CAGcast #80: Rebooting Your Face

[quote name='lspear76']I find it funny when people can talk bs about others, but can't take it when it's about them. You can call me a dick. I can take it. See? Nice and breezy. Cumbat took it like a man when I said his life is pathetic, he can't hold a job, he is broke, his apartment is small, his apartment is rat infested, etc. He took it like a man and went on playing his 360 that doesn't open or read discs, while getting up to swat the rats that were chewing his power brick. You see? And when he asked that 500 pound guy if he was "calling from a treadmill," he said it for all the right reasons, from the bottom of his heart, just as he did when he said Larry Hyrb is a "Vagina Clown" and "the Ronald McDonald of Microsoft."

There, I said what I wanted to say. I'm not posting in this neo-conservative, free speech rejectin', gun-totin forum until next week's show.

And one more thing. Your podcast persuaded me to buy every TG16 game released last week on the Virtual Console -- Bloody Wolf AND World Sports Competition. Hahahahahahahahahahaha! The joke is on you! Time to grab a Wii Points card and license Dead Moon for 600 more points![/quote]

What the fuck is your problem dude?

HD dvd war is way beyond over, the only thing that keeps non tech gadgets people from getting a hdtv and hd dvd player is the prices, as soon as the hd dvd players drop to the 200$ like price, be it BD or HDDVD, then the consumers will get them, and also when hdtv sets get lower in price also, I've been on the fence, about getting a hdtv set for price reasons, although this christmas will be it, since I no longer can afford playing my 360 in sd tv.

And by the way Blockbuster....of course blu-ray is more active than hd-dvd ...you are taking in consideration that the vast majority is because of the ps3 , right?If in the long run, hd-dvd gets cheaper sooner than blu-ray, the tide could turn over, and then suddenly hd-dvd is the most used hd format, so lets wait and see.....

I for one format winner , dont care, I still believe dvd's have a couple more years to fade away.

I think Blu-Ray will take a while to come around. I don't know about the USA but In Canada it took DVDs almost 7 years to come around to the point where everyone wanted a player and toss their VHS permanently. DVDs came out like 1997 (correct me if I'm wrong if I am) and in 2003 DVD rentals outdid VHS rentals. I personally started with DVDs around then as well. Blu-Ray as far as retail sales and rentals started in 2005-2006 and I don't expect to see a final judgement on which format is the winner until 2011-2012.... Oh God I will be in my early 30s then :S

Damn CheapyD stop your 360 fanboyism is showing.

First you say you stopped listening to the interview with the PSN guy after he said that one thing, WHICH if you listen further he says that he likes that the 360 has an achievement system and that you can stay in contact with friends through every game and invite them through what ever game you play...

And then you play that stupid fanboy "ridge racer" clip. After some good news for the PS3. Wow, I feel like im listening to 360cast.

And Wombat says HD doesnt matter? Uh, Planet Earth on Bluray not say anything to you?

Doesnt matter to the "average consumer" wtf is the average consumer? Grandma's at home that try to watch Golden Girls on VHS? Everyone wants better quality shit, and as the price goes down on HDTV you'll see a higher demand for the format that acctually lets them enjoy their movies at its full potential.

And watching Apocolypto on Bluray seriously made me a Bluray believer. And I dont even have a 1080p setup. I did not think that Bluray would look that good on 720p.

This live show was not very good, but it sounds like Cheapy is committed to giving it a fair trial run. Then how about doing 2 shows? The regular formated show with a formal structure and properly edited and then a live anything goes kind of show later in the week. I, for one, would love more Cagcasts!

I've never made a comment about the cagcast, up until now:

You know what? I absolutely LOVE IT when you Call Bullshit on comments made by PR reps of sony/microsoft/nintendo.

That's why my favorite episode of all time was when Wombat had an "Angry Wombat" segment and made some really harsh comments towards Capcom and about the video game industry. I think the comment was about Dead Rising's save system. But anyways, the point is, as much as I love Capcom, I was not offended, because 1) it was refreshing to hear some TRUTH and 2) it wasn't the typical apologetic PR rep regurgitation. If I wanted the usual corporate PR rep mumbo jumbo, I'd just read a video game magazine (EGM, I'm looking at you). And thats why I like the cagcast.

Get my drift?

Stick with honesty, even if you offend the fanboys.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Damn CheapyD stop your 360 fanboyism is showing.

First you say you stopped listening to the interview with the PSN guy after he said that one thing, WHICH if you listen further he says that he likes that the 360 has an achievement system and that you can stay in contact with friends through every game and invite them through what ever game you play...

And then you play that stupid fanboy "ridge racer" clip. After some good news for the PS3. Wow, I feel like im listening to 360cast.

