CAGcast #307: The Real Geek Squad

Great show guys. Cheapy, loved the rant on the Karaoke game. It was hilarious but spot on. Good lookin' out for the little guy.

[quote name='usickenme']I'll probably get shit but a pet peeve is kids on podcasts. You can never understand them as well as the parent and it just grinds everything to a halt.

I say this as a parent of two and a podcaster for the last 6 years.[/QUOTE]

I guess I'm the opposite. I thought it was cute. Things like that are like little insights into the lives of these guys and I really enjoy them - it makes it more personal. I guess some people don't go for that kind of thing, though, like when some CAGs were tired of hearing all the Fitbit talk. To each his own. Great show, guys.

You guys complain about the VITA and how it's too pricey yet you want to spend $200 on a Neo Geo retro re-release system which games were only popular back in the day because they looked better than anything else at the time? Shame on you guys.

[quote name='shipwreck']I'm fairly sure I've said that I pay for lawn service and cleaning service on the CAGcast before.[/QUOTE]

lol. I will take that as a yes. And at least your priorities are straight.

Anyway it just didn't sound like you realized how straightforward hanging your tv on the wall is in a newer home with drywall. If you checked the metacritic score for this project for the layman - cross indexed it with paying Geeksquad $270- you'd get a 97 score. Meaning..... go for it. AT least once.

The score drops off precipitously for those that have a personal assistant.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='WILTRON']A quick note on the subject of Goozex's demise and Cheapy's assessment that "If Goozex couldn't do it, no one can".

I've used Goozex for 5 years or so (hundreds of trades) and I've seen it go from a viable trading platform beneficial for everyone involved (profitable for operators, money saving for users), to a complete disaster due to mismanagement and neglect in the last year and a half.

I can't say what was going on behind the scenes (though you can read all about the financial history here: http://www.otcmarkets.com/edgar/GetFilingHtml?FilingID=8961452 ), but from a user perspective I've seen an almost fanatically dedicated user base (including myself) get disappointed and pushed away time and again by vague announcements of progress and what appear to be outright fabrications of improvements "in the works". Goozex missed every self-imposed deadline they set for their users for the past year. Customer service while never fast became almost non-existent in the last 6 months.

There are no games to be had outside of junk no one wants and the remaining active users appear to be insane / delusional (I’ve had no luck reasoning with them). The queues for current generation games are hundreds of users long while 1 game a quarter is traded (I'm near the front of many of these queues). New users have NO CHANCE of receiving anything of interest if they trade out a new game for some Goozex cash after they're duped by the Goozex front page promises. I was a huge advocate of Goozex in the past, but it's to a point where I'd feel guilty receiving anything from a new user who doesn't know what he's gotten himself into.

Goozex squandered the good will of their dedicated users. That's what killed Goozex. The newly minted competitors (99Gamers.com and VGFive.com) are off to a running start. Cheapy may be right that there's not a lot of money in it, but I think there's a good chance this model could stay profitable with the right management team as long as physical media is around... because there a lot of Cheap Ass Gamers who want to play a lot of games, but don't want to pay $60 for them all.[/QUOTE]

Goozex would have had a better chance if they just became a middleman for videogame transactions and not done this whole point system thing.

There's room (or so it seems) for a site where you buy/sell vidgames without the high fees of an Amazon or Ebay. AT least until Amazon or Ebay crushed you by lowering their fees.

A sort of craigslist except with strict accounts attached to credit cards and seller feedback.

And then an education of buyers to buy from reputable sellers.

And an education/requirement of sellers on how to list their product. It would be pinterest-style. A cover picture and then placeholder underneath for front/back disc and back of cover and picture of manual. That's it.

Everything sent first class.

Of course once that was going good then digital distribution would come and wipe you out.

But stop this token nonsense.

And I would dump all responsibility on the buyers and sellers as much as possible if possible.

I would also consider having a one-time membership fee of $60 or the cost of a game. Insurance against disputes. Cancel your account and get your money back in full with 30-60 days.

[quote name='Manloi']Hello! Cheapy,

I am glad to hear that you are going to Hong Kong for vacation. I was born and raised in Hong Kong. Although I haven't visit Hong Kong for about 12 years, I missed my childhood there. The present Hong Kong might not be the British Colony Hong Kong. But I think it's a great place for vacation and shopping.

Can you talk about your trip in Hong Kong when you're back?[/QUOTE]

We went to the steakhouse. Had the biggest steak ever!!! The size of 2 Maine lobsters. After I sht my pants. I had to pull sht out of my shoes.

Grandma was along with us luckily and was babysitting Tai when the brown came around.

And thankfully Mrs Cheapie had a cold and had lost her sense of smell. We were only 12 blocks from our Chinese love hotel when this happened. The love hotels in China? Alot more sadistic than in Japan. Barbed wire bed railings. I holed up in the bathroom with my suitcase for 3 hrs cleaning myself up and shredding my clothese with a nail clippers so I could flush them down the toilet without a trace.

....or so I imagine how it might go down for CheapieD (....off the top of my head.) :D Bring back any childhood memories?

I love Wombat but.... He is such a Jew.

His daughter talked about her presents and seemed to like them a lot and he had to comment and let everyone know that she only talked about the cheapest presents. He also had to drop hints about wanting the Neo Geo thing(which actually looks like it's going to suck, read up on it before buying it) and even gave a back up present idea with the cheap Midway game collection. I just kept hearing, money money money, give me give me give me. God forbid someone mention free t-shirt, of course he wants it and would most certainly wear it. We need a contest, send Wombat the dumbest free t-shirt and then see if he wears it.

Wombat is awesome but dude, calm down and say no to a free t-shirt once just to see how good it feels to be better than something free.

