CAGcast #72: A Doctor in the House

First time listener, first time poster.

I'm Swedish so I can't really relate to tragic events like Columbine or Virginia Tech [SIZE=-1]but I know this;

Video games and movies are pure fiction, life is not. If you don´t know the difference between fiction and non-fiction then you belong in a mental hospital.[/SIZE]

Long time listener first time poster

Just wanted to write in, in support of Wombat's GH2 theory.

We have no idea how much RO is paying in licensing.
We can't really ascertain the cost of each song on the disc, as ~50 songs at ~$50.00 = $1.00 dollar a song because for all we know the trooper cost them 10,000 and MCR paid them 37.50 to get their song in the game. And again people complain about the songs being bundled, for all we know Killer Queen should cost 4 dollars and the other 2 should clock in at a buck a piece.

To me this looks a lot like compilation discs. I can get a namco compilation with 25 variants of pacman for 15 bucks or I can download it from the market place for 400msp. I don't see people freaking out over that, it's somewhat rational 5 bucks I get leader boards, and the convenience of having it on my harddrive.

Now I have no problem with people thinking it's over priced, or even trying to get RO to comment on the price. I do how ever have problem with the way “people” are conducting themselves. Just about every forum on the net has dipped down to gamefaqs levels of flaming, you'd think red octane broke into their and house and pwned their grandma in the middle of the night.

Ps: As for videogame journalism does anyone find it kind of weird that one the best commentators on videogames goes by a marsupial alias.

Hey dudes, the player one podcast had an interesting bit about the guitar hero track packs. one of them speculated that licensing of some songs cost more than others so they rolled em into packs to avoid charging 4 dollars for one song and 1.50 for others. I thought that made a lot of sense, what do you guys think? It would explain why they toss in shitty songs with good ones.

also i would like to disagree with cheapy and wombat's assessment of the illusionist. they build up this "mystery" and then when they do the reveal at the ending, everything happened and is explained just as you would expect it would have happened. It was all built up for no pay off, no twist, but it's treated like it's suposed to be that moment in sixth sense when you realize that
bruce willis was dead all along
. The Prestige is a much better film.

Whatever the reason for them charging about $6.25 for 3 songs, it's going to cost you about 5000 marketplace points, or $62.50 just to be able to play the 30 licensed songs that are in Guitar Hero.

I agree with Cheapy, being able to select a song individually would of been a better way to go. I know I don't want all 30 of those songs anyway.

i heard that it would cost about 100 bucks for all the songs in the original guitar hero at this pricing model, but i could be wrong.

I wonder why many gamers have a such a big bug up their ass about the people in the gaming media like the feedback that was mentioned in this episode, where he was pissed off enough by Luke Smith (which is hilarious in a few ways) probably being pissed off by DLC. I don't know exactly why many people seem to have this reaction, but I'm just surprised that they have such strong reactions to it. These guys can't act like real guys or real, passionate gamers with real, passionate opinions or do they need to speak with an english accent, drink tea, and act like uptight assholes about everything? Do these people not act like that with friends or family? I'm not saying that these people need to like the guys, but if they're listening to these podcasts before, I doubt they hated them in the first place.

Hey Wombat, Guitar Hero II didn't come out at the same time as the 360, it came out last November in 2006. Guitar Hero came out in 2005, when we knew of Skater Girl, who was going to sell her custom skateboards in THAW on the 360 for major money. ;) I don't know if this was just misspeaking or whatever, but you said Guitar Hero II a lot when maybe you meant just Guitar Hero, like that the licensing deals for Guitar Hero II songs were just for the PS2 version. Anyway, you're an idiot
teh jokey joke
, but you'll just ignore this anyway like you did last week. ;) You seemed really disinterested about the news that Luke Smith is leaving 1up, but really concerned with Doug Perry's departure of IGN. What's up with that?

As for the show, the interview was good, but it seemed like the show itself was run through a garbage compactor so you guys could just put only a little effort into certain parts of the show as a result. If you have interviews that are this big, how about releasing it in whole separately and just have a little segment during the show to explain it and post your thoughts about it instead of chopping segments of the show short to fit within your imaginary time restriction? At least you did something, but it just seemed like you were doing the minimal effort just to say you did it. That's just the feeling I got out of it.

Oh yeah, CheapyD, there is a way to get that video of your dad back if you really want it, but it's not exactly 100% perfect though.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']

Hey Wombat, Guitar Hero II didn't come out at the same time as the 360, it came out last November in 2006. Guitar Hero came out in 2005, when we knew of Skater Girl, who was going to sell her custom skateboards in THAW on the 360 for major money. ;) I don't know if this was just misspeaking or whatever, but you said Guitar Hero II a lot when maybe you meant just Guitar Hero, like that the licensing deals for Guitar Hero II songs were just for the PS2 version. Anyway, you're an idiot, but you'll just ignore this anyway like you did last week. ;) You seemed really disinterested about the news that Luke Smith is leaving 1up, but really concerned with Doug Perry's departure of IGN. What's up with that?