And Wombat says HD doesnt matter? Uh, Planet Earth on Bluray not say anything to you?

Doesnt matter to the "average consumer" wtf is the average consumer? Grandma's at home that try to watch Golden Girls on VHS? Everyone wants better quality shit, and as the price goes down on HDTV you'll see a higher demand for the format that acctually lets them enjoy their movies at its full potential.

And watching Apocolypto on Bluray seriously made me a Bluray believer. And I dont even have a 1080p setup. I did not think that Bluray would look that good on 720p.[/QUOTE]

I never said I didnt think blue ray dosnt look better, its looks alot better on some things, i.e. Planet Earth. But the price on Movies is still to high for most people to fully adapt the system. I like owning my DVDs but right now the discs cost too much and there still not a strong reason for a non PS3 owner to adapt to the new medium. Upscalled DVDs look good too

When I listened to the cast live last night, I completely disagreed with Wombat about "neither HD format winning the war/both losing." Reading the thread here, though, reminded me of why he might be right--the future of the download. Even though I haven't splurged on a HDTV yet (an HDTV?), a good portion of my "tv-viewing" lately is shows downloaded from the iTunes store, on my tv through my iPod/iPod dock combo. Though I haven't downloaded any movies that way, yet, I could easily see downloads becoming the norm and beating out both HD disc formats.

Any idea what caused the lag this time around with Stickam? It was a bit surprising, given that it hadn't shown up before that I was aware of.

As always, enjoyed the show :)
/tk

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Damn CheapyD stop your 360 fanboyism is showing.[/QUOTE]

If you listen to the show he did mention the PS3 being the best deal for the money out of all the new systems(if you have use for the features that make it the best deal). I dont think a 360 fanboy would say that(or own a ps3 for that matter).

[quote name='trip1eX']Stump the Retailer was good, but could be sped up a bit. 5-10 seconds to answer in before you get buzzed?[/quote]

Although the live callers have been pretty bad, the stump the retailer bit was good.

It may take them a few more live episodes to work the bugs out. The Shipwreck's show was a little rough the first time out but was fine from the 2nd on.

I still think a live call-in show will be tough just because radio talk shows typically have a hard time with it and they've got a broader audience and folks who do nothing but deal with callers each day.

[quote name='terpkristin']Even though I haven't splurged on a HDTV yet (an HDTV?), a good portion of my "tv-viewing" lately is shows downloaded from the iTunes store, on my tv through my iPod/iPod dock combo.[/quote]

I do the same thing with AppleTV.

I got tired of paying $90+/month for expanded digital cable (what we all used to just call cable). I was only watching 2-3 shows a week and I had the whole DVR deal happening.

Anyway, I decided to do the AppleTV deal (ditch the cable boxes) and it's a lot cheaper buying a few shows here or there than it is to buy everything each month and watch (mostly) nothing. I had gotten to a point where I wouldn't even turn my TV most days out of the week.

Now, when I want to watch a TV show it's there - no commercials, I just watch it. I do have an HD/QAM tuner for local channels (I kept the local (basic) service ($15/month) with my internet connection).

While it wouldn't work for everyone, it does work well for me.

[quote name='Wombat']Thats a not an acurate representation of me, sometimes I say nope or Nah. OK now back to the realms of cyrodyl, I wonder where Mrs. Wombat hid my Wizard hat[/QUOTE]

Don't take it the wrong way, Wombat. Its not that I have anything against you personally. Its like....an intervention. You like the person, you just see a behavior that needs to be addressed. I can handle it if you don't have the time or means to contribute to new releases every week, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't steer the conversation to Oblivion every time there's an opening.

[quote name='agapens']Don't take it the wrong way, Wombat. Its not that I have anything against you personally. Its like....an intervention. You like the person, you just see a behavior that needs to be addressed. I can handle it if you don't have the time or means to contribute to new releases every week, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't steer the conversation to Oblivion every time there's an opening.[/quote]

I dont find anything wrong with the way Wombat brought up Oblivion. He was only talking about his latest purchase. It's not like he brought it up out of thin air.

great show as usual...

cheapy, just wondering, what equipment do you and wombat use to record the cagcast? im pretty sure this was posted awhile ago, but i cant find it. let me know, thanks!

Just chiming in real quick (without reading anything before this, so sorry for any rehashing).

I liked the show and thought you guys did well with the live version despite all of the problems. I wanted to comment about the game where Cheapy called the Beepstops. I enjoyed it, but my only beef was all of the confusion during it. I think it would be improved if you called it "Elite or Newb" or something similar and had the player say if the employee was "Elite" (correct) or a "Newb" (incorrect). This would prevent all of this confusing talk like, "He said he was going to be wrong and the clerk was right so he was wrong." All three of you were getting confused by this, so I think this little tweak could help.