Oh and, did Wombat ever re-pay Shipwreck for the stuff they bought on BF? I remember Ship got Wombat a few things that totaled a little more, even if it's a couple bucks I bet there was never any settling of that debt.

[quote name='iwannadie']I love Wombat but.... He is such a Jew.

His daughter talked about her presents and seemed to like them a lot and he had to comment and let everyone know that she only talked about the cheapest presents. He also had to drop hints about wanting the Neo Geo thing(which actually looks like it's going to suck, read up on it before buying it) and even gave a back up present idea with the cheap Midway game collection. I just kept hearing, money money money, give me give me give me. God forbid someone mention free t-shirt, of course he wants it and would most certainly wear it. We need a contest, send Wombat the dumbest free t-shirt and then see if he wears it.

Wombat is awesome but dude, calm down and say no to a free t-shirt once just to see how good it feels to be better than something free.

Oh and, did Wombat ever re-pay Shipwreck for the stuff they bought on BF? I remember Ship got Wombat a few things that totaled a little more, even if it's a couple bucks I bet there was never any settling of that debt.[/QUOTE]

Wait, what? I bought my child expensive gifts, and I don't want relatives to buy me a $200 item, instead I tell them about something that costs 7 times less & somehow that makes me cheap & greedy?

I think you are just an anti-semite.

[quote name='Wombat']Wait, what? I bought my child expensive gifts, and I don't want relatives to buy me a $200 item, instead I tell them about something that costs 7 times less & somehow that makes me cheap & greedy?

I think you are just an anti-semite.[/QUOTE]

I have nothing against Jewish people.

You just to me, came off pretty bad in that last episode bringing up costs, free stuff, making a point to announce you bought your daughter expensive stuff too not just the stuff she talked about. It was cute that she was listing the stuff she got and was happy with it, the comment about her only mentioning the cheap stuff was just weird to me. Any mention of free t-shirt certainly perks your ears up also.

Again, I love ya Wombat and have defended you in the past in the comments when I thought Cheapy was picking on you.

[quote name='iwannadie']I have nothing against Jewish people.

You just to me, came off pretty bad in that last episode bringing up costs, free stuff, making a point to announce you bought your daughter expensive stuff too not just the stuff she talked about. It was cute that she was listing the stuff she got and was happy with it, the comment about her only mentioning the cheap stuff was just weird to me. Any mention of free t-shirt certainly perks your ears up also.

Again, I love ya Wombat and have defended you in the past in the comments when I thought Cheapy was picking on you.[/QUOTE]

You're just being silly. He was only pointing out how she talked about the cheap presents and didn't even mention the more expensive ones. Just like if you bought your child an expensive item, only to have them have more fun with the box it came in.

You're seriously over-thinking this, dude... It was funny.

The shirt thing is just a running joke about how Wombat is at E3. I have to agree, you sound a little anti-semitic.

[quote name='jkam']You guys complain about the VITA and how it's too pricey yet you want to spend $200 on a Neo Geo retro re-release system which games were only popular back in the day because they looked better than anything else at the time? Shame on you guys.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Maybe not quite so much about the Vita part, but I was shocked that they(and so many other people, for that matter) are so interested in this. When I first saw it, I couldn't believe how stupid it sounded and wondered aloud, "Why?".

[quote name='iwannadie']I have nothing against Jewish people.

Again, I love ya Wombat and have defended you in the past in the comments when I thought Cheapy was picking on you.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I don't usually read the thread, but have often wondered what kind of comments cause Wombat to constantly remind people in show feedback that he's just joking. I've always found his sense of humor really obvious. I just...wow, dude, you should probably just stop talking before you get banned or something. That's not how Wombat came across at ALL.

Get in touch with negative position seahawks matt flynn jersey
in opposition to love-making: Exposure to it in the female towards rigid, guilt-ridden together with bad nike matt flynn jersey
behavior to intercourse while in youth can even lead to natural jerks. Certainly what you really are seriously wilson jersey
looking through is valid, an individual may get everything you could get hold of in fact vital free of charge.

Oh and, did Wombat ever re-pay Shipwreck for the stuff they bought on BF? I remember Ship got Wombat a few things that totaled a little more, even if it's a couple bucks I bet there was never any settling of that debt.[/QUOTE]

and you go to a site called Cheap Ass Gamer because you love to spend money and pay full price?

Did I listen to the same podcast?

I wouldn't be surprised if Wombat exhibited "being cheap" but it didn't seem like he did that really at all on this podcast. And even then, behavior like that (to at least some extent) shouldn't be surprising from anyone (myself included) who visits a site dedicated to "saving money" (aka embracing their frugality).

I don't see how religion would necessarily play into any of this but maybe I'm confused and this is a site like JDate.

got around to finishing the last 20-25 minutes after 4-5 attempts (yeah sounds like a gaming session). most were when I was going to bed and I would wake up with it finished...

Cheapy getting pissed and cursing was amusing. No idea how literal real time and not in-game time was used for the karaoke app. They should have a yearly option for $200 or so (real time won't matter)!

Can't believe shipwreck pays to have stuff installed - especially by Geeksquad! A mechanical engineer that spends most his time playing games is likely more geeky then those guys. Although, I guess having a mansion and getting that review money has stopped him from being a cheapass if he ever was one. Oh and 40-0, either run up the score or at least let the other team score once (if they can't hit free throws well)

Don't remember much of the show so no complaints or comments towards Wombat.
edit: looked through some of the comments. Wombat hinting about the Neo Geo was amusing/annoying. Just ask for cash next time.

Can you guys please talk about the playstation store redesign on the next show. It sucks total ass. Wanted to know your thoughts. Slow. Filters suck. jumbled mess.

bread's done
Back