.[/QUOTE]

Two things: I did respond to you last week, and yes I meant Guitar Hero I not GH II, but I don't think makes me an idiot. Such strong words from someone who just complained about people having a "bug up their butt" for no real reason.

[quote name='Wombat']Two things: I did respond to you last week, and yes I meant Guitar Hero I not GH II, but I don't think makes me an idiot. Such strong words from someone who just complained about people having a "bug up their butt" for no real reason.[/quote]
Please link me to it, because I don't see it anywhere in the last CAGcast thread. I ctrl-f'd your name and saw no posts.

Strong words? Where? The legitimate question, the joke, or sarcasm? The only serious enough part that could've been strong words was the observation of your response to Luke Smith's departure vs. Doug Perry, but that wasn't any kind of attack.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Please link me to it, because I don't see it anywhere in the last CAGcast thread. I ctrl-f'd your name and saw no posts.

Strong words? Where? The legitimate question, the joke, or sarcasm? The only serious enough part that could've been strong words was the observation of your response to Luke Smith's departure vs. Doug Perry, but that wasn't any kind of attack.[/QUOTE]

you were right I was getting my responses mixed up I was reffering to the time you called me ignorant, a few casts ago. The strong words was calling me an Idiot. Thats a very harsh term that I don't feel I deserve, maybe I'm just sensitive, but you can argue my points and I can be wrong at times (many times) but I don't think that puts my basic intelligence into to judgement.

[quote name='Wombat']you were right I was getting my responses mixed up I was reffering to the time you called me ignorant, a few casts ago. The strong words was calling me an Idiot. Thats a very harsh term that I don't feel I deserve, maybe I'm just sensitive, but you can argue my points and I can be wrong at times (many times) but I don't think that puts my basic intelligence into to judgement.[/quote]
I heard you predict that someone would call you an idiot, so I made the joke, but whatever. I'll just remove it if you take offense to the joke attempt. I'll just refrain from making jokes around you now. ;) Sorry for the unintentional insult.

raccoon.jpg
VS
wombat-ways.jpg

So its official I have been wrong in this thread 3 posts in a row, and have been mocked (deservedly so) by Cheapy. I will no longer post things before I have a cup of coffee ever again. Thats right I place all the blame on lack of caffine and I aplogize.

[quote name='Wombat']So its official I have been wrong in this thread 3 posts in a row, and have been mocked (deservedly so) by Cheapy. I will no longer post things before I have a cup of coffee ever again. Thats right I place all the blame on lack of caffine and I aplogize.[/quote]
Shake it off, champ. Try for a better average next week.

On another note, have you heard of the Full Moon Show, Insomniac's new podcast? I know you're generally a fan of their work, at least Ratchet, and they talk about it a lot and plenty of other things in the industry and their lives.

[quote name='CheapyD']
raccoon.jpg
VS
wombat-ways.jpg

[/quote]

lol and EVERYONE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH ITUNES DONT USE THAT GARBAGE JUST DOWNLOAD IT DIRECTLY

Well, great show once again. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up a couple of times while listening to the interview. I just Dugg it for the first time and I'm happy to say that I was the 700th. Keep up the great work, can't wait to see who will be next week's interview.

hey Cheapy, i have the Masterpiece Optimus Prime and Megatron figures. they're awesome. Want pics? ^^

I was laughin' out loud when Eureka Seven was mentioned in the cagcast.

Wombat: You know what they say, Eureka Sucks!
Cheapy: Huh . . . ? Eureka sucks? Oh, I get it!
Wombat: Oh. My. God.

Lmao, great 'cast this week guys.

the doctor was in the gametheoryshow podcast, that means that now cheappyd is in a class of it's own, nice interview cheappy, but still , I let my 7year old play gears of war, hell I BOUGHT a 400$ console, and since I don't have time to play, at least I didn't wasted 400$.And I am sick and tired of this jack thompson, how many gamers are out there, more than 100million, so if we do the math the world must've been destroyed by us, and humanity erased from the earth, we gamers must unite in some kind of campaign against that stupid man, if what he says its true I would have killed a few guys in my 20+ years of gaming, since I am 33, so .........

Great show again guys.

BTW, right now CAG needs 1 more digg to beat the PC gamer podcast. I'll be pre-emptive and give a good Mr. Burns cheer of: Huzzah!

