CAGcast #78: And Thorbahn Makes Three

[quote name='strummerbs']The live shows do seem to present technical and pacing problems that perhaps cannot be overcome. If you want to get the community more involved, a good idea might be to have the old method of submission of questions via forum posts. You could then pick the questions you wanted to address and have the author of the question call in at a specific time and discuss their question. Thus, you would have a much better handle on making sure that the calls are worthwhile and could be handled in a more seamless fashion. Just a thought.[/quote]

I second this idea. :bomb:

[quote name='Walt Jay']How about posting the unedited version for the live Cagcast in the shownotes for those prefer that? The front page's show link can be the edited version, and the shownotes can have the edited and the unrated special edition director's unedited cut.[/quote]

i would pay 10 dollars to hear the madness again...and to hear myself again live.

Are we barking up the wrong tree here, Cheapy? Is the whole goal of having callers on a videogame podcast to play into that supposedly ironic, 'so bad it's good' mentality that seems to permeate so much of what the gaming 'community' is about? I mean, maybe you two already realize that you're not going to get lively, distinct personalities, so why not embrace what's inevitable?

If that's the case, I personally still can't dig (just one "g") it. But I do like how 'short' you are with most, hanging up on them without warning half the time.

Hey everyone...just wanted to confirm who the winner of the DS Lite Giveaway is and that we are running the same promotion again.

The winner that was announced on the CAGCast is KingsofNewYork -- he responded to me yesterday saying he'd like the black DS Lite...

Again, to be eligble for the current DS Lite Giveaway promotion all you have to do is signup on Goozex and fill in the coupon code CAG-2007

The coupon gives you after your first successful trade 100 bonus points & 5 free trade credits

That's basically a free game!

Happy Trading!

p.s. The secret behind the name Goozex will be revealed when the next winner is announced.

[quote name='figcoinc']
I agree with others that announcing a Live CAGcast on the main page would be a good thing.[/quote]

I agree. I had no clue another live show was going on.

CheapyD doesn't have the balls to post the unedited versions of either live show... that's a guarantee. You can tell by the way he edits the show that he doesn't want anyone to hear the mistakes. The result is an edit that's too clean and too fake. The edited version of the live show is a misrepresentation of what actually went down.

And to those who missed it, it was the funniest meltdown *ever*.

I lost the caller.
Wait, I lost another caller.
Hello, are you there?
Wait.
I lost Wombat.
Wombat, Wombat, how sweet the sound!
Hey you, you're the new Wombat.
Wait, Wombat is back...

Wombat reenters 20 minutes later.

Don't blame me, you hung up on me!
Hang up third person...
No!!!!

I think we've done enough show for today...

Still listening and I just got to the Nintendo section. Guys I'll help you figure out the VS System. It's not that hard and is very fun once you learn the ins and outs of the game. In the feedback of the last live show I believe I put up a link to the old online tutorial on the UDE website, I can find it again for you. Any questions please feel free to ask!

Hey guys, enjoyed the show as always this week. Thank god you're now broadcasting live, otherwise we might miss out on all the fine contributions from Thorbahn and...uh, well, yeah. Anyway, I'm just writing in to say that I have sources inside Wombat Headquarters, and my sources have confirmed that the project Major Nelson and Wombat are collaborating on is an off-Broadway production of The Vagina Clown Monologues. Wombat is assisting Major Nelson with putting together the script and is also the Executive Producer in charge of Fax Machine acquisitions. Keep up the good work.

OK now I've finished the podcast and what's the deal Cheapy not mentioning the CAG NHL 2K7 league?! Especially since you got to the semifinals? Other than that great show.

Wombat and Cheapy, my offer for assistance in Marvel TCG is still open.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Still listening and I just got to the Nintendo section. Guys I'll help you figure out the VS System. It's not that hard and is very fun once you learn the ins and outs of the game. In the feedback of the last live show I believe I put up a link to the old online tutorial on the UDE website, I can find it again for you. Any questions please feel free to ask![/QUOTE]

please post the tutorial! heh, im having problems with he game too :(

Cheapy, if you're having trouble getting positive Nintendo news, just tell their sales numbers. Because we all know their machines print money.

Idea for you guys. On the Keith and the Girl podcast they have a system where they will email or text message you when they are doing a live show. I think something like that is best if you are not always going to be live at regular times.

I really don't see how you could not recommend a game just because it is online only, Cheapy. Think about the number of games, priced at full price, that only have online play, but yet still have a massive fanbase. A perfect example is something like Counter-strike. The game, when released at MSRP was full price, and there are plenty of people who play the game. Another example is MMO rpgs. You pay 50 dollars for a game. As if that wasn't enough, you then pay a monthly fee (usually 15 dollars a month) to even play it! And then you get the 30-40 dollar expansions, and people will throw down their money hands down on those expansions.