You don't have to use my Elite/Newb words, that's just an idea. Smart/dumb synonyms abound.

(Translation Key: Elite = 1337, Newb = n00b)

Is it just me or is the CAGcast downloading suuuuperslooooow? Jeez, PS3 might release a good game before this DL finishes.... /zing

CheapyD, I think your voice sounds more like Yogi Bear than Top Cat.

On the next Cagcast you should play a clip of Yogi saying "I'm smaaaaarter than the average bear".

That was horrible. From clueless caller to many spans of dead air to not knowing the news (ahem Wombat) to general lack of interest.

Oh yeah, Wombat crossed over from being a sarcastic co-host to a complete a-hole.

It honestly sounded like you recorded a practice session.

Just wanted to reiterate what's been said as far as loving the Stump the Retailer portion. Much more interesting than the "Name that tune" portion.

I really appreciate all the effort you put into editing these shows; I have never heard them live as I'm at work during that time, but the podcast editions flow just like a normal show.

I was about to say the quality of callers improved when I heard the Manhunt discussion, but then I listened to the rest of the show. It's a good point that retailers have essentially made the "M" rating what the "Ao" rating was supposed to stand for.

The live callers got even worse. Either they were clueless or they tried to be funny but weren't. Can't wait for the next show.

I can't understand all the frustration with the 2 minutes Wombat spent talking about Oblivion. 1up has commercials for the other shows I don't listen to, but I just fast forward through them. It's not that hard.

[quote name='sying']Is it just me or is the CAGcast downloading suuuuperslooooow? Jeez, PS3 might release a good game before this DL finishes.... /zing[/quote]Same here, i thought it was my internet connection, but it's not...

i guess the server is acting up , taking 40 minutes fo a 40 mb mp3.

I agree with wombat on the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray issue. I believe Blu-ray will win the war in the long run because of the PS3 but right now I do not feel the need to spend all that money on an HD-TV and high def player. My games would look better but i work the midnight shift and a local retailer and getting through college. I will only buy a game for less than $10 unless it is something i really want. To me, it is an issue of money. With blockbuster not carrying the HD-DVD's anymore , they are not letting the consumer decide what product they want to pick up. When did retailers decide what i want i decide what i want. On to another topic, i love the show. I have only listened for about 6 episodes. Of all the video game podcasts, you guys are the funniest and most informative.

If I could request a subject for a future show...
Maybe someone from the ESRB could be interviewed (if they even allow that).
I would love to know how games get rated.
For instance, did someone sit down and actually play through the entire Manhunt 2 game?
Did Rockstar have to supply a list of everything in the game that meets certain criteria?
It is amazing that one thing could have sent the game to an AO rating and basically killed it dead, so to speak.

Thanks.

thank you Wombat for correcting Cheapy on pronouncing "episodic". that was annoying me. maybe Cheapy has been living in Japan for too long, hehe

i also really enjoyed Stump the Retailer, that was great. nice little homage to Stern ^^

finally, it's true, PS3 only comes with composite cables. if you want HD, go buy component or HDMI cables.

btw, let me add you guys to my friend lists. i get no love... ;_;

[quote name='usickenme']That was horrible. From clueless caller to many spans of dead air to not knowing the news (ahem Wombat) to general lack of interest.

Oh yeah, Wombat crossed over from being a sarcastic co-host to a complete a-hole.

It honestly sounded like you recorded a practice session.[/QUOTE]

I thought I was pretty well read for this ep too, help me out what should I have studied up on better? (keep in mind that when I say "No, Cheapy, tell me about it" Its an opening for him to explain what the item is about) And when did I cross that line from charming sarcasm to A-hole. I appreciate the feedback.

[quote name='Wombat']I thought I was pretty well read for this ep too, help me out what should I have studied up on better? (keep in mind that when I say "No, Cheapy, tell me about it" Its an opening for him to explain what the item is about) And when did I cross that line from charming sarcasm to A-hole. I appreciate the feedback.[/quote]

I don't agree with anything that guy you quoted said, but I'd like to hear you and Cheapy sharing the news. Cheapy presents one item and then you present another, I think it would make the CAGcast flow a lot nicer.

It would lessen Cheapy's vice grip over the CAGcast and increase your impact as a cohost.

I'm loving the show, keep it up.

Let me start off by saying I usually like your presence on the show. (And I did like the treadmill joke). However, it seemed you were really on Cheapy's case about everything.

