CAGcast #362: Everyone is Ashamed and Fired

Baseball Stars was fantastic. Hundreds - maybe even thousands - of hours of my childhood were spent playing that game. The gameplay was simple and fun, the progression system wasn't immediate but also wasn't a grind, and the league options were outstanding for a game of its time.
I never liked Baseball Stars that much (although it's on my top 10 baseball game list here on CAG because I recognize everything it did,) but I always liked all the other games based on its engine (Little League, Legends of the Diamond) much more.

So I know this isn't a direct comparison but let me ask this:

I never listened to Gamespot back in the day when it was essentially the current Giant Bomb crew because back in the late 90's/early 00's when I was learning what the internet was in college, I hooked onto IGN being a big member of their message boards and reading them every day (remember when the gaming sites only updated once per day?) Back then linking to or talking about Gamespot on the IGN message boards was a bannable offense so I never went there. Didn't hear of Jeff Gertsmann until his Zelda: TP review and Gertsmann-gate.

Flash forward a decade later and after the IW story led me to Patrick Klepek and getting to hear him, Adam Sessler, Abbie Heppe, and the rest of the XPlay crew on their online video podcast (which was free of the stuff people didn't like from X-Play and generally great gaming discussion.) A few months after I started watching weekly, Patrick left for Giant Bomb, and I went with him. I'd heard nothing but good things about GB from friends and now I discovered why. One of my biggest regrets now is not going to their panels at PAX Prime 09 and PAX East 10 and missing Ryan Davis. There's even a pic on my Facebook of being with the whole crew that I didn't appreciate then.

Anyway Klepek had gotten into strategy games with XCom in 2012 and Fire Emblem in 2013 and had always been recommended Valkyria Chronicles but never did buy it b/c it's not on PSN and he won't buy a used game from GS. So I got a copy using my PUR Pro B2G1F renewal coupon last week and gave it to him at PAX East. He's said on his podcast with Alex Navarro on Monday he plans on playing it this summer.

Granted a $20-$25 game is not a $400 system but Klepek is paid to write/play about games and he could have easily got a copy if he wanted to break his morals of not buying a used copy at GS. Should he give that game away or keep it?

Also related to Klepek but not my doing, from the time Klepek had joined Giant Bomb until right before he left SF last year to move back to Chicago, he had lamented he didn't have a PC so he could join the conversations on those games. A Klepek fan was upgrading his machine to a state of the art rig for work and had the parts to make a damn good gaming PC so he just left the old parts together as a gaming PC and shipped it to SF for Klepek to have. This was something that would have cost more than the $400 PS4 Wombat received as a gift. This is Klepek's gaming PC to this day.

Edit: Found the gaming PC video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib2LuVIunUQ

Part 2 in another post ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Part 2

I have become a fan of the Two Best Friends Play group on YouTube that does Let's Plays both independently and also condensed 15-minute ones for Machinima. Last year after many requests they started an audio podcast, which ended up winning one of the Best New Podcast awards in 2013 from iTunes.

People love these guys so much since they talk about games that don't get as much attention (fighting/character action, etc.) and anime that they started sending items unsolicited to them, which wasn't cheap as after the podcast came out it was revealed they actually lived in Canada (something they had hidden before the podcast became a thing.) They started getting so much stuff they would make YT videos of all the stuff sent in, which got to the point of being two hours long and having to be split into two episodes each mailbag.

People kept sending so much stuff, including multiple fantasy weapons that aren't legal to own in Canada in large quantities, that they had to publically announce they would no longer publizice the stuff sent to them with videos and things they could not own would be refused and returned to sender.

Edit: TBFP Mailbag playlist: 
People giving Wombat shit for somebody sending him a $400 PS4 should see the OoP anime and weapons the TBFP crew was receiving. If someone went through all of their mailbag videos, I would suspect they had received over $10k worth of free merchandise from fans.

In closing, if someone loves the CAGCast enough to give Wombat a PS4 and he didn't beg for one from anybody and someone just gave it to him out of the kindness of their heart, then people need to lay off.

The guy who sent Wombat the PS4 as a thank you specifically asked him to keep it, and I'm sure this is the last thing he wanted to happen. If it helps, I sent a Wii U to Wombat and got a return to sender.

Anyone ever play Baseball Simulator 1000 or Super Baseball Simulator 1000? Those were the bomb. Full stat tracking and season play and the pitching/catching felt more natural than BB Stars or RBI. It also had some bizarro design choices (stadium in space) and a superhuman mode.

The "Super" SNES version is a lot better since the simulated games take a long time in the NES one.

bread's done
Back