Old Republic free to play
61:00 EA Financials
63:30 Summer of Arcade
72:30 Cagbag

Just my $0.02 here... the Iphone was an incredible device. Now it's pretty much standard. Behind the times, even. Compared to other phones, it is now playing catch-up. And I say this as someone who loves his iphone. The 3DS and the XL are incredible devices. 3D without glasses? That's pretty damned incredible in my book, and not many other devices have that capability (Evo 3D, I think). Of course it needs a stronger library, but we're just talking about the device, not the software.[/QUOTE]

I'd say that $0.02 was worth $2.00, very insightful. And thanks for the outline too!

CheapyD: I got some advice that you yourself once mentioned, but you should just follow it from now on. Don't say iphone, say "smartphone". iphone is a brand like kleenex and band-aid, just say "any smartphone" that way no one can argue anymore about the device...about the games on the other hand? Don't even try to defend them.

@CAG Crew:

Care to weigh in on Soundshapes during the next cagcast?!? Very interested in the title but the price plus the fact that it only features 3 worlds (levels?) is keeping me away from making the purchase. ((Those reasons plus that it'll most likely be on sale at lower price or given away free for PS+ in the future)).

PS: Have you fellas noticed that you can now play many PS minis on Vita now?

[quote name='Kazaganthi']I'd say that $0.02 was worth $2.00, very insightful. And thanks for the outline too!

CheapyD: I got some advice that you yourself once mentioned, but you should just follow it from now on. Don't say iphone, say "smartphone". iphone is a brand like kleenex and band-aid, just say "any smartphone" that way no one can argue anymore about the device...about the games on the other hand? Don't even try to defend them.[/QUOTE]

Why? So android users don't get their feelings hurt? Cheapy owns an iPhone, saying "smartphone" without meaning it would just be pandering.

I'd rather this show stay real.

[quote name='eataburger']Why? So android users don't get their feelings hurt? Cheapy owns an iPhone, saying "smartphone" without meaning it would just be pandering.

I'd rather this show stay real.[/QUOTE]

Because CheapyD sounds like he is impressed with the idea of a smartphone, not just iphone. I'm not an android user, was just giving outside advice so he doesn't come off as a blind fanboy all the time. It's like my grandparents being amazed by what a TI calculator can do.

[quote name='BetaDemo']@CAG Crew:

Care to weigh in on Soundshapes during the next cagcast?!? Very interested in the title but the price plus the fact that it only features 3 worlds (levels?) is keeping me away from making the purchase. ((Those reasons plus that it'll most likely be on sale at lower price or given away free for PS+ in the future)).

PS: Have you fellas noticed that you can now play many PS minis on Vita now?[/QUOTE]
It has five albums (their version of worlds) with about four levels each, so I'm not sure where you got three from. Beating the main campaign opens up a harder version of each of the levels that is where you earn trophies from, so that's a good 40 levels there plus all of the user-created levels that others have made.

Sounds like you need to check out this thread if you're just now hearing about Minis on Vita:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316058

I side with Cheapy on the Hawaii statement. He wasn't trying to be a snob, he's just saying it wasn't for him. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It has five albums (their version of worlds) with about four levels each, so I'm not sure where you got three from. Beating the main campaign opens up a harder version of each of the levels that is where you earn trophies from, so that's a good 40 levels there plus all of the user-created levels that others have made.

Sounds like you need to check out this thread if you're just now hearing about Minis on Vita:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316058[/QUOTE]

That's not quite right about Sound Shapes. There aren't really harder versions of the levels. There are just timed challenges that open up where you need to grab a certain amount of coins before the clock expires.

I talk about it on the CAGcast we just recorded.

[quote name='shipwreck']That's not quite right about Sound Shapes. There aren't really harder versions of the levels. There are just timed challenges that open up where you need to grab a certain amount of coins before the clock expires.

I talk about it on the CAGcast we just recorded.[/QUOTE]
From what I had read, they're based on the original level with the timed challenge aspect that makes them more difficult, so I'm not sure what's wrong about that.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']From what I had read, they're based on the original level with the timed challenge aspect that makes them more difficult, so I'm not sure what's wrong about that.[/QUOTE]

They are single screen levels where you just move around and collect the coins as they appear. They share the graphics elements that are used in the levels, but it's a totally different style of game that lasts about 30 seconds per level.

[quote name='TwistedOrange']I side with Cheapy on the Hawaii statement. He wasn't trying to be a snob, he's just saying it wasn't for him. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.[/QUOTE]
It wasn't that the statement sounded snobbish, even-though it sounds snobbish listeners are well aware that it was not meant that way. What does come off as far more snobbish, is the fact the cheapy seemed competently unable to comprehend why that statement sounds snobbish.

Why don't ship and wombat just do their own show while cheapy is away.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='TwistedOrange']I side with Cheapy on the Hawaii statement. He wasn't trying to be a snob, he's just saying it wasn't for him. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.[/QUOTE]
I propose we start calling him RichieD.

[quote name='shipwreck']They are single screen levels where you just move around and collect the coins as they appear. They share the graphics elements that are used in the levels, but it's a totally different style of game that lasts about 30 seconds per level.[/QUOTE]
I give up then.

bread's done
Back