I don't want to break it down Zapruder film style but things like "is that your attempt at humor?" (I thought it was funny), constant correcting and the general tone that you are so much smart smarter than Cheapy. I know you don't think that way but it sounded like that.

Also not knowing about certain games until you see it in the outline. C'mon Zack and Wiki has been a recent forum thread.

I don't want to make this an indictment of all things Wombat. I generally like your comments and I couldn't imagine the CAGcast w/o you. I just seemed you were extra cranky this ep.

p.s.

[quote name='Wombat'] (keep in mind that when I say "No, Cheapy, tell me about it" Its an opening for him to explain what the item is about) [/QUOTE]

Yeah, anyone who has watched an infomerical is aware of the "no tell me about it" line

[quote name='usickenme']Let me start off by saying I usually like your presence on the show. (And I did like the treadmill joke). However, it seemed you were really on Cheapy's case about everything.

I don't want to break it down Zapruder film style but things like "is that your attempt at humor?" (I thought it was funny), constant correcting and the general tone that you are so much smart smarter than Cheapy. I know you don't think that way but it sounded like that.

Also not knowing about certain games until you see it in the outline. C'mon Zack and Wiki has been a recent forum thread.

I don't want to make this an indictment of all things Wombat. I generally like your comments and I couldn't imagine the CAGcast w/o you. I just seemed you were extra cranky this ep.

p.s.

Yeah, anyone who has watched an infomerical is aware of the "no tell me about it" line[/QUOTE]

I see your point and for the most part I agree with you and will offer this explanation for my attitude, for the last week up until yesterday, My Boss needed to be out of town unexpectedly due to a death in his family, so then boom! I was the "acting" boss for the last week and a half, literally up until about 2 minutes before the show I was still fielding work calls on my cell phone, so I was bit more stressed than usual. Arguing contract minutia at 8pm is still better than sniffing Milk though

I just wanted to say that I have a theory about browsing the internet on the 360... I don't think they'll port Internet Explorer over to the 360, but I do think they'll add the Deepfish browser to the 360 at some point. If you think about it, the Deepfish browser is perfect for the 2 analog stick navigation. The left stick would move the selection box around while the right stick would enlarge or shrink the selection box. Then, you'd hit A to zoom in/out. Overall, I think Deepfish is much better fit for the 360 control scheme than IE is.

I’m sorry, Cheapy and Wombat. I was on the fence to this point, but this episode cinched it for me. The live podcasts must die. I love my CAG brothers and sisters, but somehow the callers on these shows (with the exception of Thorbahn and one or two others) have proven themselves mumbling, clueless, unfunny, mouth-breathers. Moreover, the poor sound quality (which was not resolved in this episode, despite Cheapy’s assurances last time that it would be), the constant rebooting, and the dead air wait for people to call/respond/figure out how to turn down their speakers was painful and brought the show to a dead stop at several points.

I feel bad, because I know these episodes seem fun and interesting for the hosts and make Cheapy feel like Howard Stern. But I wish we could make you see that they are NOT fun for your listeners. Maybe I can illustrate it this way: When I downloaded last week’s CAGcast and saw that it was two hours long, I thought I’d be bored silly. But I wasn’t. It was one of the best episodes ever. Funny, lively, consistently interesting. But this episode, despite being a half-hour shorter, seemed twice as long and half as enjoyable. Maybe a call screener is the answer. I don’t know. I just know that the live shows are cooling my interest in the CAGcast after almost two years of dedicated listening.

On the up side, I did enjoy “Stump the Retailer.” That was one of the few things that worked with the live format (though could be just as entertaining if played with Wombat alone). And I like the use of the sound buttons.

As to the Blu Ray/HD DVD discussion: I tend to agree with Cheapy that one of the formats is going to win...eventually. But I think Wombat is correct in that 90% of the general public doesn’t understand the advantage of high definition formats over DVD or even standard def TV and doesn’t really care. There was a recent study that said 55% of the households with HDTVs are NOT feeding it HD content. That’s crazy. And I’m quite sure the vast majority of the WalMart crowd thinks regular DVDs ARE high definition. So these new formats have a tough road to hoe.

Add to that the fact that there are currently only about 250 titles available on each of the HD disc formats. For comparison, Netflix offers well over 80,000 standard DVD titles. The only thing that even remotely interests me on Blu Ray or HD DVD at this point is Planet Earth, and I already have that in HD on my DVR. When Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and Criterion Collection titles start coming out on HD discs, THEN I’ll take notice.

That is a great game. I am trying to get people's friend codes to start playing. Only one person responded on the thread I put in the Nintendo CAG forum. Perhaps if Wombat starts playing others will.

