CAGcast #94: The One with Major Nelson

Not a big fan of Major Nelson, so this cagcast was pretty lame for me. I wish cheapyd would keep his perpetual man-crush on Major Nelson behind the scenes. It seems that every episode has some sort of nod or reference to Nelson. Kudos to wombat for asking a tough question, even if Nelson dismissed as an often asked one.
I understand you two don't want to burn any bridges with people in the industry, but why all the placating and sucking-up? If you called him some name don't try to Micheal Keaton your way out of it by trying to justify your name-calling antics.
Anyhow, this is still the only podcast that I listen to on a regular basis-- keep up the good stuff.

[quote name='sinewav']Cheapy I have to give you credit for getting Major Nelson on the show. Whether CAG's may agree with him or not it's still a major win for the show and a sign that you've the attention of the big name podcasts.

While I certainly understand your review of Transformers as a fellow Gen 1 fan of the show I have to say that I actually liked the Movie and while it is clearly flawed I found that there are good qualities that neither you nor Shipwreck mentioned for fan and non fan alike:

- The voice of none other than Peter Cullen, the original voice of Optimus Prime which added authenticity to the autobots.
- Among the best CGI work to date from ILM.
- Bumblebee & OP redesign huge but necessary (can you really imagine the hero driving a new beetle?)
- Good moral to the story "No sacrifice, no victory" - this is a movie not just for adults after all
- Just a good old summer popocorn flick

All in all while there were definitely negatives (bad jokes, weak story, the director himself) I think there's enough good stuff in it to warrant the success that it had and like other commercial successes (ie Madden) there are strengths even in works that cater to the masses.[/quote]

Don't forget about the Redisgn of Ironhide. A mini-van transformer would have been ultra weak.

First CAGcast I've listened to in a while (I save them for my drives from WI to Chicago...which I haven't done in a while, go figure.)

The first few minutes of the Major Nelson interview were gold. Glad you guys went down potentially rocky terrain by discussing Wombat's major nelson insults--it was freaking hilarious (more so since I remember when he called nelson a "vagina clown" :lol: )

Can't say I really learned anything new from the interview though. He still came off as a PR guy, acting like Live is mostly perfect. Not that you guys didn't ask the right questions, you did and I was a bit surprised by the honesty of some of them, but it must be difficult to find questions that can't be slyly dodged with PR magic (and you also don't want to make the guy uncomfortable of course.) It sounded like some great fodder for the next interview came up at the end of this one. Unfortunately, we pretty much know how he's going to answer the harder questions: "oh that's another department," "we try to do our best everyday here at MS!" "we are looking into that, I've passed it on to the grade 36 bureaucrats and your request should process within the next 6 years" etc. etc.

Missed the PS3 controversy, but I'm not surprised to see it still going on even after this podcast.

First, congratulations Cheapy D on your new baby.

Second, thanks for another podcast. I remember listening in the spring/summer to Wombat's comments about MN and found it entertaining to hear the two meet (again) on the show. Awkward!

Anyway, there was some discussion on the show about which PS3 ports are arguably superior to the 360 version. Oblivion was mentioned, and I don't think any others were.

Perhaps this was already mentioned to you somewhere - but there is one clear case of the PS3 version being superior that was missed - and that is the rally racing game DiRT, by Codemasters. The PS3 version was released a little later than the PC/360 version, and it is a much smoother and better looking game on the PS3. Also it seems to fully recognize the Logitech G25 wheel which I really appreciate. The 360 does not recognize many wheels outside of that one Microsoft made that was recalled (oops).

I like my driving games and if it takes a month or two to "optimize" the game beyond the original releases, then I'm all for waiting. If more ports like this one come out, I'm willing to consider delayed PS3 release dates a major selling point. Less frustrating bugs = more fun.

bread's done
Back