DIGG IT! DIGG IT! DIGG IT!
UPDATE: GOT #707! WE ARE OFFICIALLY BEATING PC GAMER!

another great entertaining podcast. I like it when wombats jokes fly over cheapys head ie eureka or noahs arcade. Wombat in a robe and then the missis giving him a peep show, good stuff you dont get with other podcasts.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I wonder why many gamers have a such a big bug up their ass about the people in the gaming media like the feedback that was mentioned in this episode, where he was pissed off enough by Luke Smith (which is hilarious in a few ways) probably being pissed off by DLC. I don't know exactly why many people seem to have this reaction, but I'm just surprised that they have such strong reactions to it. These guys can't act like real guys or real, passionate gamers with real, passionate opinions or do they need to speak with an english accent, drink tea, and act like uptight assholes about everything? Do these people not act like that with friends or family? I'm not saying that these people need to like the guys, but if they're listening to these podcasts before, I doubt they hated them in the first place.
[/quote]

The 1up podcast is very good, and I agree with Luke Smith's opinions more often than not, but sometimes I wish they (not just him) would just chill out. Their podcast can be pretty funny when they aren't trying so hard, but yeah, thats the reason why they are my 2nd podcast of choice.

finally finished the podcast today. Wombat's GH2 explanation was very well said. the man is one damn articulate fella. ^^

btw, Colbert Report isn't free, you're paying for Cable or Satellite TV, Wombat :)

Wombat, honestly sometimes I wonder about you. You never wear clothes more then one day in a row? When I would go deer hunting in the Winter there are times we do not bath or change clothes (except for my underwear) for two or three days. It brings you back to the ways your ancestors.

I have to agree with CheapyD, that when I bought my XBox 360 I compared it to my XBox, but when I bought my Wii, and PS3 I found myself comparing them to the 360. I never owned a GameCube so I had nothing to compare the Wii to except my DS. The PS3 I find myself thinking, I wish it handled this or that like the 360. I wonder if Microsoft knew that would happen, or if they were just trying to get their hardware out there to retailers first and this is just an added perk.

This whole Guitar Hero 2 song pack is a load of crap. Just like CheapyD was saying, it is like buying CDs. You have to pay $15.00 to get two songs you like. Although this is not an uncommon practice Cable companies do it too. At least in the USA, if cable providers like Charter, Quest, or Time Warner want to carry one specific channel like FOX. FOX network will say you can carry FOX, but you also have to offer FOX News, Fox Sports, and a few other FOX channels. And they do not bundle them in for free, the cable company has to pay the FOX network a set amount per month per subscriber. This is why you have 199 channels and there is nothing on TV.

Wombat is probably right, that who ever owns the rights to the songs are the ones that are contributing to the price that we pay online. Although it would not shock me if it was the RIAA that was nudging them to force bundled packages. You know they have their greedy little hands in there somewhere. Side note, did anyone else read that the RIAA has now surpassed Lawyers as being the most hated professional organization.

The Ronald McDonald of Microsoft. WOW, Wombat is calling out Larry Hryb. I listen to Major Nelson’s show and just wanted to make a couple of comments. First he works on the XBox LIVE team. Second Microsoft does not finance his Podcast in anyway. He says he pays for the website and all the equipment that he uses to produce Major Nelson. Now with his position within Microsoft allows him to access to personal and games with in Microsoft that probably help out his Podcast quite a bit. I think sometimes he spins some things that are on the XBox console to be a little better then they really are, but for the most part I really enjoy his Podcast.

Dr. Mikey, I really enjoyed your interview. I would like to get a copy of your paper. I have a medical degree, and my wife is a healthcare provider so I think she can translate the big words for me.

As always a great show and I look forward to having CheapyD and Wombat help me get through another hour of work next Wednesday.

The answer is much more simple, its all just GREED. btw Jaffe is wrong about bluray. Just like MS poopooed hdmi when ps3 was launching now we have the elite. Disc media isnt going anywhere anytime soon and storage capacity always matters. Believe it or not, alot of people still use vcrs!!! I know some of those assholes.

Glad to see someone came around to the joys of Paper Mario. The previous title for the Gamecube was my favorite title on the system (yes, even beating out RE4), and a huge part of my enjoyment was reading the terrific localization, full of Mario series jokes.

I've only played a couple hours of Super Paper Mario, but so far I am impressed that they kept the same sense of humor, and I just hope there are more jokes about Luigi, since they never get old.

Also, whoever came up with the idea of switching from 2D to 3D is a genius.

Alligators are cool. Also, Digg Numeral: 710...thank you very much.

So, until Wombat starts a Belizean Cock Fighting cartel, make mine Marv..., um, Cheap Ass Gamer

I was having a crappy day when I heard Wombat call Major Nelson "Ronald McDonald with a podcast". Thanks for making my day a bit better.

Thanks once again for a great podcast! I find myself cracking up to Wombat's shenanigans with increasing frequency each time. Thanks for making the CAGcast banner small, IT HAS BEEN DUGG! Number 719.