PPL: 395239080471

I dug the show. Sure, there were hiccups, but that's to be expected.

To Wombat: When DVD launched in the US around 10 years ago, I was paying $30 - 40 per movie. BDs will start to become more affordable as more players make their way into the market - just like DVD. Actually, Blu-Ray already has a leg up on DVD, because you couldn't rent DVDs until the format was around three years old. With Netflix and Blockbuster adopting BDs this early in their lifespan, they're sort of being given a headstart.

Honestly I think Cheapy and Wombat do a pretty good job considering they dont' have the resources or funding of a typical radio station. This podcast is done by two guys who live worlds away from eachother. The podcasts from 1up are done in a studio, and are backed by considerable funding. I have faith somehow these live casts can get refined. I'm pretty shocked that most of the listeners just dick around though. If you aren't listening because you're interested, why waste your time on the show?

I don't know if somebody has pointed this out before, so ignore me if it's come up.

Cheapy, I have to call you out on something. For a number of sequential episodes you have opening discussed your anti-piracy stance when it comes to videogames.

However I've noticed that when somebody brings up a movie or television show that you have seen, nine times out of ten you hit that the material is bootlegged from bittorrent. An example being 300. How can you condem one form of piracy, but then play coy about another?

Personally, I don't care what you bootleg. Go ahead and bootlet my face if you want, I just like causing trouble on web forums.

PS, I'm slightly drunk.

Cheapy, you missed the most important part of that interview where it talks about user-created content for games - such as modes - possibly being possible. :)

And I have a suggestion, instead of having people call in during the show, at the end of each show just do a segment where listeners can call in and ask questions or voice their opinions. The calls during the show never work as people never talk about what the topic at hand is for whatever reason.

I started joining your listener base around several months ago and have found your podcast to peak my interest as a fresh perspective, ie. not the usual repetitive corporate dialogue you hear from most media outlets.

I think you guys have a winning formula and can only get better (as apparant from your first few online podcasts). I encourage you guys to keep up with the online calls, it will give the podcast even more variety from the norm. True, the caller's are a little off topic and usually contribute little insight, but I feel that this issue can be fixed through time in learning how to field out the right questions to the listener base. It's obvious that Cheapy atleast knows how to dump a caller when he calls just to listen to himself chattering live about nothing ;).

Anyways, this is my first post and it is a sign of more to come. Just wanted to let you guys know you're doing great and to keep at it!

[quote name='G-Dog']I don't know if somebody has pointed this out before, so ignore me if it's come up.

Cheapy, I have to call you out on something. For a number of sequential episodes you have opening discussed your anti-piracy stance when it comes to videogames.

However I've noticed that when somebody brings up a movie or television show that you have seen, nine times out of ten you hit that the material is bootlegged from bittorrent. An example being 300. How can you condem one form of piracy, but then play coy about another?

Personally, I don't care what you bootleg. Go ahead and bootlet my face if you want, I just like causing trouble on web forums.

PS, I'm slightly drunk.[/quote]

Thats a brilliant point. I honestly get anoyed when people try to take the moral high ground when it comes to piracy and tell others its wrong. Cheapy does always seem to get his movies and tv shows pirated, unless we're misunderstanding. Whats going on here Cheapy? Why condemn one form and not the other?

[quote name='seththefallen']Thats a brilliant point. I honestly get anoyed when people try to take the moral high ground when it comes to piracy and tell others its wrong. Cheapy does always seem to get his movies and tv shows pirated, unless we're misunderstanding. Whats going on here Cheapy? Why condemn one form and not the other?[/quote]

I think his reasoning is that he lives in Japan and cant get 99% of the American TV or Movies he wants without BT, I could have swore he talked about this a few weeks ago. I agree its a bit hypocritical, but if he truly cant get them in a "legal" way then go ahead DL that stuff.

[quote name='seththefallen']Thats a brilliant point. I honestly get anoyed when people try to take the moral high ground when it comes to piracy and tell others its wrong. Cheapy does always seem to get his movies and tv shows pirated, unless we're misunderstanding. Whats going on here Cheapy? Why condemn one form and not the other?[/quote]

I'll be sure to discuss it next week's show.

Despite what everyone else has said about the live CAGcasts, I enjoy them quite a bit. The most often complaint made against the live shows is that the callers are listless, unintelligent, and bring down the show. I disagree, in my opinion the sheer absurdity of some the callers is very entertaining in a "so bad, it's good" way. Obviously I'm in the minority about this, but I question why do said complainers not call the show themselves to rectify the situation? All they have to do is pick up a phone, which is perhaps a daunting task at first but is fairly easy.

bread's done
Back