I am not saying that Shadowrun is a great game, I'm just saying that you shouldn't criticize it so much for being online only.

[quote name='kyogensho']I was just avoiding work this morning.. looking for examples on how to setup a call screener for a skype broad cast and I ran across this link.. seems like good guidelines for people calling in, and it also seems like they are just having people contact the screener, the screener screens, then passes the call information on to the DJ.. the DJ then calls the listener.

Deviant Audio[/quote]
I didn't follow the link, but that's exactly what I had in mind.

Sure, it might eliminate some of the spontaneity, but at least the show won't come to a complete stop due to one bad caller.

[quote name='AshesofWake']please post the tutorial! heh, im having problems with he game too :([/quote]

http://entertainment.upperdeck.com/marvel/en/demo.aspx

This gives you the basic rules for the game and walks through a couple of turns. It does not have the setup/interface of the DS/PSP versions, but it should help you understand the difference between the character cards and the blue/green/grey cards, and how to use them. Always open for advice if anyone needs it.

I'm sorry, but I find the live shows are an annoying mess. I've listened to every CAGcast since episode 1, but I may be skipping the live shows in the future. The best part of the CAGcast has always been the chemistry between Cheapy and Wombat, adding the call-in segments derails any momentum and natural fluidity that the show normally builds up.

I understand you want to keep the show fresh and doing the same thing every week can sometimes be boring for both listerners and the hosts, but live shows are not the answer.

As usual, I liked the show....Since I'm in the Netherlands I don't listen to the live show, but the edited one is cool too.....anyway, I liked your mentioning of the R4 card for the Nintendo DS.
I know it's obvious people use it to play their downloaded games, but there is so much more to these flashcards than just Piracy.
The best piece of software ever to appear on the DS is Comic Book Reader.....
It's free and is a real nice way to read comics, wherever you are....the comics don't take much space on your flashcard, so even on a long trip you could take dozens of comics with you....http://gnese.free.fr/NDS/ComicBookDS/

a comment to all my fellow CAG buddies on when you call in: don't be nervous and be ready to talk to the guys when they pick up your call. everyone always seems to be completely off-guard when Cheapy picks up their calls.

btw, Castle Crashers is definitely delayed until 2008...sucks...

[quote name='DJSteel']i'm sorry but thorbahn was a borderline stalking with the calls[/QUOTE]

I was going to stop after the Sony part but they forgot Pac Man and Microsoft did invite Wombat there so he'd talk about it on the show. Then HiredGeek's audio crashed and I was tired of listening to Cheapy trying to get other callers who also didn't get through like Dingleberry.

[quote name='lspear76']CheapyD doesn't have the balls to post the unedited versions of either live show... that's a guarantee. You can tell by the way he edits the show that he doesn't want anyone to hear the mistakes. The result is an edit that's too clean and too fake. The edited version of the live show is a misrepresentation of what actually went down.
[/quote] http://www.cheapassgamer.com/podcast/cagcast78unedited.mp3

If I didn't want anyone to hear the mistakes, I wouldn't do a live show in the first place...duh.
I'll add it to the OP. I probably wont post #76 though. The way it was recorded, it needs to be pieced together, and I just don't feel like doing it.
So, this guarantee you posted...what exactly did it entail? I'm ready to cash in.

I like the Live Shows, but I miss the interviews you had. You had some of the most intresting people there and I got really excited to hear them because they wern't the people the big gaming websites interview and actually had a different take on things. What would be cool is if you let the people go wombat style and let them share their comments about stuff then you two guys talk about it.

[quote name='CheapyD']http://www.cheapassgamer.com/podcast/cagcast78unedited.mp3

If I didn't want anyone to hear the mistakes, I wouldn't do a live show in the first place...duh.
I'll add it to the OP. I probably wont post #76 though. The way it was recorded, it needs to be pieced together, and I just don't feel like doing it.
So, this guarantee you posted...what exactly did it entail? I'm ready to cash in.[/QUOTE]

I didn't even realize you posted it until now.

I also knew that you'd probably post it if I called you out on it. You're a master editor, but I'm a master manipulator. "What, he says I have no balls! Wait... I have balls!" So basically the only guarantee is that since I called you out, you felt pressure to save face and therefore posted the unedited version. It's a win for the listeners. They should thank me instead of calling me a moron!

Thanks for posting it!

bread's done
Back