I don't know...I like Cheapy's point that Wombat kept talking over; if the high cost of GHII DLC can be chalked up to the songwriter's greed, how was Red Octane/Activision able to release the game, on a disc, with printed manual and the guitar for $90? At the DLC prices it should have cost about $150. I think RO saw an opportunity to gouge the buyers of a popular franchise and did so.

They've managed to take one of the most highly anticipated X360 games of the year and ruin it with greed. First no online head-to-head, then a wired controller, now this.

Great show guys. I really enjoyed the interview about the violence in video games studies.

That said, I couldn’t disagree more with Wombat on who to blame for the Guitar Hero 2 downloadable content pricing. Wombat, it sounds like your argument is that because Guitar Hero 2 is so popular now, the musicians and music companies feel they can get away with gouging Red Octane on their royalties. You seem to have bought into Major Nelson’s smokescreen, hook line and sinker. First of all, we don’t even know if they even had to renegotiate their contracts, because Red Octane has been completely silent on this issue. But then there’s iTunes, hands down the most popular and successful downloadable media hub, which is able to drop the actual songs (not covers) for $1 a pop. Are you saying that Guitar Hero 2 is more popular than iTunes? Shouldn’t prices for both services be level, all things considered? If you’re right on this, doesn’t that mean GH3 will probably be over $100 just for the game itself?

The real blame lies in the consumers who actually buy these overpriced bundles. Red Octane/Activision may have the most say in the price, but they wouldn’t be charging $6.25 for 3 songs if they didn’t think there’s a market full of morons that will pay them whatever they want.

I was also a little disappointed to hear that Cheapy would be willing to pay $2 a song if they sold them individually. What happened to being a cheap ass gamer? These should be 50-80 pts per song and not a penny more.

Okay I played Guitar Hero in Best Buy. It was fun and I liked the feel of it. Yet I still am amazed that people buy it. I think it is an arcade game at best.You know a game you play when you get to the movies too early and have to wait while they clean the theatre. I would not buy Outrun for my PS2 so why would I buy Guitar Hero.I would rather play a real guitar.

First of all, great show. This was the first interview(or anything that wasn't talking directly about new games) that I liked, so good job. Sadly, it was all too timely, but given how quickly certain unnamed assholes tried to connect video games, this piece was excellent.

On a lighter note, I love Wombat's description of Maj. Nelson as the "Ronald McDonald" of xbox live. I've been thinking of that whenever I listen to any "official" podcast this past week. I especially liked thinking of Dr. Tony Phillips, who does podcasts and other news/press release stuff for NASA as the "Ronald McDonald of NASA."

[quote name='polly']
But then there’s iTunes, hands down the most popular and successful downloadable media hub, which is able to drop the actual songs (not covers) for $1 a pop. Are you saying that Guitar Hero 2 is more popular than iTunes? Shouldn’t prices for both services be level, all things considered? If you’re right on this, doesn’t that mean GH3 will probably be over $100 just for the game itself?

The real blame lies in the consumers who actually buy these overpriced bundles. Red Octane/Activision may have the most say in the price, but they wouldn’t be charging $6.25 for 3 songs if they didn’t think there’s a market full of morons that will pay them whatever they want.

[/quote]

You're exactly right. They charge the highest possible amount they think people will pay. iTunes songs are so cheap not because they have a good deal, but because the companies learned from experience that people will simply download the songs illegally if they can't buy them cheaply. Until there is an option/hack to load tracks into GH without buying them from the company, the price won't go down. It's a monopoly, pure and simple. And in a monopoly they can charge whatever they want because they know you really don't have a choice.

I just like to say I enjoyed this latest episode so much , especially the 1st 10 min they were so funny and had such a classic original show to it. Grade A show Cheapy And Wombat I loved it a lot.

Before the next CAGCast I just wanted to also commend you CheapyD and Wombat on a great show last week. While in my college days the thought of a professor would not generate much excitement I now very much appreciated your guest and the straghtforward way he handled the topic. Very insightful information. Bring on more guests!

Wombat,
A similar thing to the Wonder Years scenario happened with the TV series Charmed. The three sisters on the show in the story owned a night club in San Francisco and many new real-life acts played on the show at the end of the episodes. Also, each episode had a featured song that was advertised at the end of the show.

This was the first WB/CW show that did this and they ran into the same thing as the Wonder Years when trying to put the show out on DVD. Even though the show started in 1999, the first season did not come out on DVD until Feb. 05 when the licensing deals with the artists for their songs was worked out. They then started to pump out the seasons every few months, with 7 of the 8 seasons being released between Feb. 05 and now.

I really like the show but it's crap on DVD: no extras and only 4:3 format even though most of the seasons were shown in high def and the repeats are shown in high def on TNT on weekdays.

bread's done
Back